Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Weather

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-16, 09:51 AM
travelergypsy

Bikes: 1999 Mongoose SX 4.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weather

What websight/app do y'all use for weather forecast for your day of riding?
Old 10-20-16, 10:01 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Liked 604 Times in 275 Posts
Mostly I just look out the window, but I also find this helpful, occasionally:

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/
Old 10-20-16, 10:01 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Weather.com
nws.noaa.gov
The built in app on my cell phone
Old 10-20-16, 10:35 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Liked 1,702 Times in 840 Posts
I like Weather Underground for its Android app. It's clean, simple and has a homescreen "widget" icon that shows current conditions. I can customize the app to give me the info I want and hide what I don't want. They had to incorporate ads last year, but they seem less obtrusive than some other apps I tested.
Old 10-20-16, 10:43 AM
llj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I listen to the radio in the morning and then decide how to schedule my day around the weather.
Old 10-20-16, 11:12 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by travelergypsy
What websight/app do y'all use for weather forecast for your day of riding?
Try this, put bike outside, look at the seat. If it has snow on it dress warm. If it is wet, think about rain gear. If the bike blows over, use the drops. More seriously, I like the local weather station on tv. Local and accurate.
Old 10-20-16, 11:46 AM
EricSteven5

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've found nothing better than an app called Dark Sky. It uses what they call "hyper local" forecasting, in that it uses your gps location and pulls data from all nearby weather stations to give extremely localized projections. I used it on tour and also when I was visiting rainy Portland,OR.
It is scary accurate. It will give you push notifications saying "drizzle/light rain/heavy rain, etc starting in xx minutes, ending in xx minute", and lo and behold. To the minute almost every time!
Forewarning- it is a $4.99 app. No recurring fees though.
Old 10-20-16, 12:38 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I check the MyRadar app on my iPhone. If there's no rain nearby I'm out the door.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-20-16, 12:46 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Liked 2,807 Times in 1,803 Posts
WeatherBug and AccuWeather for Android. And my own joints and sinuses as a backup. Occasionally the two apps differ but between them the overall forecast is usually very accurate. Sometimes my body is more accurate.

Earlier this week both forecasts were for mostly sunny and hot weather with cooling by Thursday-Friday. I noticed the barometric pressure was falling and my joints and sinuses were aching by Tue-Wed. That usually means t-storms coming. Sure 'nuff, despite the rosy forecasts we had some loud t-storms with lots of lightning early Friday morning but with relatively little rain.
Old 10-20-16, 01:01 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just look outside. All the weather apps use locations which are far enough away that the reports often differ from the microclimate on my side of town. Especially the wind readings, those are nearly always off. Now that it's colder out I'll start stuffing a rain jacket in the backpack.
Old 10-20-16, 02:15 PM
wschruba

Liked 64 Times in 49 Posts
I have a barometer in a lee on the house, and use National Weather Service .

Between the two, I'm rarely caught surprised by weather; there are NOAA weather stations 15 miles south of me, and 10 miles east, so I find it quite accurate.
Old 10-20-16, 02:27 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,009 Times in 1,257 Posts
Weather.gov, and its looping radar, usually work for me. Since most commercial forecasters start from the NWS, and the NWS site itself lacks all the goofy commercials, why not go to the source?
Old 10-20-16, 05:29 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Liked 885 Times in 530 Posts
Weather Underground for the most part. When I am in an especially nerdy mood, I will use NWS EDD
Old 10-20-16, 05:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Liked 2,807 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by jfowler85
...the reports often differ from the microclimate on my side of town... Now that it's colder out I'll start stuffing a rain jacket in the backpack.
Ditto, and ditto. Most areas have micro-climates that feel noticeably different, sometimes within 100 yards or even a single acre of land. My grandparents' garden and orchard had a couple of micro-climates and they planted specifically for those little variations -- if we planted corn in the wrong place it would develop some nasty mold, but just a few yards the other way and it was perfect. It can go from perfect to uncomfortable within a short distance.

Yup, this time of year in Texas is when I begin to either carry a light jacket or long sleeve shirt, or wear a sleeveless wicking baselayer beneath my short sleeve jersey or pullover shirts. I really like the Pearl Izumi sleeveless baselayer (there are probably others that are just as good). It can extend the comfort range under a short sleeve shirt/jersey from the high 50s-low 60s on up and still be comfortable up to 90F.
Old 10-20-16, 06:34 PM
jhazel

Bikes: Trek Madone4.5, Fuji Newest, DaVinci Joint Venture, Pacific Dually, Kuota K Factor Thruster

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm another one for just going outside and assuming that the weather in my driveway will be the same wherever I go for as long as I'm out. Of course, I sometimes get wet, although in north Texas that isn't much of a problem. I'm often too warm or too cold but that can usually be taken care of by taking off or putting on a layer. North Texas is very forgiving.
Old 10-20-16, 06:38 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Hobart weather - local weather forecast
Hobart Forecast
Old 10-20-16, 07:41 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by EricSteven5
I've found nothing better than an app called Dark Sky. It uses what they call "hyper local" forecasting, in that it uses your gps location and pulls data from all nearby weather stations to give extremely localized projections. I used it on tour and also when I was visiting rainy Portland,OR.
It is scary accurate. It will give you push notifications saying "drizzle/light rain/heavy rain, etc starting in xx minutes, ending in xx minute", and lo and behold. To the minute almost every time!
Forewarning- it is a $4.99 app. No recurring fees though.
Wow, I'm gonna buy this asap. I live in the Portland/Vancouver area and my built in phone app sucks. Many times I've been caught in a downpour when I was assured by the TV and my phone's app that it was dry. I've been looking for something that might offer real time info.
Old 10-21-16, 06:05 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Weatherbug app and I go by what the map shows. Forecasting both with local TV news and on the app is wrong 90% of the time. The map shows where the rain is and you can extrapolate when the rain is going to be in your area.

If I'm looking to ride after work, I look to see what is happening in Ohio during the day and check where any rain is when I'm ready to head home.

Same with temperature when you are looking to plan the weekend. Can't look at temperature for Saturday on Wednesday, it will change. They can barely get accurate current conditions on forecasts let alone predict 3 days ahead. Many scheduled rides have been canceled due to 90% chance of rain and it turned out to be a cloudless day and many were canceled at the last minute because of 10% chance of rain turned out to be horrendous thunderstorms all day.
Old 10-21-16, 08:09 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I use Storm. It used to be the Intellicast app but they did a total makeover and renamed it. Seems to have fairly accurate predictions.
Old 10-21-16, 08:35 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by EricSteven5
I've found nothing better than an app called Dark Sky.
+1!

Dark Sky was five bucks well spent. It'll give you pretty accurate by-the-minute rainfall predictions based on your GPS location and has an easy to read timeline that'll tell you not only whether it'll rain, but how hard. The radar display's better than any other mobile app or web site I've tried, too.

...and with Family Sharing on Apple devices, that five bucks bought it for me, the wife, and kids.
Old 10-21-16, 09:54 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,612 Times in 2,360 Posts
I have to see the live radar loop

Intellicast - Current Radar in United States

click "play animation"

you can select a state from the drop down or just click the approx spot where you live