Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

She yelled from her SUV...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-05, 04:05 PM
Yoshi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On friday I had just begun my morning commute when it started to rain. Fortunately I had checked the weather before I left and stuck a raincoat in my pocket, although the rain was pretty light at first so I didn't put it on right away.

This woman in an SUV sees me, rolls down her windows and shouts at me. I turn and look, and she was offering me a poncho. I politely declined explaining I had a raincoat.

Totally made my day.
Old 05-21-05, 04:09 PM
spine of hortus

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
some people are just awsome
Old 05-21-05, 08:40 PM
TheMainer
Laughing Boy

Bikes: Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's cool...it is always nice when you see a motorist with a brain as well as a heart.
Old 05-22-05, 08:55 AM
Gus Riley
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 05-22-05, 09:44 AM
palmertires

Bikes: Beater 8000 custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's sweet.
Old 05-22-05, 10:30 AM
Cycliste

Bikes: Surley LHT, Cannondale R1000, IBEX Ignition, Bianchi Boardwalk, KHS Milano Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a bike story but similar to top post:

One day, I was driving along a two-way road, probably a little under the speed limit when I saw this car in my rear view mirror flashing lights. There was trafic coming ahead and couldn't squeeze-in the shoulder because there wasn't any and decided I should not go any faster either, after all speed limit is max speed . Half a mile down, I pulled-in a rest area and saw the car following me. Once stopped, I pulled down the window and was about to yell "What's your problem, mam ?" , when this lady, all smiles, held me my gas tank cap that I had left on the roof and fell on the road.

I must have stared at her with my mouth opened and can't even remember if I said thank you as she pulled off immediatly and went back in the other direction. She had gone miles out of her way!

Yes, some people are just that good!
Old 05-22-05, 10:51 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
It's sad that these events are rare enough that when they do happen it's worthy of mention.
Old 05-22-05, 11:04 AM
spine of hortus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
It's sad that these events are rare enough that when they do happen it's worthy of mention.
i disagree.i think all good deeds are worthy of mention. i think a problem we have is we think tht we are entitled to have people be nice to us so we take nice actions for granted. i think we should stop and appreciate peoples good deeds.
Old 05-22-05, 12:51 PM
Crazy Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMainer
That's cool...it is always nice when you see a motorist with a brain as well as a heart.
That's for sure, there's not too many of them around.
Old 05-22-05, 01:19 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by spine of hortus
i disagree.i think all good deeds are worthy of mention. i think a problem we have is we think tht we are entitled to have people be nice to us so we take nice actions for granted. i think we should stop and appreciate peoples good deeds.
Yeah but then you miss the exact point of my post. It's sad that they need mention at all because they shouldn't be rare.
Old 05-22-05, 01:31 PM
spine of hortus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i see what your saying

i sorta live by the philosophy that im a part of everything in existance and everything is a part of me , a sorta everythings connected veiw so i try tp be nice to people but ill admit i have my moments
Old 05-22-05, 06:13 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Yeah but then you miss the exact point of my post. It's sad that they need mention at all because they shouldn't be rare.
I doubt that they are as rare as you imply. It's human nature not to talk about them. There is a maxim in marketing that someone who has a bad expereince with tell between 20 and 30 people; someone who has a good experience might tell 3 to 5.

The internet has amplified those figures by a thousand or so. Just evidence the number of petulant posts on these forums about how bad LBSs are, compared to the bouquets for good service, prompt delivery and good product.

Or the bad behaviour of X number of drivers compared to the good behaviour of 1,000,000 x X drivers who go about their business daily without hurting or intimidating anyone.
Old 05-22-05, 06:39 PM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rowan
I doubt that they are as rare as you imply. It's human nature not to talk about them. There is a maxim in marketing that someone who has a bad expereince with tell between 20 and 30 people; someone who has a good experience might tell 3 to 5.

The internet has amplified those figures by a thousand or so. Just evidence the number of petulant posts on these forums about how bad LBSs are, compared to the bouquets for good service, prompt delivery and good product.

Or the bad behaviour of X number of drivers compared to the good behaviour of 1,000,000 x X drivers who go about their business daily without hurting or intimidating anyone.
I think you've got a point, Rowan. I work in the communications business, and sad to say, good things rarely make the news. For example, you'd never see a story along the lines of: "Last week there were tens of thousands of commercial flights and every one of them landed safely" or "Yesterday Millions of Americans Worked Hard, Went Home, Took Care of Their Families and Also Found Time to Do Significant Volunteer Work"

I'm not trying to be a Polyanna, but good things are happening all around us, and I agree they need to be encouraged and participated in.
Old 05-22-05, 06:44 PM
KirkeIsWaiting
the dog ate my earbuds

Bikes: Colnago CT-1 B-stay Campy Carbon Record, '05 Litespeed Siena Campy, Bridgestone X03 , Peugeot dream bike gets FIXED, Waterford Campy Record Colbalto, Motobecane Tandem in perfect condition, A Belgium made Bertin that was sent by an angel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackberry
I think you've got a point, Rowan. I work in the communications business, and sad to say, good things rarely make the news. For example, you'd never see a story along the lines of: "Last week there were tens of thousands of commercial flights and every one of them landed safely" or "Yesterday Millions of Americans Worked Hard, Went Home, Took Care of Their Families and Also Found Time to Do Significant Volunteer Work"

I'm not trying to be a Polyanna, but good things are happening all around us, and I agree they need to be encouraged and participated in.

'good things' happen to me everyday.
I try to take a moment and acknowledge them.
I'm grateful.
Old 05-23-05, 08:18 AM
JohnCub
Approachable

Bikes: ActionBent Jetstream 2, Haro Fusion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm glad you shared the story. Some days, when things aren't really going our way, it's nice to hear that someone has had a moment that makes more than a few people smile.

I'm a big fan of "Good News". I'm not a big fan of "The News."
Old 05-23-05, 08:23 AM
gboy
accident-prone

Bikes: Brodie Romax Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speaking about gas caps, several weeks ago I was waiting behind a row of cars at a red light and noticed that the driver of the car in front had forgotten to close the gas cap. So I moved forward a little and tapped on his passenger window to inform him and then closed the cap tightly. It was an older gentlemen who probably forgot and who seemed suprised and thankful.