Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon Bike fell to the ground. Could it have damanged the frame?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-15, 07:35 PM
highsis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought this bike yesterday. (Norco Valence Carbon 105 - Bateman's Bicycle Company Toronto ON)

While trying to tie my shoe with the bike leaning against my hip, the bike was tipped over and fell hard to the ground. I've never had single crash or accident while cycling before, and this had to happen a day after I bought my new bike.

Now I'm so worried that the accident might have damaged frame or drivetrain. Seat stays and chain stays in my bike's frame seem rather thin and the bike is very light. The frame is made of Valence Endurance 24T Mid-Modulus Carbon. (so it is not high end 40T carbon whether that means better or worse solidity.)

Is it true carbon never bends? Could it have damaged/bent the bike in any way, especially with frame or drivetrain? I'm so sad at the moment.

Last edited by highsis; 10-04-15 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-04-15, 07:42 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
The carbon is fine. I crashed and fractured 5 bones and the carbon frame was fine.

Depending on which side it fell, the derailleur could have bent. Check that it shifts into the big cog in back without the derailleur hitting the spokes.
Old 10-04-15, 07:48 PM
Bunyanderman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I crashed my carbon frame at 25mph, it slid nearly 10ft before stopping. Sad thing was I had it for less than 200 miles when this happened.

Other than a scratched skewer, and a tear in the bar tap, there was no damage to anything carbon. Carbon bars were just fine, with a slight scratch in the paint underneath the tape (very slight scratch). A slight mark on the saddle, but no actual damage.

My frame/anything carbon didn't even scratch the ground, but it did take impact from falling. I have ridden over 750 miles since the accident with no problems. No damage to the frame or drive-train, luckily at that speed.

You can get it inspected by a professional, or have it looked over by even a bike shop mechanic. I would bet that it is perfectly fine though. Unless the bike is a custom made 8 pound mash of carbon, you shouldn't worry too much.
Old 10-04-15, 07:56 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 944 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest

Depending on which side it fell, the derailleur could have bent. Check that it shifts into the big cog in back without the derailleur hitting the spokes.
This.
More likely the derailleur hanger would get bent if it fell on the drive side. As suggested, double check, carefully by hand, that shifting onto the largest cog is ok.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-04-15, 08:09 PM
bonner1040

Bikes: Salsa Spearfish 3 - VeloLucuma PoloLoco - Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc - Salsa Mukluk 2 - Salsa Vaya 2 - Specialized Vita (Wife)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have crashed my carbon bike more than any of the others. Something about riding fast at night I guess.
Old 10-04-15, 08:10 PM
Number400

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Falling with only it's own weight would most likely not damage anything. Man, I was doing rollers on my TT bike and for some reason just could not get the hang of full aero position before I would go sailing off. My carbon bike whacked the floor so many times and once with a crack so loud that I was sure the frame snapped. Never a problem. Like most here, your bike falling over will not cause any structural damage in most cases.
Old 10-04-15, 08:17 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Especially not a problem since a falling bike seldom actually touches the ground anywhere but on the brifters, bars and saddle edge.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 10-04-15, 08:23 PM
nastystang

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 2015 Specialized Tarmac Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hijack
Old 10-04-15, 08:33 PM
Monkey D.Luffy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JACECOS
hi bikers! A question, which is better to buy? Giant escape 2 2016 or fuji absolute 1.7 2014? The two for similar price thanks
Toyota Prius /thread.