Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brake cable question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Brake cable question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-15, 09:12 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Brake cable question

Hi everybody,
I am looking to replace the brake cables on my road bike. I have read that it is a good idea to use a scribe or awl to open up the cable housing after it is cut. I have also read that a metal file is helpful too for taking burrs off of the cable. Can anyone recommend a particular size or model for these items?
Old 12-11-15, 09:16 PM
Malemute_Kid

Bikes: Gary Fisher Wingra, Redline Monocog 29er, Specialized Sequoia Elite, Pivot 429 Trail, Salsa Mukluk

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For taking off the burrs, a Dremel rotary tool with the cutoff wheel works great, and is faster than a file.
Old 12-11-15, 09:20 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Scribes/awls, by definition, are tapered. The size doesn't matter (other than generally speaking. buy it in person). But you would want to buy an Awl, anyway, as it will be more comfortable to use.

Don't file the cable, you would file the housing end perpendicular, after cutting with side cutters. Make sure to cut along the bias of the housing (usually visible through the vinyl) for the cleanest, easiest to prepare end. If you are using compressionless housing, you will need to use a wire rope (cable) cutter.

*edit*

If you are going to use a dremel, use it to cut clean through, don't use an emery (or even a reinforced) cutting disk to dress something...that's a good way to shatter it. Use a sanding drum or grinding stone attachment.
Old 12-11-15, 09:38 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wschruba
Scribes/awls, by definition, are tapered. The size doesn't matter (other than generally speaking. buy it in person). But you would want to buy an Awl, anyway, as it will be more comfortable to use.

Don't file the cable, you would file the housing end perpendicular, after cutting with side cutters. Make sure to cut along the bias of the housing (usually visible through the vinyl) for the cleanest, easiest to prepare end. If you are using compressionless housing, you will need to use a wire rope (cable) cutter.

*edit*

If you are going to use a dremel, use it to cut clean through, don't use an emery (or even a reinforced) cutting disk to dress something...that's a good way to shatter it. Use a sanding drum or grinding stone attachment.
Thanks, what do you mean by the "bias" of the housing?
Old 12-11-15, 09:46 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,372 Posts
Bias in this case means to cut across the spiral to minimize the resulting burr. Cutting more parallel to the spiral tends to deform the end heavily. When just starting the casing cut you can feel the cutter blades (I use diagonal cutters)slip between the sprials. After the cut I open the inner liner with a sharpened spoke (at work. At home I have proper scribes) then square up the casing end (and remove any burr too) with a bench grinder. If you use a bench grinder be aware that the spiral will heat up a lot and can distort the outer casing plastic so pressing a ferule end cap can be hard. Andy.
Old 12-11-15, 10:11 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by BROOKLINEBIKER
Thanks, what do you mean by the "bias" of the housing?
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Bias in this case means to cut across the spiral to minimize the resulting burr. Cutting more parallel to the spiral tends to deform the end heavily. When just starting the casing cut you can feel the cutter blades (I use diagonal cutters)slip between the sprials. After the cut I open the inner liner with a sharpened spoke (at work. At home I have proper scribes) then square up the casing end (and remove any burr too) with a bench grinder. If you use a bench grinder be aware that the spiral will heat up a lot and can distort the outer casing plastic so pressing a ferule end cap can be hard. Andy.
This, pretty much.

I assume that you don't have a bench grinder or a rotary tool, since you don't have an awl, so...buy a fine (as opposed to course) single-bastard mill file. Nicholson seems to be a popular brand in big box stores, though there are much better ones out there. Wear a glove on the hand holding the housing, as a new file will produce a very painful wound if you slip. Single bastard files only cut pushing, so don't drag it backwards, or you'll dull the teeth.
Old 12-11-15, 10:35 PM
BikingZombie

Bikes: Surly CC

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or just cut it and cap it. You can pick & file it, or not. I haven't, and that might put me in some ghetto class of those that take care of their bikes, but as long as you have a good pair of clippers I don't think you need to doctor the end with a pick and file.
Old 12-11-15, 11:05 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

BZ- You're right in that not sweating the details is really needed. But those little things do add up and as a pro my customers expect it. I will say that if reusing inner cables that have been previously cut and not poking open the inner casing liner can cause the inner cable's raw end to fray open as it's fed through. That's a real hassle at best. Andy.
Old 12-12-15, 08:03 AM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by wschruba

Or, as I managed to do once, the cutting wheel grabs the strands of the compressionless housing wraps them around itself and yanks the dremel out of your hand and creates an enormous snarl of broken wheel, tangled strands and liner with a delightful garnish of vinyl.
Old 12-12-15, 10:25 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by Ronsonic
Or, as I managed to do once, the cutting wheel grabs the strands of the compressionless housing wraps them around itself and yanks the dremel out of your hand and creates an enormous snarl of broken wheel, tangled strands and liner with a delightful garnish of vinyl.
Let me tell you about sticking my arm in a still spinning washing machine sometime... Andy
Old 12-12-15, 10:26 AM
Vipon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i use a sharpened spoke as the awl
Old 12-12-15, 12:00 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Yeah. A sharpened spoke works, or any other cylindrical metal object (e.g. nail) that you can file to a nice point. Often you can clean up a jagged cut with stout diagonal cutters, which I find work better than cable cutters for cutting spiral housing. A fine tooth file is good but I use a Dremmel or grinding wheel if I deem the cut to be insufficiently clean. The issue with the latter two is that they can quickly generate enough heat to melt the plastic sheath and lining, which is OK if you successfully open the housing and, if needed, trim off any melted sheath.
Old 12-12-15, 12:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
in hand files in the same specific cut model is finer on a short file than a long one

Overlapping V and U jawed Housing and cable cutters cut from all sides At once ,

so are better that straight nippers like diagonal cutting ones.

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-12-15 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-12-15, 04:56 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 725 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
in hand files in the same specific cut model is finer on a short file than a long one

Overlapping V and U jawed Housing and cable cutters cut from all sides At once ,

so are better that straight nippers like diagonal cutting ones.
My Felco cutters have V-shaped blades but they still leave the housing out-of-round. I take the time to file the end flat, and round out the inside with an ice pick. It takes maybe 15 seconds per end. I pop on a ferrule and the job is done right.
Old 12-13-15, 10:09 AM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks everyone, this is great information. Can anyone point me to a video showing filing of the brake cables? (I would like to have a visual model to look at it when I swap out the cables.)
Old 12-13-15, 10:25 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked 1,099 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
My Felco cutters have V-shaped blades but they still leave the housing out-of-round. I take the time to file the end flat, and round out the inside with an ice pick. It takes maybe 15 seconds per end. I pop on a ferrule and the job is done right.
Cable cutters do a fine job for cutting inner wires and straight (or nearly straight) inner wire shift housing. They aren't so good for spiral wound brake housing and, like Andrew, I use side cutter pliers and work the edge between adjacent coils. I still have to clean up the small burr with a file and open the liner with a pointed awl.
Old 12-13-15, 07:39 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Cutting and Sizing Cable Housing - Park Tool
Old 12-13-15, 07:48 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by BikingZombie
Or just cut it and cap it. You can pick & file it, or not. I haven't, and that might put me in some ghetto class of those that take care of their bikes, but as long as you have a good pair of clippers I don't think you need to doctor the end with a pick and file.
Ditto. Good cutters make good cuts. I never even thought of filing the ends of cable housing. Cut and install. If I make a bad cut, just trim the burr. Any good cutters are capable of that.