Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do Speedplay Cleat Buddies work with Keep on Kovers?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-16, 05:53 PM
kkapdolee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use my speedplay light action cleats with Keep on Kovers.
Recently, I had occasions where I had to walk on some dirt and mud in order to go to rest stops during rides. The mud in my cleats caused my cleats to get stuck to the pedals so hard that by the next stop, I couldn't get them unclipped no matter how hard I twisted my ankles. I then started riding one handed and tried getting the cleats out with the other hand to no avail. Then I started looking for some grassy area where I can just crash and take my feet out on the ground. Thankfully, I had tri shoes on with only one velcro on each shoe so I just opened up the velcro mid ride, took my feet out on the ground, got off the bike and then forced shoes out with both my hands.

Anyways, in order not to repeat what happened today, I was thinking of getting these new Speedplay Cleat buddies.

However, I know these were made specifically for Speedplay walkable cleats.

If you look at the pic below, the walkable cleats have little bending inwards around the circle which the Keep on Kovers don't have much of.

Has anyone tried using these cleat buddies with Keep on Kovers or know anyone who tried or know any information of whether this is viable or not?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
59YNOeK.jpg (4.3 KB, 5 views)
FTXqLhy.jpg (6.1 KB, 6 views)
8ZV1blb.jpg (33.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-06-16, 06:16 PM
hokie cycler

Bikes: 2018 Giant Stance 1, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2004 LeMond Nevada City, 1980 Peugeot Course single speed, 1978 Peugeot AO-8

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find the coffee shop covers pretty easy to slip on and they stay on really well. They won't work with the Keep on Kovers but you can use them instead of the KoK.
Old 02-08-16, 01:56 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
or just use your water bottle(s) to clean out the mud before you clip back in.

GH
Old 02-08-16, 03:02 PM
TJClay

Bikes: Domane Project One, 6 series, Ui2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
those wont work with the keep on covers only the walkable cleats which im not too happy with. they don't stay on and ive lost two of them during rides. one I was able to go back and find, one speedplay replaced and the other I gave up on.. going back to the regular cleats and keep on covers
Old 02-08-16, 03:31 PM
kkapdolee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TJClay
those wont work with the keep on covers only the walkable cleats which im not too happy with. they don't stay on and ive lost two of them during rides. one I was able to go back and find, one speedplay replaced and the other I gave up on.. going back to the regular cleats and keep on covers
Thanks. For clarification, did you lose your cleat buddies or your walkable cleat covers?

EDIT: I suppose you lost your cleat covers. Otherwise if you had just lost the cleat buddies, you wouldn't really need to go back to keep on kovers.

Are cleat buddies made with rubber or hard plastic? I'm thinking of buying the cleat buddies and possibly cutting the edges into shape to fit with my keep on kovers. Do you think this could work?

Last edited by kkapdolee; 02-08-16 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-12-16, 05:43 PM
kkapdolee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had to buy these cleat buddies to see for myself whether they work or not. Received them today and am happy to say they seem to work well with Keep on Kovers for anyone else who is interested.

Below is a pic of my cleats. Note the reason my cleat positioning looks weird is because I'm using a midfoot set up.