Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Outdoor job and biking

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Outdoor job and biking

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-16, 08:36 PM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Outdoor job and biking

I am currently at a temp job for 3-4 more months, 8 hrs outdoors. Since I took the job I have pretty much lost interest in bicycles cause I spend so much time outdoors. Its like being indoors is a gift. Anyone feel the same or are there hardcore outdoor people here who are maybe a letter carrier, construction worker and than after work get on the bike. I now only ride if its really hot to cool off after the sun goes down.

I think its true that too much of a good thing wears you out. I could never work in a shop where my hobby is. I do not know if people in bicycle shops really want to on their day off look at a bicycle.

Last edited by 2702; 06-29-16 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-30-16, 04:51 AM
2 Piece

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work outside year round all day -sort of a letter carrier as you stated and still ride/ commute year round. The coldest for me has been 13 degree Fahrenheit and the hottest has been 103 degrees Fahrenheit, but I only have a 12 mile round trip commute.
Old 06-30-16, 08:41 PM
Phloom

Bikes: Too many to list here

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2702
I am currently at a temp job for 3-4 more months, 8 hrs outdoors. Since I took the job I have pretty much lost interest in bicycles cause I spend so much time outdoors. Its like being indoors is a gift. Anyone feel the same or are there hardcore outdoor people here who are maybe a letter carrier, construction worker and than after work get on the bike. I now only ride if its really hot to cool off after the sun goes down.

I think its true that too much of a good thing wears you out. I could never work in a shop where my hobby is. I do not know if people in bicycle shops really want to on their day off look at a bicycle.
You might have a point here. I work very deep in a 10 story Faraday cage. I can't even get a signal for my cell phone. Getting outside is a treat. I walk outside around the building twice a day plus commuting to and from on my bicycle. Going home on my bike is a real joy.
Old 07-01-16, 05:21 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 2702
When I worked at a bike shop I bike commuted to work most days and rode for fitness, exercise, etc. on my days off.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-01-16, 06:10 AM
Lt Stonez

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disc '14

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe you just lost the passion? Go quit your job and get back on the road :-)
Old 07-01-16, 06:56 AM
Rowan

Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I've worked outdoors for the past decade. For six of those years, I commuted to and from work on a bike, or rode to a nearby town just about every day to make phone calls. Then I'd ride at weekends, often randonnees.