Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

mountain bike or beach cruiser for this ride?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-15, 06:57 PM
kanethagreat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The reason I ask this is because I'm going on a ride on a trail, and don't know what bike to ride. The ride will be a 30-32 mile round trip ride. The break up of the ride will be 8 road/dirt and grass on the side of the road, 2-4 on sidewalks, and 20 miles on the trail. The trail is the Silver Comet trail in northwest metro Atlanta, GA it's paved. This trail has some steep hills. I'm use to most hills on fixies and bikes with gears. Even though this will be my longest ride I am without a doubt prepared for the suffering involed with it. I've rode a stock non adjusted 20 or 22 inch bmx bike 13 miles through the hills on the road, and I'm 5'10". My bike choices are mountain bike or beach cruiser. The beach cruiser is a fixie, and the mountain bike is gear but sub par. The beach cruiser was a gift. My mountain bike I bought for $20 at a yard sale. The bike wasn't great but my other one broke on a ride after 6 years. The mountain bikes problems are only the two lowest gears work, and that it maxes out at like 5 or 6 miles per hour. By maxes out I mean it stops pushing the bike, and just spins the pedals and chain. The beach cruiser seems like the better option, but I wanted to get some options from knowledgeable people. Yes get another bike is perfect when I get that in the budget I will. Thank you for helping me or at least trying.

Last edited by kanethagreat; 07-28-15 at 06:58 PM. Reason: forgot to put thank you
Old 07-28-15, 07:50 PM
energyandair

Bikes: Birdy Red 8 speed, Birdy Blue 21 Speed, Birdy Monocoque 24 Speed, 2002 Devinci Desperado, 1996 Rocky Mountain Hammer Race

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would get a new bike.

Plan B would be to fix the mountain bike.

Plan C would be to ride the beach cruiser but when you combine the riding position and the lack of gears, it doesn't sound like fun.
Old 07-28-15, 08:03 PM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by energyandair
I would get a new bike.

Plan C would be to ride the beach cruiser but when you combine the riding position and the lack of gears, it doesn't sound like fun.
ditto, This sounds to me like your asking for trouble with either bike. I understand that we are all limited by our money supply, but if your seriously considering 30 mile rides that include trails, grass and dirt, then I would check the local bike shops for used mountain bikes. It may not be pretty, but it should be safe and rideable.
good luck.
Old 07-28-15, 08:46 PM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Whichever is the most mechanically sound.
Old 07-29-15, 01:19 AM
kanethagreat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks you guys for the help after looking at videos of the mountain bike I owned I found out that its a landrider autoshift. Which means that is it cant be indexed, and ECT. If I can find a belt to go on it it might come back to a good life. I'm not a big fan of street tires the slick ones. Possibly postponing the ride for a week or so I was supposed to take it with in the next 2 weeks, but it would save time and pain to wait on a better bike.
Old 07-29-15, 01:48 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18436 Post(s)
Liked 4,550 Times in 3,381 Posts
Originally Posted by kanethagreat
Thanks you guys for the help after looking at videos of the mountain bike I owned I found out that its a landrider autoshift
That look like a most unique bike. If the belt is bad, then I think you can get replacements from the company.

We are currently fulfilling orders for LandRider Accessories and Parts.

If you would like to place an order for Accessories or Parts, please email us your order request along with your name, address and telephone number. We will contact you to place your order and obtain your credit card information. If you have a Part request, it is best to send a picture along with your email description, so we can more easily identify the Part you are requesting. We will contact you and let you know the costs.
https://www.landriderbikes.com/contact_us.html

I'd seriously consider yanking off all the Autoshift stuff, and putting on a standard derailleur and shifter.

But, it is easy to get to more than the cost of another beater MTB, so don't spend a fortune on the conversion.

A cyclocross bike would be nice for mixed terrain with not very technical trails, but they can be a bit more expensive.
Old 07-29-15, 04:32 PM
kanethagreat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you I've been looking into other bikes. Considering I live in the country they don't believe in sidewalks unless its in the immediate area of a shopping center and the road isn't shared by a good portion of the drivers. I'd hate to go drop 200-500 on a nice bike imo. Then get on the road and someone hits me or runs me off and I mess up the bike I just spent all this money on. Then there is a good deal of people who steal bike in the areas of trail. Bike locks are secure but a pair of wire cutters and the right strength will allow someone to chomp through it. @CliffordK
Old 07-29-15, 09:58 PM
lynnbike

Bikes: Giant ATX850

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by energyandair
I would get a new bike.

With money limited,I would check the shop online to get a used mountain bikes. It may not be pretty, but it should be safe and rideable.
Old 07-30-15, 02:44 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18436 Post(s)
Liked 4,550 Times in 3,381 Posts
Around here, we have a bike co-op that has quite a few miscellaneous bike parts, but you can never count on some rare items like that autoshift belt drive. But great if you need a few miscellaneous parts to fix up a beater.

There are also a lot of beat up Dept Store MTBs at the local thrift stores, often needing a bit of tinkering, but at very good deals.

And, of course, Craigslist.

The deals are out there if you keep an eye open.

Anyway, there is no reason to not have a fully functioning bike for the ride.