Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bad Schrader valve?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bad Schrader valve?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-16, 12:15 PM
El Gato27

Bikes: '88 Peugot 12 spd road bike, Nishiki hybrid, JC Penney 10 spd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bad Schrader valve?

Recently picked up a used single speed at a garage sale. I replaced the tubes and got a flat because the rim tape was pretty crappy but I didn’t replace it. Replaced the rim tape, patched the flat and all was good for about a week. Woke up to a flat tire. Check for a pinched tube prior to removing, all good. Removed the tube and checked for leaks in a tub of water, no leaks. Rechecked, still no leaks. Inflated the tube some more and rechecked, very slowly, valve stem included, still no leaks on the tube.

I’ve heard of valves being bad, does this sound like a case where I have a bad valve? If so do I have to replace the tube or can valves be replaced/tightened?
Thank you.
Old 07-05-16, 12:39 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
Could be a loose or bad valve core. Tools and replacements can be found at car parts stores.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-05-16, 04:26 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Liked 1,095 Times in 725 Posts
It's probably not the valve core, they are very reliable unless loose which doesn't happen often either. Try putting the tube back into the tire, inflate it fully and try the water check again, including the valve.

You can get valve caps which have core tools built in, and a gasket to seal the tube even if the valve leaks. Like these: https://www.grainger.com/product/TRU-FLATE-Sltd-H-V-Cap-1EZF5?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/1EZF5_AS01?$smthumb$
Old 07-05-16, 07:59 PM
wschruba

Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a bad valve core be at fault in a Schrader valve (twice in 5 years: once in a suspension valve, and once in a [30 year old] tube). That said, it's going to run you almost as much to buy the pack of valve cores and removal tool as it would to change the tube.

Life is too short...
Old 07-05-16, 09:16 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Liked 55 Times in 45 Posts
I have had bad ones where either a foreign blob of some kind got stuck in the sealing surfaces or the sealing gasket fell apart. Almost everybody has an old tube sitting around with the valve still in it, so just snag one, or buy an overpriced blister pack of them at the local store. Dont forget the tool for removal/installation.

-SP
Old 07-05-16, 11:30 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A new tube costs about $5. You should buy one.
Old 07-06-16, 08:30 AM
El Gato27

Bikes: '88 Peugot 12 spd road bike, Nishiki hybrid, JC Penney 10 spd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, I might use a new tube, not very expensive. Would just like to know what is wrong. I reinstalled the tube yesterday and rode around for ~30 minutes w/o any issues. Tire was fine this morning, I did not put the valve caps back on. Any more issues and I go buy a new tube. Just though some one else might have seen this problem. Thanks for all the inputs.
Old 07-06-16, 08:48 AM
ExpertTools

Bikes: 2013 Specialized S-Works Roubaix, 1980 Colnago, Litespeed Ocoee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep in mind that you can only inflate a tube by itself a little bit, and when mounted, you can go to a much higher pressure. It may take that higher pressure to cause the leak.

Another tip, is that water by itself is not the best to see a leak. What you need is soapy water. You can mix a small amount of dish soap into a spray bottle full of water, and that will work much better than plain water at finding a leak. Another option that works very well if you're too lazy to mix up a bottle, is to just spray Windex.
Old 07-06-16, 02:05 PM
miamijim

Liked 112 Times in 80 Posts
Pump it up to full pressure and put some spit on the valve core. It'll bubble up if its bad. If you have a removal tool, and the core is leaking, remove it, drip a drop or chain lube on it and re-install. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

FWIW I've seen a lot of bad loose cores in my time.
Old 07-06-16, 02:52 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by El Gato27
Yes, I might use a new tube, not very expensive. Would just like to know what is wrong.
Replace the tube, then take the old one out back and run the lawn mower over it 5-6 times. It will be obvious what's wrong after that.

Actually, my last 3-days-to-flat-with-no-leak-I-could-find tube is currently tied to a post in the garage as a resistance band for morning stretching.
Old 07-06-16, 10:30 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Liked 929 Times in 642 Posts
I've had the odd tube with a pinhole so small that I could ride the tire for nearly a day before the pessure dropped too much. Turned outthat in order to find that pinhole I had to really pump the tube up and when placed under water i had to wipe any bubbles off in order to finally find the leak that was VERY SLOWLY making a new bubble.

A tiny pin hole can be cause by a protruding spoke of in a single wall rim, a piece of grit in the rim or under the tire or it can be a burr on the inside of the rim.

Good luck and cheers