Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tarmac vs Emonda???

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tarmac vs Emonda???

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-15, 08:07 AM
mmesalmon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tarmac vs Emonda???

hey there.. have read a few different posts on but figured id throw another out there . "debating" between the two (i'm a pretty "loyal" specialized" fan) and curious on those who were/are in the same position and chose one or the other and why???

given the price tag on both $10k+ built up, want to be sure im hearing from any/all angles!!

thanks all!!
Old 07-26-15, 08:09 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
You know there are models of both available for far less than $10,000 right?

If you're going to drop that much money on a bike, you need to go test them extensively and draw your own conclusions, of course.
Old 07-26-15, 08:20 AM
mmesalmon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, totally aware that they can be had for less! i've definitely spent time with both and maybe b/c they both are fantastic rides (although each different in a good way), i am looking for what moved people to go one way or the other! honestly, never envisioned myself buying a Trek bike, but my local shop recommended i give them a try, talked about the strides they have made etc..

thanks for your reply!!!
Old 07-26-15, 08:25 AM
CNC2204
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 2015 TARMAC ELITE, almost 3K miles since last Sept.

The down side is i fried the stock Fulcrum/Campy rims, the headset bearings and the cables were sH*tty.

The good side is its everything you want in a racebike, fast [very], quick, great handling.

Frame & fork are solid.

I weigh 270 and have MAVIC KSYRIUM wheels now and got most the bugs worked out.

I'm going to upgrade the crank bearings by years end to match the headset.
Old 07-26-15, 08:37 AM
mmesalmon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you!!!
Old 07-26-15, 11:10 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I test rode the Emonda last summer, along with around 15 other bikes (in the 500, "SL" carbon level). It's the smoothest riding bike I've ever ridden. It's also very stable - plowed over a large pothole while barely noticing, but at the same time very fast responding when wanting to accelerate or turn.

The Domane (trek's endurance bike) I thought was rather dead feeling. The Emonda was better, though not as good as the top bikes. On a 1-10 scale, I'd put the Domane at a 1 for road feel, and the Emonda at a 5, with 10 being "has a lot of road feel".

It's a tradeoff you get for a far smoother ride I suppose. It's really it's only drawback of Emonda - like I said amazing ride quality, stability over rough bumps in the road, while still being fast responding and accelerating.

I own a Tarmac but it's from over 5 years ago so it doesn't necessarily compare to a tarmac you'd buy today.

All I can suggest is try test riding both.
Old 07-26-15, 11:44 AM
sam_cyclist
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a bit biased as I consider roubaix/secteur and tarmac/allez geometry to be as good as it gets.

It's widely acknowledged that the tarmac is one of the best bikes on the planet.

I don't have experience with the emonda. I've test ridden various iterations of the domane over the years, and have never been impressed with geometry, fit or ride quality.
Old 07-26-15, 12:30 PM
mmesalmon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks Paul.. have a roubaix now and the tarmac felt more like what i am used to (albeit much faster and a bit stiffer) but i indeed liked the emonda alot!!! a tough call especially at the $$ involved ..

thanks again!!!
Old 07-26-15, 12:31 PM
mmesalmon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Sam!!
Old 07-27-15, 08:25 AM
Csdhlhcky

Bikes: 2014 Tarmac Pro w/Sram Red, 2009 Allez Double

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't give any experience on the Emonda, but I recently purchased a 2014 Tarmac Pro with Sram Red. Incredible bike. Stiff, nimble, light, everything I could ask for in a bike. I have Fulcrum 5's currently but looking for a carbon upgrade to something a bit more aero. I got the bike slightly used from a guy on Craigslist for $2200 shipped. You certainly dont need to spend $10k+ to get an great, (near)top-of-the-line bike
Old 07-27-15, 08:47 AM
txags92

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I test rode both the Emonda and Tarmac versions in the $3-4K range as well as a bunch of other bikes. The Tarmac and the Emonda were the two that my decision came down to. Since both were sold at the same LBS, the bike feel was the deciding factor for me. The Emonda felt just ever so slightly smoother and road vibration was slightly more damped. The Tarmac felt super stiff and fast, but just slightly buzzy. I am sure I would have been very happy with either bike, but when it came down to splitting hairs on the ride quality, the Emonda was my choice.
Old 07-27-15, 08:49 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Csdhlhcky
I can't give any experience on the Emonda, but I recently purchased a 2014 Tarmac Pro with Sram Red. Incredible bike. Stiff, nimble, light, everything I could ask for in a bike. I have Fulcrum 5's currently but looking for a carbon upgrade to something a bit more aero. I got the bike slightly used from a guy on Craigslist for $2200 shipped. You certainly dont need to spend $10k+ to get an great, (near)top-of-the-line bike
Wow...you had a bike shipped off Craigslist? Something I would never do. Bought a lot of bikes off ebay tho.

OP...both great bikes. Geometry, geometry, geometry. If you don't know what geometry works best for you, should be starting with a lower price point bike like one used or an Al Allez or say a CAAD12. The Tarmac and H2 Emonda have very different geometry.
Again both great bikes. I'm a Spesh guy but prefer the geometry of the Emonda.
Old 07-27-15, 09:40 AM
txags92

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Wow...you had a bike shipped off Craigslist? Something I would never do. Bought a lot of bikes off ebay tho.
At that price, it sounds like the bike was bought from an owner who got it via a 5 finger discount. Or maybe it was more than "slightly used". I can't find a listing for the Pro Tarmac with Red, but from what I can see from other models around it, that seems like it would be a $6-8000 bike new.
Old 07-27-15, 09:43 AM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
#1 Wouldn't spend any amount of dollars on a trek.
#2 For the price I would be on something like a Moots.

Otherwise I ride a Tarmac and thats what I would get between those 2.
Old 07-27-15, 10:04 AM
Csdhlhcky

Bikes: 2014 Tarmac Pro w/Sram Red, 2009 Allez Double

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by txags92
At that price, it sounds like the bike was bought from an owner who got it via a 5 finger discount. Or maybe it was more than "slightly used". I can't find a listing for the Pro Tarmac with Red, but from what I can see from other models around it, that seems like it would be a $6-8000 bike new.
Guy was an ex-racer who bought the bike in attempt to start racing again and never ended up doing so. It was a year old, so I didnt buy it new. Great condition though. If you'd like, I can look for some more on Craigslist/eBay. There were a few others I found that fell within the sub-$3000 price range.

Edit: While the first is a Venge, still goes to show that there are plenty of great used bikes out there for a good price. Second, a nice S-Works Tarmac. More expensive that what I paid, but like I said, plenty of nice used bikes around. These were both found within 5 min of searching. The easiest way to find bikes on craiglist nationwide is use "www.searchcraigslist.org"

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/bik/5142051659.html
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...140850335.html

Last edited by Csdhlhcky; 07-27-15 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-27-15, 10:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
105 shoves the chain from one chain-wheel to another quite well, without overspending.
Old 07-27-15, 10:37 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
I really dug the Emonda SLR 6 I rode; it was also really nice looking. With a set of aftermarket wheels like a set of November wheels, that bike would be killer.
Old 07-27-15, 11:15 AM
sam_cyclist
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
You know there are models of both available for far less than $10,000 right?

If you're going to drop that much money on a bike, you need to go test them extensively and draw your own conclusions, of course.
Thee are specs at the $10K price range I would actually pay to avoid. Namely, disc brakes (which add weight) and carbon rims (which are very noisy).

Fortunately, you can actually pay LESS and avoid those questionable specs. Many thousands of dollars less.
Old 07-27-15, 11:24 AM
txags92

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Those examples aren't really in the same ballpark as the deal you got, but I won't jack the thread anymore to talk about it. You appear to have gotten an excellent deal!
Old 07-27-15, 12:30 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Last fall I was in the same situation. After riding both, I went with the Emonda and haven't been sorry.

For me it was the fit, I had a Madone 4.6 before and really dialed in the fit, so since the Emonda was basically the same geometry it made my decision easy.

So far this year i've put 200 miles on it. The more i ride it, the more I enjoy it.

Is one better than the other... I can't say. But i'm very happy with my decision.

Old 07-27-15, 02:23 PM
mmesalmon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Last fall I was in the same situation. After riding both, I went with the Emonda and haven't been sorry.

For me it was the fit, I had a Madone 4.6 before and really dialed in the fit, so since the Emonda was basically the same geometry it made my decision easy.

So far this year i've put 200 miles on it. The more i ride it, the more I enjoy it.

Is one better than the other... I can't say. But i'm very happy with my decision.

very cool, thanks for the pic!

thanks all for your responses, still testing both but at this point leaning ever so slightly to the Tarmac...
Old 07-27-15, 04:28 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 2,240 Times in 1,503 Posts
Originally Posted by sam_cyclist
Thee are specs at the $10K price range I would actually pay to avoid. Namely, disc brakes (which add weight) and carbon rims (which are very noisy).

Fortunately, you can actually pay LESS and avoid those questionable specs. Many thousands of dollars less.
Questionable specs? In your opinion!
Old 07-27-15, 05:22 PM
sam_cyclist
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Questionable specs? In your opinion!
As I said before, I would entertain the possibility of higher quality discs (namely shimano hydraulics).

However, carbon rims are a no go. Ridiculous noise level. Obviously, they provide a terrible braking surface as well, hence necessitating discs. It's a catch 22: the more you spend, the more you have to spend.
Old 07-27-15, 05:30 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
OP, I have CF wheels on three of my 4 bikes. I love then and I have had zero problems with them. Also, no noises that are created by my wheels. The disc or no disc argument is something you need to decide on. I personally would not enjoy long, steep hills with the rim brake CF wheels. I am thinking you might have owned CF wheels before, if you are serious about a 10k bike.

i have not ridden the Emonda, but I did really enjoy riding the Tarmac and, to me, it is a fabulous road bike.
Old 07-27-15, 05:45 PM
sam_cyclist
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The taller carbon rims are noisier for sure. These are not ideological or philosophical concerns for me.

When light, stiff carbon rims reach a certain price point and level of reliability (and low enough noise level) which I consider reasonable, I'll consider them. Same with disc brakes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.