Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question about tire brands

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-16, 10:50 AM
grangerknives

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello All,

It is new tire time, as have worn through the outer rubber and the poly-belts of my tires. I would like some advice of which brands are better. I probably can't afford the very best. But I am wise enough to know that I certainly cannot afford to buy the cheapest either. I need a 26 X 2.125. I thought of Michelin, but they don't make that size. I thought of Goodyear, but their 26's "fit" multiple widths (1.75 - 2.125), per their packaging, as seen on the internet.

I did look thru the other categories for this subject and was unable to find it. I hope you can help.

Sincere thanks,
Paul
Old 05-05-16, 10:58 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
Goodyear -- are you asking about motorcycle tires? This is a bicycle forum.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-05-16, 11:19 AM
techsensei

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by grangerknives
I would like some advice of which brands are better.
All brands have their fans. I couldn't say which is better. I personally like Avocet, but they've been out-of-business for years (I buy good used ones when I can find them!). Names that get bandied about often as being good include Panaracer, Schwalbe, Continental, Michelin, Specialized. There are others as well.

I need a 26 X 2.125.
Your bike can fit many different sizes; it does not have to be 2.125 in with width. You can install narrower if you want the bike a little lighter and faster, or wider for more traction and comfort. What kind of bike is it?
Old 05-05-16, 12:02 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I presume this is a mountain bike. If you are using it mainly on pavement as a commuter, I have used the Kenda K193 Kwest (smooth pattern, actually modeled off a motorcycle tire, also had it on my Honda ) which I really liked, tough and smooth rolling. I switched those up to the Forte Gotham when I moved to using the bike more on clay and limestone trails, bit more aggressive tread to counteract slickness when wet, and a bit narrower too. Both were infinitely nicer to ride on than knobby MTB tires. Neither were expensive, got the Kendas from a local sporting good chain for like $11, and the Fortes were $12 IIRC.
Old 05-05-16, 12:06 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18576 Post(s)
Liked 16,037 Times in 7,529 Posts
Pirelli.
Old 05-05-16, 12:19 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Hoosier.
Old 05-05-16, 12:29 PM
techsensei

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Goodyear -- are you asking about motorcycle tires? This is a bicycle forum.
The World's largest retailer Walmart carries Goodyear-branded bicycle tires and tubes. Who knows if they really do make them or if they are just rebranded Cheng-Shin, Kenda, etc.
Old 05-05-16, 12:32 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by techsensei
The World's largest retailer Walmart carries Goodyear-branded bicycle tires and tubes. Who knows if they really do make them or if they are just rebranded Cheng-Shin, Kenda, etc.
Well, I'll be!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-05-16, 01:06 PM
grangerknives

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
I presume this is a mountain bike. If you are using it mainly on pavement as a commuter, I have used the Kenda K193 Kwest (smooth pattern, actually modeled off a motorcycle tire, also had it on my Honda ) which I really liked, tough and smooth rolling. I switched those up to the Forte Gotham when I moved to using the bike more on clay and limestone trails, bit more aggressive tread to counteract slickness when wet, and a bit narrower too. Both were infinitely nicer to ride on than knobby MTB tires. Neither were expensive, got the Kendas from a local sporting good chain for like $11, and the Fortes were $12 IIRC.
Sorry I should have specified. I ride about 95% of the time on streets and sidewalks.
Old 05-05-16, 01:11 PM
grangerknives

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by techsensei
Although I couldn't find anything on a Goodyear website about their tires, I found a lot of press heralding their return to bike tire manufacturing. But you're right. Who really knows who makes what. I was a GE appliance tech for a couple decades and it blew my mind how much the manufacturers bought and sold to one another, then re-branded.
Old 05-05-16, 01:15 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Schwalbe, Continental, Panaracer, etc. Since you ride on the street any tire with a kevlar belt to protect against cuts and punctures should be good.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-05-16, 01:20 PM
jefnvk

Sorry I should have specified. I ride about 95% of the time on streets and sidewalks.
A vote to stick with something smooth treads, then. Simply amazing how much going from knobbies to smooth tread improves a MTB on pavement, even if you don't take down the width at the same time (always liked the cushion the Kendas provided at 1.95").
Old 05-05-16, 01:26 PM
techsensei

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found a lot of press heralding their return to bike tire manufacturing.
Press releases are like that. Whatever the case, I doubt you'll find Goodyear bicycle tires in any independent bike shop. That doesn't mean much though, other than they haven't convinced any distributor to stock them ... who wants to compete with Walmart?

The Kenda Kwest mentioned above are decent budget tires; we stock the 26 x 1.5 at the co-op for people who want their mountain bike to roll more like a hybrid.
Old 05-05-16, 05:18 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Conti....
Old 05-05-16, 06:55 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Bike Tires Direct has Michelins in 26" and 1.4" (Wild Run'R slicks) to 1.75" widths (Country Rock all around tread) for around $15 or less apiece. Both get good reviews from folks wanting something pavement friendly for their mountain bikes. I can see why -- I briefly road a bike with knobbies just around a parking lot a few days ago and wouldn't want to ride those more than a mile. Felt like half my effort was going into tread squirm.
Old 05-05-16, 09:20 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,075 Posts
Goodyear Returns to Bicycle Tires - Bloomberg
Old 05-06-16, 07:02 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by dedhed
"Chinese-manufactured, Goodyear-approved replacement tires"

So in other words, they'll be the exact same thing as my Fortes, some Cheng Shens with a Goodyear sticker stuck over the CS branding.
Old 05-06-16, 07:35 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 619 Posts
Consider a smooth tread, and narrower, such as 26 x 1.75 or so.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-06-16, 07:53 AM
grangerknives

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really appreciate all your good advice very much!
Old 05-06-16, 07:57 AM
grangerknives

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So in other words, they'll be the exact same thing as my Fortes, some Cheng Shens with a Goodyear sticker stuck over the CS branding.
No wonder they had nothing to say about it on their website! They have nothing to do with it... Deception. Renting out one's good name for a few bucks spoils one's good name.
Old 05-06-16, 07:59 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 804 Times in 511 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed

No different then the multitude of frames manufactured by Giant for bicycle companies throughout the world. You don't get to be as big as Giant by selling a single branded bike line.
Old 05-06-16, 08:23 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,582 Times in 1,069 Posts
Although I couldn't find anything on a Goodyear website about their tires, I found a lot of press heralding their return to bike tire manufacturing. But you're right. Who really knows who makes what. I was a GE appliance tech for a couple decades and it blew my mind how much the manufacturers bought and sold to one another, then re-branded.
I bought Goodyear brand tires at a Goodyear Tire Store in Philadelphia the last time I bought tires (maybe about 1975) for my old Schwinn balloon tired (26 x 2.125") knee action bike. They were still good when I sold that bike in 1997.
Old 05-06-16, 08:47 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
So many to choose from. If you are riding mostly pavement, 26 x 1.5 to 2.0 is fine. Go with a smooth tread. You can find adequate tires from about $20 to $30 a piece.

A few brands, models that come to mind are the Kenda Kwest, Panaracer Ribmos, Geax Street Runners, Michelin City, Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Other brands that are known for quality are Continental, Specialized, Vittoria (Geax is owned by them). This is far from an exhaustive list. You could even look for budget choices, like Nashbar, which will sometimes offer their house brand tires at a good price.

Based on what I read about Good Year bike tires, I would stay away from them except in an emergency situation, like maybe you had a catastrophic tire failure just outside a Wal Mart and the nearest bike shop is a hundred miles away.

Your decision how much you want to spend. Something like the Schwalbe is expensive but close to bulletproof. Might be overkill for what you want to do, but might be worth it if you are going on an unsupported cross country tour. Kenda or Geax are decent budget tires and should last a number of years without trouble but won't be as resistant to punctures as the Schwalbe. Panaracer is somewhere in between.

Last edited by MRT2; 05-06-16 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-06-16, 02:39 PM
grangerknives

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up buying a Schwalbe Big Apple 26 Inch Performance Line Tire. It is a 26 x 2.35
I went wide because the tire description mentioned that it was E-Bike ready, as mine is an e-bike.
And it is rated up to 300 lbs. As I weigh about 250 and carry a backpack that weighs about 35 lbs, as well as sometimes picking up cargo while I'm out, I figured that weight rating would be a good thing.

Thanks very much for all your advice. Because of you, I shopped only the brands mentioned & I shopped at biketiresdirect-com. That was good because they were having a sale and I saved over $10 on tyre and tube.

Greatfully yours,
Paul

Old 05-06-16, 05:41 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
What I can't figure out is why a company like Goodyear who makes really good car and truck tires would want to make schity bicycle tires? You would think they would go the same direction as Conti and Michelin who make quality bicycle and car tires, and keep their image intact. But that's just me, I guess I'm silly for thinking that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.