Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trek Transport [Cargo Bike]

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-16, 04:54 AM
Pathfinder2436

Bikes: Dawes Galaxy [in bits]. New Surly Big Dummy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can anyone help me identify the builders of Trek Transporters. They're cargo bikes. Just as I am new to this forum, I am just as inexperienced at using the internet. Some of us oldies still have a great deal to learn. I have searched, but obviously not on the right page.

I'm looking to buy a Trek Transporter because my wife loves them. She still rides a great deal, and her 64 birthday is coming up shortly. So if anyone out there can spare me a couple of minutes and tell me where I can purchase one of these bikes, you'll be helping me celebrate a great day with a wonderful wife. Many thanks....
Old 09-26-16, 05:26 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Couldn't find many more recent references, but...

Trek Transport+ review - BikeRadar USA
Old 09-26-16, 05:31 AM
CliffordK

Liked 4,571 Times in 3,395 Posts
Everything seems to indicate the bikes were made in Taiwan under the mark: Trek/Gary Fisher Transport

Review ? Trek Gary Fisher Collection Transport+ | Bicycle Times Magazine

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing anything newer than 2014, so perhaps you can find a NOS bike somewhere.

It looks like there may be one in Chicago.
Trek Transport (Gary Fisher Collection) - Village Cycle Center

It looks like a couple on Craigslist too.
Trek Transport + - ELECTRIC CARGO BIKE - $1500 (Crystal Lake)
Trek Transport Longtail Bike - $675 (Boise)

There are quite a few different cargo bikes available.

Yuba makes somewhat similar cargo bikes.
Bike Friday also has their Haul-a-day.

Last edited by CliffordK; 09-26-16 at 05:40 AM.
Old 09-26-16, 08:02 AM
alcjphil

Liked 1,762 Times in 1,023 Posts
It appears that the OP lives in Wales, so buying from a shop in Chicago won't work. The model was discontinued after 2014 and was only sold through bike shops that are Trek dealers. Shipping costs for a bike like that are very high, so buying one from a source in the US would be extremely expensive
Old 09-26-16, 09:12 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
I think it was a short batch , ordered, LBS had 1, took forever to sell , if that was a common pattern
reordering another batch made, may have been canceled.

If She, in Wales, 'Loved them' she probably tried one , so its a quest for a rare one being resold.

OP Lists a Big Dummy, Steel, is owned, Trek Transport Was made in Aluminum ..

long john type out of DK, also in aluminum made in Taiwan , is the Bullitt. https://www.larryvsharry.com/

./.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-26-16 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-26-16, 01:50 PM
CliffordK

It does look like a sweet bike, but $2800 is a pretty hefty price point, so I can imagine they'd be slow selling to a narrow market niche.

The electronic assist would be nice, but I think other brands are putting them into cargo bikes too.

I'm disappointed that a company like Trek can do all the R&D to make the bike, but can't continue it as a low production model. How many? 500 a year? Maybe sell through a few speciality shops plus mail-order.

I've found that packing 100 pounds on top of my cargo rack was awkward. Perhaps the panniers would help some, but as fietsbob suggests, the longnose bikes would certainly be worth considering if one has the space for one.

I missed the international shipping
But, if one can find the bike in the USA for less than half MSRP, perhaps one could even spend $200 or $300 to ship the thing back to Europe and come out ahead.

Or, of course, browse all the local used ads and E-Bay for one closer.

I could imagine heading off to the opposite side of the UK, and riding it home (maybe a ferry would help).
Old 09-26-16, 02:56 PM
Pathfinder2436

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many thanks for your valued assistance. The depth of knowledge from members on the Bike Forum is truly astonishing. I've enjoyed reading all replies and I thank you for your time. I was thinking of purchasing a small Surly Big Dummy for my wife. However, at 5' nothing even that's too big for her. I may look towards Copenhagen. If there's one place on earth that is the capitol of cargo bikes, it's Copenhagen. I will solve this birthday gift. Again thank you. Ride safe...
Old 09-26-16, 03:03 PM
alcjphil

If you have some time on your hands, check out this site: Lovely Bicycle!
If you look around, there are reviews of several cargo bikes written from a woman's perspective. The writer currently lives in Ireland
Old 09-26-16, 07:11 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Pathfinder2436
However, at 5' nothing even that's too big for her.
Look at the Haul-A-Day

https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-b...es/haul-a-day/

They are somewhat lighter than many of the other cargo bikes.

They are designed with a sliding main tube so that the bike can easily be lengthened or shortened depending on the rider. It also easily comes apart for shipping/transport (not folding like other Bike Friday bikes).

All bikes are semi-custom built for the specific rider. Also a variety of colors are available. The company is also very responsive to E-Mails. Presumably they'll ship the bikes anywhere.

The company has experimented with E-Assist bikes, but I'm not seeing them on the menu at this time. It is worth asking them though.
Old 09-26-16, 10:14 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Many thanks for your valued assistance. The depth of knowledge from members on the Bike Forum is truly astonishing. I've enjoyed reading all replies and I thank you for your time. I was thinking of purchasing a small Surly Big Dummy for my wife. However, at 5' nothing even that's too big for her. I may look towards Copenhagen. If there's one place on earth that is the capitol of cargo bikes, it's Copenhagen. I will solve this birthday gift. Again thank you. Ride safe...
I think you might have to give up on Copenhagen. While they probably have plenty of cargo bikes, I am sure they are all made for super tall people.
Old 09-27-16, 03:33 AM
Pathfinder2436

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi from Wales, thanks very much for assisting me with my birthday gift. Many years ago I had to drive across the width of west Germany looking for a pair of shoes to fit my wife's size 3 feet. We didn't find any! Bikes are also a major problem. Due to your contact I've looked at "Haul-A-Day". I think we've successfully matched small with small.
Vanessa will be delighted. Many thanks for your time. Safe riding...
Old 09-27-16, 03:47 AM
Pathfinder2436

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi from Wales, thanks very much for assistance. I received information from "CliffordK" regarding a bike from "BikeFriday", a bike called, "Haul-A-Day". It looks to be the one. My birthday problem I believe has now been solved. But again thanks for your help. Just noticed you've posted twice. Thanks! I'll check out "lovely bicycle"!
Old 09-27-16, 03:56 AM
Pathfinder2436

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi from Wales, thanks for your assistance and time solving my dilemma. "CliffordK" looks to have solved it me. "Haul-A-Day" from bikefriday. Brilliant! The midget can have a midget bike. And when she gets tired riding, I'll stick it in me panier on my Big Dummy. Again many thanks for helping...
Old 09-27-16, 07:46 AM
alcjphil

Hi from Wales, thanks for your assistance and time solving my dilemma. "CliffordK" looks to have solved it me. "Haul-A-Day" from bikefriday. Brilliant! The midget can have a midget bike. And when she gets tired riding, I'll stick it in me panier on my Big Dummy. Again many thanks for helping...
If you are interested in the Haul a day, here is a review:
Lovely Bicycle!: Long Term Review: the Bike Friday Haul-a-Day Takes to the Hills