Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tell me about Tommasini

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Tell me about Tommasini

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 08:41 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 657 Times in 235 Posts
Tell me about Tommasini

So tell me about them. Please. I'm curious. Facts? Opinions?
Old 01-09-17, 09:43 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 250 Posts
They are Italian, need I say more? I own a Sintesi and a Super Prestige. Both are very well made, nice riding bikes.
Old 01-09-17, 09:47 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 911 Posts
"Fancy" bikes.
Old 01-10-17, 01:46 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 357 Posts
Yes, they are.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 01-10-17, 05:41 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Well, I was hoping to learn something about models, years, handling compared to other bikes, typical components, available as complete bike and/or frame-only, that sort of thing. I figured better to ask here than to ask on some Internet site.
Old 01-10-17, 06:28 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Well, I was hoping to learn something about models, years, handling compared to other bikes, typical components, available as complete bike and/or frame-only, that sort of thing. I figured better to ask here than to ask on some Internet site.
Jim,

Use the search tool.

There is a thread called Tommasini Lounge started by a friend called Thirdgenbird.

Dozens of high quality pages about the brand.

Also, you could find the thread we started about the build plan for my Super Prestige.

Chock full of info.
Old 01-10-17, 06:36 AM
toavii

Bikes: 1989 Tommasini Super Prestige, 1985 Chris Kvale, 1977 Colnago Super, 1992 Serotta Colorado, 1984 Schwinn Cimarron

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
I have Grady's late 80s Super Prestige. Ridden nothing like it and have gone through several bikes. Extremely stable at high speeds/descents. Seems to beg for more than I'll ever be able to produce. I love throwing it in and out of bends on a long, curvy descent near my house on a route I ride. More or less the proving ground for finished bikes I come across.

I'd recommend them to anyone that wants a go fast bike. Can get them with paint as flashy as anything out there or more subdued. Have a friend who's building up another Super Prestige I sold to him with all modern Super Record 11. Will throw a picture of mine up later today.

Last edited by toavii; 01-10-17 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-10-17, 07:07 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,049 Times in 1,884 Posts
Even though he had been building frames under his own name since 1957 (with a brief hiatus in the early 1960s), they did not become well known in the USA until the late 1970s, when Wm. Lewis started importing them. They are highly regarded for their workmanship and finish.

Sport: Columbus Aelle or Oria, depending on year.
Tretubi:Columbus SL main tubes
Racing: Columbus SL, Cromor or Thron, depending on era
Prestige: Columbus SL or Brain, depending on era
Air Prestige: Columbus SL modified to aero or Columbus Air, depending on year
CX Prestige: Columbus SL with sloping top tube
Super Prestige: Columbus SLX
Competizone SL: Columbus SL
Diamante: Columbus MS
Velocista: Columbus MAX
Tecno: Colombus EL OS
Tecno Extra: Columbus Genius
Tecno TIG: TIG welded Columbus Genius
Tecno Light: Columbus Nemo
Premier Alloy Extra: Columbus Altec
Premier Alloy Light: Columbus Altec2
Mach: 3-2.5 Titanium

From a ride standpoint, I have always found Tommasini to be consistent with other high end Italian machines of their eras. I doubt most could tell the difference. However, many are attracted by the aesthetics. Irio was always at the forefront in terms of finish. His were some of the first bicycles I'd seen in retinato and marble finishes. My favourite is the Allesandro purple fasde to white paint scheme of the early 1990s. He also held onto some of the old school manufacturing techniques longer than others, such as the use of pressed versus investment cast lugs. Like most of the high end Italian marques, they were available as framesets and complete bicycles.

Last edited by T-Mar; 01-10-17 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-10-17, 07:16 AM
bassogap

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale R5000 1986 Basso Gap(Super Record) 1986 Schwinn Voyager SP 1975 Schwinn Paramount Track Bike 1974 Raleigh RRA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the first thing to come to mind is "pretty, but WAY over-decorated"
Old 01-10-17, 07:18 AM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 201 Posts
Well, the cool thing about Tommasini is that they are still making them the same way as always. You should give Greg at Red Rose Imports a call and have a chat about what you have in mind
Old 01-10-17, 07:38 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
@jimmuller, are you considering a build with one of their framesets? Just asking as I am looking at two of their offerings for the next project here.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-10-17, 07:53 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by gomango
Use the search tool.

There is a thread called Tommasini Lounge started by a friend called Thirdgenbird.
Ah, thanks. I do recall seeing that thread title. Should've remembered. As for searching, that's what some of us in the software business call meta-work, which to say work about the work. It ain't the work itself, and I'd much rather get right to the work! It beats poking around some Internet site.
Old 01-10-17, 08:02 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
@jimmuller, are you considering a build with one of their framesets? Just asking as I am looking at two of their offerings for the next project here.
Hi, Bill. I was thinking about it. More accurately, I was thinking about whether to embark on a winter project. (Like I really need another bicycle. Oh wait, I forgot, this is C&V.) And if I did, what sort of project it should be. Another high-end Italian? A traditional-oriented English? Discount under-appreciated stealth bike? Already have those areas covered, but I do enjoy the building process.

So I've been considering a particular Tommasini frame that speaks to me. It looks to be mid-to-late 80's, I think, haven't compared details to models yet. Could even be early 80's. 130mm spacing though and I have nothing in the bins for that and no experience with it. So I don't understand everything it says.

Last edited by jimmuller; 01-10-17 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-10-17, 08:06 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Sport: Columbus Aelle or Oria, depending on year.
Tretubi:Columbus SL main tubes
Racing: Columbus SL, Cromor or Thron, depending on era
Prestige: Columbus SL or Brain, depending on era
Air Prestige: Columbus SL modified to aero or Columbus Air, depending on year
CX Prestige: Columbus SL with sloping top tube
Super Prestige: Columbus SLX
Competizone SL: Columbus SL
Diamante: Columbus MS
Velocista: Columbus MAX
Tecno: Colombus EL OS
Tecno Extra: Columbus Genius
Tecno TIG: TIG welded Columbus Genius
Tecno Light: Columbus Nemo
Premier Alloy Extra: Columbus Altec
Premier Alloy Light: Columbus Altec2
Mach: 3-2.5 Titanium
Thank you.
Old 01-10-17, 10:38 AM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Regarding typical components, my understanding is that for many years it was only the frame sets that were imported, and the bikes were built up by either the shop or the buyer. In the late 70s and early 80s, that meant Campagnolo drivetrain and brakes, and Cinelli stem/bars, but not always. I've seen comments from people wanting to build up a Tommasini "the way it left the factory", or saying things like "a Tommasini would never have left the factory with Shimano/Suntour/Dura Ace," but that's not really how it worked in the early years.

Regarding models, Tommasini seems to have taken more of a craftsman approach than a factory approach up until the mid 1980s. By that I mean that it seems that many did not have specific model designations with decals and a catalogue to differentiate them. It's often difficult to be really sure what you have in terms of model, and being sure of the year of the build is sometimes impossible. The use of various lug styles, forks, graphics, and other build details was also fluid, and so certain attributes point to 'eras' more than model years. In the early years, some bottom brackets had some cryptic numbers stamped on them, many did not, and I haven't seen any pattern there. Basically, there's no database to look up a given frame to find model and year.

Oh, and there's the common practice of repainting and using inappropriate decals. Since Tommasini's have good resale, if they're in great shape, it leads to some sellers doing some renaming. For example, I've seen a 'Racing' model repainted in a better color and relabeled a 'Prestige'. That's basically a distinction without real difference, but still something I find annoying.

The Tommasini factory used to give rough dating and model info upon request, but it's apparent that they didn't keep great records, and some of the 'factory verified' info that you see in old threads is clearly wrong. It's been a fun side project for me, as I refurbish my Tommasini, to try to figure out the frame build date. I've narrowed it down, with copious help from T-Mar, to 1982-1983, and I continue to check out other Tommasini's that show up for sale to add to my own data base and confirm my assumptions.

And yes, a lot of Tommasini's are garish and over the top. But many are beautifully subtle, with superb finish. Especially the early ones. I love the 'fishnet' paint jobs, as well as the more subtle graphics used up till the mid-80s. Oh, and the decals on Tommasini's are amazing. Mine was painted with a hot new paint from the early 80s, which faded badly (every metallic red early 80s Tommisini I've seen has significant UV fading), and it has a fair number of paint chips from being ridden long hours in the Texas sun. The paint looks like hell, but the decals (except for the Columbus decal) are intact. And fortunately the entire bike is chromed, so the paint chips haven't lead to rust except from superficial stuff where the old Silca pump rattled against the top tube paint and likely trapped some sweat.

As for ride, I only have a couple of hours in the saddle (with a worn out BB) and I loved the ride. I realize the tubular tires are part of that, but I'm very much looking forward to getting it back on the road (I put in the new BB yesterday).

I wouldn't worry about the 130 mm rear -- it's easy to cold set an early 80s bike to 130, and a lot of people don't even bother with that. The biggest difference I see between early '80s and late '80s (besides increasingly jazzy paint/graphics) is the move to the rear brake cable to internal routing. And the introduction of SLX and other tubing choices.
Old 01-10-17, 01:33 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
I have a Tecno Extra that is lugged at the seat tube and TIG everywhere else. Genius differential shaped tubing. Probably late 90's with an 11 speed Ultegra group and nice wheels. It gets the most saddle time after my Atlanta. I lust after the purple Tecno owned by @thirdgenbird and I think he has said it's never leaving his stable. Is that still true?

To the OP. Go for it. I am a Shimano guy but some modern alloy Campy bits would be tasty on the frame.

Old 01-10-17, 01:41 PM
rgver

Bikes: 1 frame and a heap of pieces

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My biggest cycling regret is selling my Competizione. A beautiful bike to look at and wonderful ride
Old 01-10-17, 03:15 PM
toavii

Bikes: 1989 Tommasini Super Prestige, 1985 Chris Kvale, 1977 Colnago Super, 1992 Serotta Colorado, 1984 Schwinn Cimarron

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Below is the 89 Super Prestige with SLX tubing. Built up by thirdgen and Grady. 10sp Centaur and Neutron wheels. I like the drizzled paint.

Then a slightly new SLX Super Prestige that I moved to a friend. He's nearly done with his build with new Super Record 11. Looks like a hot rod, love it. Will have to get a photo when complete.

I wouldn't be concerned about the 130 spacing. Hell, I'd embrace it. Plug and play groups from the UK would make a fun winter build. Look for, or build, an appropriate wheelset stateside. Would have a spectacular ride, built how you want, that could rival most anything you could get new in stores now.
Old 01-10-17, 03:40 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
I've had a lot of Italian bikes, and Tommasini are among the best.

From my experience, I would say that they are extremely quick handling, but yet stable. I sold the last of My Tommasini's just because I felt that it didn't offer anything beyond my De Rosa's and Cinelli's. It certainly was every bit as good as them, and that's saying something.

In your position, I would certainly pick it up and do a more modern build.

This was my long gone Super Prestige:

Likes For jiangshi:
Old 01-10-17, 04:13 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4382 Post(s)
Liked 3,054 Times in 1,653 Posts
I have nothing to add but these scans from my files.

Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 01-10-17, 05:24 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
To add to T-Mar's list, I would add a 1993ish Sintesi with SLX New.

I have a one that's ready to be built.

I've also owned another Sintesi frameset that was ELOS.

A forum member from Velocipede Salon bought that when he saw it on my Flickr.

It was a dazzler.

When I was in Tuscany for our anniversary, I visited the Tommasini factory and met some of the family.

There was a smallish retail front and a factory in the back.

We talked about the two Sintesi's and they were reminded of the black ELOS frameset.

They made exactly two of those.....

BTW Some think that these are too flashy, but not to my eyes.

They ride beautifully, every one I've owned.
Likes For gomango:
Old 01-10-17, 07:13 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I have nothing to add but these scans from my files.

It's interesting that in a 1985 ad for Tommasinis, the two frame types are identified as "Racing" and "SLX" at a time when those bikes were wearing "Prestige" and "Super Prestige" decals (you can even see the decal in the photo). It's no wonder it's so confusing tracking down the model and year. [Edit: at least I think it says Prestige or Super Prestige on the top tube. I think every 'Racing' Tommasini I've seen had the decal on the chain stay, and every 'Prestige' or 'Super Prestige' had the decal on the top tube. But maybe I've missed some]

Which reminds me, I've never seen anything to suggest that Tommasini played around with different geometries (unless a bike was a special order). For their road bikes, the variations all seem to be about tubing type, with the exception to nods towards "aerodynamic" versions (which are almost identical to the non-aero versions!). Am I wrong about that? My guess is that they all tend to ride in a similar way, because they were hand-built in a similar way, with various high-quality light-weight tubing.

Last edited by Kevindale; 01-10-17 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 09:51 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
I know they come up fairly often in Az, Domenic's had a deal with them to put his Domenic's Strada team decals and panto on them. He also did that with Masi, he must have had some pull as I don't see many racers that have been able to do that for their shop. And it must say something about them being good bikes.
Old 01-11-17, 06:23 AM
daf1009

Bikes: LESS than I did a year ago!

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have had a couple...loved the ride of both of them...one of my current main riding bikes is a Super Prestige..."Ghostrider"...as it is white with some nice detailing! If you are still thinking about, just go for it...sounds like you will enjoy the build...and there is, IMHO, no doubt you will love the ride! I actually bought Ghost as a flip (got it for $400, fully outfitted with Campy)...but...took one ride and she was MINE! ALL MINE! NO ONE ELSE BUT MINE! :-)
Old 01-11-17, 06:43 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 490 Times in 259 Posts
I like to distinguish italian brands in this way: There are the big three - Bianchi, Legnano, Atala. Those are huge factories building the full range from kids bikes, utility bikes etc up to racing bikes. All had at some point scuderias.
Then there are the typical "shop brands" - a lager single bike store which will sell bikes under its own names. Too many to count. They have local reach and usually don't produce themselves but sell branded bikes, very often made by the big OEMs like Biemmezeta or Billato.

Then there are the "manufactories" - larger shops with a more than local reach and also often a racing pedigree: for example Pinarello, Wilier, Cinelli, Colnago etc.
Last not least the framebuilders: Smaller shops who build their own frames. These often have distinguishing features (i.e. it might be possible to tell what make a frame is even if there are no decals or no paint). Some are very small, even one-man shows, others are quite large and the boundary to the manufactories becomes a bit vague.
Of these, Tommasini is one of the medium-to-larger ones, i'd put them in a line with Scapin, Gios, Casati, Chesini or Grandis. Irio is a fine man and a gentleman. We met him at the short-lived "european handmade bicycle expo" and when he found out that of our group of 7-8 enthusiasts, 3 had brought their own Tommasinis, he bought coffee for all of us
Likes For martl:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.