Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is there a consensus regarding the premiere biking magazine.... Is There One ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-16, 07:20 PM
Artfahie

Bikes: Trek FX7.2 Hybrid, Bianchi c2c road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I get way too much stuff in the mail as it is, but I'm looking to bring some arm-chair cycling into my home and wonder if there is a preferred magazine among enthusiasts like you folks. I know these are just opinions... but you never know unless you ask !... Art in Maine
Old 05-30-16, 07:45 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
I don't currently read any cycling magazines on a regular, or semi-regular, basis, but I do read much online about bikes.
Old 05-30-16, 08:21 PM
Artfahie

Bikes: Trek FX7.2 Hybrid, Bianchi c2c road bike

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me too, but the ads and new release news is nice to have around when you're tire if looking at internet.
Old 05-30-16, 08:43 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
Another me to in regards to not reading magazines, I read the internet myself. Magazine articles have become shorter as the years gone by so they could make room for more advertisements, what use to be endepth articles are now summaries, and then because these same magazines dedicate so much space for ads, and so many companies place ads that it makes it nearly impossible to do a review on a product and cut it down without fear of losing an endorsement which means losing money. This problem is with all magazines now cycling or something else, there may be a couple of exceptions like the Adventure Cyclists mag, and the Bicycle Times mag, but that's as far as I know.
Old 05-30-16, 09:45 PM
16 Tons

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to like Winning magazine and Velo News. I know Velo has a website, but Winning is long gone. I think the biggest problem with trying to keep a publication today is that not much in cycling has changed over the past 20 years or so. The other is, with so many knock-offs, it's hard to review one brand against the rest. How many times can you captivate an audience with a pedal review? New handlebars? There are TONS of them out there. Where do you start?
It reminds me a bit of electronic music gear limping for two decades and not until things went back to analog that there was something to report.
Old 05-31-16, 05:59 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by 16 Tons
I used to like Winning magazine and Velo News. I know Velo has a website, but Winning is long gone. I think the biggest problem with trying to keep a publication today is that not much in cycling has changed over the past 20 years or so. The other is, with so many knock-offs, it's hard to review one brand against the rest. How many times can you captivate an audience with a pedal review? New handlebars? There are TONS of them out there. Where do you start?
It reminds me a bit of electronic music gear limping for two decades and not until things went back to analog that there was something to report.
That is a problem of course but gear in cycling is changing at a far greater pace than music gear, and the same will happen to analog once it runs the wheel on magazines. It's funny about analog, I knew for years, due to knowing people that owned recording studios, that analog was superior, but trying to convince people of that was a very steep uphill battle. There was one digital media that actually could have been better than anything but they never went to it, and that was placing music on DVD's instead of CD's due to a lot more information could be put on a DVD, but the furthest that ever got was music videos, unfortunately the music itself was compressed to the same size as a CD to make room for the video which defeated the purpose of sound quality. A lot of recording stars today are now master recording on both now, digital and analog. Recording studios liked digital technology when it first came out because they could now put all sorts of computerized "instruments" into the recording and most people would never know it, and they could take a singer who has problems reaching certain notes and the computer would automatically take over for the shortcomings of the singer, this why a lot concerts either have the singer lip syncing, or they crank up the instruments higher than the singer so you can't tell if the singer fails to make the grade, but hey as long as that singer looks sexy and can dance who cares if they can sing! The computer later in the recording studio will make them sing just fine.
Old 05-31-16, 10:12 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked 1,232 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by Artfahie
I get way too much stuff in the mail as it is, but I'm looking to bring some arm-chair cycling into my home and wonder if there is a preferred magazine among enthusiasts like you folks. I know these are just opinions... but you never know unless you ask !... Art in Maine
Depends what you are looking for. Most of the English-speaking ones (NA and UK) are dreck and/or illiterate, unfortunately. By 'dreck' I mean that they typically consist of 'lifestyle/fitness' crap articles that seem to be repeated on an annual cycle ("You Can Have Guads of Steel This Summer"), along with "bike reviews" that are shilling for a manufacturer and/or written in a kind of anthropomorphic jargon that is risible (" ... the bike seemed to want to surge between my mighty guads as it thrust uphill, leaving my riding partners shattered in its wake ... "; "... it cornered as if it knew where I wanted to go before I did ...").

That said, a few that are reasonably good:

Mtb: Bike (U.S.; very good articles/photography; emphasis on people/places)
Road: Peloton (U.S.; could use better copy-editing, but consistently interesting); Rouleur (U.K.)
Old 05-31-16, 12:24 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
What kind of biking do you do? I subscribe to Dirt Rag, Bicycle Times and Bike. Like them all. YRMV.
Old 05-31-16, 12:32 PM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
don't read any of them... just can not see paying for 65 pages of advertising and 8 to 10 paragraphs of biking fluff.
Old 05-31-16, 12:38 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 2,577 Times in 1,584 Posts
Originally Posted by obed7
don't read any of them... just can not see paying for 65 pages of advertising and 8 to 10 paragraphs of biking fluff.
+1. I get enough ads online these days.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-31-16, 12:55 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
All cycling magazines [make that 'most magazines, period'] are little more than marketing propaganda and an excuse to get advertising in front of the eyes of a specific audience. Most of the various tests, reviews, etc. are calculated to make advertisers look good, or advance features which are common on many new bikes, in order to stimulate sales across the board; and ultimately, to make you want more and more junk, and to make you believe that what you bought yesterday is out-dated and cheesy, and that you're laughable if you don't have the very latest one!

A forum like this provides much better info than any magazine ever could. Even here, you'll get some opinions from some who have been influenced by the marketing/magazines, but you can usually seperate those quite easily from the real-world opinions of those who do their own thinking and draw their own conclusions.

Had to take a relative to a doctor a while back, and I found a copy of Cycling in the waiting room. I was utterly amazed that anyone would waste good money on such a publication. It was utterly worthless; clearly just in existence to sell advertising, and make it's readers drool over the latest & greatest expensive crap.
Old 05-31-16, 03:29 PM
cobyrne

Bikes: Surly X-Check, Bike Friday Family Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've enjoyed the writing in Bicycle Quarterly. It provides a nice mix of ride reports, history, and gear reviews.
Old 05-31-16, 03:55 PM
techsensei

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you join the League of American Bicyclists at the $70 advocate level, you will "Increase your support for bicycling advocacy, and receive the League's American Bicyclist along with your choice of up to four digital magazine subscriptions - Bicycling, Bicycle Times, Dirt Rag and Momentum. You'll also get discounts at dozens of participating businesses."
Old 05-31-16, 03:58 PM
Cychologist
Getting older and slower!

Bikes: Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Trek XO1, Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I still take Bicycling but usually am finished with it in 15 minutes. It does keep up with the trends, if nothing else through their ads.

i used to take Velo News to keep up with the pro circuit, but the Internet makes that obsolete.

Bicycle Times is a different mag. I enjoy from time to time. Frequently buy it when traveling.

if you really want a mag., look into those three.
Old 05-31-16, 04:03 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
+1. I get enough ads online these days.
Not only did I get sick and tired of ads in magazines and online like you but I got so fed up with ads on TV that now take up about a third of the show time, but if that wasn't enough time for them they have to throw up splash ads in the middle of the freaking show! So I cut cable because I'm not spending all that money to watch ads, and then I had a outside antenna put up (with a separate FM antenna) so I can watch ads for free, and I also subscribe to Netflix and watch all sorts of TV shows without any ads which as a bonus cuts down on the viewing time because a one hour show is done in about 40 minutes.

What pisses me off now about the internet is that I have several ad blockers but in the last 4 to 6 months the internet has defeated all of them and now I get pop ups all the time with no way to stop them. In addition I now go to some sites and the sites won't display unless I turn off the ad blocker!

All this advertising gets maddening. And with magazine subscriptions and cable companies losing business because of all the ads, you would think they would stop a lot of it.
Old 05-31-16, 07:55 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Sad to say that most of the cycling magazines anymore are picture books that are mainly just full of ads.
Old 05-31-16, 09:40 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone, 2023 Surly Disk Trucker

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 260 Posts
I like Peloton. Well done magazine and the only one I subscribed to.
Old 05-31-16, 09:59 PM
16 Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
That is a problem of course but gear in cycling is changing at a far greater pace than music gear, and the same will happen to analog once it runs the wheel on magazines. It's funny about analog, I knew for years, due to knowing people that owned recording studios, that analog was superior, but trying to convince people of that was a very steep uphill battle. There was one digital media that actually could have been better than anything but they never went to it, and that was placing music on DVD's instead of CD's due to a lot more information could be put on a DVD, but the furthest that ever got was music videos, unfortunately the music itself was compressed to the same size as a CD to make room for the video which defeated the purpose of sound quality. A lot of recording stars today are now master recording on both now, digital and analog. Recording studios liked digital technology when it first came out because they could now put all sorts of computerized "instruments" into the recording and most people would never know it, and they could take a singer who has problems reaching certain notes and the computer would automatically take over for the shortcomings of the singer, this why a lot concerts either have the singer lip syncing, or they crank up the instruments higher than the singer so you can't tell if the singer fails to make the grade, but hey as long as that singer looks sexy and can dance who cares if they can sing! The computer later in the recording studio will make them sing just fine.

Track expansion was another big appeal in the early days. Now almost everyone has a 64 track board but still have to have thousands of dollars in compressors make it sound warm again in PP
Old 06-01-16, 07:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Consensus? No.
Old 06-01-16, 07:21 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
On the iphone app, you get Bicycling on there. So I will browse through that one once a month. Sometimes there's interesting stuff in there.

I must say that for me, as well as a lot of others, the internet just kind of killed the magazine movement.

I remember heading to the grocery store with my mom when little just to pick up the latest magazine in whatever I was into that month...now, everything is a click away.
Old 06-01-16, 07:47 AM
16 Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike shops used to sell all the best mags. Not any more. Not around here anyway.
Old 06-01-16, 10:49 AM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For road cycling, Ride Cycling Review from Australia is awesome. If I remember correctly, it's quarterly and half of the content is pro cycling and the other half is tech and reviews. Tour magazine from Germany is often cited the best for road bike reviews, but I find that Ride is actually even more thorough (plus Tour is only available in German). Ride disassembles every bike they get in to review, weighs each part, measures stiffness of the frame in a jig, and has multiple riders ride each bike reviewed for multiple viewpoints.