Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you guys/gals compete

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you guys/gals compete

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-15, 12:25 PM
Harvieu25

Bikes: Novara MTN, Merlin Moots Fatbeat, Specialized Allez, Merlin Extralight, BH Ultralight RC

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you guys/gals compete

against yourself?

With the stopwatch being the greatest indicator of visible gains, do you have a loop or route you occasionally like to run and see your time vs distance vs effort?

I've only done this for time once so far, but was very excited when doing a route for the second time I shaved off an enormous amount of time, with only 2 weeks between efforts.
Old 11-01-15, 01:52 PM
tedder

Bikes: 04 Giant TCR Composite 0, Public r16; old Raleigh 10sp; Felt fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Harvieu25
With the stopwatch being the greatest indicator of visible gains, do you have a loop or route you occasionally like to run and see your time vs distance vs effort?
I do this with Strava. Here's an example.

Attached Images
Old 11-01-15, 07:07 PM
ltxi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorta sometimes but not much. Always happy to see a havin' a really good day new personal best over a regular route but that's never a focus when setting out. And if I can't capture on a Velo7 combined with my memory it just don't matter and I don't really care.
Old 11-01-15, 07:23 PM
FBOATSB

Liked 516 Times in 345 Posts
Originally Posted by Harvieu25
against yourself?

I've only done this for time once so far, but was very excited when doing a route for the second time I shaved off an enormous amount of time, with only 2 weeks between efforts.
No, I don't think so. With my poor health and condition issues my goal is just to get a minimum time/distance every day, now indoors due to season When outdoors my usual route includes a track I can run laps on to try to increase endurance in the given time constraints mandated by my wife who loves me
Old 11-01-15, 10:19 PM
a1penguin

Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I compete with myself via setting a goal for number of miles per week. Speed is not really that important, but I do like to look at long term stats to see if there are positive results to increased miles or more hills.
Old 11-02-15, 12:38 AM
waterfish_21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Harvieu25;18286299]against yourself?

Yes.

Strava segments there are 2 that I compete with myself, the first one is a 4 mile stretch about 4 miles into my ride, its all flat on a very clean/smooth paved bike trail. It's easy because I get enough of warmup before getting there before I get too burned out, so the times are pretty constant. The second one is a small climb that is about 1 1/2 miles. It's on my way back on my daily loop but I'm usually too tired to give it all I have unless I stop for a short break at a park 1 mile before it.

I ride for fun and for fitness, competing against myself is pretty fun.
Old 11-02-15, 01:24 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Liked 2,807 Times in 1,803 Posts
Compete against myself, nope. I got competition out of my system years ago, in amateur sports, school and work. And I can't imagine anything less fun than messing with Strava, MapMyRide or similar stuff.

I do informally evaluate my fitness progress weekly or monthly based on how many hills I can manage without walking or resting along my usual routes, how often I stop to catch my breath, and how long I can climb out of the saddle to tackle hills without downshifting.

But my main gauge is how much I enjoyed the ride, how energized I feel later and how much I'm looking forward to the next ride.
Old 11-02-15, 07:27 AM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes. I try to have improvement goals and achievement (fun) goals. Last month, my achievement goals were "don't ride on weekends unless I want to", "50 mile ride" and "more than 350 miles this month". The weekend goal was to prevent burnout, the other two were to prevent getting lazy and to feel like I was progressing.

The improvement goals are usually MapMyRide courses or Strava segments on my commute. Most days I try for "strong but comfortable" pace, but one day a week I pick fast segments and try to go all out. Much of my commute is on multi-use paths, and much of the rest on streets without traffic. I don't make "get a PR" a goal, but "hit X mph average" for the segment.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 11-02-15, 09:15 AM
IrishBrewer

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I don't race but I compete against myself on a couple of loops I like to ride and more recently I've been trying to pick off some Strava segments that not long ago seemed impossible. Last week I got my first two KOMs (the second one only by a second). I find it good motivation to make some of the rides I do often more interesting.
Old 11-02-15, 09:28 AM
RISKDR1

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I do compete against myself. On one of my regular rides there is a segment that I go all out on. I have improved significantly in the last several months and in fact beat my previous best by a full mile per hour on my last Sunday ride. That improvement was over a previous best that was set two weeks before. I am 70 and am thankful that I don't know how fast I would have gone there when I was 40. I remember a 60 mile ride i did when I was around 38. I average 19.5 solo for the full 60 miles. I was not pushing anaerobic threshold. Today I could not hold that pace for 60 miles. Maybe 16 mph solo. It is all relative. I take it a year at a time. I am having a great time though.
Old 11-02-15, 09:38 AM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On certain segments and sometimes I'll look at the overall time for various routes. I try to see how high of a gear I can get into comfortably on one flat/ slightly down stretch that's maybe 1/4 mile. Then there's an off road dip I try to go down and turn as fast as I can to get up the rocky other side as far as possible before having to pedal. A couple other spots where i sprint or pedal downhill just to go fast but not comparing to how much i can get on that same section of trail. Otherwise I'm not always riding the same trails or in a big rush.
Old 11-02-15, 09:41 AM
Needles

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder, 1985 Fuji Pallisade Mixte

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
As a martial artist who has practiced for over 40 years, I can say I ONLY compete with myself, no matter what I'm doing.
Old 11-02-15, 09:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Nah, Just a tourist or utility rider now, But I Do Beat My Self Up emotionally,..
Old 11-02-15, 09:59 AM
yooperbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I end up riding the same route I always check my elapsed time to see if I rode it faster. Sometimes I tell myself it doesn't matter, but I check none the less and am disappointed if my time isn't better than the last time. Just can't help myself.
Old 11-02-15, 11:10 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sure I do, but not every ride. I use Strava.
Old 11-02-15, 12:14 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Nope, some of my bikes don't even have a bike computer.
Old 11-02-15, 12:20 PM
indyfabz

Liked 16,206 Times in 7,605 Posts
No. I got tired of beating myself and losing to myself.
Old 11-03-15, 10:53 PM
tramptrade 
Some Canuck on a Bike

Bikes: Cannondale, Brodie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a couple of "training" rides that I try to get the most out of every time I ride them. I will try to go a few miles further each week, or if I am pressed for time I will try and improve my time over a shorter distance.

I mostly ride semi-loaded and often a pulling a trailer, so I am not so much interested in how fast I can go. I am more interested in building endurance over a long haul. That being said, I usually try to increase my average speed over regular routes.

I don't use a computer or any app to track it, I know when I'm on or off my stride.
Old 11-04-15, 09:33 AM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not really. I check my speed. I want to increase my distances. But to me it's more a matter of getting into better shape.
So even if I only do 10 miles on a certain day, I'm still getting a workout of sorts.
Old 11-04-15, 09:58 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Liked 1,125 Times in 746 Posts
Yep -- all the time
Old 11-05-15, 06:15 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
I don't. I set goals for myself, and even do sprints/intervals from time to time, but I do not keep any records regarding speeds.
Old 11-05-15, 11:23 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Sometimes, but varying traffic patterns always skews the data.
Old 11-06-15, 06:37 AM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Of course
Old 11-06-15, 06:46 AM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use map my ride to show miles, avg. speed, and splits. I am always looking to improve in one or more categories. Currently my focus is on increasing miles.