Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Koolstop pads - front or back?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-16, 04:03 PM
Jean_TX

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I need better braking, so I got some Koolstop pads - one pair dual compound, and one pair of salmon compound. I'll use one pair for the front and the other pair for the rear.

Which pads should I install for the rear brake (which I tend to use the most) ?

Thanks
Old 04-25-16, 04:18 PM
prathmann

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Won't make much difference either way since both sets of pads work well. The front brake gives you much more stopping power when you need to make a quick stop so I'd suggest getting into the habit of using it more. And that's where I'd be inclined to put the salmon pads
Old 04-25-16, 04:20 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Liked 1,101 Times in 729 Posts
Originally Posted by Jean_TX
I need better braking....Which pads should I install for the rear brake (which I tend to use the most) ?
If you need better braking use your front brake. You should learn to use your front brake for most purposes; then when you need to make an emergency stop it will be a habit to use it and you will have the skill to use it effectively. Your rear brake has only a fraction of the stopping ability of the front. Many cyclists, both bi- and motor-, have come to grief by sliding into danger with a locked rear brake.

Here is an article which contains much wisdom: Braking and Turning Your Bicycle
Old 04-25-16, 04:52 PM
ltxi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With all due respect to Sheldon Brown's wisdom, I don't quite agree. I've always used both front and rear brakes with a bit of rear in first bias on any and all vehicles. Perhaps just a comfortable habit from my before I got into anything two wheel racing days but I'm good with it and too old to change up now. I do agree, wholeheartedly, the fronts should bear the brunt of any heavy braking work,
Old 04-25-16, 05:50 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4,301 Times in 1,584 Posts
Originally Posted by ltxi
With all due respect to Sheldon Brown's wisdom, I don't quite agree. I've always used both front and rear brakes
I agree with this. Nearly all ordinary (non-emergency) braking situations are below the threshold where the rear wheel starts to skid, so why not use the rear brake also? I think it feels better using both. I also think that in an emergency situation you will stop quicker if you were using both brakes before the rear wheel lifted and if you keep your weight back you can get an awful lot of braking done before the rear wheel skids. I don't see the downside to using both most of the time (except maybe a little extra pad wear).
Old 04-25-16, 09:50 PM
Crankycrank

Liked 1,218 Times in 841 Posts
I'd use the salmon on the front since that's where most of your braking is and when it's wet the salmon will provide better stopping. Having said that, there is probably very little difference between the two pads but if it were my bike, salmons in the front for just that little bit of extra power.
Old 04-26-16, 04:22 PM
Jaywalk3r

Bikes: 29er commuter/tourer, 26er commuter/tourer, folding mixed-mode commuter

Liked 48 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
If you need better braking use your front brake. You should learn to use your front brake for most purposes; then when you need to make an emergency stop it will be a habit to use it and you will have the skill to use it effectively.
+1

Personally, my typical stop involves a hard activation of front brake to stop as short as possible. In the event I need to make a short emergency stop, I don't have to do anything out of the ordinary; I just stop normally. My rear brake is seldom used.
Old 04-26-16, 04:39 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I agree with this. Nearly all ordinary (non-emergency) braking situations are below the threshold where the rear wheel starts to skid, so why not use the rear brake also? I think it feels better using both. I also think that in an emergency situation you will stop quicker if you were using both brakes before the rear wheel lifted and if you keep your weight back you can get an awful lot of braking done before the rear wheel skids. I don't see the downside to using both most of the time (except maybe a little extra pad wear).

I've never heard anyone say you should only use the front. Most people say you should use both. The guy you replied to however said he had a bias for the back, and the reason why people emphasize the front is because of people like this, who rely on on the back more. That's the wrong instinct.
Old 04-26-16, 05:32 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I use both brake pretty much all the time; that's what they are there for.

I'm much too OCD to have non-matching brake pads; I'd never sleep again...
Old 04-26-16, 05:46 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by lostarchitect
I've never heard anyone say you should only use the front. Most people say you should use both. The guy you replied to however said he had a bias for the back, and the reason why people emphasize the front is because of people like this, who rely on on the back more. That's the wrong instinct.
Fair enough. I agree that the front should be primary. What I was agreeing with in the post I quoted was the disagreement with Sheldon Brown (which I don't do lightly). In the article linked earlier, Sheldon wrote this: "Generally I advise against using both brakes at the same time. There are exceptions, however..." I just don't see why it would be necessary to advise against using both.
Old 04-26-16, 07:43 PM
Jaywalk3r

Fair enough. I agree that the front should be primary. What I was agreeing with in the post I quoted was the disagreement with Sheldon Brown (which I don't do lightly). In the article linked earlier, Sheldon wrote this: "Generally I advise against using both brakes at the same time. There are exceptions, however..." I just don't see why it would be necessary to advise against using both.
Consider a relatively flat road with clean dry pavement on a solo, upright bike with no panniers or trailer, i.e., nothing that provides mass that won't shift forward under hard braking. For reasons given by Sheldon, the fastest one can stop is with the front brake alone; it's just physics. The intermediate value theorem from Calculus tells us that any amount of negative acceleration (i.e., "deceleration"), from none to the maximum, can be provided by the front brake alone. Thus, there is no need to use the rear brake. While we could supplement with the rear brake, doing so provides no extra utility; it only makes the process more complex. When practicing an action that will potentially be used as an emergency procedure, unnecessary complexity is not a good thing.
Old 04-26-16, 11:19 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Jaywalk3r
Consider a relatively flat road with clean dry pavement on a solo, upright bike with no panniers or trailer, i.e., nothing that provides mass that won't shift forward under hard braking. For reasons given by Sheldon, the fastest one can stop is with the front brake alone; it's just physics. The intermediate value theorem from Calculus tells us that any amount of negative acceleration (i.e., "deceleration"), from none to the maximum, can be provided by the front brake alone. Thus, there is no need to use the rear brake. While we could supplement with the rear brake, doing so provides no extra utility; it only makes the process more complex. When practicing an action that will potentially be used as an emergency procedure, unnecessary complexity is not a good thing.
I don't buy it. If you brake hard enough to lift the rear wheel, you're not really controlling the bike. That might be the theoretical maximum braking power, but I don't think it's practical and I don't think that's the way you typically stop (i.e., you don't ordinarily brake hard enough to lift the rear wheel). I know for certain that it isn't the way I usually stop.

I can brake really hard with the front brake without lifting the rear wheel. What's more, I can apply additional braking force by using the rear brake at the same time. N.B.: I'm not claiming that this is additional force beyond what the front brake is capable of producing. I'm claiming that this is additional force beyond what the front brake does produce when I'm using it in a controlled manner. So while I can achieve the theoretical maximum force with the front brake alone, I find that I can modulate my braking better at a higher level using both brakes.

Also, I would argue that in an emergency situation being in the habit of squeezing both brakes leaves less room for disastrous failure than being in the habit of squeezing just one lever. If I squeeze both and lift the rear wheel, I just have one hand doing something useless while the other does what is needed. If I squeeze with just one hand, it better be the correct one (my non-preferred hand, no less) or I'm in trouble.
Old 04-26-16, 11:23 PM
American Euchre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jean_TX
I need better braking, so I got some Koolstop pads - one pair dual compound, and one pair of salmon compound. I'll use one pair for the front and the other pair for the rear.

Which pads should I install for the rear brake (which I tend to use the most) ?

Thanks

I doubt it matters. Install them either way and report back with a quick review.
Old 04-27-16, 10:18 AM
Jaywalk3r

I don't buy it.
That's okay, because I'm not selling it. Science is not something to be believed; it's something to be understood.

If you brake hard enough to lift the rear wheel, you're not really controlling the bike.
Actually, you can. It just takes practice, not unlike a trackstand.

That might be the theoretical maximum braking power, but I don't think it's practical and I don't think that's the way you typically stop (i.e., you don't ordinarily brake hard enough to lift the rear wheel). I know for certain that it isn't the way I usually stop.
It's the way I typically stop, because when I need to stop short, I want it to be second nature. I practice stoppies often.

I can brake really hard with the front brake without lifting the rear wheel.
Then either you're loading the rear wheel down with panniers, a stoker, etc., or your front brake is not adjusted properly. Or your idea of "really hard" is less than full braking.

What's more, I can apply additional braking force by using the rear brake at the same time. N.B.: I'm not claiming that this is additional force beyond what the front brake is capable of producing. I'm claiming that this is additional force beyond what the front brake does produce when I'm using it in a controlled manner.
You should be able to apply max braking forces in a controlled manner. Practice stoppies often.

Also, I would argue that in an emergency situation being in the habit of squeezing both brakes leaves less room for disastrous failure than being in the habit of squeezing just one lever. If I squeeze both and lift the rear wheel, I just have one hand doing something useless while the other does what is needed. If I squeeze with just one hand, it better be the correct one (my non-preferred hand, no less) or I'm in trouble.
Why anyone would not match their primary (front) brake lever on their dominant hand is beyond me. Failure to do so sets one up for failure in an emergency in the exact manner in which you describe.

By the way, when I talk about practicing stoppies, I don't mean practice shifting weight forward just enough to lift the rear wheel. I mean practice max braking and maintaining control as the rear wheel comes off the ground despite the body not shifting towards the bar at all.
Old 04-27-16, 12:22 PM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Two wheeled braking is very complicated, especially since the front and rear brakes are normally operated separately by the rider, who ‘normally’ has little experience with hard/emergency braking.

Here are some considerations:
  • Weight transfer and its effect on required brake lever force.
1) The harder one brakes, the less important the rear brake and the more important the front. At or near the limits of tire adhesion this ‘weight-transfer’ effect is critical, mostly because most riders don’t understand it and have not trained for it. Critical (hard) braking lever pressure requirements are very different from ‘normal’. Almost no rider is prepared/trained for this sometimes enormous difference
  • Complications of braking while steering:
1) There is only so much traction available. If one brakes the front tire very hard, near its limit of adhesion, and then adds the side-load of changing direction – the total traction available may very well be exceeded. The tire will then slide and the rider might become closely acquainted with the surface of the Earth.
2) The (directional) stabilizing force of rear tire braking is diminished as the braking force increases.
  • Human factors:
1) Riders who normally apply equal force to both brakes are not ‘trained’ to adjust to the requirements of emergency braking (increased dynamic weight transfer forward).
i. When the rear wheel begins to slide, these riders almost always reduce braking of both wheels. Hence Sheldon’s (R.I.P.) admonition.
ii. This is a problem similar to that of ‘cage’ drivers who let-up on their brakes when the anti-lock system engages and begins vibrating the brake pedal. They have not been trained perhaps because the eager salesman who sold them the car was also untrained and relatively stupid.

There is so much more I could say about braking but don’t care to.

Joe

Last edited by Joe Minton; 04-27-16 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-27-16, 01:00 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

I just don't see why it would be necessary to advise against using both.

I agree, I pretty much always use both. I was an avid motorcyclist before I started bicycling a lot and I think I learned good braking practices from that.
Old 04-27-16, 01:01 PM
Andy_K 

Science is not something to be believed; it's something to be understood.
I agree with this statement about science, but it really feels to me as if you are using science like a believer, trying to beat me with a dogmatic stick. At no point did I dispute the science involved. On the contrary, I affirmed it. What I'm disputing is the application.

As for the bike being under control when you lift the rear wheel, perhaps I should have been more precise. What I mean to say is that you have more control of the bike when both wheels are on the ground. I'll grant that in many circumstances you can keep control of the bike while traveling in a straight line while braking hard enough to lift the rear wheel, and you will usually be able to stop the bike quickly enough that the straight line motion is sufficient. However, if I need to steer the bike, I find that having both wheels on the ground is helpful.

When I talk about braking hard without lifting the rear wheel, maybe my idea of really hard braking and your idea of really hard braking are different. I mean something vague like coming to a stop in a very short time/distance, not braking as hard as I can. When I come to a stop in normal situations, I'm not anywhere near the force that it would take to lift the rear wheel. I can brake a good bit harder than I would for my normal stop and still keep the rear wheel engaged. That's what I meant. I can lift the rear wheel if I want/need to, but I very rarely do. Also, I weigh 200+ pounds, so I've got a lot of weight to shift back over the rear wheel.

What it really comes down to for me is that I prefer the feel of using both brakes in normal circumstances. Beyond that, I think that using both brakes has advantages in many near-emergency situations and in the case of needing to produce the fastest stop possible I can't imagine what difference it makes whether I'm using both brakes or just the front.
Old 04-27-16, 01:15 PM
techsensei

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joe Minton
There is only so much traction available.
It's interesting to me that tires are rarely talked about with regards to stopping.
Old 04-27-16, 01:27 PM
Jaywalk3r

I agree with this statement about science, but it really feels to me as if you are using science like a believer, trying to beat me with a dogmatic stick. At no point did I dispute the science involved. On the contrary, I affirmed it. What I'm disputing is the application.
I'm simply trying to point out that, and why, Sheldon was correct.

When I talk about braking hard without lifting the rear wheel, maybe my idea of really hard braking and your idea of really hard braking are different. I mean something vague like coming to a stop in a very short time/distance, not braking as hard as I can. When I come to a stop in normal situations, I'm not anywhere near the force that it would take to lift the rear wheel.
We address normal stops differently. Unless there is reason for me to do otherwise, my normal, run of the mill stop involves max braking. I came to bicycle commuting from a skydiving background, and have retained that mindset. As a skydiver, I practice my emergency procedures frequently, so that they are second nature when needed. One of the ways that mindset manifests itself on a bicycle is taking advantage of ordinary stops to practice max braking. To me, it makes more sense to have to modify my normal braking procedure in order to stop more slowly than it does to need to modify my normal procedure in order to stop more quickly. In an emergency stop situation, I want to be able to stop normally, so that my brain can be focused on other aspects of the situation.
Old 04-27-16, 01:32 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Unless there is reason for me to do otherwise, my normal, run of the mill stop involves max braking.

I think you are pretty unique in that!
Old 04-27-16, 01:36 PM
techsensei

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We address normal stops differently. Unless there is reason for me to do otherwise, my normal, run of the mill stop involves max braking.
Do you stop your car the same way?!
Old 04-27-16, 01:50 PM
Jaywalk3r

Originally Posted by techsensei
Do you stop your car the same way?!
I own a bike. Why would I own a car? Besides, piloting a bicycle has very little in common with operating a car.
Old 04-27-16, 02:30 PM
himespau 

Liked 3,120 Times in 1,926 Posts
I find it less jarring on the body to gently ease into a stop. Plus, I'm lazy and like to stop pedaling and coast if I have an excuse to do so (like a stop or turn coming up). Riding full bore up until the last second then slamming on the brakes sounds less fun but maybe better training. I guess that's why I'm fat.

Old 04-27-16, 03:39 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I own a bike. Why would I own a car?
Why indeed..?
Old 04-27-16, 04:31 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

I own a bike. Why would I own a car? Besides, piloting a bicycle has very little in common with operating a car.

Don't you lock up the wheels that way? I'd think it'd shorten tire life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.