Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2007-2008 ultegra bike value?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-16, 05:38 PM
rhouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

at the moment about $500, aluminum frame, carbon fork, ultegra components, has shimano stock parts including wheels and is a bit rusty, no pics of the drive train owner said it has 7 rear rings- which doesn't makes sense with ultegra, bikebluebook puts it around 500-550 for like new condition. What would be a fair price on this bike, not sure if i should bid or pass
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
c1.jpg (97.4 KB, 70 views)
c2.jpg (90.5 KB, 44 views)
c3.jpg (84.9 KB, 40 views)
c4.jpg (83.8 KB, 41 views)
c5.jpg (80.7 KB, 42 views)
c6.jpg (94.7 KB, 42 views)
c7.jpg (93.8 KB, 39 views)
c8.jpg (79.1 KB, 47 views)
c9.jpg (86.7 KB, 34 views)
c10.jpg (82.8 KB, 38 views)
c11.jpg (94.8 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by rhouse; 05-25-16 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-25-16, 05:48 PM
mooder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems like the flaws are only cosmetic. For 500$ I think this is an awesome price... If you insist on the flaws you could probably bargain a bit. I would check the wheels bearing carefully. Just take the wheel and make it spin while holding it with your hand. You should feel if the bearings are dead immediately. Next thing to look for is the headset (hold the front brake and apply back and forth pressure). Verify that nothing move. It's normal that there is a tiny movement.
Old 05-25-16, 05:51 PM
rhouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the quick response, it's an online listing not sure how high it will go, it had a buy now at 575 that's no longer up. I noticed you're in montreal all these bikes easier to come by in canada?
Old 05-25-16, 06:02 PM
noodle soup

Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
That is Ultegra 6600(10 speed).
Old 05-25-16, 06:18 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I would say $500 is pushing it. It's almost 10 years old, 2 generation old Ultegra with non group brakes and cranks. Several cosmetic dings on it and rusty aluminum steerer tube
Old 05-25-16, 06:22 PM
PnA83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always find it difficult to bid on a bike I cant actually see or touch, you're really putting in faith that the seller, not too say that is not a good thing. If I may ask are you biding on ebay?

500 seems like a middle of the road price point in my opinion as someone stated its 10 years old and from what I can tell there is alot of rust.
Old 05-25-16, 06:46 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
$500USD is would be about $650CAD for that bike. That's about right around these parts, though it all depends on the condition of bike. Although the damage to the frame is cosmetic they devalue the bike nonetheless. But what do you expect from an almost-10-year-old bike?

Most sellers around here highly overvalue their bikes. One could argue that it's not overvalue if they are able to sell at those prices. But that's not the case. I keep seeing the same ads month after month. The worst are the 30 year old clunker steel bikes with the safety brakes on the tops asking for $400+.
Old 05-25-16, 06:47 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
$500USD is would be about $650CAD for that bike. That's about right around these parts, though it all depends on the condition of bike. Although the damage to the frame is cosmetic they devalue the bike nonetheless. But what do you expect from an almost-10-year-old bike?

Most sellers around here highly overvalue their bikes. One could argue that it's not overvalue if they are able to sell at those prices. But that's not the case. I keep seeing the same ads month after month. The worst are the 30 year old clunker steel bikes with the safety brakes on the tops asking for $400+.

Local market does come into play. Not sure where OP is
Old 05-25-16, 07:09 PM
link0

Bikes: '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would not buy for $500.
Old 05-25-16, 07:20 PM
jimc101

Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
and rusty aluminum steerer tube
You know that aluminium can not rust ever!

The top cap bolt looks to have some rust (that will be steel), that's easy to replace
Old 05-25-16, 07:23 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,571 Times in 3,395 Posts
Originally Posted by rhouse
at the moment about $500, aluminum frame, carbon fork, ultegra components, has shimano stock parts including wheels and is a bit rusty, no pics of the drive train owner said it has 7 rear rings- which doesn't makes sense with ultegra, bikebluebook puts it around 500-550 for like new condition.
2008 Cervelo Soloist Team Ultegra - New and Used Bike Value

Hmmm... I don't think the bike would sell for $2K new today, as CF has dominated the mid to upper market. However, perhaps a CAD12 would be a good comparison bike.

Anyway, $500 doesn't sound like a bad price for that bike if it fits, and is what you want. Not necessarily a smoking deal, but not too bad.
Old 05-25-16, 07:29 PM
andr0id

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I would say $500 is pushing it. It's almost 10 years old, 2 generation old Ultegra with non group brakes and cranks. Several cosmetic dings on it and rusty aluminum steerer tube
I'm agreeing with this. If it was in very good condition, it would be worth $500. the dings and the weird scraping on the crank arms makes me leery of what else this knucklehead has done to this bike. I'd sell it for $300 to get it out of my garage if it were mine.
Old 05-25-16, 07:31 PM
clubber

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Local market does come into play. Not sure where OP is
I concur my good man!

Being one who paid $500 back in 2014 for a 2006 Pilot 2.1 - Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle with the exact same Ultegra 6600 FD and RD combined with 105 brifters, I have to say that even after I paid $50 to have it shipped from Dallas I still feel I got a solid deal. Of course mine did not have the cosmetic damage like the one your considering.

For me one of the most important things to look at (and I did request from the seller additional pics of all the joint in the frame) is make sure there are no serious dent or especially cracks that could break down the road. The fact is the premium your paying is unquestionably for the brand name
Old 05-25-16, 07:53 PM
Raiden

Bikes: A little of everything

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The name carries a little weight- $500ish is a solid price. Here's a listing for a nearly identical frameset that sold for $400 shipped Cervelo Soloist Team Frame Fork Seat Post EXTRAS | eBay (of course, the seller only kept about $300 of that) Then add $200+ of value for the group and $100+ for the wheels. Plus all of the other parts I totally glossed over.

If this were, I dunno, a bikesdirect bike or some such, this would be a little different discussion.
Old 05-25-16, 08:08 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
2008 Cervelo Soloist Team Ultegra - New and Used Bike Value

Hmmm... I don't think the bike would sell for $2K new today, as CF has dominated the mid to upper market. However, perhaps a CAD12 would be a good comparison bike.

Anyway, $500 doesn't sound like a bad price for that bike if it fits, and is what you want. Not necessarily a smoking deal, but not too bad.
Except for the fact that aluminum has come along way. A CAAD12 is better than even a high end carbon frame from 2007. No comparison
Old 05-25-16, 08:11 PM
clubber

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiden
If this were, I dunno, a bikesdirect bike or some such, this would be a little different discussion.
I can't agree more. I am about to embark on a build of a carbon bike with an Ultegra 6800 group that will cost me in the neighborhood of 2k plus and yet BD has this Save Up To 60% Off Shimano Ultegra 6800 11 Speed Road Bikes | Carbon Fiber | Roadbikes - 2014 Motobecane Immortal Ice which is actually the 2016 model that literally took my breath away.
Old 05-25-16, 08:19 PM
Raiden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clubber
I can't agree more. I am about to embark on a build of a carbon bike with an Ultegra 6800 group that will cost me in the neighborhood of 2k plus and yet BD has this Save Up To 60% Off Shimano Ultegra 6800 11 Speed Road Bikes | Carbon Fiber | Roadbikes - 2014 Motobecane Immortal Ice which is actually the 2016 model that literally took my breath away.
The $600 difference is the part where you don't throw up in your mouth a little every time you look at it. Holy cow that's an ugly bike.
Old 05-25-16, 08:24 PM
rhouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
market is the nyc metro area, I guess it's a hot used market. ebay and craigslist are full of unrealistic sellers and flippers 90% of the listings are total junk department store bikes or so far off it's not even worth the time looking at the listing. I don't know if anyone is really buying from these sellers, many ask close to msrp because they use the bike a handful of times and then let it sit for 5 yrs. saw 5-10yr old bikesdirect bike asking $600 (msrp is under 400 now), On ebay within the last wk I've seen strange selling results. An overstock 2014 caad synapse 8 had 0 bids and didn't sell for $425, then a 2002 Cannondale R800 w/ 105, in poor condition, sold $400. Not sure if people actually buy the bikes or if sellers just bid up or remove listings

Not sure if I can buy anything remotely lightweight and of reasonable quality lot of sellers with their heads in the clouds at this point it just might make more sense to just buy something new on a credit card. Maybe I should just start emailing realistic offers even if it's a low ball offer from the unrealistic ask price. Sellers try to pass upgrade cost dollar to dollar on things like pedals, water cages, lights, bags, shoes, helmets etc wish I could at least get a seller that invested in wheels or something not $100-300 in accessories some which you can't really even transfer to a new owner or can be picked up on ebay for a fraction of the cost that they think retains substantial resale value

anyone know if you can stack RIE Coupons?

Last edited by rhouse; 05-25-16 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-25-16, 08:36 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not sure if I can buy anything remotely lightweight and of reasonable quality lot of sellers with their heads in the clouds at this point it just might make more sense to just buy something new on a credit card. Maybe I should just start emailing realistic offers even if it's a low ball offer from the unrealistic ask price. Sellers try to pass upgrade cost dollar to dollar on things like pedals, water cages, lights, bags, shoes, helmets etc wish I could at least get a seller that invested in wheels or something not $100-300 in accessories some which you can't really even transfer to a new owner or can be picked up on ebay for a fraction of the cost that they think retains substantial resale value
Personally, I never worry about the list price. It's natural for people to over value their stuff. Show up with cash and offer near book value. It's hard to pass up the bird in hand. If they balk than just call them down the road. Time usually teaches them a lesson.
Old 05-25-16, 08:46 PM
Raiden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Edit: oops

Last edited by Raiden; 05-25-16 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-25-16, 08:48 PM
clubber

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The $600 difference is the part where you don't throw up in your mouth a little every time you look at it. Holy cow that's an ugly bike.
Well like the kid in the movie Christine responded to the cop when he was told that "someone actually took a dump on your dash" he said "crap wipes off!" or something like that. I say a coat of primer and paint could make it more appealing. My point is full carbon and what it's equipped with.
Old 05-25-16, 08:50 PM
Raiden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love when sellers claim the upgrade prices on top of the original MSRP- for that to be realistic, you have to include the original parts too!

I can understand when some good ebay auction prices slip through- I don't bid on something until the last 15 minutes or so. Then sometimes I get distracted or forget. Oh well. I've had a few where I bought something after an auction ended by just messaging the seller.

I can understand high prices on CL too- whenever I put something up for sale, responses are almost always crazy lowballs- it doesn't matter if the asking price was fair or not (or even a little low), people just want to get a deal. I'm no exception TBH.

Originally Posted by Shuffleman
Personally, I never worry about the list price. It's natural for people to over value their stuff. Show up with cash and offer near book value. It's hard to pass up the bird in hand. If they balk than just call them down the road. Time usually teaches them a lesson.
This is true too, I've tried to be a cheapskate about things, pinching pennies, and missed out, realizing afterward that I should have bought the thing when it was in front of me.

Last edited by Raiden; 05-25-16 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-25-16, 08:52 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
market is the nyc metro area, I guess it's a hot used market. ebay and craigslist are full of unrealistic sellers and flippers 90% of the listings are total junk department store bikes or so far off it's not even worth the time looking at the listing. I don't know if anyone is really buying from these sellers, many ask close to msrp because they use the bike a handful of times and then let it sit for 5 yrs. saw 5-10yr old bikesdirect bike asking $600 (msrp is under 400 now), On ebay within the last wk I've seen strange selling results. An overstock 2014 caad synapse 8 had 0 bids and didn't sell for $425, then a 2002 Cannondale R800 w/ 105, in poor condition, sold $400. Not sure if people actually buy the bikes or if sellers just bid up or remove listings

anyone know if you can stack RIE Coupons?

The NYC market makes it a decent to good deal, assuming that you are comfortable with the condition and that the bike will fit you. I just facilitated a $400 Schwinn Peloton (1999 model, made with 853, and mostly Ultegra with a Dura Ace RD) from San Diego to New York to a buyer who paid an extra $120 in Paypal fees, shipping costs and my gas money because he couldn't find anything in his size that was nearly as good locally for under $600.

I can understand when some good ebay auction prices slip through- I don't bid on something until the last 15 minutes or so. Then sometimes I get distracted or forget. Oh well. I've had a few where I bought something after an auction ended by just messaging the seller.
That's how I got my pristine, all Campy 9-speed DeRosa for $650. Seller was local to me, and his description left a lot of ambiguity as to the particulars of the bike, and it went unsold with a starting bid of $700 and $125 more in shipping. So after his bike went unsold (I almost snipe-bid it at the end, but for the ambiguous issues) I contacted the seller, and checked it out in person, and bought it on the spot for $650 - which was basically $50 more than the seller would have gotten had the bike sold through ebay for $700 + shipping. One thing that was never mentioned in the listing was that it had a Record Ti Seat Post - just swapping that out for a Chorus CF post let me take another $80 out of the bike, so I ended up with a mostly Chorus all Campy 9 speed De Rosa in pristine condition for $570 net

Last edited by D1andonlyDman; 05-25-16 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-25-16, 08:59 PM
Raiden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clubber
Well like the kid in the movie Christine responded to the cop when he was told that "someone actually took a dump on your dash" he said "crap wipes off!" or something like that. I say a coat of primer and paint could make it more appealing. My point is full carbon and what it's equipped with.
Right, it COULD (COULD!) be just as good as your bike, for 2/3rds the price (but no way would it ever have been worth the $4000 claimed msrp lol). But that's the deal with custom bikes, you're making something that's unique and yours. Not economical, but fun. I own at least a half dozen bikes, and there's barely a stock bolt left on any of them.
Old 05-25-16, 09:05 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,571 Times in 3,395 Posts
Except for the fact that aluminum has come along way. A CAAD12 is better than even a high end carbon frame from 2007. No comparison
Probably a bit. I haven't watched the aluminum Cervelo's a lot.

Aluminum Colnagos show up from time to time, usually at quite a bit lower prices than either steel or Carbon Fiber, but it would still be hard to push the price below $500 for one in reasonable shape.

Here is a Trek, for comparison, that showed up on the local Craigslist.
TREK 1Series - $300

Anyway, it lists the Trek (1.1 or 1.2?) as being $800 new.

If the prices were the same, I'd choose the Cervelo over the Trek. Is it worth the extra $200, or almost double the cost? That would be an individual choice.

Here is a similar bike. Currently $500 + $50, and still bidding.
Cervelo Soloist | eBay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.