Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SRAM Yaw users, functionality with 105

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-16, 06:25 AM
maltess2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, SRAM cranksets rings are optimized to be used with SRAM Yaw derailleurs, at least thatīs what the publicity says.

I would like to know if a SRAM Force/Rival/Red crankset is going to work perfectly with a Shimano 105 derailleur and chain, like if it was a Shimano product.
Old 08-12-16, 06:42 AM
topflightpro

Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
Didn't you already ask this question in another thread.

You will be find using a Sram crank with Shimano.
Old 08-12-16, 07:09 AM
maltess2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am asking specifically about Yaw cranks perfect functionality with Shimano, I know most combinations of different groups will be fine
Old 08-12-16, 08:50 AM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by maltess2
I am asking specifically about Yaw cranks perfect functionality with Shimano, I know most combinations of different groups will be fine
And the answer is still the same as the dozen answers you got in your duplicate thread

If you're so concerned just get shimano cranks
Old 08-12-16, 08:59 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Perfect?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-12-16, 09:03 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Shimano FD will shift the chain on any brand crank of the specified ring configuration (teeth numbers, ring thickness, ring spacing = 10 or 11 speed). Good enough for your taste? Only you can say.

Are there not many stock bikes with mixed front setups?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-12-16, 09:40 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
From what I understand, the "yaw" thing is just marketing terminology for their front derailleurs. Meaning that the cranks are no different than any other SRAM cranks, which are fine to use with Shimano FDs.

My bike came stock with a Tiagra FD and an Apex crank, no issues there.
Old 08-12-16, 09:44 AM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Shimano FD will shift the chain on any brand crank of the specified ring configuration (teeth numbers, ring thickness, ring spacing = 10 or 11 speed). Good enough for your taste? Only you can say.

Are there not many stock bikes with mixed front setups?
OP has to look no further then his own bike that came stock with fsa cranks and 105 groupset
Old 08-12-16, 09:47 AM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Here's a bike that comes stock with Ultegra group and Rival cranks.

https://www.diamondback.com/bikes-road-bikes-alternative-road-haanjo-series-haanjo-trail-carbon

Do you think they would sell something that doesn't work?
Old 08-12-16, 10:09 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Liked 1,356 Times in 789 Posts
My SRAM "yaw" Red front derailleur works fine with my Ultegra crank.
Old 08-12-16, 11:14 AM
HazeT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bruce19
To be honest I felt my Yaw front derailleur worked better with my previous non yaw crankset than with the new on....
Old 08-12-16, 01:30 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by HazeT
To be honest I felt my Yaw front derailleur worked better with my previous non yaw crankset than with the new on....
Yeah, but that is the oppostie situation to what OP is asking about.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-12-16, 01:31 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by HazeT
Yeah, but that is the opposite situation to what OP is asking about.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-13-16, 04:28 AM
maltess2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, some people dont get the point in this question. I am talking about the Sram X - glide chainrings, since the publicity says they are optimized por the Yaw derrailleur. I know they going to function with the shimano and other derrailleurs for sure. My question is if this optimized for Yaw X-Glide chainrings are going to work at the same level of functionality with a shimano derrailleur? maybe the answer in unknow, is the X glide going to have a different shape in dents or something like that?
Old 08-13-16, 10:00 AM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Ok, some people dont get the point in this question. I am talking about the Sram X - glide chainrings, since the publicity says they are optimized por the Yaw derrailleur. I know they going to function with the shimano and other derrailleurs for sure. My question is if this optimized for Yaw X-Glide chainrings are going to work at the same level of functionality with a shimano derrailleur? maybe the answer in unknow, is the X glide going to have a different shape in dents or something like that?
No, everyone gets the point. You just don't want to accept anyone's answer that it doesn't matter. How is the answer unknown when people tell you they used different combos ans it works
Old 08-15-16, 02:27 AM
maltess2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are one of those that don get the point. I am not asking about the ok compatibility between combos.

whatever...
Old 08-15-16, 04:57 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i think the answer the OP wants is "no"
Old 08-15-16, 08:27 AM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
i think the answer the OP wants is "no"
Exactly. He'll keep making new threads until he gets the answer he wants even when he's already been given answers by a dozen people with real world experience
Old 08-15-16, 08:49 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
This is their marketing hyperbole-

"The X-GlideR Chainrings are designed for an optimized shifting performance with the Yaw front derailleur. The stiffer rings (5mm 7075-T6 aluminum CNC-machined) feature upshift rivets with an advanced design adopted from SRAM XX. CNC machining allows for precision control of each tooth shape, ramp, and nearly every shifting feature of the chainring. Chainrings, chain, and front derailleur are designed as a single integrated system for optimized performance."

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but in practice there will be absolutely 0 negative consequences of using a Shimano FD. The physical action of pushing the chain from one ring to another is no different between the derailleur brands. The Yaw FD angles itself in a way that basically eliminates rub in any gear combo, but it still pushes the chain off one ring and onto another just like a Shimano FD.

If there is any functional difference thanks to the "integrated" design, it is so small as to be imperceptible based on many people's experiences here.

Not sure what else you could be looking for, other than finding someone to tell you it just shifts like garbage unless you get a SRAM FD.
Old 08-15-16, 11:31 AM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
why would anyone want to mix their groupset components?

icky.
Old 08-16-16, 04:38 AM
lennyk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
some frames with shorter chainstay lengths are more likely to get front derailleur rub on either side of the middle of the cassette, my caad 10 was like this, was difficult to adjust to get more than 7 gears without compromising lower or higher gears
yaw easily solved that.
Old 08-16-16, 06:04 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by velociraptor
why would anyone want to mix their groupset components?

icky.
Youngsters! What do they know? BITD Frankenbikes were the rule.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-16-16, 08:56 PM
HazeT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Youngsters! What do they know? BITD Frankenbikes were the rule.
During lunch today I told someone I wanted to buy the Red22 shifters only... and the guy: "Are you going to mix the components?" and kept staring at me with a WTF face....
And yes, I was buying the "orange 22" shifters just because the orange accent goes well with my new frame
Old 08-18-16, 05:24 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by lennyk
some frames with shorter chainstay lengths are more likely to get front derailleur rub on either side of the middle of the cassette, my caad 10 was like this, was difficult to adjust to get more than 7 gears without compromising lower or higher gears
yaw easily solved that.
Were you taking advantage of the 'trim' shifts that you get with a Shimano front shifter? I managed to get almost zero chain rub even without trimming on a kid's 24" wheel road bike and Tiagra 4700. You won't find chainstays shorter than those.
Old 08-18-16, 05:28 AM
lennyk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no, too lazy for that.
$40 force yaw fd solved my laziness

Originally Posted by joejack951
Were you taking advantage of the 'trim' shifts that you get with a Shimano front shifter? I managed to get almost zero chain rub even without trimming on a kid's 24" wheel road bike and Tiagra 4700. You won't find chainstays shorter than those.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.