Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

how long do you ride without stopping?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-16, 11:33 PM
Liz33

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

I'm trying to see how long I can ride without stopping. It's just for fun. I haven't been able to figure it out yet because I've been forced to stopped few times for a minute or so to look at the map not to get lost lol and it's incredible how much strength I get back from a little stop like that, so I can't count those rides in figuring out how long I went without stopping. I think next time I'll know my trail well enough to not have to stop. Anyway, I was just curious about how long good cyclists ride without stopping. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-21-16, 01:12 AM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I imagine if you didnt need to stop for anything (stretching, bathroom, traffic, etc), it could often be the entire ride.
I can ride my entire 22 mile path without stopping for anything. If I did longer rides, I could probably do those without stopping, assuming nothing unexpected came up. I like taking pictures when im out on certain routes though so ill stop quite a bit. On the 22 mile one, there is nothing but a highway and trees next to me so i dont bother with that lol
Old 07-21-16, 03:43 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Liked 890 Times in 540 Posts
SW FL lends itself to non-stop riding very nicely. A NO TOUCH ride is of particular enjoyment for myself and I do them often. My No Touch rides range from 56 miles to 112 miles. Proper fueling/hydration prior to and during the ride is very important if one wants to finish strong. Once I get on the bike I do not touch the ground until the distance is completed.
Old 07-21-16, 04:09 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 601 Times in 332 Posts
One day I'd like to ride a full century (160 km/100 miles) without setting a foot on the ground.

But meanwhile, I think the longest I've gone is about 50 km.
Old 07-21-16, 04:27 AM
bboti

Bikes: FOCUS BLACK RAIDER 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a MTB and the problem is always with the uncomfortable seat.
I think I cannot ride more than 20 km (~12 miles) without taking an "ass rest"
Old 07-21-16, 04:45 AM
prj71

Liked 1,275 Times in 830 Posts
Originally Posted by bboti
Get a Specialized Power Seat. You may need a wider width than what's normally put on MTBs. I have a 155mm wide seat.
Old 07-21-16, 05:31 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
This year it has my longest ride has been 30 miles and was ridden without stopping, water and food breaks are taken on the bike while coasting or slower pedaling.

Last edited by cyclist2000; 07-21-16 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-21-16, 05:46 AM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I stop once in an hour or so. Usually for a smoke break
Old 07-21-16, 05:58 AM
dougmon 
Fred For Life

Bikes: Kona Big Rove AL, Surly Straggler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a new cyclist; I've been riding since February. The longest I've gone without stopping is 16 miles.
Old 07-21-16, 06:14 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I used to ride without stopping...about 20 miles or so, but it's so hot that I either take a break at my turn-around point or if I pass a nice pavilion or something. Just 5 minutes or so to catch some shade, take off the helmet, whatever. Normally churches or parks...for some reason I can't resist going into the pavilions and resting in the shade for a few...something peaceful about being out somewhere that you traveled to solely by your own power.
Old 07-21-16, 06:18 AM
mongol777

Bikes: are all mine

Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet
I stop once in an hour or so. Usually for a smoke break

When I was smoking I used to smoke while riding :-) The only challenge was to gracefully butt out while moving and dispose of the butt into trash bag (usually jersey pocket)

Now it is way easier - I can vape on the go, no lighter or trashcan required. My lungs feel it too - like brand new set!
Old 07-21-16, 06:22 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Liked 1,057 Times in 636 Posts
It is impossible not to stop when riding in town. Probably my long ride without stopping was riding from one sag stop to another during a club ride. That would be 15 to 20 miles.
Old 07-21-16, 07:19 AM
indyfabz

Liked 17,451 Times in 8,154 Posts
I once did the Kessel ride in under 12 parsecs.
Old 07-21-16, 07:40 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 757 Times in 465 Posts
If you don't count a couple of stop signs, I've done 107 miles non-stop. I rarely ride more than 40 miles without some sort of break, though.
Old 07-21-16, 07:58 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Liked 2,866 Times in 1,030 Posts
I have to ride at least 5 mi to get to a path where you don't have to stop. The 5 mi includes lights and stop signs every half mile.

The path mentioned, the Arizona Canal Path, will let you go maybe 20 mi or more without stopping. Never tried it.
Old 07-21-16, 08:42 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Liked 2,814 Times in 1,808 Posts
I usually stop every 5 or 10 miles for a short rest, or to check the map, stretch my back and neck, etc.

Last year when I first resumed cycling after a long break I had to stop every mile. It might take 5-15 minutes to recover from asthma attacks. Then I made up to 3 miles between breaks and the rest stops got shorter.

This year I've done a few 20something mile rides without stopping. I don't set any goals about that sort of thing. I just go by how I feel that day.
Old 07-21-16, 09:04 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,169 Times in 1,332 Posts
I usually want a break every 25-30 miles, even if I'm situated with food and water so that I don't have to stop.
Old 07-21-16, 09:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
In this Film, The Cyclist Bicycleran (1987) - IMDb

the heroic Main character rode non stop for a week, in a small circle.

You watched any TdF? every day for the most part they do 100+ miles , except the time trial days.

./.

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-21-16 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-21-16, 09:43 AM
Liz33

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
That's nice to know. Thank you for sharing. I know I could do more or less 16 miles without stopping so far, but I like to stop around mile 10 for a good break because after mile 10 I have two little hills that for me are huge and leave me so tired ! I want to be able to ride 20 miles without stop
Old 07-21-16, 09:59 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I can do 50, on the way out. But on the way back, it's much shorter. And I agree, just getting out of the saddle for a few minutes can make a big difference.

Old 07-21-16, 10:11 AM
PepeM

Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Usually not very long, since red lights and stop signs get in the way. The longest I have gone without stopping was a 60 mile road race.
Old 07-21-16, 10:12 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,931 Times in 1,162 Posts
Ride distance without stopping is no measure of a good cyclist. It *might* tell you who's a poor cyclist if they have to stop because they're too fatigued to continue, but a cyclist choosing to stop changes things.

I routinely ride solo 35-40+ miles without stopping, but just as routinely stop on similar distances, particularly when riding with my club when we're doing particular exercises. A solo, fairly steady pace ride is a different level of intensity than doing sprint or leadout exercises, and so how you parcel out the energy is completely different. In cycling, intensity is everything.

So, just because someone stops, it does not necessarily say anything about what they're capable of doing.
Old 07-21-16, 10:13 AM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bboti
Easy to change out a seat so there is no reason for this.

You might also want to check with a decent shop to make sure yours is adjusted properly...
Old 07-21-16, 11:26 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Liz33
That's nice to know. Thank you for sharing. I know I could do more or less 16 miles without stopping so far, but I like to stop around mile 10 for a good break because after mile 10 I have two little hills that for me are huge and leave me so tired ! I want to be able to ride 20 miles without stop
You've come a long way since you weren't sure if you could do 5miles. Excellent.

By "not stopping" I'm assuming you don't count stopping at traffic lights or stop signs. The longest I can remember was 45km to a friend's place which took me 3 hours. I had to stop about 3/4's way because I got lost and had to check the map. The main road that I was on was taking me to an elevated freeway and there didn't seem to be any sidewalks or pedestrian crosswalks if I had proceeded. So I had to backtrack a bit to look for a detour.
Old 07-21-16, 11:37 AM
Liz33

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Ride distance without stopping is no measure of a good cyclist. It *might* tell you who's a poor cyclist if they have to stop because they're too fatigued to continue, but a cyclist choosing to stop changes things.

I routinely ride solo 35-40+ miles without stopping, but just as routinely stop on similar distances, particularly when riding with my club when we're doing particular exercises. A solo, fairly steady pace ride is a different level of intensity than doing sprint or leadout exercises, and so how you parcel out the energy is completely different. In cycling, intensity is everything.

So, just because someone stops, it does not necessarily say anything about what they're capable of doing.
Mhm, I agree with you, but I confess, I am Judging myself lol because when I started riding 17 days ago, I couldn't get to the second mile without stopping feeling exhausted and ready to call the paramedics lol, and that was on flat land. The same 16 miles or so I can do now without stop are mostly flat, with few hills but I have some long down hills too so I get my good rest, if I were to do the same trail in the different direction I wouldn't be able to get very far without a necessary stop to gather my strength. That's going to be one of my next goals for the future. Anyway, I know what you mean and I agree with you totally, I'm just having a lot of fun discovering these little things about cycling and seeing my own progress. I was also thinking I would like to be able to do 20 miles without having to stop, so that if I chose to stop to take a picture or stretch or whatever is more fun than having to stop because I'm too tired. Just like you said. It's a difference.

Anyway, I like reading all your answers and seeing how everyone is different, how circumstances affects each biker, etc. I'm not sure how to explain it but it's educational for me. For example, I was under the idea that most good cyclists would go out and ride a lot of miles without stopping, I'm not sure why I thought that. Now I'm learning how many of you actually enjoy making a quick stop, etc. And I feel normal lol So thanks everyone for your answers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.