Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thule 561 fork mount carrier adapted for Tandem usage

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-16, 12:25 PM
barkersoldbean

Bikes: Canyon Dura ace, Pinarello Asolo Super Record, Holdsworth Nuovo Record, Duratec Di2 Tandem, Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I thought some folks might be interested in this.

We recently replaced our S&S coupled IBIS (~23kg) with a new Tandem (Duratec, Di2, ~13kg) - but now uncoupled.

Historically, I used to transport the IBIS uncoupled using 2 X Thule 561 fork mounted carriers and a bit of custom engineering to mount the rear half facing forwards (custom clamp/fork mount and brace).

Not wanting to throw away the Thule 561 carriers and reluctant to shell out on a new tandem specific carrier (ugly as well) I had a go at adapting the Thule 561 to take the new tandem.

Some pics for you to peruse of a prototype - essentially I have made a mount for the captain bottom bracket shell (rubber lined) and the rear end of the boom tube (rubber lined), with a diagonal brace (rubber lined). Made from bits of oak/aluminium I found in my workshop - primarily to see if it functioned before making a "proper" version.

Just finished a 200 mile trip from Chester to Pembrokeshire along very twisty roads at 60-90mph. Solid as a rock.

I plan to do a "proper" fabrication job using machined aluminium/ABS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2191.jpg (20.5 KB, 44 views)
IMG_2192.jpg (20.9 KB, 43 views)
IMG_2194.jpg (21.0 KB, 43 views)
IMG_2195.jpg (19.8 KB, 43 views)
IMG_2196.jpg (20.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 07-18-16, 07:12 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 383 Posts
Personally, I'd get a proper tandem attachment.

You've got a lot of money in that car and bike. $300 for a tandem attachment is comparatively cheap.

The rocky mounts tandem attachment (euro mount version) will work with your rack, adapt to a single or tandem bike, make mounting the bike easier with the rotating fork mount, and imho look a lot better