Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Waterproof - Trunk Bags

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Waterproof - Trunk Bags

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-16, 04:06 AM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Waterproof - Trunk Bags

I'm interested to find out what waterproof trunk bags are available. I haven't found many that are actually waterproof. I've seen the Thule (Waterproof IPX4) and the Ortlieb ((Waterproof IPX67), but what other trunk bags are waterproof in their construction and don't depend on a cover?
Old 10-16-16, 06:12 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Personally I find truck bags unnecessary extra weight. If all items don't fit into my panniers I just strap my tent to the top rack for no weight penalty.

I would consider a trunk bag for credit-card touring if all my items could fit in it. But I don't do credit-card touring so no need for me.

Without any personal experience I'd opt for the Ortlieb because their stuff is always well engineered and waterproof.

Last edited by BigAura; 10-16-16 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-16-16, 06:26 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 4,321 Times in 2,381 Posts
Originally Posted by bigaura
personally i find truck bags unnecessary extra weight. If all items don't fit into my panniers i just strap my tent to the top rack for no weight penalty.

Snip . . .
+ 1.
Old 10-16-16, 08:25 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Liked 934 Times in 646 Posts
If it's something I absolutely don't want to chance getting wet I pack it inside a plastic bag then pack that into a second plastic bag before putting it into my trunk bag (or pannier). I do NOT trust anything to be 100% waterproof from the factory.

Cheers
Old 10-16-16, 08:47 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Liked 353 Times in 239 Posts
this waterproof pannier set (20L/side) has an optional matching 10L trunk bag.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...id=41796774322

another model offers a gargantuan 60L trunk bag.

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?sp...d=538667220942

Last edited by saddlesores; 10-16-16 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-16-16, 09:50 AM
Doug64

Liked 860 Times in 444 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
If it's something I absolutely don't want to chance getting wet I pack it inside a plastic bag then pack that into a second plastic bag before putting it into my trunk bag (or pannier). I do NOT trust anything to be 100% waterproof from the factory.

Cheers
My experience using Ortlieb bags is that they are 100% waterproof, even after 10 years from the factory. Our cameras, computer, passports, wallet, phone and other sensitive items just go into Ortlieb bags with no extra weather protection. On a tour a few years ago we had 35 days of rain without any problems keeping things dry with Ortlieb panniers, trunk bags and bar bags. I am willing to take the weight penalty for the rack pack. It keeps my sleeping bag, thermarest, tent, and a few misc. items dry, and in one compact bundle. I don't like the hassle of having a bunch of loose items strapped to my rear rack.

My load weight seldom exceeds 35-40 lb., even in cold weather.

My panniers do not come inside of the tent. If a picnic table is available, I usually put them on the bench seat, if not, they are lined up near the tent. My bar bag is in the tent! They have always kept my gear dry, except when I forget to close them

Washing the mud off after riding through the aftermath of the 2013 floods, near Calgary, Alberta. The pannier still has its contents inside. There is really no concern about getting the contents wet.

Last edited by Doug64; 10-16-16 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-16-16, 12:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
My Film Camera Gear was stowed in a Small Ortlieb rack pack .. a Dry bag that closes along it's side.

The Medium is what Doug has across the back of his Bike..

Most Dry Bags Roll closed on their Ends .. You can always use a Dry bag on your rack.
Old 10-16-16, 01:56 PM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. Maybe I'll get a drybag and pub my tent and sleeping kit in it to keep them dry.
Old 10-16-16, 04:08 PM
BigAura

Originally Posted by AdvXtrm
Thanks for the ideas. Maybe I'll get a drybag and pub my tent and sleeping kit in it to keep them dry.
Tents are often wet, from rain and many days from dew, I would not recommend packing it with items that need to remain dry, like a sleeping bag.
Old 10-16-16, 04:42 PM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
Tents are often wet, from rain and many days from dew, I would not recommend packing it with items that need to remain dry, like a sleeping bag.
Great point. I'll only have it in there if it's "good and dry". I guess a wet tent just stays wet until some days without rain go by.
Old 10-16-16, 05:15 PM
BigAura

Great point. I'll only have it in there if it's "good and dry". I guess a wet tent just stays wet until some days without rain go by.
From my experience many days I'll have no choice but to roll up a wet tent. If I setup camp in the late afternoon I'll often let it dry, at least a little, after it's setup. If you've got a little sun or a breeze it doesn't take long.
Old 10-16-16, 05:21 PM
Doug64

Just put the wet tent, usually just the rainfly, in a plastic grocery bag, and it will travel well inside the rack pack, at least for a day. It is also an old-wive's tale that moisture inside waterproof bags causes mold/mildew. I suppose it would if left in the sealed pack for extended periods.

My sleeping bag, tent, and Thermarest are carried in water proof sil-nylon compression sacks. If the rainfly is especially wet I carry it on top the rack pack.

Left to right-- Tent and rainfly, compressible pillow, sleeping bag, sil-nylon ground cloth (gray bag) , and Thermarest sleeping pad. Total weight <10lb, including Rack Pack and tent poles.

I use just 2 high quality, marine-grade bungee cords to secure the rack pack. Its worked well for a lot of miles.

Rackpack link:
TheTouringStore.com | Ortlieb Rack Pack Dry Bags

Last edited by Doug64; 10-16-16 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-16-16, 05:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Liked 8,063 Times in 4,472 Posts
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...dry-sack-large

This is a drybag thats also a compression sack. Air gets out but not in. It works great and i have used it on a couple of 3 day rides to hold all my in tent stuff.
Sleeping bag (its lightweight)
Inflatable pillow
Inflatable sleep pad
Thin fleece blanket

There is a ton of room after packing those things in, so it could be used for different gear or more gear if needed.

You can slap that atop your rack, secure it, and you are guaranteed that all the gear for inside the tent will be dry.

As for a wet tent, i shove my fly and tent i to a compression sack. Each goes into a plastic garbage bag first. That keeps water containedsince the fly is typically a lot worse off than the tent. 15min of sitting in the sun and breeze will dry both before setting up.
I like using the compression sack as the tent goes in a pannier and it ensures other things in that pannier dont get wet from the tent, and the tent squishes down really small in a compression sack.
Old 10-16-16, 05:54 PM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
Just put the wet tent, usually just the rainfly, in a plastic grocery bag, and it will travel well inside the rack pack, at least for a day. It is also an old-wive's tale that moisture inside waterproof bags causes mold/mildew. I suppose it would if left in the sealed pack for extended periods.

My sleeping bag, tent, and Thermarest are carried in water proof sil-nylon compression sacks. If the rainfly is especially wet I carry it on top the rack pack.

Left to right-- Tent and rainfly, compressible pillow, sleeping bag, sil-nylon ground cloth (gray bag) , and Thermarest sleeping pad. Total weight <10lb, including Rack Pack and tent poles.

I use just 2 high quality, marine-grade bungee cords to secure the rack pack. Its worked well for a lot of miles.

Rackpack link:
TheTouringStore.com | Ortlieb Rack Pack Dry Bags
That's the setup I'm looking for. The deal posted by "mstateglfr" looks like a great one. I think I'll go for it.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...dry-sack-large

This is a drybag thats also a compression sack. Air gets out but not in. It works great and i have used it on a couple of 3 day rides to hold all my in tent stuff.
Sleeping bag (its lightweight)
Inflatable pillow
Inflatable sleep pad
Thin fleece blanket

There is a ton of room after packing those things in, so it could be used for different gear or more gear if needed.

You can slap that atop your rack, secure it, and you are guaranteed that all the gear for inside the tent will be dry.

As for a wet tent, i shove my fly and tent i to a compression sack. Each goes into a plastic garbage bag first. That keeps water containedsince the fly is typically a lot worse off than the tent. 15min of sitting in the sun and breeze will dry both before setting up.
I like using the compression sack as the tent goes in a pannier and it ensures other things in that pannier dont get wet from the tent, and the tent squishes down really small in a compression sack.
Thanks for the link; killer deal, I think I may go for it right now unless someone can convince me otherwise.
Old 10-16-16, 06:14 PM
Doug64

Originally Posted by BigAura
From my experience many days I'll have no choice but to roll up a wet tent. If I setup camp in the late afternoon I'll often let it dry, at least a little, after it's setup. If you've got a little sun or a breeze it doesn't take long.
That is also the same way I sometimes handle a really wet tent or rainfly, especially if I think a plastic grocery bag will not contain the moisture, such in this soaked rainfly.

This really wet rainfly went under the bungees of my rack pack. It was still raining when we packed up.

Old 10-16-16, 06:19 PM
Doug64

That's the setup I'm looking for. The deal posted by "mstateglfr" looks like a great one. I think I'll go for it.

Thanks for the link; killer deal, I think I may go for it right now unless someone can convince me otherwise.
It looks like mstateglfr's recommendation is definitely worth a try. He has used it and seems happy with it. The only reservation I would have is with the durability of the fabric. It is pretty lightweight. However, a lot of people carry their bags and tents strapped to their rear racks in bags made of lighter material than this one.

Last edited by Doug64; 10-16-16 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-16-16, 06:38 PM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys; for 27 bucks it's definitely worth a shot. It's 70D, so unless I do something stupid with it, or it gets hooked on an especially heavily barbed item and ripped apart, I should be ok with it.
Old 10-16-16, 07:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Liked 8,063 Times in 4,472 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
It looks like mstateglfr's recommendation is definitely worth a try. He has used it and seems happy with it. The only reservation I would have is with the durability of the fabric. It is pretty lightweight. However, a lot of people carry their bags and tents strapped to their rear racks in bags made of lighter material than this one.
Thanks for all the info guys; for 27 bucks it's definitely worth a shot. It's 70D, so unless I do something stupid with it, or it gets hooked on an especially heavily barbed item and ripped apart, I should be ok with it.
It isn't thin like a sil bag, but the material also isnt as thick as a canoe dry bag. Its somewhere between, and the compression straps are well secured and adjusted.
I figured itd be worth a shot since i like the idea of having the compression straps, but agree with doug that it isnt something to toss around the campsite with gear in it.

Speaking of doug, i dont have pictures of every moment from tours (thats a compliment doug, i am constantly amazed at what random things you have photographed which are then useful when describing gear!), but i have a pic from the last short ride with the bag on the rack. It could easily be 2x bigger if needed. I secured it with 2 adjustable tie downs in an X formation.
These are the tie downs as i dont like bungees for riding. Im odd like that.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00SX...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its the bag behind the orange pole bag.
Old 10-16-16, 07:39 PM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It isn't thin like a sil bag, but the material also isnt as thick as a canoe dry bag. Its somewhere between, and the compression straps are well secured and adjusted.
I figured itd be worth a shot since i like the idea of having the compression straps, but agree with doug that it isnt something to toss around the campsite with gear in it.

Speaking of doug, i dont have pictures of every moment from tours (thats a compliment doug, i am constantly amazed at what random things you have photographed which are then useful when describing gear!), but i have a pic from the last short ride with the bag on the rack. It could easily be 2x bigger if needed. I secured it with 2 adjustable tie downs in an X formation.
These are the tie downs as i dont like bungees for riding. Im odd like that.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00SX...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its the bag behind the orange pole bag.
Nice, those are the same straps I've got now and I love them!
Old 10-16-16, 08:25 PM
Doug64

Yeah, my wife claims that if I saw "it", I probably have a picture of "it"

On one 2-month tour we took a total of 10,500 pictures between us. In my defense, I was using a new camera, and was really trying to learn how to use it. Most of our digital bike touring pictures started about 10 years ago. We have toured a lot since then which provides a lot of opportunity for pictures. Digital cameras also promote "shotgun" shooting; GBs are cheap compared to film. Just wait until we start scanning our slides

BTW- that looks like a nice set up.

Last edited by Doug64; 10-16-16 at 09:33 PM.