Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Strength vs Cardio...my experience so far

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-16, 03:46 PM
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have done the yo-yo weight thing as well as seen my cardio go way up in capacity and go way down over the last 10 years. Even though I got as far as running a half marathon, and riding centuries, I was always exhausted at the end of either.

The one thing I noticed (as I keep records of all my workouts and lay that over a weight graph) was that each time I leaned down I had a higher fat percentage than last time, and especially when I gained again, I was always fatter (by percentage).

I also began to notice mobility issues when doing yard work etc.

My wife decided we were going to thru hike the Tahoe rim trail this september and knowing I was in TERRIBLE shape again, I decided I had to get back on the wagon. THis time rather than just getting on the bike, I really wanted to build muscle and see that fat percentage go back into the healthy range. In addition when I lost all the weight, my arms looked like sticks and my back always hurt a great deal at the end of long rides.

I wanted to get my core built up, and do upper body work in addition to cardio.

I researched several different kinds of gyms and finally landed on a cross fit for fat people gym (this is not what they call it, but after being there 6 weeks, thats absolutely what it is. The program they offer puts you on a very low fat, very low carb diet and forces you to work out 5 days a week minimum.

I went at it with every thing I had. I stopped drinking even (and for the few of you who actually know me, thats saying something). I have now lived off chicken breast, rice, brocolli, and egg whites for 6 weeks.

I have to be honest the first three weeks were so bad I almost quit 30 times....the 4th week I actually missed a thursday workout, because I felt SO BAD, but went and made it up on saturday. Oddly enough on the 5th week I was feeling better and not coming home and wanting to die. At one point I was easily sleeping 10 hours a night just to try and drag my but out of bed the next morning. I do admit on that 5th week I added in more rice and slacked off the protein just a bit, so I am not sure if it (me feeling better) was going to happen anyway or happened because of my small diet change. I entered my diet into my fitness pal several times and i was eating somewhere around 1500 calories per day.

Now in my 6th week, I can get through the classes and walk out with a spring in my step actually. I am actually looking forward to going each day.

I know a couple of things. I lost inches off my waist beyond a shadow of a doubt. My 42 jeans were hurting me to the point I would unbutton them at my desk as I would get headaches. They are loose now and I am just waiting to buy new jeans.

I am MUCH stronger than i was. The first week I could not do the reps, nor use any weight. Now on almost all exercises I complete all my reps and use heavier and heavier weights each week. I actually went out and ran a mile after a workout (monday) just to see if I could do it non stop. I have to admit I was really winded but had enough stamina to go on, and did a better than average time for that mile than I was doing when training for the half marathon.

At the end of this week I am transferring to a real crossfit gym, as the one I am currently at cycles back to the start every 6 weeks. I want to go somewhere I can push forward each week and keep making gains.

All this is anecdotal, but I thought it may resonate with some. I am going to drop back to 3 days a week on crossfit and add in 3 days of either hiking or biking. I am just 7 lbs away from the max weight limit on my rims, so after i get below that, i am going to get back on the bike. I have no idea how the strength will translate to the bike, but I know my core is going to thank me and my legs are MUCH stronger than when I started. I actually have muscles in my shoulders now, vs the mushy lumps I use to have. Even when I was biking a lot, i had mushy shoulders.

Anyway, its been fun and tiring, and sore, but worth it all. I figured there was no way I was ever going to be anything competitive in the riding arena, so having strength and cardio was the answer for me.

I am sure when I hit the big boy crossfit gym I will want to quit again 30 different times, but hopefully I don't.
Old 04-06-16, 05:25 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good for you!
I lift weights in addition to bike riding. Can't say either one has made me skinny (I'm back around 240, from a high of 330 and a low of 210 last year) but my goal has never been to be thin. I'm 50 years old now and healthier than when I was in my 20s and 30s.
Old 04-07-16, 10:33 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Liked 930 Times in 281 Posts
Killer job getting through the first 3weeks than completing the program. You'll be back on the bike in no time
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 04-07-16, 10:45 AM
asindc

Bikes: 1993 Trek Antelope 850 mountain bike; 2002 LeMond Alpe d'Huez; 2005 Orbea Onix TDF; 2015 Bianchi Infinito.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Stay the course, vesteroid. You will be glad you did.
Old 04-07-16, 09:54 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Welcome back skinny.

I tried regular cross fit the other month and it about killed me. They warmed up doing jumping jacks to AC/DC's "Thunder" and ever time you heard the word thunder it was burpee time. I now twitch whenever I hear that song on the radio and I fear it will never go away. Anyway, my knee can't take that kind of abuse anymore so it's back to boring ol' riding for me.
Old 04-07-16, 11:46 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Liked 1,125 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Welcome back skinny.

I tried regular cross fit the other month and it about killed me. They warmed up doing jumping jacks to AC/DC's "Thunder" and ever time you heard the word thunder it was burpee time. I now twitch whenever I hear that song on the radio and I fear it will never go away. Anyway, my knee can't take that kind of abuse anymore so it's back to boring ol' riding for me.

Vinyasa style yoga has been a game changer for me -- i love it ( Vinyasa is a style that is vigorous but not "hard" -- plus the classes are always pre-faced by the instructor letting you know to just lay-up if you can't do something
Old 04-08-16, 12:49 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Vinyasa style yoga has been a game changer for me -- i love it ( Vinyasa is a style that is vigorous but not "hard" -- plus the classes are always pre-faced by the instructor letting you know to just lay-up if you can't do something
I'm not sure I want to sign up for something where I'll be the dude in the room wheezing that I can't do it while all the soccer moms in their size 2 lululemons crack up.
Old 04-08-16, 06:43 AM
NYSteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased DDP Yoga.. I wanted to try it in the winter, but the winter really got away from me. I was so busy, sitting on the couch, watching tv and eating.

I lost weight and kept blood sugar control, but I lost any and all benefits I gained last year.
Old 04-08-16, 09:15 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Liked 1,125 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I'm not sure I want to sign up for something where I'll be the dude in the room wheezing that I can't do it while all the soccer moms in their size 2 lululemons crack up.
In my experience, the gals are pretty good at keeping it to themselves --- as a cycling enthusiast who wears lycra, i've had to suck up a lot of humble pie just to hit the trails doing that too
But i understand the trepidation on the group settings

Originally Posted by NYSteve
I purchased DDP Yoga.. I wanted to try it in the winter, but the winter really got away from me. I was so busy, sitting on the couch, watching tv and eating.
LOL -- funniest thing i have read all day ! i know the feeling at times too