Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Would an ebike get me 7 miles to work in 20 minutes?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-16, 06:37 AM
steve2k
Senior Mumbler

Bikes: Ridgeback Voyage (for touring and commuting), unknown beach cruiser (for smiling)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live about 7 hilly miles from work. It's about 5 miles of 50mph roads and 2.5miles of towns and traffic.

I cycle it in about 45 minutes but am sweaty and need a shower etc. So in total it takes me about an hour from door to desk.
It takes about 35 minutes to drive (there's a short cut if you cycle) - traffic and parking causing the biggest delays at the end of the journey.

I now need to try and do the journey in about 20 minutes because I have to drop my son at school at about 8:40 and be in a meeting at 9am.

My first instinct was to get a motorbike again because I know it can do 50mph down the road and nip through the traffic - but my wife won't be happy about this - I had a crash about 10 years ago and she hasn't wanted me to ride one since.

I'm thinking that maybe an electric bike would fit the bill.

For those of you that have them, is 20mph for 20 minutes possible over hilly ground (not a mountain, just undulating hills)? Are there particular types of e-bikes e.g. provide assistance to pedaling vs providing the power?

I've started looking online but thought I'd ask for the experience of people who have them.

Many thanks,
Steve
Old 06-08-16, 06:45 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5978 Post(s)
Liked 2,894 Times in 1,609 Posts
Originally Posted by steve2k

For those of you that have them, is 20mph for 20 minutes possible over hilly ground (not a mountain, just undulating hills)? .....
Yes and no. 20mph for 20 minutes is no issue. But, as you describe it there's urban delays such as lights, so AVERAGING 20mph over that stretch is most likely impossible. Of course it depends on how much of the time is lost to traffic lights and the like, and what the top end of the e-bike is.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-08-16, 06:52 AM
steve2k
Senior Mumbler

Bikes: Ridgeback Voyage (for touring and commuting), unknown beach cruiser (for smiling)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, I've just read that in the UK they're limited to 15.5mph. I wonder if I can make one that's faster than that.
Old 06-08-16, 07:05 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked 891 Times in 625 Posts
You can, but it's illegal. Be careful,...
Old 06-08-16, 07:51 AM
steve2k
Senior Mumbler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much "assistance" do you get and when you reach the limit of 15.5 mph what happens?

If I can get to 20mph on the flat (I usually pedal at about 14mph) and 15mph up the hills (I'm usually around 6 or 7) without getting too puffed out then I can probably get to work at an average of 20mph when you add in the down hill section. The traffic isn't too much of a problem on a bike - there are no lights on my route so I can filter past cars quite easily. The problem is that the whole area becomes gridlocked because most cars use the same entrance/exit to the area, so if you're in a car you can be stuck in a queues.
Old 06-08-16, 08:28 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
If motorcycle safety is a concern, I'd take a hard look at why you think riding an e-bike would be safer.. having ridden a motorcycle over the past 50 years and recently an e-bike that I ride 15+ miles a day over undulating hills easily at 20+ mph averages, in your shoes, get a capable 200cc or so motorbike .. faster, more comfortable, better braking, economical, ride with traffic as opposed to having them crowd you off of the road, spend less time on the road with cars so chances of accident could be reduced .. unless you need/want the exercise ( I do), I'd show your wife a cute little Honda 200 as opposed to a Kawasaki Ninja or Ducati Monster.. on road, I feel way safer on any of my motorcycles than I do on any bike, including my 30mph capable e-bikes ..
Old 06-08-16, 08:37 AM
steve2k
Senior Mumbler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceMetras
I feel way safer on any of my motorcycles than I do on any bike, including my 30mph capable e-bikes ..
Agreed, I loved my motorbike and felt very safe, safer than in the car thanks to the better visibility. However after my accident my wife is very anxious whenever I mention getting a new one. I like the exercise and fresh air of being on a bicycle, but for a couple of days a week I need to be faster. So I'm hoping an electric bike can help me average around 20mph for 20mins without getting too hot and bothered.
Old 06-08-16, 08:46 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
You are looking at an average speed of over 20mph. As others have said, considering traffic, that is near impossible with any legal e-bike. So, the answer is "no." As others have pointed out, to do what you want, you will need a small motorcycle; it might also be possible on a moped. An e-bike is, contrary to what some here say, not a motorcycle or a moped.
Old 06-08-16, 09:31 AM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Seven miles in 20 minutes?... Nope. My shortest route is 6.13 miles. My fastest time on my e-bike was 19:37. That was at 5:30 am, 85 percent of the ride on an MUP, hardly any traffic, and I hit the traffic signals just right. I've done the same route on my carbon fiber road bike in 21:47. The route into work is slightly downhill... I can actually hit speeds on the CF bike (30 mph) that are faster than the e-bike (23 mph... assistance cuts out at 20 mph) in several sections.

The route is a little longer (7.55 miles) for my scooter taking the city streets. Max speed on the scooter is about 37 mph (downhill.) I've never come in under 22 minutes with the scooter. It's about a 17 minute commute by car (if there is no traffic) that includes 4 miles of freeway.
Old 06-08-16, 09:41 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
15.5 mph seems ridiculously low. Any halfway fit person can ride in the high teens/ low twenties and sprint into the thirties. In your situation I would just build a bike that goes as fast and as far as I needed. I can't imagine ever getting busted for riding an illegal ebike as long as you aren't completely obnoxious about it. Of course I live in America and don't know anything about how that kind of thing would work in the UK.
Old 06-08-16, 10:28 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Sure, its no problem.

I have a 350 watt bike (36v, 10a). I cruise at about 25, and average 22.3 with normal commuting stops (lights, traffic, road crossings).

Takes me 20:46 to go 7.1 miles.

Your results may very.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tmp strava.JPG (39.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 06-08-16, 03:32 PM
awm72

Bikes: Trek Lift + 2018

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what did you use to create that graph? Is it an app on your phone?
Old 06-08-16, 03:38 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18452 Post(s)
Liked 4,562 Times in 3,389 Posts
Originally Posted by steve2k
I now need to try and do the journey in about 20 minutes because I have to drop my son at school at about 8:40 and be in a meeting at 9am.
Are you driving to school, driving back home, and then riding to work?

Is the school closer to work?

Your times sound a little tight, unless you drop the kid off early.

If the school is closer to work, perhaps ride a tandem.
Old 06-08-16, 04:07 PM
steve2k
Senior Mumbler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Is the school closer to work?
The school's about 1/2 mile away in the wrong direction.
Old 06-10-16, 12:26 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by awm72
what did you use to create that graph? Is it an app on your phone?
Strava. It has a new selection for e-bike rides (so I don't ruin all the lycra guys going for KOM).
Alternatively, I just use MapMyRide for ebike rides and Strava for traditional bike rides, just to keep the two separate.
Old 06-10-16, 05:08 PM
awm72

Bikes: Trek Lift + 2018

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Strava. It has a new selection for e-bike rides (so I don't ruin all the lycra guys going for KOM).
Alternatively, I just use MapMyRide for ebike rides and Strava for traditional bike rides, just to keep the two separate.
thank you. another app to run me ragged.
Old 06-10-16, 07:22 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Sure it's possible, but not on an E-Assist bike. A moped like E-Bike would certainly work.. Some can do 50 MPH and you don't need to pedal...
Old 06-18-16, 10:55 PM
Crazy_Lenny

Bikes: Stromer, BH, Haibike, BULLS, izip

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of our customers used to commute 30miles each way on his Stromer ST2 ebike.
https://www.strava.com/activities/351824480
I think it is definitely possible to commute 7 miles in 20 minutes if you use higher assist levels.
Old 06-19-16, 11:20 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy_Lenny
One of our customers used to commute 30miles each way on his Stromer ST2 ebike.
https://www.strava.com/activities/351824480
I think it is definitely possible to commute 7 miles in 20 minutes if you use higher assist levels.
I think it's definitely improbable. Averaging 21MPH is pretty hard on a legal E-assist bike... JMO
Old 06-19-16, 11:49 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by 350htrr
I think it's definitely improbable. Averaging 21MPH is pretty hard on a legal E-assist bike... JMO
+1 but for a different reason.

There's always lost time in any urban commute. A few minutes lost to red lights, backed up traffic, or simply to enter a busy intersection. Making up that lost time means needing to maintain much higher than average speed for the moving part of the trip. Of course, with a bike, one can maneuver around delayed traffic, and break a few laws, and maybe make the trip in 20 minutes, but not if the top speed of the bike is limited.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 06-19-16, 12:56 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
get a used Honda C90 .... they are becoming collectors items .... I own property in Athens and other parts of Greece and these are highly sought after ... cheap to run, and lots of power and prices for used ones keep on rising:

Old 06-19-16, 04:23 PM
Crazy_Lenny

Bikes: Stromer, BH, Haibike, BULLS, izip

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
+1 but for a different reason.

There's always lost time in any urban commute. A few minutes lost to red lights, backed up traffic, or simply to enter a busy intersection. Making up that lost time means needing to maintain much higher than average speed for the moving part of the trip. Of course, with a bike, one can maneuver around delayed traffic, and break a few laws, and maybe make the trip in 20 minutes, but not if the top speed of the bike is limited.
Here is a proof of commuting 20 miles within an hour.
He also mentioned why he doesn't use a scooter.

Old 06-19-16, 04:56 PM
FBinNY 

I never said it was impossible, just that it depended on traffic and lights because of the problem of making up lost time.

My daily commute used to be 6+ slightly hilly miles, and I routinely did it in 20 minutes without power assist. However, about half was on a single stretch of road without stops or lights, and I routinely regarded lights and stop signs as yields, so not much time was lost to intersections on the slower half.

Even then all it took to kill my time was some bad luck with lights and slightly heavier traffic, especially where I had to make lefts.

Also, keep in ind that a regular bike isn't subject to speed limitations, so I could fly when the opportunity arose.

For the record, the identical commute took longer by car unless I was very lucky with the lights. When driving, it was faster to do a longer route by parkways, except at rush hour when there was no way to beat the clock.

Old 06-19-16, 05:26 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I never said it was impossible, just that it depended on traffic and lights because of the problem of making up lost time....
Yes. His problem is that precise time frame, at the school at 8:40 and in a meeting at 9:00. His distance is only approximately 7 miles (which would be 21 mph) but he estimates it at 5 miles + 2.5 miles, which would be 22.5 mph.

It's also going to take time to park, lock up and walk in. It's looking to me like he needs closer to 24 mph, and like you said even one 90 second stop light makes him late. I'm getting skeptical that it's feasible on a daily basis.
@steve2k is the school too fascist to allow your son to be there at 8:35? Five minutes could make all the difference.
Old 06-22-16, 06:31 AM
chas58

Funny that you say it is improbable, or not doable on an e-assist bike.

Did you see my graph and proof above? 350 watts, 7 miles, 20 minutes, a typical part of my daily commute. My full commute is about 19 miles in 55 minutes.

And yeah, e-assist means I pedal too. ;-)

again, for those that don't read:
Takes me 20 minutes 46 seconds to go 7.1 miles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.