Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone tired Grand Bois tires or similiar tires with emphasis on feel?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-16, 11:41 AM
nightfly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

Been running Panaracer Pasela Messenger tires (basically all black Pasela Tourguards) in 28s for awhile and am pretty happy with them. Just curious about some tires like the Grand Bois that emphasize feel and subtleness over durability. The Paselas feel like a good compromise but I'm intrigued. Anyone ride them? Others that are similar?

Oops shoud be "tried" no "tired". No way to edit topic...
Old 01-06-16, 11:54 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 121 Posts
What size are you considering?

The Grand Bois or Compass tires are generally going to feel (and arguably will be) faster and more compliant ("suppleness") than the tires you are on now. This is a combination of the tire weight, casing design and lack of puncture belt.
Old 01-06-16, 12:17 PM
nightfly

Probably the same- 700 x 28c seems like a good compromise width and fits my Soma Rush frame with little room to spare. Since it's basically a fun/commuter sort of bike, no need to go narrower and don't think 32s would fit.

So either the Grand Bois Cerfs Green or the Chinook Pass if I really want to spend a fortune to get black sidewalls and the ultimate feel.

Last edited by nightfly; 01-06-16 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-09-16, 09:08 PM
Pacific

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had sets in 28, 32, and 38. The 28s were the best. Unbelievable difference compared to, say, Gatorskins. The 28s and 38s were with the extra light casings, which are noticeably more supple than the standard casings. The Clement Stradas are almost as good, IMO.
Old 01-09-16, 10:01 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 165 Posts
They are the best clincher tires I have ever used. Period. They match the feel of the best tubulars I have been able to find.
Old 01-10-16, 11:29 AM
tashi

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
I've had 28c Grand Bois' and Vittoria Open Corsa's, they both ride amazingly smoothly on nice pavement and I think they smooth out rough surfaces better than stiffer tires as well. They both feel just as fast as 23's, and possibly faster due to their increased dampening effect vs. 23's. They feel like suspension on certain surfaces.

I bang them around on dirt roads and smooth trails as well and not flatted. I check my tire pressure every ride with high-performance tires like this. I had a reoccurring problem with flats on one Grand Bois, I believe there was a defect in the casing. Three other GB's have been flawless, as have the Vittorias. The GB's did daily mixed-surface winter commuting as well as fast road/gravel rides, the Vittorias have only been subjected to fair weather road (& gravel obviously ) bikin' so far.
Old 01-10-16, 11:33 AM
tashi

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Also: I've used a lot of Paselas. LOTS. Zero problems, they're my go-to tire for urban bikes. I don't bother with the TG version as I haven't had problems with flats (proper tire pressure is an amazing thing!) so I go for the better feel and lower price. I figure that they're good enough for everything up to the bike that I want to be as fast and smooth as possible, then I splurge for the Vittoria's.
Old 01-10-16, 03:20 PM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I've ridden the 28 paselas and liked them but now I am really liking the Challenge Strada Bianca (30mm). They also make a 27mm called Paris Roubaix if 30 is too wide for your bike.
Old 01-11-16, 08:55 AM
jtbadge

Bikes: Newish steel.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pacificaslim
I've ridden the 28 paselas and liked them but now I am really liking the Challenge Strada Bianca (30mm). They also make a 27mm called Paris Roubaix if 30 is too wide for your bike.
I have been running these on my Space Horse for a few months. Really fast and smooth. Highest quality tire I've laid hands on.
Old 01-11-16, 11:37 PM
Robofunc

Bikes: Schwinn, Bottecchia, Miyata, projects

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been running Grand Bois Cyprčs 700x32s for a little over a year on my main bike (80s sport touring converted to fixed). I love them.
Old 01-12-16, 11:54 AM
max-a-mill
aspiring dirtbag commuter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just an idea; splurge for a nice front tire and keep a beefier harder wearing one on the back.

A nice supple 28 up front does wonders for smoothing out the ride.

the back tire is usually where all the abuse happens so i opt for something cheaper and more durable back there. if your light you may be can probably do OK with a supple high end tire in back but IMHO if you're big like me those tires with paper thin casings are just gonna leave you stranded with a ripped sidewall eventually if you are riding places where the asphalt isn't perfect.
Old 01-12-16, 10:59 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
I'm running the Compass Stampede Pass 32's on two bikes. They measured more like 29mm when first installed, so I see no reason to go any narrower. (have "grown" a bit by now, I'm sure) By far my favorite tires ever. Fast and comfy.
Old 01-14-16, 12:33 AM
Robofunc

Bikes: Schwinn, Bottecchia, Miyata, projects

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I weigh about 150 and ride on a mix of paved city roads and crappy brick city roads. My secret to supple tire longevity is brakes.
Old 01-14-16, 11:48 AM
nightfly

Think I'll splurge on a pair of Chinook Passes in the spring or when my Paselas get a little more worn out. Thanks for the feedback. Besides the price, they sound great.
Old 01-22-16, 09:25 PM
pyze-guy
Yup

Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
They are the best clincher tires I have ever used. Period. They match the feel of the best tubulars I have been able to find.
100% agree. I love mine.
Become reality to me