Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Shipping a Bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-16, 09:57 AM
AZSkeptic

Bikes: 2014 Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shipping a Bike

I'm an attorney who will be starting a two week trial mid-March on the other side of the country. I'd like to continue some training during that period and am contemplating sending my bike and training stand to the hotel where I'll be staying. Has anyone had any experience with this, and if so, any tips on the best and most affordable way to go about doing this?
Old 01-15-16, 10:20 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Hmmm. Disassemble and pack the bike and trainer. Ship across country. Reassemble and set up at the other end. Then redo everything 2 weeks later.

Honestly, "affordable" isn't a word that comes to mind.
Old 01-15-16, 10:57 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Many options.

Affordable: go to your LBS and ask for a bike box + packing material, check out "how to pack/ship a bike" tutorials online, and then figure out the convenience/cost ratio of either shipping it via FedEx/UPS or bringing it with you on the plane as stowed luggage. Maybe check out BikeFlights.

Less affordable: have your local shop deal with packing and shipping your bike; arrange for a local shop on the other end to receive, unpack, assemble. And then reverse the process on the way back.

Expensive: Get a dedicated hardcase bike case, like some of the Thule offerings or similar, and then... pack and ship yourself, have a shop do it, etc.

And there's any number of variables in between. Have a shop pack the bike, but pick up to ship on your own or take it on the plane with you; have the shop pack it in their bike box; have the shop pack it in their rental hardcase or your purchased hardcase, etc.
Old 01-15-16, 12:02 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 621 Posts
Rent a bike at your destination.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-15-16, 12:38 PM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Many options.

Affordable: go to your LBS and ask for a bike box + packing material, check out "how to pack/ship a bike" tutorials online, and then figure out the convenience/cost ratio of either shipping it via FedEx/UPS or bringing it with you on the plane as stowed luggage. Maybe check out BikeFlights.
I've used BikeFlights before to ship a frame for painting.
I packed it myself and hauled it over to the Fedex Office.

It was about $40 with insurance so I though the price was pretty reasonable.
The Fedex consumer price would have been close to $100 for what I was shipping.
Old 01-15-16, 12:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18596 Post(s)
Liked 16,098 Times in 7,559 Posts
bikeflights.com It's basically a business that sells bike shipping via FedEx at a discount. Check out their web site. If you have box dimensions, total weight (you can estimate to get an idea of the rates) and origin and destination zip codes you can get a rate quote. I have used them twice to ship my large touring bike to MT and SD for tours. Back in June, my 87 linear inch bike case with bike, racks, stove and fuel bottle inside estimated at 60 lbs. cost me $46 from Philly to Rapid City, SD for four-day shipping. I am going back to MT in June and will surely use them again. Unless you are flying Southwest or Frontier, you are likely going to pay through the nose to fly with your bike. I am flying Delta to MT in June. Delta charges $150 for a bike. For not much more than that I can have the bike professionally packed (about $50), shipped (about $75) and reassembled and tuned at my destination (about $40). No fuss, no muss. The bike is waiting for me, ready to ride, when I arrive at my destination, and there is no worries about arranging for ground transportation that can accommodate my bike box.
Old 01-15-16, 02:05 PM
AZSkeptic

Bikes: 2014 Trek 1.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the great suggestions. BikeFlights sounds like a good option--I will look into it.
Old 01-15-16, 02:24 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Bikeflights.com is great. I've used them for all kinds of shipping.

To protect the bike well when it's packed in the box, see if the bike shop can keep some of the foam tubes that pack the bikes from the factory.
If not, pool noodles work well to protect the tubing.
Old 01-15-16, 03:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Living at a place where many people tour the LBS gets bikes shipped in to be held or assembled for the rider

that is using PDX airport then taking the POINT Bus to, the Coast ..

also ship back bikes to the east , to where the riders started from.

other side of the country from AZ? is that North ?
Old 01-15-16, 04:33 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

Honestly, "affordable" isn't a word that comes to mind.
Honestly, he's an attorney.
Old 01-16-16, 05:15 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by AZSkeptic
I'm an attorney who will be starting a two week trial mid-March on the other side of the country. I'd like to continue some training during that period and am contemplating sending my bike and training stand to the hotel where I'll be staying. Has anyone had any experience with this, and if so, any tips on the best and most affordable way to go about doing this?
Does your hotel have a gym ... many do. I think I'd look into that as my first choice.
Old 01-16-16, 05:16 PM
EthanHawley

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fellow attorney here as well. I've considered doing the same but ultimately decided not to. For me at least, it's hard to find time during trial to bike except when it's dark (early morning or late evening) and then you have to figure out where to ride and not get lost. And unless you disassemble and reassemble the bike yourself, you'll probably find yourself spending an inordinate amount of time dealing with your bike. If you really want to bike, consider just renting a bike from an LBS or taking spin classes at a nearby gym (I find they usually have really early classes). Or just exercise at the hotel gym - boring, but fast and easy. Good luck with your trial.
Old 01-16-16, 05:28 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
1) Figure out what you'd spend packing and shipping a bike there and back.
2) That's your budget.
3) Check out Craigslist at your destination.
4) Correspond with the seller of a bike you could stand riding for a couple weeks, make sure they can deal with whatever arrangements you need, like dropping it off at your hotel, a local bikeshop, or make sure it's close enough you can easily pick it up.
5) Ride it for the two weeks.
6) The last few days, advertise it on CL for what you paid. Lower the price each day. If it doesn't sell, leave it unlocked somewhere or donate it to some worthy org.
Old 01-16-16, 05:46 PM
nightvision

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used Ship Bikes. I got a bike box from a friend and packed my bike in it and shipped it from Texas to Florida. I entered the dimensions and weight of the box and printed the label at home and then dropped it off at FedEx. The price was about $46 and it arrived in about 4 days via FedEx Ground. The box arrived in good condition.
Old 01-16-16, 07:24 PM
jhazel

Bikes: Trek Madone4.5, Fuji Newest, DaVinci Joint Venture, Pacific Dually, Kuota K Factor Thruster

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have also used Ship Bikes and they have been great. I use their Air Caddy because I don't have to fully disassemble the bike. I've shipped two round trips and the box is still good for at least one more trip. No damage to the bike yet. They also have discount rates with UPS or FedEx.
Old 01-19-16, 04:30 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Liked 231 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Does your hotel have a gym ... many do. I think I'd look into that as my first choice.
I agree with this. If you're just going to be riding inside anyway, most nicer hotels will have a workout room with some kind of stationary/spin bike. Download a workout or two to your phone from CTS or whatever you prefer and get after it.

I spent a month on a work assignment in West Virginia a couple of years ago and this worked out well.