Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone like the Shimano RP9 Shoes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-16, 07:28 PM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts

My wife surprised me the other day with a new pair of Specialized Road Shoes that looked nice but were way too big (and I ride a Cannondale) so I returned them and chose the new Shimano RP9's from the catalog and they arrived three days later. The RP9's are an extremely good looking shoe with everything one could ask for with a firm carbon weave sole, air vents, moldable insole, arch inserts (if needed), and even a nice little Shimano tote bag in the box. They are a bit pricey but I believed at the time of purchase that it would be a good investment until I put them on. There's no other way to describe them other than dorky and they feel like they're too short (ankles) with pointy toes.

While discouraged I still decided to mount some new cleats and go for a spin only to be even more disappointed, the tongues felt like they were digging into my feet and I just didn't like what I was feeling so I took them off wiped them down and hope to return them. I say hope because I bought them from the same small lbs I bought some defective wheels from back in November and although the shop owner was gracious enough to refund me for the wheels I simply feel like a tool having to return something else I special ordered.

Anyone riding these and liking them or are they just a bad shoe? I have a pair of Serface Podiums I bought along with my road bike 3 years ago that were $59.00 and still feel great but are starting to show their age, thus the need for new shoes. Not sure what I'm looking to hear from the forum but I'm somewhat curious and very disappointed. I've also set a new purchasing rule for myself, if I can't try before I buy, then I simply don't do it!
Old 06-08-16, 08:21 PM
BoJaffa

Bikes: 2001 Trek 5900, Trek Madone 3.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a pair this spring and have been very happy so far. I went with wides and the fit is good for me. I like the minimalist appearance also. All black, not flashy. My shop was great and got a couple pairs in normal and wide for me to try. Good luck with your search.
Old 06-08-16, 08:23 PM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have the RP3's and love them. I had to get a 44E...they might tend to run a bit narrow, because a lot of people that have them have the wide.
Old 06-09-16, 04:47 AM
dvdslw

I was afraid that I would need a wide width because that seems to be the trend with Shimano shoes but they seem to be wide enough for me. Problem I have is that they feel too short around the ankles and the toes are pointed outward which makes them feel quite awkward on and off the bike. I knew better than to buy without trying them on first, it doesn't help they're a size 50 (us14), I've dealt with settling for odd looking shoes all my adult life.
Old 06-09-16, 05:07 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,565 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdslw
I was afraid that I would need a wide width because that seems to be the trend with Shimano shoes but they seem to be wide enough for me. Problem I have is that they feel too short around the ankles and the toes are pointed outward which makes them feel quite awkward on and off the bike. I knew better than to buy without trying them on first, it doesn't help they're a size 50 (us14), I've dealt with settling for odd looking shoes all my adult life.
Good luck with the try before buying gameplan... you're like me with size 14 boats; I have yet to come across an LBS that carries size 49s or 50s. If they did, they'd probably have this size available in maybe just one model. OTOH if you can swing it on carrying on the credit card for a month, ordering 2-3 pairs online with goal to 'free return' 1-2 of them is workable.

The strange bit is, that a size 14 road shoe, likely means one wears a 13 in a dress shoe. At basically any shoe store, for any model of dress shoe, a size 13 will be available. Not sure why the cycling shoe availability in the equiv 14 size is so scarce.
Old 06-09-16, 08:35 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Liked 480 Times in 362 Posts
Different kicks for different feets. They're not bad shoes, they just don't fit you right.

Shimano started changing their lasts 4 years ago, and last year they migrated their entire road line to one. For me this is the best ever--snug in the heel and midfoot, wider and taller in the toe box. It resembles Specialized, but a bit smaller and without the built-in varus wedge.

By the way, you can make almost any shoe fit better by using your favorite aftermarket insole or footbed.
Old 06-09-16, 03:08 PM
dvdslw

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Good luck with the try before buying gameplan... you're like me with size 14 boats; I have yet to come across an LBS that carries size 49s or 50s. If they did, they'd probably have this size available in maybe just one model. OTOH if you can swing it on carrying on the credit card for a month, ordering 2-3 pairs online with goal to 'free return' 1-2 of them is workable.

The strange bit is, that a size 14 road shoe, likely means one wears a 13 in a dress shoe. At basically any shoe store, for any model of dress shoe, a size 13 will be available. Not sure why the cycling shoe availability in the equiv 14 size is so scarce.
Biggest problem with the road shoes is that the sizes are all over the place where a Specialized 50 is a us 15.5, Shimano's 50 is a 14.2, LG's 50 is 13.5, etc... even the same brand will vary in fit between two different model shoes, just like jerseys where an xxl will either be just right or fit like a small. Kind of irritating to say the least. Thankfully I contacted the store this morning and they'll gladly accept my return. Now I'm back to square one.
Old 06-09-16, 04:38 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Why not get a new pair of the Serfas?

I've recently switched to the RP7. Has taken me a few rides to get used to the 'curved up' footbed at the front.
Very happy with them (44).
Finally found a shoe with a narrow enough heel and a wide enough front.

If Lake sorted out their heel issues, I would be all over the CX237.
Old 06-09-16, 04:43 PM
snidely
Cycliste sérieux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't feel bad returning the shoes. Shimano offers a 90-day satisfaction guarantee.
Old 06-10-16, 10:30 PM
Tubernator

Bikes: 2107 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought these, and trying to decide if I keep them. I really like the fit in the footbed (I got the wide version), and the size seems perfect. However, I am noticing that the strap comes up a little high and puts pressure on the top of my ankle as well...

Not a lot of wide options in higher end shoes, other than Sidi, which has no solid dealers in my area, at least that carry the Mega version.
Old 06-11-16, 05:20 AM
dvdslw

Originally Posted by Tubernator
I just bought these, and trying to decide if I keep them. I really like the fit in the footbed (I got the wide version), and the size seems perfect. However, I am noticing that the strap comes up a little high and puts pressure on the top of my ankle as well...

Not a lot of wide options in higher end shoes, other than Sidi, which has no solid dealers in my area, at least that carry the Mega version.
If you're unsure weather to keep them or not and have the option of returning them, do it. I say this because I've had a pair of shoes that were comfortable for three years with no hot spots, no digging into my ankles, and for a fraction of the price. So why settle for an expensive shoe that you're not happy with? The Sidi's are an awesome shoe, I was able to try on a pair at my local Performance Bike Store and probably what I'll end up getting. In your case, you can order online from them knowing its a hassle free return.
Old 06-11-16, 07:49 AM
LUW

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 / 2013 Caloi Carbon Elite 29er / 2015 Cannondale CAADX 105 / 2017 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdslw
My wife surprised me the other day with a new pair of Specialized Road Shoes that looked nice but were way too big (and I ride a Cannondale) so I returned them...

I'm so going to show this to my wife! It's been hard for her to grasp the concept that you should NOT wear something that is from another brand that not your bike.
And that's the problem of not riding a SPZ, since they have some pretty awesome stuff.
Old 06-11-16, 10:51 AM
Vinnems

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Is it just the RP7 that is available in wides? Because I like the RP5 but I need a wide version in my size.