Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fire damage to steel frame?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-16, 10:11 AM
Randybb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I suffered a house fire last month, and somewhat miraculously managed to pull my vintage Columbus SL steel frame bike out of the ruins relatively unscathed, just incredibly dirty and with totally shot hub bearings.

The blast from fire hoses pushed it from a fairly safe area towards the fire and eventually buried it under a pile of charred wood and debris. It looks like a couple spots on the frame came into contact with hot coals, one on the fork and one on the top tube. The paint is blackened, but it looks like the chrome plating underneath the paint is still in tact as far as I can see.

See the attached picture. The dull grey/brown color appears to be burnt paint, and the shiny grey color is the chrome plating underneath that. The whole frame appears to be chrome plated underneath the paint. The damage on the top tube is very similar.

My question is then, can we determine how hot the tubing got at these locations and if that's anywhere near how hot it'd need to get to weaken the steel? I want to put this bike back together but don't want to get hurt riding it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20160830_093517893.jpg (81.9 KB, 237 views)
Old 08-31-16, 11:13 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 241 Posts
If the paint is mostly intact I'd be unconcerned about the well being of the steel. I'm sure it underwent more intense heat cycles during brazing. My concern would be for the brazing material in the lugs, but considering the relatively light damage to the paint I'd also bet it's okay. I'd look over the lugs pretty carefully to see if they've lifted or formed any gaps anywhere, and maybe check frame alignment. I bet it's fine.
Old 08-31-16, 11:15 AM
Ronsonic 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
I cannot imagine that that was enough to damage the tubing or compromise the braze. When you sand it down take a good look. Bet you don't even see discolored steel.
Old 08-31-16, 11:36 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Call me crazy but try this test: Tap the frame with a stick. Listen to the sound. SL frame should produce a nice ringing sound. If metal has lost it's temper will make a dull sound.
Old 08-31-16, 11:37 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18461 Post(s)
Liked 4,565 Times in 3,390 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronsonic
I cannot imagine that that was enough to damage the tubing or compromise the braze. When you sand it down take a good look. Bet you don't even see discolored steel.
Doesn't the sanding take off the blue? One of the colors steel will turn is a golden brown, which may be difficult to distinguish from the burnt paint. Nonetheless, the damage appears to be minimal.

Perhaps before doing a full repaint, carefully inspect the lugs. then reassemble the bike and see how it rides.
Old 08-31-16, 11:46 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'd ride it, that fork tip was red hot when they brazed the dropout into place.
Old 08-31-16, 11:49 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Yea, the Brass that holds the fork tip in, would melt first, and the paint over the brass, there, is still intact.
Old 08-31-16, 01:05 PM
pwyg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
To do any damage to the steel the heat would have incinerated the paint to bare steel I doubt if the heat got above 400 degrees from what i see. The chrome is not even discolored which happens at temps well over 500 degrees. The bronze will not go liquid until 1700+
Paul
Old 08-31-16, 01:09 PM
Seizedpost
Bench vise user

Bikes: 2004 Orbea Marmaloda, 1982 S12-S LTD, 1956? Maino, 1985 Sagres

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's wrong with the hub bearings, heat damage or water damage?
Old 08-31-16, 01:32 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18461 Post(s)
Liked 4,565 Times in 3,390 Posts
Originally Posted by Seizedpost
What's wrong with the hub bearings, heat damage or water damage?
Charred Grease?

If the fire/heat wasn't too bad, it might be interesting to try to clean it all up.
Discard the bearings?
Polish races with emery cloth or fine sandpaper.
Clean and put it all back together with fresh grease and new bearings.
True wheels.
New Tires.
New Cables/Cable Housing.
New Bar Tape
New Brake Pads.
Gum Hoods?
Seat?
I'd probably make sure all parts are loose... better early than late. Clean off oxidation from threads, and grease up anyplace that might seize.

Depending on the bike, you could even leave a few signs of "battle damage".... It could make for some fun stories Light buffing + clearcoat?
Old 08-31-16, 04:45 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Quoted: 26482 Post(s)
Liked 10,449 Times in 7,248 Posts
...your bike is fine. Really. If you had a house fire you have things to worry about, but the bike frame's integrity is not one of them.
Old 08-31-16, 06:00 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 885 Times in 530 Posts
I did more paint damage using a heat gun on a frozen bottom bracket. From the look of your fork, I doubt that it got over 900 deg. F. You were lucky, at least as far as the bike goes. Hope you didn't lose a lot.

Good luck.

Last edited by Moe Zhoost; 09-01-16 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-31-16, 07:45 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked 937 Times in 620 Posts
Ditto... bike is fine. Hubs probably just need fresh grease.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-31-16, 08:03 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Randybb
I suffered a house fire last month, and somewhat miraculously managed to pull my vintage Columbus SL steel frame bike out of the ruins relatively unscathed, just incredibly dirty and with totally shot hub bearings.

The blast from fire hoses pushed it from a fairly safe area towards the fire and eventually buried it under a pile of charred wood and debris. It looks like a couple spots on the frame came into contact with hot coals, one on the fork and one on the top tube. The paint is blackened, but it looks like the chrome plating underneath the paint is still in tact as far as I can see.

See the attached picture. The dull grey/brown color appears to be burnt paint, and the shiny grey color is the chrome plating underneath that. The whole frame appears to be chrome plated underneath the paint. The damage on the top tube is very similar.

My question is then, can we determine how hot the tubing got at these locations and if that's anywhere near how hot it'd need to get to weaken the steel? I want to put this bike back together but don't want to get hurt riding it...
I'm a metalurgist, licensed PE and analyze fire damage all the time - that's only seen 500oF, which is not enough to alter the steel or even the braze.
(I earn my bread and butter with life prediction at 1000-1800oF)

The bearings should be fine, too, but the grease is gone.

Last edited by bulldog1935; 08-31-16 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-31-16, 08:17 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked 803 Times in 427 Posts
Personally, I think it's cool to show battle scars. I'd just clean the frame really well and then just ride how it is (of course other components will need attention). Might even put a varnish coat over it to protect from further oxidation.

Dan
Old 08-31-16, 10:48 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 342 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by bulldog1935
I'm a metalurgist, licensed PE and analyze fire damage all the time - that's only seen 500oF
Good advice. From one PE to another, though (especially if you deal with temperatures all the time), you can get the degree symbol, "°", by holding down the alt key and using the numeric keypad to type 0176. I think you probably know this, though, but it might be useful for others.

It's going to be above 90°F here in Philly next week. 88° today.
Old 09-01-16, 07:03 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would be more concerned about warping not weakened metal.
Old 09-01-16, 07:30 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked 803 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Good advice. From one PE to another, though (especially if you deal with temperatures all the time), you can get the degree symbol, "°", by holding down the alt key and using the numeric keypad to type 0176. I think you probably know this, though, but it might be useful for others.

It's going to be above 90°F here in Philly next week. 88° today.
I live at 41º north latitude 71º west longitude. Cool! On Macs it's just the alt and 0 (zero) key.

Dan
Old 09-01-16, 07:59 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked 1,099 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I live at 41º north latitude 71º west longitude. Cool! On Macs it's just the alt and 0 (zero) key.

Dan
Great to know. I have a Mac and I've been using the "Emoji & Symbols" menus to get to the degree and similar symbols. That will simplify at least one of them. Incidentally alt plus 2,3,4 and 5 give a superscript TM, a pound sterling, a cent and a infinity symbol. I expect there are others.
Old 09-01-16, 03:02 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 885 Times in 530 Posts
Originally Posted by spdracr39
I would be more concerned about warping not weakened metal.
I'd think that any warping would be fairly obvious. If the wheel goes into the fork ends normally and looks well aligned then there is no worry.
Old 09-01-16, 05:32 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
To do damage you need to take it well above 1200F or a dull red. A few hundred degrees more and it becomes easy to bend. I don't see that the part you showed would have been that hot.
Old 09-03-16, 07:37 AM
Randybb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the insights folks. I'm feeling confident in the bike at this point. I carefully inspected all the lugs and everything looks perfect. I checked the frame alignment as best I could, everything is good. I've spent several days just disassembling every little component and screw and cleaning mountains of black gunk off of everything. Still waiting for the new cartridge bearings to come in -- I had recently upgraded to some modern alloy wheels. The wheels were pretty crazy looking, the plastic nut on the QR skewer from one wheel melted, front tire had a bunch of holes melted through the sidewall (brand new tire dang it....) and there was melted plastic burned onto the rim that I had to scrub off. No visible damage to the actual rims or hubs though.

One last thing, anyone have a recommendation for patching up a tiny little tear in the skin of my saddle? It's a Specialized power saddle. just a tiny little rip -- superglue maybe?