Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Travel options for two Catrike 559s?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-16, 07:35 PM
MichelleOH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Would these fit safely in the folded position on a hitch mount cargo rack? I'm not sure of tie-down options...
Old 05-04-16, 07:06 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
2' X 3' X 4' high and 35 pounds each. What's the size and rating of your cargo rack? I definitely wouldn't exceed that.

We recently bought a Catrike Trail for Mrs. grouch and I was very favorably impressed with how neatly it folds and how solidly it stands on it's storage castors when folded. I'd want at least one of those ratchet straps in each direction on each trike.

Tail lights going to still be visible?
Old 05-04-16, 07:10 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,254 Times in 630 Posts
What's the size and rating of your cargo rack?

Old 05-04-16, 07:31 AM
MichelleOH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Retro Grouch for sizing info...though I realize the models may be a bit different I haven't found a folded size listed anywhere for the 559. I don't yet have the trikes or the rack, 10 wheels. Just looking at options at this point. Two would probably fit in my Vue folded up, but was wondering about actual travel and if a cargo rack would be a better option than a hitch mounted bike carrier. My main concern (having not seen any of it) is if the trikes would sit/lie correctly on the rack. Seems they would be sideways on a wheel as the luggage wheels and kickstand wouldn't be very secure?
Old 05-04-16, 01:33 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Mrs. Grouch and I own a Honda Element. Her Trail (folded) fits inside on it's storage casters and kick stand with a bit of room to spare. I don't know if a Vue is tall enough for that to work. I doubt it because I was surprised to find it worked in the Element. With the rear seats removed we can get her trike, my recumbent bike and all of our "stuff" in the back pretty easily. I would much rather carry the bikes inside our car than on any kind of exterior rack.

FWIW, it only takes us about 5 minutes to get both bikes out and unfolded, change shoes and get otherwise ready to ride. It takes about 8 minutes to reload the bikes into the car and get them strapped down. I'm pretty satisfied with that.
Old 05-04-16, 07:30 PM
MichelleOH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, helpful info! I'm still most concerned with long distance travel to other states. Guess we'll just cross that bridge when we get to it.
Old 05-05-16, 03:44 PM
mchell

Bikes: Rans Screamer, Catrike Expedition, Specialized Montain Bike, Cannondale Quick SL1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will start by saying that this is an expensive option. Atoc Prices & Specifications

However, we have used this set up weekly for the past 13 years, with trikes, recumbent tandem, as well as diamond frame bikes. (Including 7 long hauls from Canada to Florida and back.) It's a slick, safe, bullet-proof way to carry awkward sized and awkward shaped bikes/trikes on a receiver hitch on a car or motorhome. Yes, expensive, but so is the load the rack is carrying. The system has given me peace of mind. Mike
Old 05-05-16, 05:31 PM
MichelleOH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Mike! I'll check it out.