Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Is there an Ortlieb designer in the audience? Help me love the Ultimate

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-16, 06:31 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 113 Posts

Received the Ultimate 6 Compact today, and I am... Underwhelmed...

The mounting bracket is well designed. Easy to install on the handlebars and interfaces very well with the bag.

But the bag is a 2.7L pouch, without any organizing feature, not even an elasticized net to put bank cards and lock key. The opening is front facing such that I have to lean over the handlebars to (try to) see what I am doing when fishing for a granola bar, somewhere at the bottom of a tall and narrow hole...

Surprising. A brand of such reputation and paying top dollars, yet I may try to retrofit the bracket to my humble Decathlon bag, a third of the price, much better design, BUT lousy mount and water "resistant".

Maybe I'll come to like the minimalist design, but I think I need help. How are we supposed to organize the content? (Cards and keys, bars, gloves, jacket, sunscreen, battery, etc. - and be able to find what we look for, while riding)

I like the Back Rollers. Not so sure about the Ultimate Compact...
Old 06-06-16, 06:37 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18567 Post(s)
Liked 15,998 Times in 7,513 Posts
Did you not research what you were buying before you bought it?
Old 06-06-16, 06:55 PM
northerntier

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it looks pretty useless to me as well. The regular ultimate 6, however, is quite useful. Opens on rider side w/ magnetic clasps, good size (not too large, like the Arkels), and comes w/ dividers for organization.
Old 06-07-16, 12:30 AM
gauvins

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Did you not research what you were buying before you bought it?
Yes I did. And actually found a comment somewhere criticizing the design. But this in a concert of general praise.

See this or this or that for example

I (still) assume that Ortlieb knows more about bike bags than I do and that there is a reason behind these choices. For instance, the back roller is also just a pouch, but it works for us as we organize by stuff sacks.

So yes, my post is a real question.

Last edited by gauvins; 06-07-16 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-07-16, 01:29 AM
gauvins

Originally Posted by northerntier
Yeah, it looks pretty useless to me as well. The regular ultimate 6, however, is quite useful. Opens on rider side w/ magnetic clasps, good size (not too large, like the Arkels), and comes w/ dividers for organization.
My issue with the regular is that it is much larger than what I want (7L vs 2.7 for the compact)
Old 06-07-16, 04:03 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18567 Post(s)
Liked 15,998 Times in 7,513 Posts
Your OP sounds like you were surprised to find out what you bought:

"But the bag is a 2.7L pouch, without any organizing feature, not even an elasticized net to put bank cards and lock key. The opening is front facing such that I have to lean over the handlebars to (try to) see what I am doing when fishing for a granola bar, somewhere at the bottom of a tall and narrow hole..."

Old 06-07-16, 05:55 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 805 Posts
To be honest, I think I held one in my hands once, but as as I had no serious interest in one, I didn't really look at it closely.
What I take from your situation is the importance of actually visiting stores and having X object in hand and comparing in hand with possible various options of different brands and models before making a decision. Actually feeling build quality, or lack thereof, actually seeing and comparing features.

Certainly brings up the age old expression of "Buyer Beware".
Old 06-07-16, 07:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Is there an Ortlieb designer in the audience?

Re state your question in German.

So put your things in a Crown Royal bag , then you can pull the bag out and riffle through it.

makes a OK Purse I Guess .. give it to your Wife.

actual proper Bar bag has options , dividers X like and a padded camera liner. DSLR cradle-dividers,

top of the line has electrical connector in bar mount & bag, to use hub dynamo power leads..

DIY? sew, Or hire it sewn, the liner you want, attach it with sticky back velcro you have attached to the shell..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-09-16 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-07-16, 08:11 AM
gauvins

Originally Posted by djb
To be honest, I think I held one in my hands once, but as as I had no serious interest in one, I didn't really look at it closely.
What I take from your situation is the importance of actually visiting stores and having X object in hand and comparing in hand with possible various options of different brands and models before making a decision. Actually feeling build quality, or lack thereof, actually seeing and comparing features.

Certainly brings up the age old expression of "Buyer Beware".

Two things. First, I routinely buy on Amazon and other sites, items that I usually research for feature set, " independent " reviews and customer evaluations. Online purchases for things like a TV, or major camping gear. Never seen before in a physical store, yet generally satisfied.

Second, my mind isn't made, yet. Being new to touring I don't trust my expectations blindly. If the ultimate compact garners excellent scores, and since it is made by such a reputable brand, maybe I don't know how to use it properly. For instance, I now put my cards and key inside a small stuff sack that I nest between the bag's shell and armature. Does it for me. So the answer could be to use a mixture of stuff sacks and containers.

And the spartan design may prove more durable than others.

Just asking. Well, had I been ecstatic, I wouldn't have asked
Old 06-07-16, 08:16 AM
gauvins

Originally Posted by fietsbob
state your question in German..
Gibt es eine Ortlieb Designer im Publikum?

Old 06-07-16, 08:23 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 230 Posts
what is the interior material of the bag?
if it's cloth...or cloth-like....maybe you could
get some velcro to stick.

in that case maybe check the castoff bins
at a photography store. camera bags
often come with velcro-tabbed dividers,
that just as often get tossed....or
could also buy spares.

if not, buy some velcro tape.
glue some strips along the inside.
sew/glue the matching velcro bits
to whatever you choose to use as
removable dividers.

keys? i sew a plain key ring to the
side of my hbar bag near the top.
house key keyring clips onto the
sewn-on ring. always on top.

Last edited by saddlesores; 06-07-16 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-07-16, 08:36 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
My handlebar bag is usually half empty, the only disadvantage of a bigger bag is the extra weight. But I am willing to accept that extra weight for those times I wanted to carry a bag of donuts or an article of clothing or last week when I put two chocolate milk shakes in my big (non-Ortlieb) handlebar bag. A note of caution, milk shake lids fall off quite easily when you hit pot holes, thus not recommended.

The other disadvantage of too big a bag is if you use brifters and if it is too wide for you to make your shifts, mine is close to the limit and if I used narrower bars I would have had a problem.

Originally Posted by gauvins
..., I now put my cards and key inside a small stuff sack that I nest between the bag's shell and armature. Does it for me. ...
Keys are one of those things that you want to make sure are very hard to lose. I am not sure what you mean by armature, but just make sure that a big pot hole will not knock them out.

A friend of mine put his keys in one of those little under-saddle wedge packs last year, after 30 miles he found the zipper on the pack was open, no keys or wallet inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP2517.jpg (42.7 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 06-07-16 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-07-16, 08:53 AM
mm718

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I pack on the lighter end of the spectrum (<25 lbs) and find myself easily using all of the space of the full size ortlieb handlebar bag. It's nice to have easy access to snacks, sunscreen, sunglasses/reading glasses, maps, camera, mp3 player, phone, pen and paper, wallet, the odd item of clothing, etc. I also keep my Click-Stand in the handlebar bag, which is easier than having to continually attach and detach it from the bike.

Last edited by mm718; 06-07-16 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-07-16, 09:04 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Gibt es eine Ortlieb Designer im Publikum?

Great, now Email the Manufacturer directly.
Old 06-07-16, 09:45 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 805 Posts
Gauvins, the one thing with the smaller size is ease of carrying, and they don't look like camera bags.
All the best improvising something that works inside.
Old 06-07-16, 10:12 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 530 Times in 365 Posts
Yes, a mesh pocket would have been useful.

From a google search for the bag:

at bikebagshop.com
Wish your shoulder bag could snap onto your handlebars?

The Ortlieb Ultimate 6 Classic compact is Ortlieb's smallest handlebar bag. This bag is great for carrying all the little things you want when you're downtown but don't want in your pocket while you ride.

A small handlebar bag like this is also handy for short tours and day trips when you don't need a lot of gear. Throw in a snack, point and shoot camera, phone, keys and you're set to go.

A removable shoulder strap is also included so you can carry the bag with you when you are on foot.

It seems to be more for carrying on errands while biking, instead of supporting a tour.

Last edited by rm -rf; 06-07-16 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-07-16, 10:24 AM
nickw

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes I did. And actually found a comment somewhere criticizing the design. But this in a concert of general praise.

See this or this or that for example

I (still) assume that Ortlieb knows more about bike bags than I do and that there is a reason behind these choices. For instance, the back roller is also just a pouch, but it works for us as we organize by stuff sacks.

So yes, my post is a real question.
Two of your gripes were specifically called out in one of the reviews:

Whilst its size is one feature that my wife prefers, the lack of dividers or an interior pocket is a major downside for her. Small objects will naturally descend to the very bottom of the bag. You could fashion a stiff divider yourself of course and also hold some contents in small bags inside too to overcome this issue.

and

It opens towards you while you are seated on the bike putting the long flap between you and the contents. Not a major point but viewing inside is a little awkward due to this.
Old 06-07-16, 10:49 AM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Two things. First, I routinely buy on Amazon and other sites, items that I usually research for feature set...
I use Amazon for all kinds of purchases, down to disposable razors, low cost being the main reason followed closely by time/vehicle fuel savings and general convenience. Their Prime membership allows one to make returns at no cost, and I have returned a lot of things that didn't fit, were inaccurately described or misrepresented on the website, damaged in shipping, defective or otherwise unsuitable. Free Prime returns have saved me from owning a lot of useless junk.
Old 06-07-16, 10:54 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 851 Times in 441 Posts
I don't know about the Compact, but I like the Classic that I have been using for several years.

Phone, Wallet, Passport, GPS, notebook, keys, spare camera battery, camera filters, thank you cards,notebook, pen, pencil, paperback book, snacks,sunglasses, and bandana. Camera goes in the orange case in the middle.
Old 06-07-16, 10:56 AM
MixedRider

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Its 2.7L. That is basically a small dry stuff sack.

How long have you owned it? How are you organizing what you put in there? Once you have a system, things will work themselves out.

Instead of a handlebar bag, I use a 5L dry stuff sack strapped to my rack for short day trips. I really don't need access to a lot of stuff while riding.

Glad you like the backrollers.
Old 06-07-16, 11:18 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
I do not use this handlebar bag any more, but this photo makes my point when I said above that a big bag can come in useful when you want to carry a sack of donuts. They were convenient for quite a few miles that way.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4907.jpg (101.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 06-07-16, 11:35 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 4,172 Times in 2,793 Posts
Eich Bin Ein Ortlbien Designinplatzenheimer
Old 06-07-16, 11:39 AM
gauvins

Old 06-07-16, 12:34 PM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 525 Times in 252 Posts
it is what it is, a empty Ortlieb bag

for better stuff here:

https://builtbyswift.com

and here:

Parsley Bags
Old 06-07-16, 02:05 PM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
The Compact is really designed as an around-town bag, for commuting and the like. More of a shoulder bag than a touring handlebar bag IMO. My wife has one and likes it a lot, as it carries nicely off-bike with the shoulder strap. I assume that's the reason it opens in the front, too: to mimic a purse's function.

Most of the "regular" Ortlieb HB bags open to the rear, and are better for touring. But, when carrying them off-bike, they are kind of a pain to access as it would be nicer to have them open to the front when on foot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.