Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

LHT Build - Priorities

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

LHT Build - Priorities

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-05, 01:41 PM
dwightonabike
My Duty to Ride

Bikes: Giant Iguana 650 utility bike, Surly LHT, Trek TopFuel 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LHT Build - Priorities

I just received my new Surly LHT frame! Now all I have to do is build it up. I don't mind spending the $ for good parts when needed, but would prefer to be frugal when possible. In your opinions, what components need to be of the highest quality, and when is it OK to go with a cheaper option?
Old 05-23-05, 01:48 PM
48x16
Geriatric Member

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to know this as well, as I plan on buying a LHT within a couple of months.
Old 05-23-05, 01:54 PM
ispoke
----------

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good grief - the discussion is endless - based mainly on your priorities. But if you truly are trying to hold a budget, then maybe focus expenditures on components that really give you performance or comfort (not just looks or light weight). Spend it on a saddle by all means. Have your LBS fit you up and recommend the proper stem length and handlebar reach/drop. Regarding good performance, I feel that the XT rear derailleur on my energy sink (mtb) shifts very much better than the triple Ultegra rear-D on my road bike. So now that I'm planning a new touring bike build-up, I'm splurging on a long cage XT rear-D. That said, perhaps some of my dissatisfaction comes from the STI shift lever performance, and maybe the Ultegra derailleur isn't so bad if it weren't for the levers?

Oh - good wheels are a must. If you don't have good quality, hand built wheels, you might as well pedal a Huffy.

Anyway, it seems like you could economize on other items such as front-D, canti brakes, crankset. There's so much NOS (new old stock) for sale on the internet...
Old 05-23-05, 02:12 PM
dwightonabike
My Duty to Ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little more info I should have included: I am a rather large guy (275lbs) and as such, I tend to go through chains, freewheels and chainrings pretty quickly. I am looking for durability, not lightness (what's a few extra pounds when you already weigh what I do?) or looks.
Old 05-23-05, 02:15 PM
gregw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would think there would be some savings buying a parts group; shimano XT, LX whatever from nashbar or performance. This of course won't work if you are a fan of bar-end/downtube shifters, canti-brakes or wooden wheels.
Old 05-25-05, 09:42 AM
Schumius
senile member

Bikes: 1 mtb converted for commuting (actually, collecting dust in the garage), a LHT with "durable components"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say,

XT hubs
Sun Rhyno rims
Sugino XD cranks
SRAM chains, I also use SRAM cassette 7 speed (12-32), but converted to 8 (replace the 4.5mm spacer to a 11)

about the rest I think there´re not much big differences/importance, just personal preferences.
Old 05-25-05, 06:51 PM
rvdv

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Just finished building my LHT, strong wheelset the most important to me, I used Mavic A719, 36h Xt hubs, and DT Revolution double butted spokes. The next was the saddle, Brooks B-17. The rest of the bike I outfitted with XT long cage rear derailleur, Sram 11-32 cassette, Sram chain, Avid Shorty 6 brakes,Sks fenders, and stuff I had lying around, 105 front derailleur, 105 STI shifters, Shimano RSX crankset 46-36-26 . I am using a set of Conti Top Touring 2000 for the tires 700 x 37, the bike rides down the road so smoooooth, no squeeks, rattles, creaking etc. Very happy!
Old 05-25-05, 07:33 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
48 spoke phil woods laced to some tandem rims like Velocity Dyads would be my first choice if I were you, and then a Brooks Champion Flyer for cush.

I think it's all pretty basic but what do I know? You can get a touring crankset with steel chainrings for durability (forget the maker) and run an 8 speed instead of 9 in back because 8 speed is said to last longer.

I can't tell the diff between my XT and LX rear derailleurs except in finish and jockey wheels, but the XT front derailleur has an extra cable pivot for more leverage and smoother shifting compared to the LX.

Have fun with your LHT, I think you'll like it once you get it dialed in. One last thing - though not a build issue, but an extra- I just put a twin leg ESGE kickstand on my LHT, it fits without much hassle and will become indespensible on tours in the long run. I recommend it.
Old 05-26-05, 10:56 PM
markw
Steel is Real.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't do Shimano brifters. Get Campy's, or go with barcons or dt shifters. Nashbar sells the Campy Centaur 10spd Ergos for 130 all the time. Catch them in stock and you'll be ok. Then get a jtek shiftmate. https://www.jtekengineering.com As for wheels, 36 or more spokes at your weight. Crankset Sugino XD 26/36/46. Saddle, of course nothing but a brooks.
Check my sig for pics of the way one should be built.
Old 05-27-05, 12:10 AM
roadfix
hello

Liked 132 Times in 59 Posts
You can definitely get by with cheap generic seatpost and stem.
Old 05-28-05, 11:49 AM
debudebu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While touring I've had problems with hubs going bad, hands and wrists hurting, and butt hurt. I would spend money on good wheels, especially if you'll be carrying a lot of weight. for 119$ you can get a good touring wheelset from https://sheldonbrown.com/harris/wheels.html
if you have lots of money you could look at this page:
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/wheels.asp
also, check out these handlebars! you can adjust their position. maybe i'm the only one excited about them.
https://www.wallbike.com/oddsnends/synergic.html?id=4420
a good saddle and good suspension seatpost would also be a good investment. i still haven't found the right one, but i'm not as excited about brookes saddles as some people are.
any drivetrain should work, as long as you have the gears you want. i think more expensive shimano components are lighter but not really stronger.
Old 05-28-05, 03:27 PM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dwightonabike
A little more info I should have included: I am a rather large guy (275lbs) and as such, I tend to go through chains, freewheels and chainrings pretty quickly. I am looking for durability, not lightness (what's a few extra pounds when you already weigh what I do?) or looks.
I suggest 36 spoke XT hubs, attached to some quality rims of course. Should be more than strong enough, and last through years of use...

Also, barcons, barcons, barcons I love my SunTour friction shifters, with the Shimano 105 cassette and LX derailers, the bike shifts so smoothly I forget it's not indexed!
Old 05-28-05, 05:34 PM
rusht8205

Bikes: mtn bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dwight - you might want to check out the following forum

https://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95

This is the "Clydesdale Forum" for guys like you and me that need a little bit heavier duty components than our "smaller" counter-parts

Tom
Old 06-23-05, 12:31 PM
dwightonabike
My Duty to Ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Made a little progress now. Deore LX bottom bracket/crankset/chainring combo. Cheapo seatpost, a Brooks B17 saddle, and a race face headset. I just ordered a 36 hole XT front hub and a ATB LX rear hub (found a good price). Now I have to choose rims. What rim widths do most go with? Planning on splitting my time day touring, some long distance, and commuting. Thanks for everyone's help, I can't wait to be done! Special thanks to the Clydesdale Forum tip, rusht!
Old 06-23-05, 12:53 PM
Schumius
senile member

Bikes: 1 mtb converted for commuting (actually, collecting dust in the garage), a LHT with "durable components"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I don't know the width of my rim, just use the only rhyno lite I can get my hands on. Ah, I said Rhyno Lite before in my earlier post, sorry, didn't notice that.

Last edited by Schumius; 06-23-05 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-23-05, 07:10 PM
michaelnel
Macaws Rock!

Bikes: 2005 Soma Doublecross

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I found a pair of NOS Mavic T519 rims at a LBS at a good price, and laced them to a set of 36 hole XT hubs I had laying around here, used Wheelsmith and DT double butted spokes. It's a very strong wheelset that should last for years. I built them a couple weeks ago with the intention of building an LHT, but now I'm not sure I'm going to do that so I have them on my commuter hybrid.

I'm thinking I don't really have the time (I get NO paid vacation where I work) to be able to do any long distance loaded touring, so I'm thinking maybe to build a cross bike as an all-rounder instead.

Not much point in having a loaded touring capable bike if I can't go do loaded touring.

San Francisco, California
Old 06-24-05, 09:21 AM
dwightonabike
My Duty to Ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Michaelnel,
be optomistic! A LHT will last decades, always hold out hope that you will be able to tour in the not-too-distant future!
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Still trying to decide on good rims at an affordable price.