Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Swap to flat bar or get use to the drop bars?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-16, 04:41 PM
TrailCat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I bought my first road bike last week, only because my cousin needed fast cash and I figured I got a better deal than her considering the condition of her bike.

Anyhow, after riding mtb and hybrids almost all my life I have been used to that style of bars.
These drop bars look ok, but after taking it out for play rides in the hood, I am feeling somewhat restricted on
how I steer, brake and change gears. The entire set up feels foreign to me. Bars are 380mm wide and seem too narrow to steer like I am use to.
The bike runs on Shimano 105, 2x10 with the integrated brake/gear levers. These too, are hard to get use to while on the saddle. It's even difficult to brake as I have to reach down low and twist my hand up to pull the brake, and my hands are too small to pull from the top. Is this what everyone does? I tried adjusting the angle but it hasn't helped much.

What do you all think? I should mention the bike is a 2014 Giant Avail, and kinda think I changing the set up may ruin the overall look on the fairly new bike. I don't want hard core roadies to look at me thinking I destroyed an already decent set up.

So, flat bar road shifters and (maybe bar end) brake levers on bullhorns (or flat bars) or do I need to suck it up and get used to riding a drop bar road bike?
Old 07-01-16, 04:44 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,279 Times in 647 Posts
suck it up new roady

Old 07-01-16, 05:09 PM
ltxi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
suck it up new roady
+...
Old 07-01-16, 09:11 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Liked 509 Times in 384 Posts
You'll probably spend more converting it to a flat bar than you probably paid for it.

If you're younger than 80, deal with it. It will grow on you.
Old 07-01-16, 11:42 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Liked 934 Times in 646 Posts
The narrower drop bar will probably take a bit of time to get fully used to. When I switch from my 440mm drop bar to a MTB straight bar I feel really stretched out - so much so that i converted my MTBs to drop bar bikes. It also make it easier to get them through doors.

Just give it some time.

Btw, if you can raise the bar a bit so that it's more like your MTB that might help the transition. If the stem is a quill stem just be sure you don't raise the stem past the minium insertion mark.

Enjoy the road bike.

Cheers
Old 07-02-16, 12:04 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Suck it up too!
Old 07-02-16, 05:59 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Out of curiosity, what is your height and what is the top tube measurement of the bike?
Old 07-02-16, 07:01 AM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also went most of my life with flat bars. I bought a bike with drops 4 years ago and very much like them. I do have bar end shifters and found them easy to use .
Old 07-02-16, 11:18 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 2,097 Times in 1,484 Posts
Those bars and shifters are supposed to look and be used like this:
Lovely Bicycle!: Drop Bar Hand Positions: an Introduction
Old 07-02-16, 06:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
They call a bike with narrow road wheels and flat bars a 'Fitness bike' .

a wider tire , a 'Hybrid' and really fat ones a 29er ..
Old 07-02-16, 10:02 PM
TrailCat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deapee
Out of curiosity, what is your height and what is the top tube measurement of the bike?
I am 1553mm tall (about 5 foot 2 I think) the bike is extra small and 880mm to top of top tube (the handlebars?) I adjusted the angle of the bars so the brakes are easier to reach, but they are almost pointing towards the saddle so I am not sure if this is the correct way but it makes riding a little more easier. I can rest my hands in the hooks and reach the brakes with my small hands.

So yep, I guess I will suck it up and learn to ride with the drops, until my mtb gets jealous, then i will take her out instead.
Old 07-02-16, 10:21 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 2,097 Times in 1,484 Posts
Originally Posted by TrailCat
I am 1553mm tall (about 5 foot 2 I think) the bike is extra small and 880mm to top of top tube (the handlebars?) I adjusted the angle of the bars so the brakes are easier to reach, but they are almost pointing towards the saddle so I am not sure if this is the correct way but it makes riding a little more easier. I can rest my hands in the hooks and reach the brakes with my small hands.

So yep, I guess I will suck it up and learn to ride with the drops, until my mtb gets jealous, then i will take her out instead.
If you would bother to click a link such as the one I posted, you might learn a lot. Or not.
Old 07-02-16, 11:17 PM
TrailCat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
If you would bother to click a link such as the one I posted, you might learn a lot. Or not.
Yes, already read the blog, it was helpful the day I got the bike. The comfiest spot I could rest my hands were in the hooks, but with the handlebars facing downwards so I could reach the brakes easier. Before adjusting the bars downwards, it was too difficult to crouch right down to reach the brake levers.
Old 07-03-16, 06:50 AM
AnthonyG

Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
I'm a short guy with small hands. I grew up with drop bars from about 13 years old so I'm used to them. I will say though that I DON'T brake from the hoods. I brake from the drops only unless its only gentle braking.

Give it time.

Anthony
Old 07-08-16, 09:40 PM
RiderNick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why 'get used to it'? There's no 'right' or 'wrong', if you like flat bars, go with them (like I did).

At 58, I'm probably older than many people here. With arthritis beginning to rear its ugly head, I'm just not comfortable riding bent over on drop bars, having a great view of the top of my front tire. I wanted a light, responsive road bike, most of my rides (around Portland OR) are 10-30 miles, and the more upright position of flat bars is more comfortable for me. I also wanted better visibility, and better braking control than reaching for the hood levers (with being able to pull more directly on the brake levers).

Last year when I was shopping for a new bike, I bought a Giant Defy Advanced 1. The bike shop where I bought it did a complete swap to flat bars. Net of the trade-in value of the old parts, the complete swap (flat bars, brake levers, shifters) cost less than $200.

I have no fantasies of pretending I'm going to ride in the Tour de France (or even doing centuries anymore), so the flat bar set up is infinitely more comfortable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rsz_giant_pic.jpg (92.5 KB, 83 views)
Old 07-09-16, 11:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Trekking/Butterfly handlebars are a simple swap for straight bars , since you Keep the control Levers you have.