Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Land Run 100 - 2016

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-15, 06:41 PM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Land Run 100 - 2016

Filled up in 25 hours. Who is going?

FYI - I am m in
Old 11-08-15, 08:04 PM
Maverick 13330

Bikes: 2005 GIANT STP2, 2015 ROAM3, 1993 Trek 7900 Multitrack, Critical Single Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let there be mud.. im in for a century.
Old 11-09-15, 08:21 AM
DirtRoadRunner

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in! Looking forward to it. I did a gravel century last month (Cuban Gravel Crisis in Cuba, MO) and am looking forward to some more next year. The LR course looks relatively flat (compared to the hills around here) so I'm hoping it turns out to be a relatively dry, fast course.
Old 11-09-15, 04:54 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I'm in. But I've had enough mud for a lifetime. Give us gravel.

Flat? It depends on how they choose the course. If they take it through the Cimarron River watershed to the east of Stillwater, there will be some short (less than a mile) but very challenging climbs.
Old 11-09-15, 08:40 PM
DirtRoadRunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The course I saw from last year looked like it had maybe 4,000 ft of climbing on it, which corresponds to a ~50-60 mile ride around here. That being said, I'm still going to train on the hills so I'm ready if it is hillier. And if it is flatter (and dry), perhaps I'll finish ahead of my goal.

Last edited by DirtRoadRunner; 11-09-15 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-09-15, 11:24 PM
Maverick 13330

Bikes: 2005 GIANT STP2, 2015 ROAM3, 1993 Trek 7900 Multitrack, Critical Single Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DirtRoadRunner
The course I saw from last year looked like it had maybe 4,000 ft of climbing on it, which corresponds to a ~50-60 mile ride around here. That being said, I'm still going to train on the hills so I'm ready if it is hillier. And if it is flatter (and dry), perhaps I'll finish ahead of my goal.
I was in that race too.. First time to do a century with only one chain ring(48t), my legs got burned on the 30th miles and got to walk on dozens of LONG hill climbs for the rest of the day. Now with you telling that the LR is flat compare to CGC then im gonna use again the 48t chain ring..

BTW.. I wish Josh Brown make the race longer like the OGRE.

Last edited by Maverick 13330; 11-09-15 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-10-15, 07:09 AM
DirtRoadRunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maverick 13330
I was in that race too.. First time to do a century with only one chain ring(48t), my legs got burned on the 30th miles and got to walk on dozens of LONG hill climbs for the rest of the day. Now with you telling that the LR is flat compare to CGC then im gonna use again the 48t chain ring..

BTW.. I wish Josh Brown make the race longer like the OGRE.
I think I talked to you at the last checkpoint when we were roasting hot dogs. Definitely an epic effort to complete the CGC on a 48t ring! The LR looks flat on a Strava ride I found from last year, but I do think it had lots of short, steep hills - just no big ones (like the CGC hills around Mile 65).

A 150 mile Ozark gravel race would put many other Midwestern gravel rides to shame - it would be pretty easy to string together a route with 12,000+ ft of climbing. I never got to ride the OGRE, but it looks like they aren't putting it on anymore. Some of the roads I ride in Iron and Reynolds counties are just nasty and are repeats of 300-400 ft climbs on 10% grades, all day.
Old 11-10-15, 01:21 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 471 Posts
I'm in. Hope I can actually get the time off work to make it up there.

I think I talked to you at the last checkpoint when we were roasting hot dogs. Definitely an epic effort to complete the CGC on a 48t ring! The LR looks flat on a Strava ride I found from last year, but I do think it had lots of short, steep hills - just no big ones (like the CGC hills around Mile 65).
That is correct. Stillwater's hills are what we roadies call "punchy" or "power hills", short and sometimes steep.

For you guys that did this last year in the mud (or any really muddy course) how much clearance between the tire and the chainstay do I need in order to keep the mud from caking up?
Old 11-10-15, 02:58 PM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm in. Hope I can actually get the time off work to make it up there.

That is correct. Stillwater's hills are what we roadies call "punchy" or "power hills", short and sometimes steep.

For you guys that did this last year in the mud (or any really muddy course) how much clearance between the tire and the chainstay do I need in order to keep the mud from caking up?
The red clay was so thick and sticky, I don't think there was enough clearance no matter what bike ride. If it is muddy like last year, look forward to "hike a bike" and whatever you do, don't set the bike down until you are clear of the mud. Once the mud gets started on the frame it just continues to build until you can't roll the wheels.

FWIW - There were lots of broken derailuers from the mud
Old 11-11-15, 09:33 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker
The red clay was so thick and sticky, I don't think there was enough clearance no matter what bike ride. If it is muddy like last year, look forward to "hike a bike" and whatever you do, don't set the bike down until you are clear of the mud. Once the mud gets started on the frame it just continues to build until you can't roll the wheels.

I agree with Planemaker on all counts. More clearance is better, but it won't be enough if the wetness goes beyond the surface. Carry a stick or other tool to help clear mud from the fork and rear triangle.

The multi-mile hike-a-bike at the DK200 finished off my already-injured shoulders. Surgery in the off-season isn't likely to make things sufficiently better. If the LR100 forecast looks muddy, I won't be making the trip.

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 11-12-15 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-12-15, 07:35 AM
keepamonte

Bikes: Giant Advanced TCR

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in again! Last year the mud took my rear der and 4-5 spokes on a steep climb at mile 21! If there is rain, I will try to borrow a single speed as I won't be taking my chances in that peanut butter again. I will challenge the 4K of climbing with this file, and yes its from a garmin so all things relative.
Land Run 100. Stillwater, Ok - Stillwater, OK
Old 11-12-15, 08:19 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker

Yeah i saw the pics and heard from my parents how bad the mechanicals were.

Originally Posted by keepamonte
I'm in again! Last year the mud took my rear der and 4-5 spokes on a steep climb at mile 21! If there is rain, I will try to borrow a single speed as I won't be taking my chances in that peanut butter again. I will challenge the 4K of climbing with this file, and yes its from a garmin so all things relative.
Land Run 100. Stillwater, Ok - Stillwater, OK
Nice job finishing! Having a single speed backup bike isn't a bad idea at all, I may have to look into that.
Old 11-16-15, 09:03 AM
GravelGuy

Bikes: Colnago Super, Giant, Waterford X11, Look 785 Huez, Merlin Titanium, in past times...Gitane Super Corsa, Ron Stout, Ciocc San Cristabal, Ciocc CX, Colnago Master, Pogliaghi TT, Crescent

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
This is what guys were dealing with in the muck and mire.

There are lots of photos of the LR at kimmorris.com.

After being eaten alive by the clay, and busting a RD, I put two snap links in my chain so next time I will try to convert my bike to a SS at least to ride out of the muck as opposed to having to hike to pavement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mudmud.jpg (101.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 11-16-15, 09:51 AM
DirtRoadRunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelGuy
This is what guys were dealing with in the muck and mire.

There are lots of photos of the LR at kimmorris.com.

After being eaten alive by the clay, and busting a RD, I put two snap links in my chain so next time I will try to convert my bike to a SS at least to ride out of the muck as opposed to having to hike to pavement.
If it is anything like that for 2016, I'll cancel my hotel room in Stillwater and skip the 7 hour drive . I definitely want to hit up some Oklahoma red-dirt gravel, but don't want to destroy my drivetrain either when I can ride or well-drained roads here instead. Hopefully spring is dry-ish so I can make the race!
Old 11-16-15, 10:53 AM
GravelGuy

Bikes: Colnago Super, Giant, Waterford X11, Look 785 Huez, Merlin Titanium, in past times...Gitane Super Corsa, Ron Stout, Ciocc San Cristabal, Ciocc CX, Colnago Master, Pogliaghi TT, Crescent

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
If it is anything like that for 2016, I'll cancel my hotel room in Stillwater and skip the 7 hour drive . I definitely want to hit up some Oklahoma red-dirt gravel, but don't want to destroy my drivetrain either when I can ride or well-drained roads here instead. Hopefully spring is dry-ish so I can make the race!
I'm in and will stay in. Yes LR was tough because of weather, DK was horrid, but I think that comes with the territory, Rain or shine I'll roll off the start line, will try to ride a winter ride or two next year, maybe CIRREM. They might kill me but then I don't have much of a retirement plan anyway....
Old 11-16-15, 05:41 PM
DirtRoadRunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelGuy
I'm in and will stay in. Yes LR was tough because of weather, DK was horrid, but I think that comes with the territory, Rain or shine I'll roll off the start line, will try to ride a winter ride or two next year, maybe CIRREM. They might kill me but then I don't have much of a retirement plan anyway....
Leg-killing climbs, riding til I bonk, and dusty, loose gravel don't bother me too much - but that mud and wet, windy weather are where I draw the line . More power to those who can finish these events over 100 or even 200 miles of slop - for me, that just isn't fun to me (and fun is why I do that stuff). Hopefully, conditions will be decent and I'll see all of you at the ride - I'll be putting in some wintry training miles just for the race, and really don't want them to be in vain. Luckily my Ozark gravel training roads only get muddy in small patches, and are rideable in pretty much all conditions other than snow and ice.
Old 03-08-16, 12:36 PM
Maverick 13330

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm.. A forecast of a wet weather this coming Saturday is a possibility. Be careful to what you wish for alright.😁