Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bibs suitable for long distance?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-16, 11:33 PM
Mayberry32

Bikes: Focus Izalco Pro road bike, Jamis Dragon 29er Hardtail Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Converted from mountain biking and bought a road bike last summer. I've been averaging 100 miles/ week , woth 53 miles being my longest ride to date. I'm training for a double century in May, about 10 weeks away: 220 miles in 2 days. Will a better bib help on those longer rides? Even at 50 miles, I find my rear is sore the following day. Can someone recommend a few good bibs with ample padding? If it helps, I'm 6'1", about 200 lbs and average build. I tend to wear XL in the bibs I've tried. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 02-22-16, 11:38 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3378 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 254 Posts
I think any will do for 220 miles. This may be a seat issue. The trend lately has been bigger pads.
My opinion is go smaller pad, better seat, better seat fit. If it is broken in - can't beat a Brooks.
Big pads are like diapers.
Old 02-22-16, 11:45 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
When you say "sore" what do you mean by "sore" and please don't get too graphic. The usual suspects are that you need a more suitable saddle, or better bibs, or maybe you just need to use chamois butter to help with uh, moisture management. I would say you need to acclimate to riding but it sounds like you've been doing plenty.

My favorite distance bibs are Assos. Second favorite are Castelli with their progetto x2 air chamois or whatever they call it. Some folks will tell you Performance Ultra bibs are good but mine fit a little funky. I think I should have gone one size up.

Whatever you do, do NOT use something new the day of your long ride - you want to debug it before you go on a long ride. Good luck!
Old 02-22-16, 11:55 PM
Mayberry32

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
When you say "sore" what do you mean by "sore" and please don't get too graphic. The usual suspects are that you need a more suitable saddle, or better bibs, or maybe you just need to use chamois butter to help with uh, moisture management. I would say you need to acclimate to riding but it sounds like you've been doing plenty.

My favorite distance bibs are Assos. Second favorite are Castelli with their progetto x2 air chamois or whatever they call it. Some folks will tell you Performance Ultra bibs are good but mine fit a little funky. I think I should have gone one size up.

Whatever you do, do NOT use something new the day of your long ride - you want to debug it before you go on a long ride. Good luck!
Not overly sore....just sore points on my sit bones. They normally feel better next day after 5 miles are so, but nothing like starting off a ride with an already sore ass. I already use chammois butter and it works to prevent chafing and raw spots. I tried numerous saddles and was fit shortly after I got the bike. I ended up with a Specialized Power. It has a large cutout and a shortened nose. It was the best for me to prevent numbness down under.
Old 02-23-16, 12:02 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Well, you might just need to do more, longer rides. Your butt is likely to get sore after a long day in the saddle, you are not a 140 waif like the pro tour guys you know! Make sure you stand up and pedal out of the saddle every now and then to get the blood flowing all through your posterior.
Old 02-23-16, 12:07 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Have you tried using chamois cream on either the insert or better yet on you? I put a little on the areas that take some chaffing and no problems.
Old 02-23-16, 01:27 AM
Blue Church2

Bikes: 2015 Trek Madone 62cm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'3" and around 217-220 pounds. I have a performance bike kit, a Zoca kit, and World Jerseys kit and have done 70 mile rides in them without being sore.

You might need a new saddle, and maybe sit bones checked to make sure that what you use will match your bone structure to have the best combo possible. Having a bike fit will also help so you aren't putting pressure where you don't need to.
Old 02-23-16, 05:23 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7736 Post(s)
Liked 3,674 Times in 1,940 Posts
Yeah, that's a seat issue, not a shorts issue. There is no way to put enough padding into a bib to compensate for having too much pressure on the pelvic loops we sit on, on a bike.

Possibly if you got fit shortly after buying ther bike, you have changed your riding position as you got more fit ... it is hard to get a good fit on a brand new bike in a bike shop, before you know exactly how you will ride it.

I am fat and soft and weak and I can do 50 miles with zero butt soreness. Of course, I carry about 20 lbs of internal seat cushion. But I also have a saddle which really fits me.
Old 02-23-16, 06:28 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4822 Post(s)
Liked 1,557 Times in 1,021 Posts
Whatever you end up doing, I'd suggest getting 2 bibs.. ie. a clean one for the 2nd day, unless you have a way of doing laundry the night after the first day.
Old 02-23-16, 06:41 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3816 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 2,952 Posts
I think the sitbone pressure soreness will go away with more miles. Try riding 2 days in a row. Sometimes there is an initial tenderness that will subside after a few minutes in the saddle. The worst problem caused by shorts is chafing, which you seem to have under control. FWIW, what you are planning is back to back centuries. A double century is 200 miles in one day.
Old 02-23-16, 06:44 AM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 162 Posts
While not at that mileage, I like my Castellis over my Pearl Izumi and Performance bibs as they have a better pad. That said, I agree with others that have suggested it may be a saddle issue.
Old 02-23-16, 06:46 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I think any will do for 220 miles. This may be a seat issue. The trend lately has been bigger pads.
My opinion is go smaller pad, better seat, better seat fit. If it is broken in - can't beat a Brooks.
Big pads are like diapers.
That is correct. Padded bibs cannot make up for the wrong saddle. Better to have the right saddle and minimal padding in the shorts. And by the way OP, 220 miles in 2 days is a formidiable ride, but it is not a double century. A double century is 200 miles in one day.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 02-23-16, 06:48 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

And please tell us whether you mean chafed and raw or just muscle sore. Or even sore where a bone supports your weight.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-23-16, 08:00 AM
Mayberry32

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll take the bike in and have a fit done, now that I have been riding a while. I corrected many of the issues I had by minor adjustments in the beginning. But, I don't want to get into the 2nd day of this ride and have to bail because of pain, soreness, etc. the saddle ,overall, feels good. But, that could be it. Thank you for all the replies. I think I'll also check out some Assos and Castelli bibs. I only have 2 pairs and probably need a few more, as I ride more and more.
Old 02-23-16, 08:04 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I agree with those who say ride more. Muscles get stronger, skin gets tougher and the area in general gets used to long days in the saddle.
Old 02-23-16, 08:35 AM
lupy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it might be the saddle. I thought I was comfortable on a specialized romin, but I chafed like crazy! I spent $200+ on bibs and it didn't help. I was going through cream/glide like crazy. I finally switched saddles (a few times), and I don't have those issues anymore. Its annoying as all get out trying to get a new saddle, but assuming you have a good trial program its cheaper than buying bibs all the time. That being said, if performance ultra's fit you properly they are awesome for the money! I'm not a huge fan of the way the fold over the top (a little stiff), but I still like them. The LG's I have are super soft and not as fluffy. I like them most for shorter rides. My favorite that I own is sugoi. I haven't tried all the brands, but thats my take. GL!
Old 02-23-16, 09:16 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Bibs shouldn't make a bit of different with regard to saddle discomfort. They are preferred by many because they don't bunch up at the waist or slide down. Saddle comfort is more related to quality and thickness of the pad, as well as chamois cream. Also, just conditioning your butt to riding more miles if you are ramping up.
Old 02-23-16, 09:39 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by tarwheel
Bibs shouldn't make a bit of different with regard to saddle discomfort. They are preferred by many because they don't bunch up at the waist or slide down. Saddle comfort is more related to quality and thickness of the pad, as well as chamois cream. Also, just conditioning your butt to riding more miles if you are ramping up.
OP is not comparing bibs to standard shorts. He is talking about the shorts area of the bibs. It wouldn't matter which type he wore.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-23-16, 09:55 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Mayberry32
Converted from mountain biking and bought a road bike last summer. I've been averaging 100 miles/ week , woth 53 miles being my longest ride to date. I'm training for a double century in May, about 10 weeks away: 220 miles in 2 days. Will a better bib help on those longer rides?
Perhaps, although you might have saddle shape issues and your butt probably has yet to toughen up.

Even at 50 miles, I find my rear is sore the following day. Can someone recommend a few good bibs with ample padding?
You do not want ample padding.

Cycling your weight is supported by your ischial tuberoisities

With nothing else in your anatomy solid in the area, you will sink into any short/saddle padding until your sit bones come to rest on something firm. With ample padding in short or saddle that will compress soft tissues in the area including important things like your pudendal nerve. The compression is worse when you have extra fat with more weight pushing down and additional built-in padding (I've ridden with 70+ pounds of middle-age spread).

I like my Boure PRO shorts for rides out to 9-12 hours but expect they'll work for longer - my patience for riding didn't outlast daylight until middle age, and I didn't notice until this year. They use a flat synthetic leather chamois without appreciable padding so there's nothing to sink into. Shorts in the 1990s were made the same way and worked as well.

My Voler Black Label shorts have an Elastic Interace Technology (they also make pads for Rapha and Assos) pad with 120kg/m^3 foam in the sit bone area so I (at a 135-137 pound riding weight) can't sink far enough to cause problems, although I still prefer the Boures for long rides.

(Both come in short and bib form, have return guarantees, and are made in America with direct sales only. Boure does custom for 20% more if your shape differs from average).

Otherwise I wouldn't try to ride any significant distance in modern diaper shorts - contemporary Pearl Izumi/Louis Garneau/Performance shorts have all been less comfortable after 2-3 hours than more traditional shorts are riding sunrise to sunset.
Attached Images
File Type: png
ischial.png (37.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg
menschms2.JPG (68.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg
comp_hp-small.jpg (45.6 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 02-23-16 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-23-16, 10:15 AM
eric1971

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
If you are going to check out Assos, be sure to purchase from the factory outlet. Don't pay full retail price.

https://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/

I've been very happy with my Assos bibs on long (up to 100 mile) rides.
Old 02-23-16, 10:24 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Mayberry32
Not overly sore....just sore points on my sit bones. They normally feel better next day after 5 miles are so, but nothing like starting off a ride with an already sore ass. I already use chammois butter and it works to prevent chafing and raw spots. I tried numerous saddles and was fit shortly after I got the bike. I ended up with a Specialized Power. It has a large cutout and a shortened nose. It was the best for me to prevent numbness down under.
I don't know how your positioning is on the bike, but the Power saddle in particular is designed for riders who are using an aggressive hip angle. Think someone riding almost in a time-trial position on a road bike- flat back, hips rotated forward, ect.

If you're relatively new to road biking, chances are your saddle to bar drop isn't deep enough to really allow you to ride that saddle the way it's intended to be ridden. In that case, you may well be better off with a different saddle like maybe a Romin or a Toupe.

I love specialized saddles and I'm on a Toupe 143mm saddle now, the Romin is a little less flat from front to back. Having a longer saddle lets you slide around more and change the pressure points, which in my experience leads to a reduction in numbness.

Maybe go back to that shop and see if they'll let you swap it for a few different models to find out whether any of them work better.

Ultimately, we all eventually realize your butt is just going to hurt at a certain point, there's no miracle other than a recumbent.
Old 02-23-16, 10:04 PM
Mayberry32

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One more question, and I'll leave you all alone. Where do kost order their bibs online? I've bought from Nashbar before and had good experience. Anywhere else? Another bike related site, amazon?
Old 02-23-16, 10:05 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Assos > all else
Old 02-23-16, 10:14 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Quoted: 11498 Post(s)
Liked 4,909 Times in 2,837 Posts
Home Page - Bouré Bicycle Clothing
Old 02-23-16, 10:26 PM
bored117 

Bikes: Lynskey R230 DA DI2 ENVE 3.4 SES, 6KU Fixie, Cheap Aluminum Slapstick Trainer only bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I find Sugoi Formula FX(E) works wonderfully for me when I can't constantly put too much power... (longer rides). They feel thicker than some but that goes away after some ride and never had chafing or major discomfort on any of my ride with them... I have 2 well used ones and 2 brand new I am keeping in back stock once one of them wear bit more

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.