Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bike runned over by a Car in a T junction, Car not insured, Priority? UK

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-15, 08:27 PM
FakuVe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

Im a cyclist who had been runover by a car in UK. Luckily Im OK but the consequences could have been fatal.

Anyways now Im claiming the accident so I want to know a couple of things you may be able to answer me.

(sorry for my explanation Im foreigner but I have driving license in Spain and experience on driving as Im 27)

I was a little bit in a rush to go to work so I entered in a T junction , the road I came from it was the smallone to end on the junction.
I will simplifiy. Main Road going from A to B or B to A (2 ways)
The minor road ending on the main road going to C on the other direction (2 ways)

I was going from C to B and there were cars stoped to do that turn (turning to right)
There were cars stopped from A going to C (to turn right to the minor road)
There was no cars from B to A.

So I stoped on the junction and as I saw cars stopped from my left triying to turn right I decided to join the main road going to C
What happened is that once on the road one car took over from the outside the cars that were stopped to turn to the minor road to C
So I didnt expect that car , once I joined the road the car hitted me and I fell down to the street, luckly with my ass (I was not wearing helmet)

I couldnt stop to claim the accident to the moment as I had to go to work (I had a disciplinary process opened due to an illnes and some latencies) I coulndt be late so I checked myself fast and I went by run as my bike was broken down (I locked it nearby)

I took the car plate and the details of 1 witness and the driver of the car.

That day I arrive late at work which leads to the enworsen of my latencies status, my boss tell me that he is not going to prolonge my probational contract.

The following day I go to the hospital to check my back and the bones are OK, but I feel some muscular pain that persists.

After 10 days I decide to claim the accident , as my back is still hurting, my bike is broken down and sacked from my job.

I call the solicitors and after taking all the data the solicitor check if the car is not insured, so she tell me to proceed she has to notice Motor Insurance Bureau.
I tell her to stop the process first so I can contact with the driver and check if we find a friendly solution (a compensation) so he dosent get penalised by authorities and we dont lose time opening a process.

I text the driver about this, he call me back harrashing me asking for my address. I dont provide my address and he turn down the call.

That is the situation till today. The truth is that I dont know if the driver was guilty on the accident first, but I know that the worst part its me, I lost my bike, my job, and have an injure on my back.

I think I deserve a compensation, what do you think about this? shall I sue the driver? How long does the authorities keep the CCTV images (Im running out of time for this)?
If you think Im likely to win a process, how much do you think I can get? How much shall I ask the driver then for a friendly solution?

Thank you,
Attached Images
Old 11-24-15, 09:30 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5993 Post(s)
Liked 2,931 Times in 1,626 Posts
Step 1 --- delete this post, and make it a rule never to discuss details on an accident where there may be litigation on any public forum, or in writing anywhere.
Step 2 --- discuss all the above with your solicitor and follow her advice, including using her to negotiate a "friendly" private settlement
Step 3 --- see steps 1 and 2.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-25-15, 12:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18596 Post(s)
Liked 16,094 Times in 7,557 Posts
Not buying it for a sec.
Old 11-25-15, 08:13 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fbinny
step 1 --- delete this post, and make it a rule never to discuss details on an accident where there may be litigation on any public forum, or in writing anywhere.
Step 2 --- discuss all the above with your solicitor and follow her advice, including using her to negotiate a "friendly" private settlement
step 3 --- see steps 1 and 2.
ditto!!!
Old 11-26-15, 11:30 AM
badrad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
So there were cars in the queue waiting to turn right safely, you jumped the queue and turned right and got hit?