Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for a new/used bike and need some advice

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-16, 06:53 PM
Embidd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've recently started biking to get into better shape, and initially I didn't really care what kind of bike I was riding just as long as it worked and I was comfortable, but now I'm looking for something a bit better.

Okay, so here's the skinny: I am currently riding a 26" Mongoose SR2 MTB that I got for a few bucks from my church flea market, it's a really nice bike (to me) but it just doesn't fit my needs. First off It's a mountain bike and I am only riding on the road, which means it can definitely be a pain to keep the bike rolling, if I'm not going downhill then I am having to constantly pedal just to keep it moving.

Second is the shocks. The bike has shocks on the front forks and under the seat, both of which seem to absorb some of the force that I apply to the pedals, and while that may or may not be the case pedaling this thing feels mushy and kind of "slow". I don't think this is a mechanical problem as I had the bike checked out recently at a bike shop and got a clean bill of health. The shocks on the front also make cornering a nightmare because with any force the shocks give, causing me to plant my feet to stop from falling over.

I'll be using this bike mainly on the road, either by myself or with the kids since it's summer break. If I had to specify my "biking level" I'd say I'm somewhere between a beginner/intermediate, and I'm about 6'3" and 280lbs.

So what I'm looking for is a bike that would be suited for the road, with a more solid frame, and can be used for a leisurely stroll with the kids and can stand up to something harsher should I want to push myself. It doesn't need to be a top of the line bike with tons of bells and whistles, I'm just looking for something used or new for around ~$300 USD. I know you guys can't tell me exact prices in my area but maybe you could point me in the direction of some good brands and some good advice while shopping for a used/new bike?

Thanks for reading all of that, I know it was a lot and probably ran on a bit too long . If you have any questions please, feel free to ask. Thanks again.
Old 06-28-16, 03:03 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,932 Times in 2,053 Posts
First--yes, the suspension on your mountain bike is eating up your energy, as are the fat tires.

Second--$300 is a little low for a new bike. Nashbar might sell some flatbar roadbikes for that price .... I should look (and I might, later.) (Okay, I did ... this looks like a good deal if you know your size, and if you get ti wrong, they have an unconditional return policy: https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...47_-1___204687)

Otherwise, you might have to get closer to $500 to get a new bike which will be worth the money (you can always get a Wal-Mart bike for less, but it will likely give you enough problems that after a while you won't enjoy riding and will start shopping for a better bike.)

The most important thing is fit. if ther bike is not the right size for you, you will suffer while riding and eventually stop riding because it isn't fun.

Buying a bike online is risky because you cannot test-ride it, but that is where the best deals can be found. Bike stores will charge a hundred/couple hundred more for the same bike, as a rule ... but at a bike store (if it is worthwhile) the staff will help you pick a bike that fits, and also do free tune-ups and stuff.

Buying used is great depending on how much you know about bikes. A lot of people think their bikes are worth a lot more than they are, and a lot of people will sell worn-out bikes and not bother to list all the problems. if you know your way around a bike, you can pretty much spot trouble areas. if not, you could get lucky or you could get burned.

Most used bikes you should figure on new cables ($10 or so) and new tires and tubes (maybe $40-$50) because tires will age whether used or not, and cables will rust and bind. You might not need them, but be ready to spend. Tubes ... whether you need them or not always have a couple. Flats happen.

For bikes from a classified ad site like Craigslist, you can post here and people can give you specific advice. it is impossible to say "This brand is good" or "This bike is good" because every brand makes some good bikes, but every bike is individual .... if it fits, what shape it is in, what accessories might be included, and what the seller is willing to sell can make or break any deal.

First and most important, find out what size frame you need (and this varies slightly with every frame, but you can figure a range.) Second, decide what kind of bike you really want and what kind of riding you really want.

You might want a bike with drop bars (the downward curled rams' horn handlebars) or you might want flat bars. The more miles you cover, the more comfortable drop bars can be---in general. As a slightly more than portly gentleman, i can say that if you are not able to bend over, drop bars can still work but flat bars are a sound option.

You might want more of a street hybrid--a bike with a more upright seating position and slightly wider tires which will absorb a little power but will also provide a more comfortable ride. You have to decide if you will want to put a rack on the bike---some bikes lack mounting points.

You have to decide if you will generally be tooling around the neighborhood or will want to cover some distance---an upright riding position is great for low speed but after a while you will get tired of pushing through the wind.

In any case, probably you will decide in a few years if your bike suits you ... as you get in a little better shape, ride a little more, and decide how well cycling fits your needs and predilections, you will figure out what kind of bike really suits you---maybe the one you have, or maybe you will want something slightly different.

I hate to give any more specific advice, but i will take a risk---you might be happiest with a flatbar road bike with wider tires (28-32 mm) and rack mounts for the first couple years. Normally I suggest drop bars, but because of your size (similar to mine) and because you don't seem to be wanting to go for fast 50-mile blasts every evening, leaning towards comfort seems to make sense.

Really you should go to your local bike shops and test-ride a few different styles---get an idea of what's out there and what suits you. Then come back here and we can all have a more focused discussion.

You don't mention weight loss, but I can attest that cycling can chip off pounds (slowly) even if you don't improve you diet, just because you can burn more calories playing and having fun. Not necessarily a goal, more of a pleasant by-product. The big plus to riding a bike is ... riding a bike.
Old 06-28-16, 11:37 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Liked 243 Times in 191 Posts
Used bike prices are all over the place. I just got back an early 1980s Nishiki Olympic bike that I had refurbished for a kid in my Scout Troop several years ago. The price tag from the second hand store where I originally bought it is still on it so I know I paid $25 for it. It's way outdated with 27" wheels, only 12 speeds, and downtube shifters but it served him well and with a few hours of cleaning and adjusting it will go to some other kid who can't afford the price of a new road bike. I'd rather see them riding an old, outdated bike than a BSO. Take the time to learn which components are at least adequate and then go looking. You obviously need a large frame given your height. Light bikes rarely have crap components. It is one way of separating the gems from the trash.
Old 06-28-16, 11:55 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Liked 1,543 Times in 807 Posts
@embidd,
Good for you for starting to ride. You're right, that Mongoose is both inefficient and (likely) much too small to fit you.

You didn't specify your city or locale. If you had, we could have scoured Craigslist for you and made some recommendations. $300 will get you a rideable bike.

I'm guessing that at Trek FX series hybrid would be good starting point for you. For 188 cm height, you're into Trek's 22.5" hybrid frame size. Start searching there for Trek 7.2, or 7.3 or 7.4, or 7.5 in the 22.5" size. Giant has an equivalent road hybrid, too.

For a road bike (Trek's chart), you'd be at a 61 cm modern frame, roughly. Older vintage road frames would have a 25"/63cm size that's roughly right for you.

Good luck. Phil
Old 06-28-16, 11:59 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,279 Times in 647 Posts
GO used

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/bik/5657558498.html

Old 06-28-16, 05:15 PM
Embidd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
First--yes, the suspension on your mountain bike is eating up your energy, as are the fat tires.

Second--$300 is a little low for a new bike. Nashbar might sell some flatbar roadbikes for that price .... I should look (and I might, later.) (Okay, I did ... this looks like a good deal if you know your size, and if you get ti wrong, they have an unconditional return policy: Nashbar Flat Bar Road Bike)

Otherwise, you might have to get closer to $500 to get a new bike which will be worth the money (you can always get a Wal-Mart bike for less, but it will likely give you enough problems that after a while you won't enjoy riding and will start shopping for a better bike.)

The most important thing is fit. if ther bike is not the right size for you, you will suffer while riding and eventually stop riding because it isn't fun.

Buying a bike online is risky because you cannot test-ride it, but that is where the best deals can be found. Bike stores will charge a hundred/couple hundred more for the same bike, as a rule ... but at a bike store (if it is worthwhile) the staff will help you pick a bike that fits, and also do free tune-ups and stuff.

Buying used is great depending on how much you know about bikes. A lot of people think their bikes are worth a lot more than they are, and a lot of people will sell worn-out bikes and not bother to list all the problems. if you know your way around a bike, you can pretty much spot trouble areas. if not, you could get lucky or you could get burned.

Most used bikes you should figure on new cables ($10 or so) and new tires and tubes (maybe $40-$50) because tires will age whether used or not, and cables will rust and bind. You might not need them, but be ready to spend. Tubes ... whether you need them or not always have a couple. Flats happen.

For bikes from a classified ad site like Craigslist, you can post here and people can give you specific advice. it is impossible to say "This brand is good" or "This bike is good" because every brand makes some good bikes, but every bike is individual .... if it fits, what shape it is in, what accessories might be included, and what the seller is willing to sell can make or break any deal.

First and most important, find out what size frame you need (and this varies slightly with every frame, but you can figure a range.) Second, decide what kind of bike you really want and what kind of riding you really want.

You might want a bike with drop bars (the downward curled rams' horn handlebars) or you might want flat bars. The more miles you cover, the more comfortable drop bars can be---in general. As a slightly more than portly gentleman, i can say that if you are not able to bend over, drop bars can still work but flat bars are a sound option.

You might want more of a street hybrid--a bike with a more upright seating position and slightly wider tires which will absorb a little power but will also provide a more comfortable ride. You have to decide if you will want to put a rack on the bike---some bikes lack mounting points.

You have to decide if you will generally be tooling around the neighborhood or will want to cover some distance---an upright riding position is great for low speed but after a while you will get tired of pushing through the wind.

In any case, probably you will decide in a few years if your bike suits you ... as you get in a little better shape, ride a little more, and decide how well cycling fits your needs and predilections, you will figure out what kind of bike really suits you---maybe the one you have, or maybe you will want something slightly different.

I hate to give any more specific advice, but i will take a risk---you might be happiest with a flatbar road bike with wider tires (28-32 mm) and rack mounts for the first couple years. Normally I suggest drop bars, but because of your size (similar to mine) and because you don't seem to be wanting to go for fast 50-mile blasts every evening, leaning towards comfort seems to make sense.

Really you should go to your local bike shops and test-ride a few different styles---get an idea of what's out there and what suits you. Then come back here and we can all have a more focused discussion.

You don't mention weight loss, but I can attest that cycling can chip off pounds (slowly) even if you don't improve you diet, just because you can burn more calories playing and having fun. Not necessarily a goal, more of a pleasant by-product. The big plus to riding a bike is ... riding a bike.
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Used bike prices are all over the place. I just got back an early 1980s Nishiki Olympic bike that I had refurbished for a kid in my Scout Troop several years ago. The price tag from the second hand store where I originally bought it is still on it so I know I paid $25 for it. It's way outdated with 27" wheels, only 12 speeds, and downtube shifters but it served him well and with a few hours of cleaning and adjusting it will go to some other kid who can't afford the price of a new road bike. I'd rather see them riding an old, outdated bike than a BSO. Take the time to learn which components are at least adequate and then go looking. You obviously need a large frame given your height. Light bikes rarely have crap components. It is one way of separating the gems from the trash.
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
@embidd,
Good for you for starting to ride. You're right, that Mongoose is both inefficient and (likely) much too small to fit you.

You didn't specify your city or locale. If you had, we could have scoured Craigslist for you and made some recommendations. $300 will get you a rideable bike.

I'm guessing that at Trek FX series hybrid would be good starting point for you. For 188 cm height, you're into Trek's 22.5" hybrid frame size. Start searching there for Trek 7.2, or 7.3 or 7.4, or 7.5 in the 22.5" size. Giant has an equivalent road hybrid, too.

For a road bike (Trek's chart), you'd be at a 61 cm modern frame, roughly. Older vintage road frames would have a 25"/63cm size that's roughly right for you.

Good luck. Phil

Someone above (10 Wheels) has given me a Craigslist ad in my area with a bike, what do you guys think? It looks great, and after watching some Youtube videos is seems to be a nice bike. My only concern is the width of the tires, I'm worried they may be too thin. Any thoughts? I'd appreciate it thanks.

Here's the link to the bike: https://baltimore.craigslist.org/bik/5657558498.html

Also, thank you guys so much for taking the time to reply to my post and thanks A LOT for the advice, it's sound advice that (if I choose to not go with the bike listed) will definitely help in finding a bike.

Edit: My location is Baltimore, MD. Anything within 10-20 miles from me would be great, thanks again guys

Last edited by Embidd; 06-28-16 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-28-16, 05:28 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With good advice from folks on this forum, you can get a more than decent 2nd hand road bike for $250-300. Post your location and folks will give you specific recommendations of used bikes to check out. Given your size, I'd suggest that $300 new bikes won't be very good for you. But don't despair - there are GREAT used bikes available in most markets for that sort of price.

That Jamis on the Baltimore Craigslist would be a good one to check out. The tires are probably not too narrow for the riding you'll be doing. But there are probably plenty of others. Don't be afraid of something 5-10 years old either. Many bikes were used a handful of times, and then hung up on the garage untouched for many years.

This is a better bike, and older, but it's a pure road bike, and would put you in a more aggressive riding position, that might or might not be comfortable for you.

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/bik/5655128300.html

Last edited by D1andonlyDman; 06-28-16 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-28-16, 07:25 PM
Embidd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
With good advice from folks on this forum, you can get a more than decent 2nd hand road bike for $250-300. Post your location and folks will give you specific recommendations of used bikes to check out. Given your size, I'd suggest that $300 new bikes won't be very good for you. But don't despair - there are GREAT used bikes available in most markets for that sort of price.

That Jamis on the Baltimore Craigslist would be a good one to check out. The tires are probably not too narrow for the riding you'll be doing. But there are probably plenty of others. Don't be afraid of something 5-10 years old either. Many bikes were used a handful of times, and then hung up on the garage untouched for many years.

This is a better bike, and older, but it's a pure road bike, and would put you in a more aggressive riding position, that might or might not be comfortable for you.

Cannondale equipped Shimano 105 12 speed
Thanks for the heads up, I'll edit my last post with my location. Also, thanks for the bike suggestion but I do think it may be a bit too aggressive of a riding position. Thanks though!
Old 06-28-16, 07:51 PM
TheGMan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Relative noob here who also got into cycling recently. It sounds to me like you would really want a hybrid for the type of riding you describe. I got 2 solid used hybrid Treks off CL for $180 each. $300 should buy a nice one.