Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

WV - Greenbrier river trail

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-17, 09:30 AM
pghchico

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hopefully this is the correct sub-forum to place this.

Wife and i are planning to ride part of the Greenbrier river trail in WV. Staying in Marlinton, then riding north one day and then south the next day. We haven't been there in 20years. I just would like some info on the trail condition currently. Last we were there parts were washed out, and the one tunnel we had to carry the bikes.
what is the trail surface like ? is it rideable on a hybrid type bike with say 700x35 tires no suspension.

right now the plan is marlinton to Clover Lick, and then Marlinton to Seebert.
Old 01-31-17, 10:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18529 Post(s)
Liked 15,884 Times in 7,456 Posts
Greenbrier River Trail

Message about a part of the trail being closed due to the June flooding.
Old 01-31-17, 12:47 PM
pghchico

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. i don't think this will effect our plans. we wil be between MP45 and MP71
Old 01-31-17, 01:12 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I rode the entire Greenbrier River trail in the summer of 2015 and the northern part again that fall, before all of the flooding. My understanding is that the worst flooding was toward the southern end of the trail, and that section will probably be closed for a long time.

Marlinton is the best town to base a ride from. The trail surface is very rideable on tires 32 mm or wider, but there are sections that can get muddy if there's been a lot of rain. Heading north from Marlinton, it's about a 50-mile round trip to the end at Cass and back. You can get food and drinks at the general store in Cass. Heading south, you'll be able to go as far as the trail is still open, but there are few if any places to get food or drinks. I would recommend carrying as much food and water as needed on that section of the trail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
greenbrier 3.jpg (99.3 KB, 159 views)
greenbrier 4.jpg (97.8 KB, 154 views)
greenbrier 5.jpg (97.4 KB, 154 views)
greenbrier 6.jpg (98.3 KB, 154 views)
Greenbrier.7.jpg (83.3 KB, 180 views)
Old 01-31-17, 01:15 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Here's what I rode on the Greenbrier Trail -- Soma Saga with 33 mm Clement LAS tires.
Attached Images
Old 01-31-17, 02:12 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18529 Post(s)
Liked 15,884 Times in 7,456 Posts
Great to see some photos. Over the years I have toyed with riding it as part of ACA's Allegheny Mountains Loop. Have the maps have always wondered what the trail looked like.
Old 02-01-17, 01:41 PM
pghchico

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thankyou Tarwheel, great pictures !! My one concern was water along the trail, i think for the distance we are planning we should be fine carrying what we need. i have been ridding with a camelbak and i have yet to empty it on a ride. some people don't like ridding with one but I dont even notice it. Your pictures really make me want it to be april/may now so we can go. 20 years ago when we went we stayed at the Jericho B&B , we are planning on going there again, they made a lot of changes since then to the place.
Old 02-01-17, 04:05 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
I really enjoyed the Greenbrier. Tarwheel mentions staring from Marlinton but there is no reason to not start from Cass.

Water is an enormous problem on the trail. The only places you will find water is in the towns. Cass, Marlinton and Watoga State Park. There might be one or two other places but not much. I don't recall pumps anywhere.

Pack a lunch. Pretty much everything is a steep climb to get something to eat. Including the climb to the hotdog man.

There is a warmshowers host along the trail. If you can't find her name let me know and I can try and find her name in my warmshowers inbox. She can give you an update on the flooding in the area.

Just a couple of tips. Be aware that there are dogs that run loose on various portions of the trail. Also there is horse riding on the lower sections. The best thing you can do is just get off the bike and wait for them to pass by.
Attached Images
IMG_1454.JPG (61.5 KB, 132 views)
Old 02-01-17, 04:18 PM
tarwheel 

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Another option you might consider is the Virginia Creeper Trail, which runs a bout 35-40 miles from Abingdon, VA, to the top of Whitetop Mtn. When I have ridden that, we stayed in Damascus, VA, which is near the halfway point. One day we ride from Damascus to White Top and back, and the other day we ride to Abingdon and back. Both rides end up being about 35 miles roundtrip. I have ridden that route in the spring a couple of times and it is beautiful then, with flowers blooming and trees just beginning to leaf out. There are a lot more options for food and lodging in Damascus and Abingdon than anywhere along the Greenbrier trail. The Creeper trail is in great shape.
Old 02-01-17, 05:46 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
IMHO, the best camping on the trail is at the city park in Marlinton. Park is right next to the river so there is a great place to take a dip on a hot summer day.

I remember when I called for checking on camping and directions to the park. I mentioned that I would be riding the trail on my bicycle. The lady that answered the phone listed off this long list of directions. I imagined the park being tucked somewhere in the center of town.

On the day into Marlinton, my touring partner beat me into town. He was standing in front of a sign, blocking the sign. I told him I need to get the directions to the park. I pulled out my long list. My friend had moved a bit and I could see the word park. I asked him to move. There was the sign. Marlinton City Park. The park is right off of the bike trail! No idea why the woman on the phone did not tell me that.
Old 02-01-17, 08:30 PM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
@ tarwheel
you really capture the Greenbrier in this one, well done

https://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...0&d=1485889970
Old 02-01-17, 08:32 PM
tarwheel 

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pghchico
Thankyou Tarwheel, great pictures !! My one concern was water along the trail, i think for the distance we are planning we should be fine carrying what we need. i have been ridding with a camelbak and i have yet to empty it on a ride. some people don't like ridding with one but I dont even notice it. Your pictures really make me want it to be april/may now so we can go. 20 years ago when we went we stayed at the Jericho B&B , we are planning on going there again, they made a lot of changes since then to the place.
We stayed at the Old Clark Inn and Locust Hill Inn during our visits. The Clark is less expensive and very basic, and the Locust Hill is very nice with great food. There are campsites about every 15 miles along the trail.
Old 02-01-17, 08:39 PM
tarwheel 

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Great to see some photos. Over the years I have toyed with riding it as part of ACA's Allegheny Mountains Loop. Have the maps have always wondered what the trail looked like.
Let me know if you need a riding partner. That would be a tough ride with lots of climbing and you would need to detour past the southern end of the Greenbrier trail. I have thought about it after reading ride descriptions on the Crazy Guy site.
Old 02-01-17, 09:35 PM
at_hiker59

Bikes: mtn. bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Water!

There are well pumps at most campsites along the GRT.
So unless you are biking during the winter, water is no problem.
I never had a problem with dogs either. Did see a bobcat & a couple of snakes on the trail.
I've done the trail four times different years.

The Dirt Bean in Marlinton is a great place to get food.
There's a couple of other cafes there too. I had an all-u-can-eat dinner at a church in town.
The park south of town in the summer had a lot of picnickers.
I didn't have to Yogi - they called me over to partake their feasts.

Last edited by at_hiker59; 02-03-17 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-02-17, 06:04 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Thanks, this is not to far away. I would love to do the GR trail. I've done the Creeper from White Rock down to Damascus, but now that I have a good bike, may try the trail to Abingdon.
Old 02-02-17, 09:46 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Quoted: 2629 Post(s)
Liked 1,979 Times in 1,238 Posts
I think the trail from Abingdon to Damascus is generally in better shape than the Whitetop stretch, plus you get views of the mountains (Holston Mt., Mt. Rogers and Whitetop) from the western stretch. Paradoxically, you're too close to the mountains to see them from the Abingdon-Whitetop section. But if you go in May when the rhododendron are blooming, head for the mountains!
Old 04-26-17, 12:55 PM
pghchico

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So Wife and I road the Green Brier trail on April 21,22,23 We stayed in the town of Marlinton at the Jerico B&B. If your into Civil war stuff they have several cabins that date to Civil war era that you can stay in. The trail itself is kind of a 2 lane crushed gravel, not quite as smooth as the crushed limestones rail trails, but smooth enough for my 1.5" tires to roll on. the first day we went 20 miles north, The biggest feature being Sharp tunnel and bridge. the second day we went about 10 miles south starting in Marlinton and going to Seebert. there is a nice general store there to get a drink and snack. has a porch to take a little break on. The 3rd day we just did about 5 miles, just to see Droop mtn tunnel. which is about 25miles from Marlinton.

If you go down, be sure to go to the Green Bank Radio Telescope. Very cool and interesting place.
Attached Images
20170421_132415.jpg (19.2 KB, 78 views)
20170423_111753.jpg (19.4 KB, 78 views)
20170422_111242.jpg (20.2 KB, 78 views)
part0.jpg (92.1 KB, 79 views)
Old 08-27-18, 09:27 AM
mikeoclt

Bikes: Old like me: 2004 Lemond Buenos Aires, 1991 Stumpjumper, 1992 Trek 930, Vicious Cycles Motivator SS, Novara Mazama

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone ridden it lately?
I'm planning on Cass to Caldwell mid Sep & was curious about trail conditions. I'll be riding a Novara Mazama with 700x42c tires