Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tanis solid tire

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-15, 07:55 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Tannus solid tire

I read about these tires today and wondered if anyone had ever seen them or rode on them. They look intriguing.
Tannus Tires - Solid Bicycle Tires
Old 12-17-15, 08:17 PM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks.
Old 12-17-15, 09:07 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
No, I've never seen them or ridden on them.
I've had three flats in the last two years - that's about 7,000 miles. Not ready to give up on pneumatic tires.
Old 12-17-15, 09:49 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,806 Times in 1,802 Posts
Looks interesting. I'd consider them for my errands and short hop riding. Considering the weight of my puncture resistant tires and goop-filled tubes, a well designed solid tire probably wouldn't be any more sluggish.

The main advantage a pneumatic tire/tube setup might continue to offer may be the ability to adjust pressure for different rider weights and surfaces. I like being able to reduce pressure to around 50-60 psi for gravel and grass, and 70-80 psi for smooth roads.
Old 12-17-15, 09:54 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
did a little digging... at (source Bike Rumor article) 380gm for 23mm, it's probably an advantage weight wise, in as much as i don't have a rim strip or tube and i don't have to carry any tire fixing paraphernalia, extra tube, patch kit or CO2, tire pump or tire levers. and can reduce the size of, or eliminate altogether, any saddle pouch.

anyway, if this is legit, all i can say is, "IT'S ABOUT FRICK'N TIME!!".

at the price, i'll probably i'll take the, "see if Mikey likes it" first. and if so, then i'll probably get one for the rear.

that damn tube (!) is quite a prima donna, demanding concessions from all the other components just in order to protect it's precious cargo. would be nice to be shed of it once and for all; maybe reinventing the wheel altogether. if so, we could also discard that annoying idiomatic metaphor too.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 12-17-15 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-17-15, 10:09 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,927 Posts
You know if that tire is a homogeneous material all the way through, then theoretically you should be able to wear it down until your rim starts rubbing the ground on the corners.
Old 12-17-15, 10:20 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i hear Park Tool has a solid tire tread wear indicator on the drawing boards as we speak (est MSRP $65).
Old 12-17-15, 10:58 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18463 Post(s)
Liked 4,568 Times in 3,393 Posts
I rarely get flat tires in the sunshine
But, unfortunately I get the occasional flat in the rain

I believe in riding to the right, at least around cars. And, that also puts me more at risk of road debris.

So, I've decided to put in an order for some tires for use on my "rain bike".

Musai Aither 1.1 Road Bike Tires $50 each for 700x23 1.1 tires (cheaper for 1.0).

They should arrive next week. Then I should get them mounted either just before, or just after Christmas, as my new :rain tires:.

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
You know if that tire is a homogeneous material all the way through, then theoretically you should be able to wear it down until your rim starts rubbing the ground on the corners.
Yeah, they look homogeneous. They are rated for 5000 or 6000 miles or so. (for 23mm?), but I don't know how flat of a top that is, or if it makes any difference for typical handling. If sidewalls don't wear out, perhaps they can be recapped a few times.

Consider my Marathon Plus tires (700x25) are rated at 595 grams, and I managed to get a flat last year the first week I had them mounted. Even my Origin8 Elimin8er tires are rated at 450g, I think.

Anyway, I'm excited about the Tannus tires, but they're not here quite yet.

There were a couple of recent threads about them, and I think a couple of the people posting had actually tried them.
Old 12-18-15, 07:07 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 457 Posts
I'm happy for others to be the beta testers. Airless tires are typically very hard on rims, and I'll take the rolling resistance claims with a grain of salt for now.
Old 12-18-15, 07:18 AM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
They've been discussed pretty often here. The site search function isn't that good. Try adding "site:bikeforums.net" to a Google search.
@raygunden mentioned he liked them, last week. His bottom line was if you're not constantly fixing flats, they're a solution to a problem you don't have. Makes sense to me. If flats become a problem on my commute (1 in 1500 miles so far), I'll try Gatorskins or Schwalbe first.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Last edited by SloButWide; 12-18-15 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-18-15, 07:34 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

Anyway, I'm excited about the Tannus tires, but they're not here quite yet.

There were a couple of recent threads about them, and I think a couple of the people posting had actually tried them.
Don't get too excited. I've tried a very similar product in the UK. The weight isn't a problem, but the rolling resistance is atrocious. Really, really atrocious, to the extent that when climbing it felt I was in at least two gears higher. Plus, the edges of the tyre tended to flake off at the rim. I'd never use them again, except possibly on a trainer.
Old 12-18-15, 08:45 AM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I notice a note at the site saying that they are no good for trainers because the bare metal traction they offer is not good. Don't they make bridge decks with bare metal?
Old 12-18-15, 10:20 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3816 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 2,952 Posts
These pop up every few years. A friend tried them on a lark, money back guarantee. He sent them back after one ride. Slow, hard, just overall POS. Remember, pneumatic tires were a welcome advancement in the early days of cycling.
Old 12-20-15, 10:05 PM
yooperbiker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Solid bike tires kept the chain driven "safety" bicycle from being popular until Mr. Dunlop invented the pneumatic tire. This "new" solid tire is moving backwards over a hundred years?

These are sure to suck.

Edit: Looked at a few online reviews. Not full of hate, so maybe?? Somebody try them and give us an opinion. I am very skeptical to say the least.

Last edited by yooperbiker; 12-20-15 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-20-15, 11:20 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by yooperbiker
Solid bike tires kept the chain driven "safety" bicycle from being popular until Mr. Dunlop invented the pneumatic tire. This "new" solid tire is moving backwards over a hundred years?

These are sure to suck.

Edit: Looked at a few online reviews. Not full of hate, so maybe?? Somebody try them and give us an opinion. I am very skeptical to say the least.
I've got some on order that should arrive, maybe Monday, but I'm not sure if I'll get them installed before Christmas. And, you'll have to wait a bit if you want a review after 5,000 to 10,000 miles.

Solid rubber tires have come a long way since they came out a century ago. Those old tires would actually have been solid rubber. Todays tires are more like a foam rubber. Even those from a decade ago were HEAVY

I've used solid rubber tires on wheelbarrows, and wouldn't use anything else. Of course, that is a bit different from a bike.

I don't get that many flats during the summer, so I may just keep these on my winter commuter, when it is a pain to fix flats in the dark in the rain, and I seem to get quite a few more wet weather flats than dry weather flats.

My nephew is having a tough time with flat tires, so if the solid rubber tires would come out in 520/23, I'd be all over them. We'll see how the test goes, then perhaps I'll write to the company about more sizes.
Old 12-21-15, 08:35 AM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm probably due for a flat. I don't understand why, but in the 11 years since I re-discovered cycling I haven't had a single flat.
I ride around 2k miles a year so I know I have well exceeded the typical flat free interval.
But my reality is what it is. I don't carry or even own a tube patch kit or tire changing tools.
I had my lbs mech install my upgraded tires.
When the inevitable happens, I'll call darling wife to pick me up in the suv and have lbs fix the flat.
I'm on very good terms with the mechanic and ply with Guinness on occasion.
It's my system, and it works
Old 12-21-15, 08:42 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1356 Post(s)
Liked 1,253 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1
I'm probably due for a flat. I don't understand why, but in the 11 years since I re-discovered cycling I haven't had a single flat.
I ride around 2k miles a year so I know I have well exceeded the typical flat free interval.
But my reality is what it is. I don't carry or even own a tube patch kit or tire changing tools.
I had my lbs mech install my upgraded tires.
When the inevitable happens, I'll call darling wife to pick me up in the suv and have lbs fix the flat.
I'm on very good terms with the mechanic and ply with Guinness on occasion.
It's my system, and it works
Clean roads help with that.

What tires do you have?

Old 12-21-15, 10:02 AM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I once stumbled upon the website of a local Tannus distributor, but I've never seen them in person nor ride them. I've been commuting since March (1,700kms this year) and only had two flats, and that was before I switched my MTB tyres for skinnier urban ones. Haven't had a flat in months (hope I'm not tempting my luck with this statement) and my route is a bike path full of urban debris.

The color assortment does look fun tho.
Old 12-21-15, 10:02 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
did a little digging... at (source Bike Rumor article) 380gm for 23mm, it's probably an advantage weight wise, in as much as i don't have a rim strip or tube and i don't have to carry any tire fixing paraphernalia, extra tube, patch kit or CO2, tire pump or tire levers. and can reduce the size of, or eliminate altogether, any saddle pouch.

anyway, if this is legit, all i can say is, "IT'S ABOUT FRICK'N TIME!!".

at the price, i'll probably i'll take the, "see if Mikey likes it" first. and if so, then i'll probably get one for the rear.

that damn tube (!) is quite a prima donna, demanding concessions from all the other components just in order to protect it's precious cargo. would be nice to be shed of it once and for all; maybe reinventing the wheel altogether. if so, we could also discard that annoying idiomatic metaphor too.
Heard of tubeless? Great setups for off road, cross and road soon.
Old 12-22-15, 10:07 PM
CliffordK

The tires arrived yesterday.

size: 700x23

Pushing on the tread, it has some give, somewhat like 80 psi or so.

According to the Tannus website, the tire should be good for rims with an internal width of 13, 14, or 15 mm. Mine is about 12.8mm bead to bead, so a bit tight.

They also, by default, only ship pins for the 14 & 15 mm internal width rims. And, nobody seems to be advertising the replacement pins.

However, my old Rigida style rims seem to take the 14mm (17.5mm) pins ok.

The tire fit seems to be very tight. I can't get it started on the rim, although perhaps I'll be able to force it over the rim, then seat the whole tire rather than seating a little at a time.

I did buy their pliers (plastic). But they seem a bit awkward to use. I'm thinking I need something more like Sheet Metal Vice Grips to compress the tire as I mount it. But, with wider jaw opening. I may end up making my own installation pliers.

One other note is that apparently removing the tire requires cutting the pins (again, I'm not sure where replacements are available, but I'll probably be able to source them ahead of time). Then, if the tire is a beast to install, hopefully it can be removed without too much effort.

Anyway, I decided to true my wheel to my approx 1/2mm tolerance. Perhaps I'll work on trying to get it even a bit better.

I think I'll concentrate on getting ready for Christmas now, and work on mounting the first tire after Christmas...

I was thinking, perhaps the company should make some "tubular" type tires. Just glue them on to mount, and peal them off when one is done. It would seem easier to deal with.
Old 12-22-15, 10:20 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,027 Times in 576 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The tire fit seems to be very tight. I can't get it started on the rim, although perhaps I'll be able to force it over the rim, then seat the whole tire rather than seating a little at a time.

I did buy their pliers (plastic). But they seem a bit awkward to use. I'm thinking I need something more like Sheet Metal Vice Grips to compress the tire as I mount it. But, with wider jaw opening. I may end up making my own installation pliers .....

Well, at least it's easier than changing a tube.

But I will look forward to hearing the conclusion.
Old 12-22-15, 10:47 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by jon c.
Well, at least it's easier than changing a tube.

But I will look forward to hearing the conclusion.
While not as easy to change as a tube, I won't have to worry about doing it in the rain or on a tight schedule. Plus, I'll be able to leave my pump, spare tubes, and patch kits all at home, at least in theory. I'll have to figure out how to deal with trailers though

Something like changing a nipple will be a huge hassle if ever needed.

We'll see about the mileage. Tannus is suggesting 5K, more or less. Without rotating front to rear, the front tire could last quite a bit longer.
Old 12-23-15, 06:41 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 621 Posts
Could you put the tire in hot water to soften it ? Roll it around in the bathtub?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 12-23-15, 07:18 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Could you put the tire in hot water to soften it ? Roll it around in the bathtub?
I don't keep my house real hot in the winter, so I was wondering about warmer. But, I don't need it to expand in width... well, maybe bigger in diameter. But, if I can force it over the rim, I should be able to get it to drop into place.

But, I have to work on it after Christmas. I don't want to get it half installed and not be able to ride my bike.
Old 12-26-15, 12:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by jskash
I read about these tires today and wondered if anyone had ever seen them or rode on them. They look intriguing.
Tannus Tires - Solid Bicycle Tires
ride for a "workout"? they will make your workout harder if that is what you want.

another thread on same topic ? Wheelchair manufacturers use that sort of foam plastic ring inside wheel chairs wheels .

to remove those tires to put in a Pneumatic Tube, We , in the shop, take the tire off with a hacksaw.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.