Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

DI2 with S&S

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

DI2 with S&S

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-15, 02:17 PM
DKMcK 
I'd rather be riding

Bikes: Santana Team Ti 700 S&S, Trek Madone 6, Omega Ti,Klein Palamino, Trek 510

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
DI2 with S&S

What is the best was to break down a tandem with S&S Couplers? There is a single wire running from the front junction between the brifters to another under the stoker bottom bracket. It is attached to the frame with the clips so it can be removed. The battery is on the stoker seat tube. I'm thinking it would be easiest to unplug from the front junction. Warnings, concerns? I'm new to DI2 so learning all I can.
Old 07-13-15, 04:11 PM
akexpress 

Bikes: 2015 Calfee Tetra tandem,2016 Calfee Tetra Adventure Tandem, Ventana ECDM 26 mtn tandem, Ventana ECDM 29r full suspension Mtn tandem ,Ventana Fat tire tandem, Calfee Dragon Fly, Santa Cruz Carbon 5010, 907 Whiteout fat tire

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Front junction will be fine. I unplug there and since we have a coupled tandem also at the rear BB area as we have internal wiring and seat post battery. Try to use the tool that comes with it so you don't stress the wire.
Old 07-13-15, 05:17 PM
chojn1

Bikes: Eriksen Tandem, DIY CF Tandem, Aluminum Tandem, Lightspeed, Cervelo, Specialized, Trek

Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DKMcK
What is the best was to break down a tandem with S&S Couplers? There is a single wire running from the front junction between the brifters to another under the stoker bottom bracket. It is attached to the frame with the clips so it can be removed. The battery is on the stoker seat tube. I'm thinking it would be easiest to unplug from the front junction. Warnings, concerns? I'm new to DI2 so learning all I can.
DKMcK,
Does your bike break up in 2 sections or 3?
Is your wiring internal or external?

If it breaks in 3, then you should add another junction box between the two you currently have.
If the wiring is internal, you should have a junction box at each S&S coupler.
I unplug at all 3 places leaving the wires attached to their respective sections and handle bar. Makes packing a lot easier.

Always carry a long spare wire. I was so glad I did at the last rally when I carelessly crushed one of the wire assembling the bike.

CJ
Old 07-13-15, 05:24 PM
DKMcK 
I'd rather be riding

Bikes: Santana Team Ti 700 S&S, Trek Madone 6, Omega Ti,Klein Palamino, Trek 510

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's a Santana so it breaks into two sections with a collection of tubes. External wiring. It has the plastic clips to hold the wire so it can easily be removed from the down tube and boom tube. Good idea on the extra wire, I could see that happening.
Old 07-14-15, 01:54 PM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DKMcK
It's a Santana so it breaks into two sections with a collection of tubes. External wiring. It has the plastic clips to hold the wire so it can easily be removed from the down tube and boom tube. Good idea on the extra wire, I could see that happening.
Have you had any trouble with the plastic clips?
Old 07-14-15, 04:21 PM
DKMcK 
I'd rather be riding

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by waynesulak
I just got the bike, so no history yet.
Old 07-31-15, 09:06 AM
Pista Largo

Bikes: Bianchi, Trek, Another Trek, Raleigh, Fuji and Santana and another Santana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waynesulak
Ours came loose so I reattached them with superglue. No problems since.