Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike Fitting Services?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike Fitting Services?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-16, 02:33 PM
Fly2High

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike Fitting Services?

BF gang,
Thinking of finally getting a bike fitting but I am not sure which one to get?
What constitutes a good fitting service?
What is done?
How long should it take? How long did it take for you?
Did you need to go back for adjustments?
Were return visits covered?

Some local shops use GURU and RETUL. Either better than the other? Is there a better one still?

Finally, if you live on Long Island, who have you used and where would you recommend (prefer Nassau or Western Suffolk County)?

thanks

Last edited by Fly2High; 07-22-16 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-22-16, 02:47 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
It is way more about the person doing the fitting than the method used.
Old 07-22-16, 02:51 PM
PepeM

I would say a good fitting service is one where you end up with a setup that works for your goals.

What is done is first to determine what those goals are. Then take some measurements (this is where the methods differ mostly) and finally do the necessary adjustments.

I think it should take as long as it has to. I guess the more 'unusual' you are the longer it'll take. Mine took about fifty minutes.

I have been back for adjustments three times if I recall correctly. One to lower the bars a bit more, the other two when I changed equipment (saddle, pedals, cranks.)

Return visits were not explicitly covered but he didn't charge me for those.
Old 07-22-16, 03:07 PM
Fly2High

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PepeM
It is way more about the person doing the fitting than the method used.
That is what I would expect which is why I ask for references !!

I looked at the local shops and most, if not all seem to offer the service. One shop had online booking of a fitting. Is it unusual for fitting to only be done on weekdays? Not sure I know who would do a better job which is why I hope some Long Islanders might indicate here.
Old 07-22-16, 03:19 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,496 Posts
Ask local bike club members, local racers, and LBS that don't sell fitting services themselves. The good ones quickly get known through word of mouth.

One of the best in the country is in Annapolis. If you are down that way, it's worth the visit. He uses both Guru and Retul together.
Old 07-22-16, 03:26 PM
PepeM

That's the best way. Another good sign is if a shop has someone who is a fitter. As in, that's all he or she does. That's better than having one of the sales people who also happens to have some sort of certificate.
Old 07-22-16, 04:38 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
That's better than having one of the sales people who also happens to have some sort of certificate.
I'm one of those sales guys that has a certificate.

We offer a basic 4-point fit with a bike purchase. It's free of charge, doesn't require an appointment and it's designed to get you situated and comfortable. We partner with a guy who does them full-time with all the fancy equipment (motion capture, Retul, Guru, saddle pressure mapping, etc.).

We encourage people to bring their shoes, pedals, bibs, heck even their gloves and helmet.

I use the Holmes method alongside a Goniometer and put the saddle height between 25-30 degrees based on rider comfort, I'd say for 90% of the people I fit it's around 28 degrees. But ultimately it's up to the rider. So many people have their saddle height too low so it naturally feels uncomfortable for them.

We use a plumb bob for the saddle setback and follow KOPS.

We check reach and drop, mostly to ensure the bars are not too low. I'd say 75% of our fits are for people not very flexible and we're raising the bars. But occasionally we lower them. Same with stem length, the factory stem length for the frame size covers most everyone. Typically we'll have to pull out a longer stem for the super tall guys.

There's also the accessory fit. A lot of people with clipless pedals have the cleats too far forward/back or at weird angles giving them knee pain. Some people wear their helmets too loose, they droop and they crane their necks to see, so we'll look at that as well.

Of the 36 fits I've done this year (I work PT at the shop), 29 were for people who just bought their first "serious road bike."

Ultimately my approach and that of my colleagues is to ensure the bike fits reasonably well. I don't expect my fit to be on the same level as someone who charges you $300 and takes 2 hours. I'm in and out in under 20 minutes. But I also don't want someone who's all excited to enjoy their brand new road bike to hurt themselves or be miserable because they're uncomfortable.

Last edited by softreset; 07-22-16 at 05:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-22-16, 04:48 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by softreset
I'm one of those sales guys that has a certificate.

We offer a basic 4-point fit with a bike purchase. It's free of charge, doesn't require an appointment and it's designed to get you situated and comfortable. We partner with a guy who does them full-time with all the fancy equipment (motion capture, Retul, Guru, saddle pressure mapping, etc.).

We encourage people to bring their shoes, pedals, bibs, heck even their gloves and helmet.

I use the Holmes method alongside a Goniometer and put the saddle height between 25-30 degrees based on rider comfort, I'd say for 90% of the people I fit it's around 28 degrees. But ultimately it's up to the rider. So many people have their saddle height too low so it naturally feels uncomfortable for them.

We use a plumb bob for the saddle setback and follow KOPS.

We check reach and drop, mostly to ensure the bars are not too low. I'd say 75% of our fits are for people not very flexible and we're raising the bars. But occasionally we lower them. Same with stem length, the factory stem length for the frame size covers most everyone. Typically we'll have to pull out a longer stem for the super tall guys.

There's also the accessory fit. A lot of people with clipless pedals have the cleats too far forward/back or at weird angles giving them knee pain. Some people where their helmets too loose, they droop and they crane their necks to see, so we'll look at that as well.

Of the 36 fits I've done this year (I work PT at the shop), 29 were for people who just bought their first "serious road bike."

Ultimately my approach and that of my colleagues is to ensure the bike fits reasonably well. I don't expect my fit to be on the same level as someone who charges you $300 and takes 2 hours. I'm in and out in under 20 minutes. But I also don't want someone who's all excited to enjoy their brand new road bike to hurt themselves or be miserable because they're uncomfortable.

Like!
Old 07-22-16, 04:56 PM
PepeM

That sounds exactly like the shop I bought my bike from. A basic fit was included, and it followed pretty much what you just described. I think it is a great starting point and I did not mean to disparage guys like you (that's one of the main reasons I bought from that shop in the first place.) There are some shops that sell Retul or some other method fits, but don't really have a full time fitter, so what I was trying to get at is that if someone can do fits and only fits as a full time job, he is more likely to be good at it than someone who does it on the side. Won't always be the case, which is why asking around will always be the best way to find out who's who, but if you have nothing else to go on, that could be one thing to look for.

Another thing: Make sure you talk on the phone with the fitter. Say you're considering a fit and see what he has to say. You might get a good feel of whether he is serious about what he does or whether he is just trying to sway you into the more expensive services.
Old 07-22-16, 04:59 PM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
^^^+1 softreset! Me like too!!!
Old 07-22-16, 05:11 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
and I did not mean to disparage guys like you (that's one of the main reasons I bought from that shop in the first place.)
Oh I know. Sorry if it sounded like I was trying to contradict you and defend myself.

I think there's a lot of 'snake oil' in the fitter world. There are people who charge a lot of money and don't do much and then there are people who do exceptional jobs and really take the time to understand you as a rider and a person.

I think the biggest problem, that I've encountered in chatting with people (post fit) is that some people have a system and they just apply the template to everyone who walks through the door.

I'm a bigger dude, I don't look anything like a "Tour De France" guy. Ironically as PT'er I probably ride than a lot of guys who work full time at the shop. Ha!

So a fit for me is going to be completely different than a dude who wants to size down, run a 130mm stem on a 54 frame and -17 stem with no spacers.