Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Build Update #2: 50s Paff

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-15, 10:33 AM
markk900

Liked 667 Times in 355 Posts

Thanks to a warmer than usual December, I was able to correct (most) of my painting crises since the last update. Pretty happy with the overall outcome (and thanks to [MENTION=84826]randyjawa[/MENTION] for his pointers on his site).

Overall the process has revealed that the original bike had chrome fork ends, chrome crown, and chrome dropouts. I am leaving them as "recovered" as a) don't want to spend $$$$ to rechrome everything, and b) looking for a fun nod to the past and not a museum build. If someone in the future wants to do that I have done nothing to prevent that type of build

Forgive the horrible background but can't take the bike outside at the moment so this is the best I can fit in (in my dungeon):

Paint is an almost perfect match to a patch I found on the steerer tube, so overall I am chuffed. Still need to line the transitions between the chrome ends and the new paint.

I've cleaned the silver paint off of the brake calipers - one has a bit of a weak spring but should be OK (and yes I will be cleaning up the paint line on the bottom headset cup!):

Next steps are: reinstall the headset and bottom bracket, and most importantly replace the rims. Front is rusted through in multiple places, and rear is an obvious replacement ("Made in Canada" probably not factory original). I have been hammering out dents in the fenders, but the bodywork (chaincase and fenders) will likely be untouched until spring.

The original colour scheme included a white panel on the steerer, and a white panel on the seat tube with a pair of white rings above and below the panel. I am not sure if I want to do that as I am really digging the dark green throughout. As well, all of the cutouts in the lugs had white paint in them....thinking that might be a bit too foo-foo for me but I have time to think about it.....suggestions?

Anyway, just wanted to update the crowd on the progress....bike looks beautiful right now.....

Mark
Old 12-06-15, 11:12 AM
juvela

Liked 3,523 Times in 2,292 Posts
thanks very much for this new update.

great to see that you were able to surmount painting difficulties.

look forward to the next update.

btw - found this listing which illustrates the bicycle's Agrati Brianza lugs, crown & shell-

[Agrati offered the Brianza seat lug in both malaguti style and "regular."]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
crowns .jpg (99.4 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by juvela; 12-06-15 at 12:15 PM. Reason: addition
Old 12-06-15, 11:39 AM
markk900

Liked 667 Times in 355 Posts
[MENTION=333224]juvela[/MENTION] - thank you very much - I did some preliminary searching for any information on the lug set and came up with nothing. Your attachment is very welcome.
Old 12-06-15, 12:25 PM
juvela

Liked 3,523 Times in 2,292 Posts
housekeeping suggestion -

it might be easier for readers to follow the project if the threads could be combined. expect the forum must receive new readers on an ongoing basis. they will not have the background to follow these later threads.

barring amalgamation, here are the earlier threads:

#1 - https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...treasures.html

#2 - https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...-pictures.html

#3 - https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...-50s-paff.html
Old 12-06-15, 12:31 PM
devinfan

Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
Nicely done! The green looks fantastic.
Old 12-07-15, 10:05 AM
Centaurious

Bikes: 1984 Raleigh Kodiak , KHS Sierra Something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a tip for a clean transition from paint to chrome, lay down pin-striping and then start your tape in the middle of the stripe. It will give a cleaner edge to the paint.
Old 12-07-15, 12:40 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Liked 1,129 Times in 657 Posts
Mark,

digging that hat green as well.

Your choice as always but if I may, white panel an accent would really help the green stand out. or maybe a creme colour.