Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Had my first crash this weekend.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-16, 11:32 AM
Bad_request

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So,a little back story. A few weeks ago, I replaced the chain on my Trek 1500 as it was starting to show signs or wear. I cut the new chain to length, but after installing noticed it was a few links short. I stupidly lengthened the chain using one of the pins I had pressed out. This was my first time replacing a chain and assumed it would be fine, this is a KMC chain by the way.

So about two weeks later, I'm riding home from a 30 mile ride and get stoped by a red light at a busy intersection. The light turns green and I hammer away. About halfway through the intersection, I hear a loud snap and that was it. My left foot was at the bottom of the stroke and my pedal smacked the asphalt causing me to loose my balance. Tried for a second to recover and the next thing I know I'm sliding through intersection on my side, with cars in front and behind me. After I finish my slide, I stand right up and carry my bike to the side of the road.

First thing I do is assess my condition. Noticed I'm bleeding pretty bad from my left knee and arm and have a throbbing pain in my lower left rib cage. Took off my helmet and no scratches or cracks, so I didn't hit my head thankfully. No way I can finish my ride so I called my girlfriend to pick me up. Get home and clean up the scrapes, and that's when I noticed that my lower left chest is bruised pretty badly and that it's hurting to breath. Figure I should go to the hospital just to be safe. Sure enough I have a fractured rib. Guess when my chain broke my chest slammed into the bars. So looks like I won't be riding for a few weeks, but I sure am enjoying the pain killers

Anyhow, no real point to this post, just felt like sharing my story. Oh and never reuse chain pins haha
Old 08-03-16, 11:39 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,255 Times in 631 Posts
Rest up for the next one...

Old 08-03-16, 11:41 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Liked 1,661 Times in 839 Posts
Get all that crashing done while you are young. Us old guys don't crash and heal as well as we used to.
Old 08-03-16, 11:46 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Full sprint trying to clear a busy intersection.

My Left crank fell off with 8 cars behind me.

Old 08-03-16, 11:49 AM
FullGas

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
my personal stats show that I go down hard enough to need medical attention about once every 13 years.
Old 08-03-16, 12:07 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
There's only two kinds of riders, those who've fallen and those who are gonna fall. Debatable who originally said that, but never truer words.
Just curious, initially were you more embarrassed than hurt?
When you have a cracked rib, it hurts to laugh,sneeze,cough,yell, breathe and move.
Wishing you a speedy recovery and don't watch any comedys.
Old 08-03-16, 12:25 PM
Bad_request

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
There's only two kinds of riders, those who've fallen and those who are gonna fall. Debatable who originally said that, but never truer words.
Just curious, initially were you more embarrassed than hurt?
When you have a cracked rib, it hurts to laugh,sneeze,cough,yell, breathe and move.
Wishing you a speedy recovery and don't watch any comedys.

First thing I did when I stood up was look around to see if anyone stopped. No one did, and I was honestly thankful of that haha. So yeah, definitely more embarrassing than painful. Really didn't start to hurt until I called my girlfriend and was waiting for her. Once the adrenaline wore off I was aching pretty bad
Old 08-03-16, 12:27 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Young lady driving the car behind me stopped and protected me from the ones behind her.

Old 08-03-16, 12:45 PM
KenshiBiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad_request
My left foot was at the bottom of the stroke and my pedal smacked the asphalt causing me to loose my balance.

I feel your pain; hope you heal and recover quickly. Only thing that's confusing to me is why breaking your chain would cause you pedal to hit the asphalt.
Old 08-03-16, 12:52 PM
amusingbikes
Safety First

Bikes: '90 GT Performer, OPUS DS1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like some pretty nasty cuts. I've fallen off bikes so many times I can't count anymore. My knee hurt pretty bad after a similar accident to yours.
Old 08-03-16, 12:53 PM
Bad_request

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KenshiBiker
I feel your pain; hope you heal and recover quickly. Only thing that's confusing to me is why breaking your chain would cause you pedal to hit the asphalt.
I was standing out of my saddle when the chain snapped. Don't remember the series of events exactly, but I guess when it snapped, my chest came down and smacked the bars, and tilted the bike to the left and that's when my pedal hit the ground.
Old 08-03-16, 01:21 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,611 Times in 2,359 Posts
enjoying the pain killers
glad you lived to tell the story. sorry about your injuries. wut did they give you? don't they cause constipation? just asking cuz I had a tooth pulled & tried a cpl Tylenol w codeine pills. not much of any fun & no I'm trying to get back my regularity. TMI? sorry
Old 08-03-16, 01:21 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I only use sram chains with a qr link. No shimano with pins. After breaking 3 shimano chains mt biking, no issues since only using sram. YRMV.
Old 08-03-16, 01:29 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
First thing I did when I stood up was look around to see if anyone stopped. No one did..
I guess I can understand your feelings about no one stopping, but how sad those motorists saw a cyclist go down and none stopped to aid.
Old 08-03-16, 01:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
1st time I was on my JC Higgins 3 speed, back in the 50's, a Tree was how I stopped, at the end of the block .
Old 08-03-16, 01:50 PM
Laurido92

Bikes: 2019 Pinarello Prince FX 2021 Pinarello Prince Disk Canyon Grizl CF SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get well soon!!
Old 08-03-16, 01:59 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Liked 1,702 Times in 840 Posts
A speedy recovery!
Old 08-03-16, 02:02 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I was in my 60's when I cracked my ribs.

I had dropped a wet-sweaty water bottle (on a hot day) while trying to replace it in the bottle holder. Hit my head good! But the helmet did it's job.

I was really lucky. I have good insurance and the damage to my bicycle was superficial. I hope your bike is OK. I took 3 weeks to heal. I rode again at two weeks.... but it wasn't a good idea. Four weeks tops... and you be as good as new.

Cycling is a blood sport. Injuries will happen. Heal quickly!
Old 08-03-16, 03:21 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I cut the new chain to length, but after installing noticed it was a few links short.
A few links short of a chain. I think I just found a new euphemism.
Old 08-03-16, 03:32 PM
Bad_request

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the kind words! Imagine I should be good to go in the next few weeks! Thankfully none of the injuries were serious.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
glad you lived to tell the story. sorry about your injuries. wut did they give you? don't they cause constipation? just asking cuz I had a tooth pulled & tried a cpl Tylenol w codeine pills. not much of any fun & no I'm trying to get back my regularity. TMI? sorry
I was prescribed percocet for the pain. They do indeed constipate me. Don't think I've had a bowel movement since I've been taking them lol. I've had them in the past and constipation has always been a side affect. Taking laxatives helps a lot though. Need to see if I have any lying around now that I think of it.
Old 08-03-16, 03:56 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,710 Times in 1,954 Posts
Problem with cyclists is that when they crash they often jump right up again and try to ride on. Thus, drivers think that there is no need to stop. We need to learn to lay on the hard pavement in traffic and moan a little to garner some sympathy.

After my last crash (cracked collarbone) I did the "Jump up and act like everything is fine" routine ... which I swear by, because the alternative is lying in traffic hoping the cars do stop---and the lady driving right behind did stop and ask if I was okay. of course I said i was fine---how awkward to have to admit that I had just hurt myself and needed a ride----but only if she could fit the bike as well.

I rode home and spent the next few days laying on the floor---no painkillers, What an idiot.

I have never had cracked ribs and I am really glad for that. Hope everything heals quickly.
Old 08-03-16, 03:58 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Best to get out and away from the road or street.

Old 08-03-16, 04:38 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Liked 807 Times in 514 Posts
First thing I did when I stood up was look around to see if anyone stopped. No one did, and I was honestly thankful of that haha. So yeah, definitely more embarrassing than painful. Really didn't start to hurt until I called my girlfriend and was waiting for her. Once the adrenaline wore off I was aching pretty bad
No need to be embarrassed unless you had a TOMBAY. Going down while moving is par for the course.

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
...........Cycling is a blood sport.............
Ping Pong is a sport for the faint of heart individual.

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
A few links short of a chain. I think I just found a new euphemism.
A few links short of a chain is better than being one brick shy of a load.

............I was prescribed percocet for the pain. They do indeed constipate me. Don't think I've had a bowel movement since I've been taking them lol. I've had them in the past and constipation has always been a side affect. Taking laxatives helps a lot though. Need to see if I have any lying around now that I think of it.
Relistor for OIC....Opioid Indused Constipation https://www.salix.com/products/relistor

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Problem with cyclists is that when they crash they often jump right up again and try to ride on. Thus, drivers think that there is no need to stop. We need to learn to lay on the hard pavement in traffic and moan a little to garner some sympathy.

After my last crash (cracked collarbone) I did the "Jump up and act like everything is fine" routine ... which I swear by, because the alternative is lying in traffic hoping the cars do stop---and the lady driving right behind did stop and ask if I was okay. of course I said i was fine---how awkward to have to admit that I had just hurt myself and needed a ride----but only if she could fit the bike as well.

I rode home and spent the next few days laying on the floor---no painkillers, What an idiot.

I have never had cracked ribs and I am really glad for that. Hope everything heals quickly.
My last crash resulted in 2 resounding cracking noises upon landing. I remained motionless, gathered my composure, checked for finger movement and then toe movement. Waited for EMS, neck brace, stretcher, trip to ER, all scans and a neurosurgeon having instructed me that neck brace 24/7 for next 16 weeks should allow healing and prevent paralysis. C6 and right clavicle were the cracking sounds.

Stay vertical and heal rapidly.
Old 08-03-16, 05:02 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Get home and clean up the scrapes, and that's when I noticed that my lower left chest is bruised pretty badly and that it's hurting to breath. Figure I should go to the hospital just to be safe. Sure enough I have a fractured rib.
I'm just getting over two cracked ribs, not broken but cracked. They hurt like hell when I try to get out of bed or breath but even more if I cough or God help me, sneeze.

While I am sorry to hear of your accident and injuries, my advice is to keep busy and walk fast until you can get back on the bike. Don't be afraid to push you limits. Doing so will help you maintain as much fitness as possible, making a comeback a bit easier. I lost a month of real riding and I'm working hard to get my endurance and fitness back.

Do not rest and relax too much as pneumonia is a real possibility and the best way to ward it off it to exercise as much as you can tolerate. Good luck, heal up and ride on.
Old 08-03-16, 05:21 PM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Glad it wasnt too bad, and hope you heal quickly!

Iv gone over my handlebars (and another person & bike, who stopped short in front of me for a u-turn) but thats as bad as Iv had. Im hoping I never go through worse and I try to be careful, but things happen...

I would hope someone would stop to help, or atleast check, though. Especially if im in the road! Im someone who always stops though, for any accident im witness to. Iv only seen one bike accident though (aside from my brothers bmx races, where I couldnt do anything) - Years ago I was driving home and saw a teenage girl crash while going down one of our steepest hills. She wasnt wearing a helmet and cracked her head open, among other things. She swore she had a helmet though and even had an emt go off to find it; Im guessing she was scared of getting in trouble for that. I called 911 then went to get her mom from across the street once emt arrived. She was hurt so badly and was so scared, and I still always think of her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.