Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Dual sports bike: Trek Neko SL vs Specialized Ariel Sports Disc vs Giant/Liv Rove II

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Dual sports bike: Trek Neko SL vs Specialized Ariel Sports Disc vs Giant/Liv Rove II

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-16, 02:23 AM
mishyq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I am a complete noob in bicycles. Dont understand which component is better than the other, what geometry is good etc.

The only two things i know is that 1) I want a dual-sports bicycle to do both flat surface biking and occasional gravel/recreational mountain biking, and 2) I want a bike with hydraulic brakes.

So far, I have test-ridden the Trek Neko SL and really like it a lot, but it is also the most expensive one. I have also rode the Specialized Ariel Sports Disc briefly (just inside the shop), and it seem quite smooth too, though i think the handle bars are less comfortable (?) compared to Trek's. I have not ride the Giant/Liv Rove II yet and not sure if I will have a chance to.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on the specs / components below, can someone enlighten me on which will provide me the best bang for the buck?
Basically, is Trek worth paying more for?
Is it because the components in Trek is slightly better or higher grade than those in Specialized's and Giant / Liv's?

* Trek Neko SL Neko SL Women's | Neko Women's | Dual sport bikes | City bikes | Bikes | Trek Bikes
Normal retail $799
Currently discounted to $749 at LBS (but the sale ends on Monday, April 11, so I need to make up my mind fast!)

* Specialized Ariel Sports Disc https://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bi...rt-disc/106389
Normal retail $770
Currently discounted to $709 at LBS

* Giant / Liv Rove II Rove 2 (2016) | Giant Bicycles | United States
Normal retail $670
Currently discounted to $620 at LBS

I know Trek offers lifetime guarantee on the frame. I presume Specialized or Giant's / Liv's do that as well?

Some background:
I will be using the bike mainly for recreational and exercise. Will not be using it to commute to work or things like that.
Also, I dont plan to change bikes that often, so this is going to be a 'one-time deal' for me so I want to make sure I make the right decision!

Anything else I should be considering (besides price factor and fit)?

Thank you in advance
Old 04-10-16, 04:12 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
No one could really say you made a mistake buying any of those 3 bikes, so I would say you should be guided by which one you like the look of best and feel the best when riding.

Surely the Specialized dealer could have given you a better test ride than just inside the store?

Of the respective component lists on each bike, they overall are pretty close, with each bike taking turns at having a higher or lower specification or having a specification that doesn't easily allow one to make a meaningful comparison.

Even if one bike technically has "better" brakes, or better derailleurs or better gear shifters, that doesn't mean you would necessarily be able to tell the difference or that it would really matter in real life usage as the "lesser" component is still pretty decent.

However, saying that, the Trek does have a higher specification on the gear shifters over the other two and has either a higher front or rear derailleur specification depending on who it is compared against and at worst, has the same front or rear derailleur specification depending on who it is compared against.
Old 04-10-16, 05:50 AM
ColdCase

Bikes: Crosstrail Comp Disc

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those are all good bikes. My wife had the same decision to make last summer and went specialized as the Neko looked and felt heavy to her (she's 5'8" 110). It just took her one ride around the block and it was obvious the her the specialized was more responsive and easier to ride. IMHO, I think it was more about the tires. But she loves the Ariel, finding extra time for riding, it seems to be perfect for her. It may not be right for for you, however. You need an around the parking lot type ride, but if thats not going to happen, go with the one you know you like to ride.

I would highly recommend you consider/try Shimano Brakes over the Tektro. They are much smoother and less hassle, but you may have to spend another $50-$100 for the next bike up the food chain.

I walked into the LBS a year ago thinking a $700 bike was the right bike for me, and after riding a few different combinations and brands, walked out with a $1000 bike. I'm glad I did, but then I'm a technocrat that enjoys well functioning machinery .

Last edited by ColdCase; 04-10-16 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-10-16, 01:35 PM
mishyq

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
No one could really say you made a mistake buying any of those 3 bikes, so I would say you should be guided by which one you like the look of best and feel the best when riding.

Surely the Specialized dealer could have given you a better test ride than just inside the store?

Of the respective component lists on each bike, they overall are pretty close, with each bike taking turns at having a higher or lower specification or having a specification that doesn't easily allow one to make a meaningful comparison.

Even if one bike technically has "better" brakes, or better derailleurs or better gear shifters, that doesn't mean you would necessarily be able to tell the difference or that it would really matter in real life usage as the "lesser" component is still pretty decent.

However, saying that, the Trek does have a higher specification on the gear shifters over the other two and has either a higher front or rear derailleur specification depending on who it is compared against and at worst, has the same front or rear derailleur specification depending on who it is compared against.
thank you so much! this is helpful. yes, i plan to go back to test-ride the Specialized Ariel Sports Disc properly, and i think (hope) that store also has the Giant Rove 2, so that i can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
Old 04-10-16, 01:44 PM
mishyq

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColdCase
Those are all good bikes. My wife had the same decision to make last summer and went specialized as the Neko looked and felt heavy to her (she's 5'8" 110). It just took her one ride around the block and it was obvious the her the specialized was more responsive and easier to ride. IMHO, I think it was more about the tires. But she loves the Ariel, finding extra time for riding, it seems to be perfect for her. It may not be right for for you, however. You need an around the parking lot type ride, but if thats not going to happen, go with the one you know you like to ride.

I would highly recommend you consider/try Shimano Brakes over the Tektro. They are much smoother and less hassle, but you may have to spend another $50-$100 for the next bike up the food chain.

I walked into the LBS a year ago thinking a $700 bike was the right bike for me, and after riding a few different combinations and brands, walked out with a $1000 bike. I'm glad I did, but then I'm a technocrat that enjoys well functioning machinery .
Thank you ColdCase. Yes, this is one thing i forget to check. Is the Specialized Ariel Sports Disc indeed heavier than Trek Neko SL? How much heavier?

Yeah, I have read that Shimano Brake is better than Tektro brand. The only way to get Shimano for Trek Neko is to upgrade it to SLX and it cost an extra $110 like you expected
Neko SLX Women's | Neko Women's | Dual sport bikes | City bikes | Bikes | Trek Bikes and actually cost an extra >$170 for Specialized, to go to the next level called Specialized Ariel Elite Disc https://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bi...te-disc/106444 Maybe this 'Elite' bike has something that SLX doesnt...

Problem for me is that I thought I only budgeted <$500 for a bike, and then I went into the store and realized that bikes at that price range is not really what i want in the long-term. So now all these bikes look expensive to me Another thing, if i am not in a hurry to get a bike, then when do these bikes come on sale again ? I know spring bike sales in the rage now, but if i am willing to wait till fall to get one of these 3 bikes at a cheaper price, then is there usually another sale again in September to clear these stock?

Thanks
Old 04-10-16, 02:29 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Like the Colonel said, go with the one you like the look and feel of better. The quality/performance differences are small. Then, if there is a part/component you do not like, you can replace it (something that is likely to occur no matter which one you choose).
Old 04-10-16, 04:14 PM
ColdCase

Bikes: Crosstrail Comp Disc

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mishyq
Thank you ColdCase. Yes, this is one thing i forget to check. Is the Specialized Ariel Sports Disc indeed heavier than Trek Neko SL? How much heavier?
The Trek Neko felt heavy to her, the Specialized felt lighter and easier to pedal/ride. Dunno how much they actually weigh. But the point is they look so much alike on paper but are so much different to ride, especially for 100 lb women.

Last edited by ColdCase; 04-11-16 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-10-16, 04:45 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
The bikes are almost identical on paper. Go with the one that feels best to you.
Old 04-11-16, 06:58 AM
MRT2

Hi, I am a complete noob in bicycles. Dont understand which component is better than the other, what geometry is good etc.

The only two things i know is that 1) I want a dual-sports bicycle to do both flat surface biking and occasional gravel/recreational mountain biking, and 2) I want a bike with hydraulic brakes.

So far, I have test-ridden the Trek Neko SL and really like it a lot, but it is also the most expensive one. I have also rode the Specialized Ariel Sports Disc briefly (just inside the shop), and it seem quite smooth too, though i think the handle bars are less comfortable (?) compared to Trek's. I have not ride the Giant/Liv Rove II yet and not sure if I will have a chance to.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on the specs / components below, can someone enlighten me on which will provide me the best bang for the buck?
Basically, is Trek worth paying more for?
Is it because the components in Trek is slightly better or higher grade than those in Specialized's and Giant / Liv's?

* Trek Neko SL Neko SL Women's | Neko Women's | Dual sport bikes | City bikes | Bikes | Trek Bikes
Normal retail $799
Currently discounted to $749 at LBS (but the sale ends on Monday, April 11, so I need to make up my mind fast!)

* Specialized Ariel Sports Disc https://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bi...rt-disc/106389
Normal retail $770
Currently discounted to $709 at LBS

* Giant / Liv Rove II Rove 2 (2016) | Giant Bicycles | United States
Normal retail $670
Currently discounted to $620 at LBS

I know Trek offers lifetime guarantee on the frame. I presume Specialized or Giant's / Liv's do that as well?

Some background:
I will be using the bike mainly for recreational and exercise. Will not be using it to commute to work or things like that.
Also, I dont plan to change bikes that often, so this is going to be a 'one-time deal' for me so I want to make sure I make the right decision!

Anything else I should be considering (besides price factor and fit)?

Thank you in advance
For a complete noob, you seem to have a very specific idea of the type of new bike you want. And any of them should be adequate for the occasional ride. But a couple of questions.

You see yourself doing mainly rides on "flat surfaces" with the occasional foray onto gravel or single track. Are there a lot of gravel or dirt trails in your area or is this one of those aspirational things?

Why is hydraulic discs a must have for you? Not saying you are wrong but at the entry level, you pay a price penalty for hydraulic discs and if most of your riding is casual riding on flat surfaces in good weather, it seems more like a luxury than a must have.

Third. Do you picture yourself doing some longer road rides like a century or even a 50 mile ride, either with a club, or as part of an organized ride? Or do you picture yourself riding mostly solo or with family and close friends?
Old 04-11-16, 08:05 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 124 Posts
The Specialized Ariel Sport disc on the website is showing a price of $550 now. The Elite has just been marked down to $595. You have listed on your original posting the price of $770. You may need to show the new price to the LBS to get a better deal.

I know some are saying that the Shimano hydro's are better, won't deny that. But I have the Tektro's on mine and they are not bad. Easy to maintain and do well on the gravel paths I take. They did make some noise for a while but once the pads are worn in they have done well. I am planning on replacing the pads that came with the bike though. Have heard a different set of pads (organic) helps with the braking and making less noises.
Old 04-11-16, 08:42 AM
Calla lily

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I got a 2015 Live Rove II in December. I went with the 2015 for a couple reasons. 1. My lbs had one in my size (XS) in stock and being last years model, they gave me a discount. I got the bike plus tax and bottle cage for under $600. That was about the max I really could spend without upsetting the husband too much. and 2. I wanted the 2015 over the 2016 because I liked the color better.

I can't really comment on the other bikes as I only looked at them online as they were over budget. If they weren't, I would have tried to find them in local shops. The shop I got my bike doesn't sell the others.

I love the versatility of these bikes. I do mostly ride paved trails, but I have the freedom to go just about anywhere I want. Friday I was riding a paved trail with the suspension locked out (as usual on paved trails). There was a lot of rough street crossings and on the way back I opened the suspension and that was a nicer ride. I also saw a momma bear and 2 baby bears napping in a tree. Yesterday, I road along the beach. And tomorrow I might go ride the road/paved trail to a dirt/grass dike trail through a wildlife refuge. I would eventually like to get a road bike, or flat bar road bike, for longer, faster rides but I see my bike as a nice do it all bike for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2016-04-08 15.32.26.jpg (104.0 KB, 124 views)
beache.jpg (80.3 KB, 127 views)
20151213_115958e.jpg (98.0 KB, 125 views)
Old 04-11-16, 11:53 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I would say look at a bike that offers you the option of upgrading to up to 45 c tires if you ever decide you want to go off-road.

The Trek Fx, Fairdale Weekender, BD Omni Strada, etc. give you the possibility to gravel/adventure bike through upgrading tires.

Don't be hung up on women's specific bikes. It more marketing than reality and bikes are unisex and when shopping for a bike, buy one that suits your current and future needs.

That's all there is to it.
Old 04-11-16, 12:46 PM
Calla lily

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NormanF
Don't be hung up on women's specific bikes. It more marketing than reality and bikes are unisex and when shopping for a bike, buy one that suits your current and future needs.

That's all there is to it.
Not really true when you are 5'2" (on a tall day). That crosses a lot of bikes off my list. But I agree with buying the bike that fits current and future needs.
Old 04-11-16, 01:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Pick the bike shop you like first .. If you like a Bike otherwise , but it has Cable disc brakes ..

Ask How Much extra To Upgrade just the brakes , to Hydraulic.

Light weight ? drop the suspension fork spec. the FX line will weigh less because of not having the heavy Fork .

still capable of gravel trail riding..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-11-16 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-11-16, 01:38 PM
MRT2

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Pick the bike shop you like first .. If you like a Bike otherwise , but it has Cable disc brakes ..

Ask How Much extra To Upgrade just the brakes , to Hydraulic.

Light weight ? drop the suspension fork spec. the FX line will weigh less because of not having the heavy Fork .

still capable of gravel trail riding..
This is what I was hinting at. If you think you might want to ride longer or faster (or have to carry it up a flight of stairs), you might grow to hate the suspension fork if you don't actually need it.

Last edited by MRT2; 04-11-16 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-11-16, 03:14 PM
milan4ever

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Hi, I have 2014 Trek Neko SLX and it's an awesome bike. I tried Ariel but did not like it.
Old 04-11-16, 06:07 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
This is what I was hinting at. If you think you might want to ride longer or faster (or have to carry it up a flight of stairs), you might grow to hate the suspension fork if you don't actually need it.
While I like my Crosstrail, what your hinting at is exactly why I've been somewhat shopping around for a gravel bike to potentially replace a suspension bike. Not that it's bad, unlike what some say, it's just heavier and I have been noticing my rides aren't necessarily needing it.
Old 04-14-16, 08:12 PM
mishyq

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a complete noob, you seem to have a very specific idea of the type of new bike you want. And any of them should be adequate for the occasional ride. But a couple of questions.

You see yourself doing mainly rides on "flat surfaces" with the occasional foray onto gravel or single track. Are there a lot of gravel or dirt trails in your area or is this one of those aspirational things?
living in PNW, i think there are a lot of opportunities to do both flat and non-flat surfaces. i dont commute to work, so i am not getting it for some daily function. it's more for recreation/exercise. and as i said, i am not going to be one of those ppl who will keep changing bike (too lazy or just no money) OR buy a second bike, so i would like one that i can foresee myself using for the next X decades without regret (e.g., ahh i should have gotten one that is better on flat or ahh i should have gotten one that can perform better on dirt trail). so based on the little understanding i have about bikes, dual-sports can provide me this flexibility

Why is hydraulic discs a must have for you? Not saying you are wrong but at the entry level, you pay a price penalty for hydraulic discs and if most of your riding is casual riding on flat surfaces in good weather, it seems more like a luxury than a must have.
agree it is a luxury. i like the feel of it (smoothness or lack of resistance) when i press the brake. obviously the bike i owned back in my childhood is not hydraulic disc brake, so when i handle this for the first time, it's like an upgrade for me.

Third. Do you picture yourself doing some longer road rides like a century or even a 50 mile ride, either with a club, or as part of an organized ride? Or do you picture yourself riding mostly solo or with family and close friends?
probably the latter. like i said, i am not trying to be an olympian or something competitive. more recreational. but i have been looking into local clubs to check out their activities recently as well so i m not closing door to that avenue.
Old 04-14-16, 08:12 PM
mishyq

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i am clearly a noob -- for some reason my first two paragraph of responses to MRT2 were embedded within quotes
Old 04-14-16, 08:14 PM
mishyq

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
The Specialized Ariel Sport disc on the website is showing a price of $550 now. The Elite has just been marked down to $595. You have listed on your original posting the price of $770. You may need to show the new price to the LBS to get a better deal.

I know some are saying that the Shimano hydro's are better, won't deny that. But I have the Tektro's on mine and they are not bad. Easy to maintain and do well on the gravel paths I take. They did make some noise for a while but once the pads are worn in they have done well. I am planning on replacing the pads that came with the bike though. Have heard a different set of pads (organic) helps with the braking and making less noises.

i think the 550 and 595 is GBP, not USD
Old 04-14-16, 08:18 PM
mishyq

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my understanding is that the suspension fork is the one that let you ride on non-flat surface (e.g., dirt trail, potholes) right?
the fx doesnt have it so i agree it will therefore be lighter.

i got a garage fortunately, so carrying will be minimal. only time i need to lift it up is probably when i learn how to load onto my bike rack (at the car trunk)
i think all the 3 bikes i mentioned above are around the same weight 29-30 lbs range
Old 04-14-16, 08:26 PM
mishyq

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
finally i have some update.
i went to test ride the remaining 2 bikes (specialized ariel + giant liv rove II)
and then test ride trek neko again

for some reason, the fit seem off for 2 of them

for specialized ariel, i felt the gear change and handle grip not as nice as trek neko. but then again i dont really know how to change gears :X
for giant liv rove II, my shoes keep hitting the front wheel as i pedal - not sure why this happens

so i guess i am a trek gal.
i also happen to like the color of trek neko SL the best (of all 3 bikes) fortunately

i was wrong in saying there is a discount. apparently there is no discount and the price for trek neko SL is $799 + 9.5% WA tax
now either i wait a bit till it come on sale (i was told that this is unlikely bc neko is a popular series) OR take the plunge to make it mine...
Old 04-14-16, 08:28 PM
MRT2

my understanding is that the suspension fork is the one that let you ride on non-flat surface (e.g., dirt trail, potholes) right?
the fx doesnt have it so i agree it will therefore be lighter.

i got a garage fortunately, so carrying will be minimal. only time i need to lift it up is probably when i learn how to load onto my bike rack (at the car trunk)
i think all the 3 bikes i mentioned above are around the same weight 29-30 lbs range
29 or 30 lbs is pretty heavy for 2016. And the suspension fork alone adds 2 lbs.

unless you ride technical single track, you don't need a suspension fork. You can ride on dirt and gravel with a solid fork. And, a cheap suspension fork won't help you with potholes. If you plow through potholes rather than ride around or hop over them, suspension or not, you will hurt yourself and destroy your front wheel.
Old 04-14-16, 08:37 PM
mishyq

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
29 or 30 lbs is pretty heavy for 2016. And the suspension fork alone adds 2 lbs.

unless you ride technical single track, you don't need a suspension fork. You can ride on dirt and gravel with a solid fork. And, a cheap suspension fork won't help you with potholes. If you plow through potholes rather than ride around or hop over them, suspension or not, you will hurt yourself and destroy your front wheel.
i see.
so what's the equivalent counterpart to trek neko SL ---- a trek bike that feels great riding (to me), but without the suspension fork
is it the FX series then?
there are so many FX bikes (7.0 - 7.9)
Fitness bikes | City bikes | Bikes | Trek Bikes
Old 04-15-16, 12:24 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
i see.
so what's the equivalent counterpart to trek neko SL ---- a trek bike that feels great riding (to me), but without the suspension fork
is it the FX series then?
there are so many FX bikes (7.0 - 7.9)
Fitness bikes | City bikes | Bikes | Trek Bikes
The front suspension issue is a vexed one in my view.

Just because the suspension forks on these hybrids aren't up to proper mountain bike standard, doesn't mean they are necessarily a mistake, a lot here depends on your tolerance of bumps that you will encounter.

You have a number of people on these forums who whilst readily acknowledging that these hybrid suspension forks are not high end forks, say nonetheless that they wouldn't be without them, as for them the difference in ride comfort matters a lot.

One issue with getting a rigid fork bike like the FX, is that the FX has a lighter frame with thinner tubing, so it shouldn't be ridden on rough terrain that the Neko or DS 8.x would be okay for.

That is not to say the FX is fragile, just that it doesn't do the rough stuff as well as the Neko or DS 8.x.

Having said that, the Women's 7.4FX weighs 10.86kg/23.89lbs in size 17" and the Neko SL in size 16" weighs 13.1kg/28.82lbs, so you have a 5lb weight difference in favour of the lighter FX.

Of course contributing to the FX's lighter weight is the lack of disc brakes.

So decisions, decisions.

Last edited by ColonelSanders; 04-15-16 at 12:27 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.