Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hernia surgery?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hernia surgery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-16, 03:06 PM
noodle soup

Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Hernia surgery?

I did a search, and this thread came up.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...ve-hernia.html

Instead of resurrecting a zombie thread, I chose to start a new one.

Has anyone here had hernia surgery, and how long did it take for your recovery?

I was hit by a truck 25 months ago, and had three surgeries to repair the intestinal damage. When I was about to get out of the hospital, my doctor told me to expect to have hernia issues in 6-12 months. For the past year I've been getting some random abdominal pains that feel like a muscle cramp/spasm. The pain isn't crippling, but it's become more frequent.

I plan on getting it looked at soon, but I'd like to hear from some of you about the recovery time.
Old 04-03-16, 03:41 PM
ckindt

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
I had a hernia op about 14 years ago. seems I tore a bit of the abdomen wall in the lower right groin area from weight training. I could feel my intestine poking out and could push it back in with my finger. It felt weird, but didn't hurt.
The docs cut me open and put a screen in and stitched me back up. After the pain meds wore off i was in terrible pain during the smallest move. This pain only lasted 2 days. On the 3rd day I was back in the gym.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hopefully you get it all sorted out soon!

Good luck.
Old 04-03-16, 03:50 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,962 Times in 1,642 Posts
The recovery time varies tremendously based on the extent of the repair done, and you own body's healing rate. This is simply something you have to take up with whoever is treating you.

BTW - there's always the chance you can dodge the bullet, at least for a while, with external support, so your question may be premature.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-03-16, 03:51 PM
Shimagnolo

Liked 5,651 Times in 2,932 Posts
When I was 19yo: Open surgery. It took took 2 weeks before I could laugh/cough/sneeze w/o it feeling like someone was shoving a hunting knife into my crotch. Probably 3 weeks before I could walk normally, instead of shuffling along keeping one leg forward.

A couple years ago: Laparoscopic surgery. I felt like I could have hopped back on the bike the next day, but the surgeon warned me not to try it for 10 days.
Old 04-03-16, 04:55 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I had open surgery last September. Surgeon said six weeks off the bike. Took it slowly after that and then the holidays came so it took a while to get back to whatever form I had. I probably waited to long to get mine repaired. They dont fix themselves and can only get worse. Good luck.
Old 04-03-16, 04:58 PM
noodle soup

I guess "it depends" is the real answer.

I've been waiting 2 years for this issue to occur, so I'm not freaking out. When they went in originally, they gutted me like a fish.

Don't look if you are easily upset.

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...A79494F685.jpg
Old 04-03-16, 05:02 PM
Shimagnolo

Liked 5,651 Times in 2,932 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Don't look if you are easily upset.

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...A79494F685.jpg
Across the bottom of page: "Calendars", "Canvas Wraps", "Holiday Photo Cards".
Old 04-03-16, 05:05 PM
Mike F

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Anything should be a "walk in the park" after that.
Old 04-03-16, 05:42 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Across the bottom of page: "Calendars", "Canvas Wraps", "Holiday Photo Cards".
Yeah. That is funny ****.
Old 04-03-16, 05:47 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Mike F
Anything should be a "walk in the park" after that.
yeah, I'm not worried about the recovery, more curious about how long it could be.

The he pain is no problem now, but it's all over my abs(depending on the moment). It's getting bad enough that I don't want to ride, and only stupid cold weather ever does that.
Old 04-03-16, 06:20 PM
Mike F

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
yeah, I'm not worried about the recovery, more curious about how long it could be.

The he pain is no problem now, but it's all over my abs(depending on the moment). It's getting bad enough that I don't want to ride, and only stupid cold weather ever does that.
That's when I decided to get mine done is when I could feel discomfort on the bike. The freaky part was even after 6 weeks, I could occasionally feel the mesh grating against the muscles/innards or what ever. Like somebody rubbing 40 grit against the abdominal wall from the inside. Cant feel that now
Old 04-03-16, 06:27 PM
ltxi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Three weeks. First time I went back to work at just under two weeks. Painful and full recovery took almost a month and a half. Second time I listened/paid attention to the doctor. But that was late 80's.
Old 04-04-16, 05:44 AM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Liked 204 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike F
That's when I decided to get mine done is when I could feel discomfort on the bike. The freaky part was even after 6 weeks, I could occasionally feel the mesh grating against the muscles/innards or what ever. Like somebody rubbing 40 grit against the abdominal wall from the inside. Cant feel that now
Hey, don't sweat that, I could still feel things from that operation for 5 years. It will always be with you although these days (12 years) I only hear from it I lift too much or at the wrong angle.
Old 04-04-16, 06:25 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Liked 123 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by ckindt
I had a hernia op about 14 years ago. seems I tore a bit of the abdomen wall in the lower right groin area from weight training. I could feel my intestine poking out and could push it back in with my finger. It felt weird, but didn't hurt.
The docs cut me open and put a screen in and stitched me back up. After the pain meds wore off i was in terrible pain during the smallest move. This pain only lasted 2 days. On the 3rd day I was back in the gym.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hopefully you get it all sorted out soon!

Good luck.
Similar experience here. I developed a inguinalhernia several years ago. Had the operation to fix it with the mesh. The first day after surgery was the hardest. I never used the prescribed pain meds, just small amounts of Advil, but by the third day, not much pain left and I was up and around doing things. Back to normal after a week. Could feel the mesh pulling around occasionally for a few months, but it never bothered me on the bike.
Old 04-04-16, 06:46 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Liked 356 Times in 194 Posts
I had double inguinal hernia surgery a few years ago. They did it laproscopically so all I have is a tiny scar in my belly button. They put the mesh in.

I had some pain from the big tacks they use to attach it to your muscles but they dissolve eventually - about two weeks. The worst was laughing, coughing, and God help you - sneezing. I was back to work after 5 days. You'll be sore mostly in your abdominal area for a few weeks when you exert those muscles. You have to be careful in the first week or so to not exert those muscles because you risk tearing the fix.

Bottom line - there's no such thing as minor surgery. Your body is being repaired. Don't risk further or repeated injury just because you don't want to miss Wednesdays group ride. You're not going to the Tour de France. Be smart. If you ride hard, then don't ride. I'd stay of the bike for about 2 weeks minimum regardless. Better safe than surgery.
Old 04-04-16, 06:59 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
I had double inguinal hernia surgery a few years ago. They did it laproscopically so all I have is a tiny scar in my belly button. They put the mesh in.

I had some pain from the big tacks they use to attach it to your muscles but they dissolve eventually - about two weeks. The worst was laughing, coughing, and God help you - sneezing. I was back to work after 5 days. You'll be sore mostly in your abdominal area for a few weeks when you exert those muscles. You have to be careful in the first week or so to not exert those muscles because you risk tearing the fix.

Bottom line - there's no such thing as minor surgery. Your body is being repaired. Don't risk further or repeated injury just because you don't want to miss Wednesdays group ride. You're not going to the Tour de France. Be smart. If you ride hard, then don't ride. I'd stay of the bike for about 2 weeks minimum regardless. Better safe than surgery.
Had the same procedure and the same experience. I might add, getting up out of bed in the morning the first two days was a b!tch! Don't bother trying to find a painless way to do it, there is none. After that it gets better quickly. I walked around the block, albeit slowly, three times each day and was back to work in a week as well.
Old 04-04-16, 08:47 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I had umbilical hernia surgery years ago, it was like 2wks until I could stand up straight and about 3wks before I could ride.

It actually retore a couple of years ago when I had some crazy coughing sickness but it's so tiny and my deductible is so high that I haven't bothered getting it fixed again. The more I ride the less I notice it, presumably because my core is stronger.
Old 04-04-16, 08:52 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 weeks for my inguinal. First week I was mostly in bed and or at my computer. Walking, laughing, sneezing, coughing, (pooping) all hurt. 2nd week I drove to work, 3 week I biked to work. A couple of more weeks before I started running again.

But then again I was 27 at the time. YRRM
Old 04-04-16, 11:26 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Liked 356 Times in 194 Posts
Yeah I was 31 when I had my surgery. Older bodies take longer to heal.
Old 04-04-16, 11:41 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,087 Times in 2,643 Posts
Times vary a lot. Until the surgeon has gotten into you and sees how much he has to cut to sort things out, the answer you are asking for isn;t known. It also depends a lot on how the surgeon puts you back together. The old way with stitches is a slow heal. I had a mesh put in and was on the trainer in 10 days and back on the road not long after. But I rode gingerly for quite a while.

Edit: Oh, I was 47.

Ben
Old 04-04-16, 05:24 PM
Mike F

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bykemike
Hey, don't sweat that, I could still feel things from that operation for 5 years. It will always be with you although these days (12 years) I only hear from it I lift too much or at the wrong angle.
Thats a good sign something is too heavy then
Old 04-04-16, 05:43 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Times vary a lot. Until the surgeon has gotten into you and sees how much he has to cut to sort things out, the answer you are asking for isn;t known. It also depends a lot on how the surgeon puts you back together. The old way with stitches is a slow heal. I had a mesh put in and was on the trainer in 10 days and back on the road not long after. But I rode gingerly for quite a while.

Edit: Oh, I was 47.

Ben
When I had that massive wreck I was 46, and in the best shape of my life. The trauma surgeon told me several times that I was very lucky to be fit enough to survive the wreck(and have a full recovery). Told me that in 6-12 months he'd see me again to repair some hernia problems. At about 1 year, I started to notice a few little random pains in my abdomen. Now those pains are becoming more frequent, and there are 4 spots between my belt line and ribcage that usually get a little uncomfortable when I stress that area.

My surgeon told me to expect it, and that the recovery would be nothing in comparison, but never talked about a recovery timetable for obvious reasons.
Old 04-04-16, 05:55 PM
noodle soup

My recovery from that wreck was brutal. I was on a PICC line for almost 3 weeks, and lost 35 lbs of muscle. I was a very lean 6'2" 175lbs before, and 140lbs when I got home.

I went from farting out 5:10 solo century rides, to struggling to ride 10 miles at a 13mph pace.