Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Kryptonite Gravity Line - wheel securing system

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-16, 01:32 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts

Anybody using these? Looks interesting.

My daughter lives car-free in the Minneapolis and has had wheels stolen (sucks). This looks like a clean easy way to secure her wheels.
Old 02-22-16, 02:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
There already was another Skewer that locked until the bike was turned Upside down.

Out of a French company..

Pit Lock works and wont open even if Upside down .. but dont lose the Pit-Key..

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-22-16 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-22-16, 02:41 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,710 Times in 1,954 Posts
Whatever. Everyone I know locks both wheels as a matter of course, so i don't need these products. Further, anyone who rides regularly, particularly in an urban setting, probably has to change a tube now and then, and with this system I would need to carry a pedal wrench.

Also, the system depends completely upon the thief not being able to flip the bike. If the thief can destroy the rear wheel (cut the spokes with the same really big set of cutters he would use to cut the cable on my front wheel) he can flip the bike, remove the rear wheel, and steal the whole bike less the ruined rear wheel.

Or he can cut or break the U-lock and steal the bike and change the skewers at his leisure.

I can see the appeal---carry just a U-lock, and never heed to remove the front wheel, line it up with the back wheel, and lock both to the frame and rack. For people now using that system, great. For people using a separate cable, no need to carry the separate cable. For people who always lock their bikes to a rack where a U-lock is all that is needed, this could be a convenience.

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
My daughter lives car-free in the Minneapolis and has had wheels stolen (sucks). This looks like a clean easy way to secure her wheels.
If I am to understand correctly that Both her wheels were stolen, then she didn't lock her bike properly. If she had used a U-lock through rear wheel and frame, only the front wheel would have been available. if she used a cable to lock the bike to something and didn't run it through the wheels ... Hey, it Always sucks to get robbed. I sympathize.

I have to think that a thief would steal wheels only if that was the easiest thing to steal ... if the bike was locked and the wheels weren't. Maybe this would have helped ... but ...

U-Locks work in a very limited range of locations. cables or chains workl in a lot m,ore situations but are bulky and heavy and except for the biggest/most cumbersome, are still defeatable easily. For serious thieves, Any security system can be beaten, and most pretty quickly.

I don't see this as being a big step forward ... but possibly there are enough people who commute in areas with a high degree of impulse/casual theft like a college campus, where those people also don't want to mess with anything mechanical (like taking of a QR front wheel), who would find this useful.

Very limited application ... but hey, if it sells, it sells.

"Call before midnight tonight .... "
Old 02-22-16, 02:45 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by fietsbob
There already was another Skewer that locked until the bike was turned Upside down.

Out of a French company..

Pit Lock works and wont open even if Upside down .. but dont lose the Pit-Key..
I've seen skewer style, the solid axle got my attention, the kid's bike don't have QR wheels.
Old 02-22-16, 02:56 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Whatever. Everyone I know locks both wheels as a matter of course, so i don't need these products. Further, anyone who rides regularly, particularly in an urban setting, probably has to change a tube now and then, and with this system I would need to carry a pedal wrench.

Also, the system depends completely upon the thief not being able to flip the bike. If the thief can destroy the rear wheel (cut the spokes with the same really big set of cutters he would use to cut the cable on my front wheel) he can flip the bike, remove the rear wheel, and steal the whole bike less the ruined rear wheel.

Or he can cut or break the U-lock and steal the bike and change the skewers at his leisure.

I can see the appeal---carry just a U-lock, and never heed to remove the front wheel, line it up with the back wheel, and lock both to the frame and rack. For people now using that system, great. For people using a separate cable, no need to carry the separate cable. For people who always lock their bikes to a rack where a U-lock is all that is needed, this could be a convenience.

If I am to understand correctly that Both her wheels were stolen, then she didn't lock her bike properly. If she had used a U-lock through rear wheel and frame, only the front wheel would have been available. if she used a cable to lock the bike to something and didn't run it through the wheels ... Hey, it Always sucks to get robbed. I sympathize.

I have to think that a thief would steal wheels only if that was the easiest thing to steal ... if the bike was locked and the wheels weren't. Maybe this would have helped ... but ...

U-Locks work in a very limited range of locations. cables or chains workl in a lot m,ore situations but are bulky and heavy and except for the biggest/most cumbersome, are still defeatable easily. For serious thieves, Any security system can be beaten, and most pretty quickly.

I don't see this as being a big step forward ... but possibly there are enough people who commute in areas with a high degree of impulse/casual theft like a college campus, where those people also don't want to mess with anything mechanical (like taking of a QR front wheel), who would find this useful.

Very limited application ... but hey, if it sells, it sells.

"Call before midnight tonight .... "
Only one wheel was stolen at one time, she typically has the U-lock through the frame and front wheel. A-hole took the rear wheel.

Any security system can be beaten, I have no illusion. However, for a low price ($35 - $50 I think) and little effort, it should make it harder to steal a wheel from a locked bike and makes it so she can use a compact U-lock, easier to carry and harder to defeat.

This is a very simple bike - SS Schwinn Traveler. It's a city bike that she can easily lock up at work, the bar, the store, etc. Having spent years removing my front wheel to lock it with the frame and rear wheel (and taking the saddle with me), I can't blame anybody for looking for an easier, yet safe, way to lock up.

Talking with the LBS when getting a new wheel for her, the mechanic said somebody was in the week prior with a stolen stem.... WTF!?! Thieves are D-bags and they will steal anything, sometimes just to eff with a person.
Old 02-22-16, 03:18 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
This is a very simple bike - SS Schwinn Traveler. It's a city bike that she can easily lock up at work, the bar, the store, etc. Having spent years removing my front wheel to lock it with the frame and rear wheel (and taking the saddle with me), I can't blame anybody for looking for an easier, yet safe, way to lock up.
She sounds like the target customer.
Old 02-22-16, 03:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Pit Lock has axle Nuts too
Old 02-22-16, 03:55 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Maelochs
She sounds like the target customer.
She has my 1980 Schwinn :

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 02-23-16 at 07:02 AM. Reason: removed my dumb comments, but left the pic.
Old 02-22-16, 03:57 PM
J.C. Koto
apocryphal sobriquet

Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker "The Truckerino"

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting idea but I'd probably have a nagging worry that the locking pin would somehow get stuck in the locked position due to dirt/grit, ice, or what-have-you and I wouldn't be able to remove my own wheel.
Old 02-22-16, 04:11 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J.C. Koto
Interesting idea but I'd probably have a nagging worry that the locking pin would somehow get stuck in the locked position due to dirt/grit, ice, or what-have-you and I wouldn't be able to remove my own wheel.
I wonder how big the pin is. I doubt it'd be very hard to break it with an 18 inch breaker bar. (For solid axle bikes.)
Old 02-22-16, 05:04 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by corrado33
I wonder how big the pin is. I doubt it'd be very hard to break it with an 18 inch breaker bar. (For solid axle bikes.)
yeah, this is an anti-casual theft deal. A serious thief wouldn't mess with the wheels and would just grind through the U-lock and ride off, or throw in his van with the other stolen bikes.