Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Zwift anyone?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Zwift anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-16, 07:03 AM
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Giant AnthemX

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Zwift anyone?

Ive been seeing some guys that I follow on Strava using Zwift. Ive done a little research and found that you would like need a power tap wheel or some type of power recording device or a trainer that has power. Aside from that, would you need a garmin that could communicate with the trainer and also, the PC? Seems like alot but interesting as well. Anyone use it? Thanks in advance.

https://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg
Old 10-28-16, 07:42 AM
Larry77

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Focus Izalco, Focus Mares CX, BMC GF02, Giant VT3 MTB (upgraded), Felt Brougham SS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 10-28-16, 07:45 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Liked 123 Times in 79 Posts
You don't need a Garmin. You can use any of their supported trainers and Zwift will estimate power. It is better if you have a power meter of some sort though. What you will need is a PC with a ANT+ dongle or Bluetooth if your devices can support that to communicate with your speed/cadence/heart rate/power meter devices.

There's lots of info out there on what is needed. Zwift Blog
Old 10-28-16, 08:25 AM
Retoocs

Liked 63 Times in 37 Posts
The minimum you need is a speed/cadence sensor and a laptop that connects to the sensor via Bluetooth, if not a ANT+ dongle. It'll calculate the power and what your virtual speed is.

The cheapest way is to get a smart trainer like the Elite Qubo Digital Smart B+ for less than $400. I started with the former and now have the later. While it is a little slow to change resistance, it's also not $1000+.
Old 10-28-16, 08:37 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
My zwift investment was maybe $40. Already had a supported mag trainer, got a cheap Bluetooth speed cadence sensor, and use my phone as a bridge to my laptop. Works like a charm, but I'm sure it's more immersive if you have a smart trainer.
Old 10-28-16, 08:40 AM
PepeM

Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Go with a dumb trainer, win races, enjoy the seethe from the people with Neo's.
Old 10-28-16, 08:47 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I trial-ed it with a dumb trainer, a Wahoo speed/cadence sensor, and got a dongle to attach to my Mac mini which is connected to my TV. DCRainMaker recommended this one, which is comparatively inexpensive and what I got.

I found watching Grateful Dead concerts on TV while I pedal to be more involving than the Zwift interface, so I let the trial expire. Now that it is raining again (apparently for real this time, rather than the fake El Nino last year), I will probably revisit this decision.
Old 10-28-16, 08:55 AM
DonBjr

Bikes: 2008 Trek Fuel EX9, Emonda SL6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An IOS version is in beta, so you would be able to use a newer IPAD or iphone instead of a PC. -I know some people have ipads or iphones while their PC is some old clunker if they still have it. I have a gaming laptop I use which produces nicer looking graphics than an ipad/iphone does, however.
Old 10-28-16, 11:05 AM
Retoocs

Liked 63 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I found watching Grateful Dead concerts on TV while I pedal to be more involving than the Zwift interface, so I let the trial expire. Now that it is raining again (apparently for real this time, rather than the fake El Nino last year), I will probably revisit this decision.
One of the benefits of having a smart trainer and a program like Zwift is you can use one of their training sessions or program your own. Then you can watch a movie or what not and have the trainer automatically change resistance. You won't need to worry about how hard or how long to ride for. It makes doing intervals go by faster.
Old 10-28-16, 11:14 AM
eric1971

Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
To get he best out of it, you really need a smart trainer. I personally use the Tacx Vortex Smart. Zwift is the next best thing to riding outside IMO.

https://www.performancebike.com/bike...221&cadevice=c
Old 10-28-16, 11:31 AM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Definitely get a smart trainer, it really does make a difference.

Old 10-28-16, 11:32 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Liked 123 Times in 79 Posts
Strava premium members get 2 months free. But this is the last year for this bonus.

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/a...mber-31st-2016
Old 10-28-16, 04:55 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
Nope. I have a dumb trainer and an old Macbook, but I can get a decent workout watching old Paris-Roubaix videos on youtube.
Old 10-31-16, 08:54 AM
Equinox

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
If the weather is nice, I'm outside. In the winter, I enjoy Zwift. I belong to a Zwift team and I enjoy the social aspect of it. Additionally Zwift affords me an opportunity to race safely. It's been a huge benefit to my training.
Old 10-31-16, 11:32 AM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I ride outside in the winter.
Old 11-04-16, 12:02 PM
C_Heath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eric1971
To get he best out of it, you really need a smart trainer. I personally use the Tacx Vortex Smart. Zwift is the next best thing to riding outside IMO.

https://www.performancebike.com/bike...221&cadevice=c
I have narrowed it down between this one and the Wahoo Kikr. Yes, the kikr is double but thats just me. The only thing I have found is that this one has had some sub par reviews on a few software issues associated with Zwift. Also, power readings have been too high or to low. Also, someone mentioned having to use a 3rd party vendor for some software that wouldnt work with Zwift?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Old 11-04-16, 12:07 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Meanwhile, in Watopia...

One of the big wheelers eventually droped me :-(
Old 11-04-16, 12:18 PM
PepeM

Must be the aero.
Old 11-07-16, 01:32 PM
eric1971

Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by C_Heath
I have narrowed it down between this one and the Wahoo Kikr. Yes, the kikr is double but thats just me. The only thing I have found is that this one has had some sub par reviews on a few software issues associated with Zwift. Also, power readings have been too high or to low. Also, someone mentioned having to use a 3rd party vendor for some software that wouldnt work with Zwift?

Thoughts?

Thanks
I have not had any issues with mine. The Tacx uses a smart phone app for calibration, so maybe that is what they were referring to? It is definitely important to calibrate the trainer. Be sure to have the tire at the proper psi. I use the Tacx trainer tire and run it at 100 psi.
Old 11-07-16, 02:53 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by C_Heath

Thoughts?

Thanks
I have the Bushido and have never had an issue. I do feel the power readings are a smidge on the low side, either that or I ride harder when I'm outside. Not sure about the software issues, I've never heard of anything, but it could be the calibration app that is needed like stated above.

If you're considering dropping the cash on a Kikr, I'd look into a Tacx Neo, for slightly more you get the advantage of road feel.

Back to the topic of Zwift, anyone see this? I'm considering trying it out just so I can climb Pretzel Mtn when everyone else is stuck in London.
Safely modify prefs.xml with zwift-preferences - ZwiftBlog

Old 11-07-16, 02:58 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

That's cool. I really don't like the London course at all.
Old 11-07-16, 03:39 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
That's cool. I really don't like the London course at all.
Yeah, Watopia is still my favorite. Climbing the mountain to the tower and then rolling all the way back down the hill takes me just over an hour which is a good workout when I'm in a hurry. You get a little warmup as you roll to the hill, and then a cool down as you go down.

I'm hoping they hook us up with a course extension or a new course sometime soon now that winter is coming and more people are riding inside.

Last edited by SpeshulEd; 11-07-16 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-07-16, 04:04 PM
BounceCT

Bikes: 2010 Eddy Merckx EMX-5, 2011 Trek 1.5, Cannondale Topstone SE 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a stay at home parent for the past year, I've got a lot out of Zwift during the little one's naps! close to 3,000 miles since March.
Old 11-07-16, 04:16 PM
PepeM

Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
I'm hoping they hook us up with a course extension or a new course sometime soon now that winter is coming and more people are riding inside.
Extension should be coming some time soon. Not sure how soon soon is though.

I like the three courses but Watopia is definitely the best.
Old 11-07-16, 05:10 PM
C_Heath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Im really liking it. I use to hop on the trainer and die within 30 minutes of boredom. Still using the dumb trainer but the new one is in the works. Still trying to learn all the ins and outs tho. So far, all Ive done is just logged miles, not entered a race. I just need miles. Today the sun was behind the trees on my way home from the office. by 5:40, it was dark. I hate that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.