Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Let's help Squeezy go on tour!!

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-16, 04:33 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3816 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 2,952 Posts

Here is a nice 5 day supported tour on the Katy Trail, right out Squeezy's front door. https://mostateparks.com/2016KTRide#fees The cost is $375. I will pledge $100, contingent of course on Squeezy actually registering for and participating in the tour. Squeezy seems to have a special friend in mod BillyD, perhaps he could match my contribution and collect the funds. That only leaves $175 for the rest of you to chip in. $10 or $20 should be worth it to get Squeezy some actual cycling experience! This is a legitimate offer, who else is in?

Last edited by shelbyfv; 04-11-16 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-11-16, 05:27 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
That trip fills up in a couple of days cuz only 350 allowed. Entry opened Mar 1.
Old 04-11-16, 05:30 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Registration open according to website.
Old 04-11-16, 06:43 PM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I'll be on that ride for the 6th year in a row.

It usually does fill up faster than this; however, many people like going from Clinton to St. Charles better which is done on odd numbered years. It's somewhat downhill plus usually has tail winds.

Count me in for $10.
Old 04-11-16, 06:44 PM
mantelclock
Senior Moment

Bikes: Velo Orange Campeur, 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Here is a nice 5 day supported tour on the Katy Trail,
A supported tour on the Katy does not test the bike.
Old 04-11-16, 10:43 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My left rotator cuff is about 80% okay. Good enough for a supported Katy. I would gladly accept your offer, particularly since I finally figured out how to post photos.
Would this drop the foolish bickering??
Old 04-11-16, 10:45 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mantelclock
A supported tour on the Katy does not test the bike.
With a bad shoulder it's an okay start.

I'm not ready for a fund me to do the Great Divide trail.

Last edited by Squeezebox; 04-11-16 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-11-16, 10:46 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Man, had I known I'd have gotten sent on a free bike tour, I should have been doubting and arguing all the advice everyone here has given me getting set up for my first tour too...

If anyone here wants to tell me the best way to lace some old wheels, I'll gladly argue your expertise. I wouldn't mind going on the DALMAC in Michigan this year
Old 04-11-16, 10:50 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 855 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
My left rotator cuff is about 80% okay. Good enough for a supported Katy. I would gladly accept your offer, particularly since I finally figured out how to post photos.
Would this drop the foolish bickering??
If your rotator cuff is only 80% OK, I'd do a few tough test rides before accepting the challenge. If your bike fit places quite a bit of weight on the arms, it can cause a lot of discomfort, especially if you just had surgery.

Good Luck.
Old 04-11-16, 10:57 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 855 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Man, had I known I'd have gotten sent on a free bike tour, I should have been doubting and arguing all the advice everyone here has given me getting set up for my first tour too...

If anyone here wants to tell me the best way to lace some old wheels, I'll gladly argue your expertise. I wouldn't mind going on the DALMAC in Michigan this year
A few years ago my wife and I were in Mackinaw City the weekend the ride went over the bridge.

An excerpt from an article I was working on.

What we didn’t realize until the next morning was that we missed a golden opportunity. The bridge ride of the Big Mac Scenic Tour and Ride Across the Mackinac Bridge was taking place this morning. Riding bikes across the Mackinac Bridge is only allowed twice a year, once in the fall and once in the spring. Our first hint was when we were watching the stream of yellow jacketed cyclist disembarking from the ferry that would take us to Mackinac Island. Talking to a group of cyclist, we learned that they had ridden over the bridge earlier that morning. If we’d of known, I’m sure Donna could have talked our way into joining the group.
An opportunity missed

Last edited by Doug64; 04-11-16 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-11-16, 11:04 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Doug64
A few years ago my wife and I were in Mackinaw City the weekend the ride went over the bridge. We would have just joined the riders going over the bridge, but we did not learn about it until Saturday morning when we saw all the riders getting off the ferry on their return trip. I'm sure my wife could have talked our way into the group. An opportunity missed
I've done the bridge walk a few times in my life, but never took the bike across. I'm sure it won't be long before I find myself doing it, especially because I do have every intention of being on that ride (subject to seeing how the first tour goes) this summer!
Old 04-11-16, 11:31 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,315 Times in 707 Posts
Forget it. I have to get off this crazy train.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 04-11-16 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-11-16, 11:32 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
80% recovery in 2 months or so is pretty good. No surgery. Katy supported should be pretty easy.
Old 04-12-16, 12:41 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
80% recovery in 2 months or so is pretty good. No surgery. Katy supported should be pretty easy.
The harsh ride of your aluminium frame might ruin your shoulder permanently.
Old 04-12-16, 03:40 AM
BikeLite

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
The hardest thing about the Katy ride is the heat.
Old 04-12-16, 04:47 AM
mibike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
I've done the bridge walk a few times in my life, but never took the bike across. I'm sure it won't be long before I find myself doing it, especially because I do have every intention of being on that ride (subject to seeing how the first tour goes) this summer!
There is 3 times you can ride the bridge. the Big Mac ride talked about above is a one day ride on Saturday and then cross the bridge Sunday and take the boat back twice a year.

The other time is DALMAC. DALMAC is a 4 or 5 day supported tour starting in Lansing and it crosses the bridge on Sunday morning of Labor day weekend. We have done DALMAC riding across the bridge spent the night and done the Labor day bridge walk on Monday
Old 04-12-16, 05:20 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Golly guys, I'm surprised there's not more interest in this. Squeeze, if you aren't healed up for this one, post when you find another that suits you. I'm in for my part, probably BillyD as well.
Old 04-12-16, 07:17 AM
Craptacular8

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by JerrySTL
I'll be on that ride for the 6th year in a row.

It usually does fill up faster than this; however, many people like going from Clinton to St. Charles better which is done on odd numbered years. It's somewhat downhill plus usually has tail winds.

Count me in for $10.
Isn't there a project to extend the Katy Trail (maybe it is called Rock Bridge Trail for this section) all the way from Clinton to KC? Any idea when that is estimated to be complete?
Old 04-12-16, 07:21 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by mibike
There is 3 times you can ride the bridge. the Big Mac ride talked about above is a one day ride on Saturday and then cross the bridge Sunday and take the boat back twice a year.

The other time is DALMAC. DALMAC is a 4 or 5 day supported tour starting in Lansing and it crosses the bridge on Sunday morning of Labor day weekend. We have done DALMAC riding across the bridge spent the night and done the Labor day bridge walk on Monday
Oops, forgot about the Big Mac ride. Didn't realize they brought you back on the ferries, that is kinda cool!

We're hopefully doing the DALMAC for the first time this year, it has been on my list of things to do for a decade now (and part of the reason I started riding again), I've got a few family members that do it every year. Mostly just waiting to see how our Netherlands trip goes before committing, don't need a second tour booked if I get off the first one and find out I disliked it for whatever reason.

Last edited by jefnvk; 04-12-16 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-12-16, 08:18 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
No harsh ride!! Go ride a 920 and get back to us!!
Old 04-12-16, 08:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18596 Post(s)
Liked 16,096 Times in 7,558 Posts
In less than two years I toured nearly 10,000 miles with heavy loads on an aluminum frame, and that was back in '99 and '00. Not harsh at all.
Old 04-12-16, 08:32 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Craptacular8
Isn't there a project to extend the Katy Trail (maybe it is called Rock Bridge Trail for this section) all the way from Clinton to KC? Any idea when that is estimated to be complete?
Yes you are part right. I think. I think it's planned for KC to St. Louis south of the river. I think it's called the rock island trail. Google it and I will also.
Old 04-12-16, 08:36 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Facts please!! Instead of know nothing assumptions.
Old 04-12-16, 09:09 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 234 Posts
Facts please!! Instead of know nothing assumptions.
Well it is a well know fact that while steel is a stiffer material than aluminum, aluminum easily becomes stiffer and thus harsher in a bike frame due increased tube diameters and wall thicknesses (as stiffness is subject to material thickness and shape).
This is not to say that an aluminum frame cannot be made comfortable. With proper design it can be achieved. But it does lack the vibration dampening steel and carbon fiber do have.

My experience with Trek aluminum was that the frame I did have was surprisingly comfortable, almost suspiciously so, but it was also extremely flexy when loaded and caused the frame to get the death wobbles at any speed above 6mph.

The 920 does take larger tires (which you have for some reason swapped for thinner ones) which in turn increases comfort in a bike even if tire pressures are raised.
And there are of course a lot of other factors such as what dampening properties the bars have (double tape, gel inserts, carbon bar etc etc), how the fork is shaped (not a fan of the 920 straight alloy fork shape, but it can work), does the seatpost have some dampening (thudbuster for example).

All in all, nowdays it's very rarely about the frame material.
Old 04-12-16, 09:20 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Just a preemptive word of encouragement - BillyD's request in the Show us your Trek 920 thread stands. Taking the same crap from one thread to another doesn't do anything to help the situation and will not be tolerated. Not everything has to be an argument. Inflammatory comments aren't helping anything, either. Let it rest...now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.