Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Organizing a casual group ride

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-17, 06:44 AM
StoneFence

Bikes: Jamis Satellite Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hope this is the right place to post this.

I am interested in organizing a group ride from my LBS or near it. There is close access to a rail trail.

So, where does one start?
Old 02-20-17, 06:56 AM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Many shops organize rides for free. The best place to start is to call around and ask. If not, ask if they'll let you set up a sign-up sheet. In my area, there are three local clubs to ride with. I ride with a club that's strictly social, although there are racing clubs as well. Or post in your local FB page looking for others who might be interested.
Old 02-20-17, 04:35 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Facebook is a great way to network with other cyclists and find a niche that other cyclists might be interested in. Identify the niche that seems right for you and the folks who might be interested, then set up a Facebook page for it. Write up a brief description, schedule rides and just be there in case anyone shows up. As your network expands, word gets out.

And Facebook does pretty well at suggesting stuff like this to other folks locally based on their posted interests. That magical FB algorithm thingie is how I found out about local group rides. I didn't actively seek out any groups. But as I posted stuff about my return to cycling after a 30 year hiatus to chatter with friends, FB began suggesting local events that might interest me. As I began to participate and make more FB contacts, more and more suggested events popped up on my news feed. There are many cycling events in my area and state that I wasn't aware of before social media networking did it's thing.

There are several cycling groups in my area that schedule weekly and monthly rides to suit just about anyone. Due to my schedule I mostly participate in night riding groups. But there are breakfast club rides, very leisurely family rides, nighttime pub crawls, fast paced road and gravel rides, monthly critical mass rides, pretty much something for everyone. And some duplication for folks who don't like to drive far.

The real key may be to just be there. Once you announce a group, stick to the schedule, even if nobody else shows up. And plan on starting later than announced. Most groups I ride with actually begin riding 30-60 minutes later than announced, mostly to give plenty of time to folks who are just getting off work and have to negotiate traffic. But if you and your planned group are early risers you may prefer to start more promptly.
Old 02-20-17, 06:23 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by StoneFence

I am interested in organizing a group ride from my LBS or near it. There is close access to a rail trail.

Originally Posted by canklecat
The real key may be to just be there. Once you announce a group, stick to the schedule, even if nobody else shows up. And plan on starting later than announced. Most groups I ride with actually begin riding 30-60 minutes later than announced, mostly to give plenty of time to folks who are just getting off work and have to negotiate traffic. But if you and your planned group are early risers you may prefer to start more promptly.
Every time I read a thread of this type, I think to myself that line from old Mickey Rooney / Judy Garland movies, “Hey kids, Let’s put on a show.” FWIW, my usual reply is:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Captain Bringdown replying here, as I do to other threads of a similar nature, about the question of LIABILITY for the other riders.

I’m a decades long cycling enthusiast including as a year-round cycle commuter in Boston, riding occasional centuries, pretty frequent poster to Bike Forums, and I was once hit from behind by a distracted driver on a safe residential street, and off work for three months.

For a few years I have participated in various informal Annual Fifty-Plus Forum “Fun” Rides held around the country. These Rides are almost always held in conjunction with an organized Ride sponsored by a formal, structured bicycle club or other such group, with a insurance indemnification, and requiring a waiver to participate….

Your group seems to be heading towards an identifiable structure with...Facebook group, scheduled rides, and inviting new (and less-skilled) cyclists on an organized activity. Perhaps I’m overstating your situation,but have you considered liability issues of such an activity? I’m not a lawyer, but am in a high risk profession for lawsuits.

Along this line, besides legal liability there certainly would be a guilt trip if someone on a ride promoted by you would be injured. FWIW, I’m not advocatin’against, just sayin’
The first of these several Fifty-Plus Annual Rides was actually one organized by a BF member by himself, DnvrFox who soon realized these liability issues.

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Having personally been involved in 2 lawsuits I have some pretty good knowledge of what happens when a person is injured and a lawsuit ensues. Believe me, it is NOT pleasant on either side, and consumes tremendous amounts of energy, effort and money.

I believe that our proposed 50+ annual ride in Glenwood next year has progressed beyond a simple gathering together into a more formal "ride."

I.e.,
1. Wehave labeled it publicly as a "ride."

2. I have specifically designated a ride route(s).

3. We have a specific time.

4. I have advertised it widely on BFN 50+. and I believe that other folks have advertised it in other venues, in one way or another.

A usual response to this kind of issue is, "Oh, we are all friends, and no one would EVER sue if they were injured."

WRONG

The problem is, the costs involved in rehabilitiation and medical care are SO HUGE that a person suffering an injury really has NO CHOICE in the matter. Unless they are independently wealthy, or have the world's best insurance, they MUST seek funds from other sources. Take an uninsured emergency room visit. Costs for one day are generally about $12,000.00.

Liability insurance has a 2 fold aspect. One, it protects the person(s) sponsoring the event; and two, it helps assure that the person injured by someone else's supposed negligence can be treated and cared for…

Waivers, if carefully and appropriately written, can be helpful, but no waiver will excuse proven negligent behavior on the part of others...

This is not a pleasant topic, but it is one that must be approached

Even if NOT liable, the costs of defending one's self are tremendous. Liability can only be determined by a court. An entity does not have to be liable to be sued. But, they still must bear the costs of defending against the suit, unless proven that the suit is frivolous ...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-20-17 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-20-17, 08:36 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

If you're that concerned about liability have an attorney draw up a waiver appropriate for your state or locale.

But if we worried about liability for every social occasion to the extent that we allowed fear to deter us from participation there would be no live theater produced and performed by local volunteers, and in general it would be the death of a community.

I fell during a nighttime group ride early in February and experienced a pretty painful rib injury. That's on me. I'm responsible for my own bicycling, my own momentary lapse in attention that led to the fall, and my own health care needs.

If my accident had injured another rider or person I'd be responsible for that. If a driver strikes and injures me due to his/her own negligence, that driver is responsible. That's why we have mandatory automobile liability insurance. And if the minimum liability coverage doesn't pay for all of my medical expenses, legally that's my responsibility.

Our local group rides, particularly the critical mass rides, always begin with instructions about safety, who the designated traffic safety cyclists are, etc.

Occasionally someone, usually a new rider, will ignore those instructions and ignore the reminders from the traffic safety riders. If they persist they're invited to leave and not return to future rides.
Old 02-20-17, 08:47 PM
StoneFence

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you

I asked at the shop where I bought my bike if they had shop rides. It's basically a sole proprietorship, so the owner doesn't really have the time to do the organizing.

I'm looking at routes, safety, liability, support, time, dates and distance. I would hope to attract families.

All ideas are helpful!
Old 02-21-17, 12:10 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Routes.
Get a GPS cycling app for a smart phone, and/or paper map, to record every ride and ride around solo or with a partner until you find routes that are suited to casual group rides. Strava is pretty much the standard. The main advantage to Strava is other riders will have ridden and mapped out segments with notes about riding conditions. For example in my area other riders have noted segments littered with broken glass and debris that can cause flats and other road hazards, or areas with dangerous traffic merges, etc.

But there are others. I also use Cyclemeter (iPhone only -- shares data with Strava). Others include Map My Ride, and Ride With GPS. OsmAnd maps are handy for offline use where there's no cell phone coverage, or for phones without data plans.

For scheduled rides, try to share the route on Facebook in advance. Some folks may prefer some routes and not others. Include average speed, whether there will be rest stops, and whether it's a no-drop ride to pick up stragglers.

I'd also suggest regroup spots for stragglers in large groups, but frankly if that's necessary the group may be too large and needs a different organizational approach. Rather than making large group rides no-drop, it's better to split them into faster/slower groups, with ride monitors for each.

Speed.
If it's designated as a casual ride, or if the slower group is designated the B group or slower group, stick to that pace. One of the local groups I ride with has recently upped the pace without being consciously aware of it. The formerly 12 mph average has increased to 14-16 mph, or tackled more hill climbs, with a lot more straggling, folks taking wrong turns or dropping out completely. Even after 18 months back in the saddle and riding 20-60 miles per ride, 3-4 times a week, I'm still struggling to average better than 14 mph. So I've been skipping some rides where the pace has gradually increased over the past year.

While there's nothing wrong with a more challenging pace for the right conditions, tired riders make mistakes. A casual group ride is not the place for that. Tired riders gasping for breath tend not to focus on the road ahead but may look down and miss road hazards. Or quaking muscles may slow reflexes and be unable to dodge road hazards. And casual group riders aren't an experienced peloton. Wobbly wheels can cause accidents.

Choose a modest pace and stick to it.

Safety first.

Be sure the pavement is in good condition. If there are any potholes, ruts or wheel traps, be sure it's possible to avoid them without veering unexpectedly into traffic, or diverting into parked cars and other obstacles. Look for seams in pavement that can trap a wheel. Ditto drainage grates, particularly those that run parallel with traffic. If these are unavoidable on any feasible route be sure to note them on your app or map.

Learn basic hand signals and make sure group participants are familiar with the signals. Most groups also call out hazards and basic instructions. In large groups strung out down the road other riders will relay those voice commands/notifications: "Pothole!" or just "Hole!", "Slowing", "Stopping", "Turning right/left", etc.

The ride leader and any safety monitors should wear highly visible clothing, such as safety yellow/orange vests. Some folks on our night rides also wear vests with LED lights. Fast roadies may shun these, but for rides slower than 15 mph loose fitting clothing such as vests won't hinder anyone in normal conditions.

Look for routes that are comfortable to ride at a 12 mph average. In my own experience when I'd been back to cycling only a few months, and observing other casual cyclists, that's about the maximum average speed that's suitable for casual group rides. Anything faster than that becomes significantly more difficult in groups. Allow for uphill climbs. A faster pace and climbs will result in the group scattering and splitting. This may be acceptable if you have enough ride monitors, but if it's just you be sure to adjust the pace to keep the group together and avoid stragglers.

Read up on vehicular cycling and similar concepts. If your routes aren't strictly confined to multi-use paths or bike lanes, you'll need to take control of vehicle traffic lanes at times. Hugging the fog line or pavement edge can be more dangerous for everyone. But choose routes that minimize time on busy thoroughfares, especially when you and your group can't average 15-20 mph or faster.

Be sure you're comfortable riding in traffic. If you're not comfortable, the group won't be either. In some cases taking control of the lane is safest for everyone. It signals a clear intention to drivers that they need to go around to pass safely or wait for a safer opportunity to pass. Hugging the shoulder encourages dangerous lane splits -- vehicles passing halfway between your lane and the oncoming traffic lane. Rude, aggressive or uncertain drivers may attempt brush-by passes, with the danger of mirrors sideswiping you and your group.

Generally speaking riding in the rightmost vehicle wheel track is a safe practice for solo cyclists and small groups. With larger groups I'll often ride in the leftmost wheel track. Usually I'm running more taillights than most riders so I'll hang at the back of the pack near the rearmost ride safety monitor and ride the leftmost wheel track to give approaching vehicles plenty of notice to pass safely.

And generally speaking, avoid riding dead center in the lane. There may be slipping hazards from oil and debris, including gravel on some roads. Heavily trafficked wheel tracks are usually safest.

Distance.
10 miles is a pretty good ride for most casual and social groups. Plan on a rest stop midway -- pick a stop that's easy and safe to exit the road and merge again, and to regroup.

Figure on shorter rides if your participants include kids, folks who ride only occasionally and aren't in top condition, etc. Before starting take a look at everyone's bikes to check for obvious issues -- flat tires; bikes that don't seem to be working well; fixies or single speed bikes ridden by folks who aren't in good condition, especially if the route includes hills. I see lots of fixies on local rides yet only a few people who can ride them properly -- without weaving all over the place, especially at stops. Personally I think fixies are an abomination away from the velodrome but they aren't going away. Single speeds with freewheels and brakes are fine, if the riders can handle 'em on hills.

Support.
That's for larger, well organized group rides based around themes, fund raisers, with sponsors, sag wagons, first aid, etc.

For smaller casual group rides participants should be prepared to make their own way home or to the ER if necessary. But do have a backup plan. Besides 911, have phone numbers for cabs, Uber, Lyft, or other non-emergency transportation. AAA may include bicycle roadside assistance in some area.

Participants should be just as prepared for casual group rides as they would be for solo unsupported rides. Make this clear on the announcements. But, unofficially, have contingency plans.

Last edited by canklecat; 02-21-17 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-21-17, 06:29 AM
StoneFence

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again!

Originally Posted by canklecat
Routes.
Get a GPS cycling app for a smart phone, and/or paper map, to record every ride and ride around solo or with a partner until you find routes that are suited to casual group rides. Strava is pretty much the standard. The main advantage to Strava is other riders will have ridden and mapped out segments with notes about riding conditions. For example in my area other riders have noted segments littered with broken glass and debris that can cause flats and other road hazards, or areas with dangerous traffic merges, etc.

But there are others. I also use Cyclemeter (iPhone only -- shares data with Strava). Others include Map My Ride, and Ride With GPS. OsmAnd maps are handy for offline use where there's no cell phone coverage, or for phones without data plans.

For scheduled rides, try to share the route on Facebook in advance. Some folks may prefer some routes and not others. Include average speed, whether there will be rest stops, and whether it's a no-drop ride to pick up stragglers.

I'd also suggest regroup spots for stragglers in large groups, but frankly if that's necessary the group may be too large and needs a different organizational approach. Rather than making large group rides no-drop, it's better to split them into faster/slower groups, with ride monitors for each.

Speed.
If it's designated as a casual ride, or if the slower group is designated the B group or slower group, stick to that pace. One of the local groups I ride with has recently upped the pace without being consciously aware of it. The formerly 12 mph average has increased to 14-16 mph, or tackled more hill climbs, with a lot more straggling, folks taking wrong turns or dropping out completely. Even after 18 months back in the saddle and riding 20-60 miles per ride, 3-4 times a week, I'm still struggling to average better than 14 mph. So I've been skipping some rides where the pace has gradually increased over the past year.

While there's nothing wrong with a more challenging pace for the right conditions, tired riders make mistakes. A casual group ride is not the place for that. Tired riders gasping for breath tend not to focus on the road ahead but may look down and miss road hazards. Or quaking muscles may slow reflexes and be unable to dodge road hazards. And casual group riders aren't an experienced peloton. Wobbly wheels can cause accidents.

Choose a modest pace and stick to it.

Safety first.

Be sure the pavement is in good condition. If there are any potholes, ruts or wheel traps, be sure it's possible to avoid them without veering unexpectedly into traffic, or diverting into parked cars and other obstacles. Look for seams in pavement that can trap a wheel. Ditto drainage grates, particularly those that run parallel with traffic. If these are unavoidable on any feasible route be sure to note them on your app or map.

Learn basic hand signals and make sure group participants are familiar with the signals. Most groups also call out hazards and basic instructions. In large groups strung out down the road other riders will relay those voice commands/notifications: "Pothole!" or just "Hole!", "Slowing", "Stopping", "Turning right/left", etc.

The ride leader and any safety monitors should wear highly visible clothing, such as safety yellow/orange vests. Some folks on our night rides also wear vests with LED lights. Fast roadies may shun these, but for rides slower than 15 mph loose fitting clothing such as vests won't hinder anyone in normal conditions.

Look for routes that are comfortable to ride at a 12 mph average. In my own experience when I'd been back to cycling only a few months, and observing other casual cyclists, that's about the maximum average speed that's suitable for casual group rides. Anything faster than that becomes significantly more difficult in groups. Allow for uphill climbs. A faster pace and climbs will result in the group scattering and splitting. This may be acceptable if you have enough ride monitors, but if it's just you be sure to adjust the pace to keep the group together and avoid stragglers.

Read up on vehicular cycling and similar concepts. If your routes aren't strictly confined to multi-use paths or bike lanes, you'll need to take control of vehicle traffic lanes at times. Hugging the fog line or pavement edge can be more dangerous for everyone. But choose routes that minimize time on busy thoroughfares, especially when you and your group can't average 15-20 mph or faster.

Be sure you're comfortable riding in traffic. If you're not comfortable, the group won't be either. In some cases taking control of the lane is safest for everyone. It signals a clear intention to drivers that they need to go around to pass safely or wait for a safer opportunity to pass. Hugging the shoulder encourages dangerous lane splits -- vehicles passing halfway between your lane and the oncoming traffic lane. Rude, aggressive or uncertain drivers may attempt brush-by passes, with the danger of mirrors sideswiping you and your group.

Generally speaking riding in the rightmost vehicle wheel track is a safe practice for solo cyclists and small groups. With larger groups I'll often ride in the leftmost wheel track. Usually I'm running more taillights than most riders so I'll hang at the back of the pack near the rearmost ride safety monitor and ride the leftmost wheel track to give approaching vehicles plenty of notice to pass safely.

And generally speaking, avoid riding dead center in the lane. There may be slipping hazards from oil and debris, including gravel on some roads. Heavily trafficked wheel tracks are usually safest.

Distance.
10 miles is a pretty good ride for most casual and social groups. Plan on a rest stop midway -- pick a stop that's easy and safe to exit the road and merge again, and to regroup.

Figure on shorter rides if your participants include kids, folks who ride only occasionally and aren't in top condition, etc. Before starting take a look at everyone's bikes to check for obvious issues -- flat tires; bikes that don't seem to be working well; fixies or single speed bikes ridden by folks who aren't in good condition, especially if the route includes hills. I see lots of fixies on local rides yet only a few people who can ride them properly -- without weaving all over the place, especially at stops. Personally I think fixies are an abomination away from the velodrome but they aren't going away. Single speeds with freewheels and brakes are fine, if the riders can handle 'em on hills.

Support.
That's for larger, well organized group rides based around themes, fund raisers, with sponsors, sag wagons, first aid, etc.

For smaller casual group rides participants should be prepared to make their own way home or to the ER if necessary. But do have a backup plan. Besides 911, have phone numbers for cabs, Uber, Lyft, or other non-emergency transportation. AAA may include bicycle roadside assistance in some area.

Participants should be just as prepared for casual group rides as they would be for solo unsupported rides. Make this clear on the announcements. But, unofficially, have contingency plans.
Thank you so much for the comprehensive list. It's really helpful.
Old 02-21-17, 10:05 AM
welshTerrier2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I started a very successful casual cycling club five years ago. It didn’t all happen overnight and it’s taken lots of work to make it what it is today.

Here, in no particular order, are lots of things to get you started. First, as someone said, a regular ride schedule is absolutely essential.

We started out with one ride per week on Saturday mornings and added a Wednesday morning ride. Our rides start a little earlier (around 9:30 a.m.) in the warm months and around 10:30 a.m. in the cooler months.

Get an email list. Don’t just hope people will visit your website or your facebook page. Send them a ride notice for every ride. I send mine two days before the next upcoming ride. The ride notice includes starting time and location, a cue sheet, stats about the ride (distance, hilliness) and sometimes other information related to cycling (sales at nearby LBS, safety video link on youtube, article from a cycling publication, etc).

Build a team of helpers. We have a regular ride leader (it could be you) and a great sweep. The ride leader stops for rest breaks and for regrouping. He also is excellent at navigation. The sweep is friendly, nurturing and has good mechanical skills. He's exactly what we need at the back of the pack. Make your rides “no drop” rides. No one should ever be left on their own.

Keep the pace down… way down. You might not attract faster riders but a slower pace is more inclusive. If you want to grow, slow is the way to go. Make sure your riders understand this right up front. Tell them the goal is to grow. Eventually, if you get large enough, you can split into A groups, B groups etc. but don’t start out that way.

The focus of the club has to be on “social”. If your rides fragment with everyone doing their own thing, there is no club. Social means keeping the group together and making sure everyone has someone to ride with and to talk to.

We put a huge emphasis on food. We often spend as much time eating and talking as we do riding. Build those bonds among your riders and you will build something that endures. My riders come as much to be with each other as they do to ride. Social comes first!

We often host non-cycling activities. During the winter, we usually have a few lunches. We’ve gone to plays together because one of our members is an actress in local theatre. We’ve had kayak rides, hikes and a variety of other activities. We’re heavily centered around cycling but the variety is nice too.

Check out the League of American Bicyclists’ insurance program. If you join the League, you can get coverage through their program. We charge just $10 a year dues which pays for the League membership and the insurance. You can get a copy of their waiver form on the League’s website. We have people sign the waiver before every ride. Some groups just do it once a year. The insurance has been great for our members and it protects us too.

As for routes, I’ve created about 30 or 40 different routes of varying lengths and difficulties. The goal is safety and scenery with lots of variety. It was a ton of work to create these routes but, now that we have them, the weekly workload is much easier. We do much easier rides early in the season and then add length and hilliness as people get into shape later in the year. We also do about a month and a half of bike path rides (Saturday's only) in the spring and fall to encourage weaker riders to come with us. Some of them make the transition to riding on the roads once they gain more confidence.

Once we got a little larger, I printed up business cards. This is a great way to publicize your club. Hand out cards to people you meet on the roads. See if your local LBS will allow you to put out a bunch of cards. Maybe even do this at local restaurants. You can also publicize your club at a local farmers market or other public events. During the summer, we start some of our rides from the local farmers market. That's a great way to "be seen". Have your club members help you attract new members. Sometimes, you can also do a joint ride with another nearby club. You might be offering something that the other club doesn't.

Start slow, start steady and give the “customers” what they want and you can really build a club that people love. If you haven’t done much club riding, go out a few times with other clubs in your area and see what you like and don’t like about them. There’s a huge demand for what you’re trying to do. If you do it well, you’ll definitely be successful.

Good luck!!

Last edited by welshTerrier2; 02-21-17 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-21-17, 12:51 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,762 Times in 2,560 Posts
The following is regarding the U.S. I suspect that many countries are going to have this problem to some degree in the future, if not now. Waivers aren't worth the paper they are written on, so that is not really a consideration if you have any net worth at all. Insurance will possibly want you to have them. Most shops carry insurance that covers group rides. It's something to check. Insurance for a club is another matter. I know that most national organizations will help with that. If it's just a few friends, or friends of friends, then I wouldn't bother with insurance. Otherwise it's crazy not to have it.
Old 02-21-17, 02:40 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I started a monthly ride about a year and a half ago. It's a taco lunch ride. We meet up at 10:30am at a bar & grill along a local MUP. We head out at 11:00 and ride to a different taco place every month. Some months, I've had 30 riders show up. Other months, I've had three. I've had two different times that I rode it solo. I created a facebook page and I publish and event every month, usually two weeks before we ride with a route map to where we are eating that month. Mine is an all levels, no drop ride, so I plan the routes taking the MUPs and back streets in town. If we have to cross a major thoroughfare, I make sure there is a traffic light to cross with.

https://www.facebook.com/EastsideTacoRide
Old 02-21-17, 07:26 PM
StoneFence

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

Originally Posted by welshTerrier2
I started a very successful casual cycling club five years ago. It didn’t all happen overnight and it’s taken lots of work to make it what it is today.

Here, in no particular order, are lots of things to get you started. First, as someone said, a regular ride schedule is absolutely essential.

We started out with one ride per week on Saturday mornings and added a Wednesday morning ride. Our rides start a little earlier (around 9:30 a.m.) in the warm months and around 10:30 a.m. in the cooler months.

Get an email list. Don’t just hope people will visit your website or your facebook page. Send them a ride notice for every ride. I send mine two days before the next upcoming ride. The ride notice includes starting time and location, a cue sheet, stats about the ride (distance, hilliness) and sometimes other information related to cycling (sales at nearby LBS, safety video link on youtube, article from a cycling publication, etc).

Build a team of helpers. We have a regular ride leader (it could be you) and a great sweep. The ride leader stops for rest breaks and for regrouping. He also is excellent at navigation. The sweep is friendly, nurturing and has good mechanical skills. He's exactly what we need at the back of the pack. Make your rides “no drop” rides. No one should ever be left on their own.

Keep the pace down… way down. You might not attract faster riders but a slower pace is more inclusive. If you want to grow, slow is the way to go. Make sure your riders understand this right up front. Tell them the goal is to grow. Eventually, if you get large enough, you can split into A groups, B groups etc. but don’t start out that way.

The focus of the club has to be on “social”. If your rides fragment with everyone doing their own thing, there is no club. Social means keeping the group together and making sure everyone has someone to ride with and to talk to.

We put a huge emphasis on food. We often spend as much time eating and talking as we do riding. Build those bonds among your riders and you will build something that endures. My riders come as much to be with each other as they do to ride. Social comes first!

We often host non-cycling activities. During the winter, we usually have a few lunches. We’ve gone to plays together because one of our members is an actress in local theatre. We’ve had kayak rides, hikes and a variety of other activities. We’re heavily centered around cycling but the variety is nice too.

Check out the League of American Bicyclists’ insurance program. If you join the League, you can get coverage through their program. We charge just $10 a year dues which pays for the League membership and the insurance. You can get a copy of their waiver form on the League’s website. We have people sign the waiver before every ride. Some groups just do it once a year. The insurance has been great for our members and it protects us too.

As for routes, I’ve created about 30 or 40 different routes of varying lengths and difficulties. The goal is safety and scenery with lots of variety. It was a ton of work to create these routes but, now that we have them, the weekly workload is much easier. We do much easier rides early in the season and then add length and hilliness as people get into shape later in the year. We also do about a month and a half of bike path rides (Saturday's only) in the spring and fall to encourage weaker riders to come with us. Some of them make the transition to riding on the roads once they gain more confidence.

Once we got a little larger, I printed up business cards. This is a great way to publicize your club. Hand out cards to people you meet on the roads. See if your local LBS will allow you to put out a bunch of cards. Maybe even do this at local restaurants. You can also publicize your club at a local farmers market or other public events. During the summer, we start some of our rides from the local farmers market. That's a great way to "be seen". Have your club members help you attract new members. Sometimes, you can also do a joint ride with another nearby club. You might be offering something that the other club doesn't.

Start slow, start steady and give the “customers” what they want and you can really build a club that people love. If you haven’t done much club riding, go out a few times with other clubs in your area and see what you like and don’t like about them. There’s a huge demand for what you’re trying to do. If you do it well, you’ll definitely be successful.

Good luck!!
This is how I envision things happening, however I'm not in a position to start and maintain a club. I'm hoping the LBS will gain a little from hosting the start of monthly rides. I have a selfish interest in keeping it open(really good bike shop).
Old 02-21-17, 07:29 PM
StoneFence

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yum!

Originally Posted by MMACH 5
I started a monthly ride about a year and a half ago. It's a taco lunch ride. We meet up at 10:30am at a bar & grill along a local MUP. We head out at 11:00 and ride to a different taco place every month. Some months, I've had 30 riders show up. Other months, I've had three. I've had two different times that I rode it solo. I created a facebook page and I publish and event every month, usually two weeks before we ride with a route map to where we are eating that month. Mine is an all levels, no drop ride, so I plan the routes taking the MUPs and back streets in town. If we have to cross a major thoroughfare, I make sure there is a traffic light to cross with.
I wish we had ONE taco place to ride to! What a great project.
Old 02-22-17, 09:29 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StoneFence

I organized a couple of weekly rides on Austin Cyclist Meetup. I had to get somebody who was already an organizer give me organizer status. Do you have any cycling Meetup groups where you live?

Don in Austin
Old 02-23-17, 06:24 AM
StoneFence

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Don in Austin
I organized a couple of weekly rides on Austin Cyclist Meetup. I had to get somebody who was already an organizer give me organizer status. Do you have any cycling Meetup groups where you live?

Don in Austin
Will look into it. Thank you!
Old 02-23-17, 06:27 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
canklecat and welshTerrier2, between the two of you, that's some pretty good information.

I've been using the website MeetUp to find area rides, but if I ever decide to start organizing my own ride groups, this info would definitely come in handy.

Old 02-23-17, 08:37 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Every time I read a thread of this type, I think to myself that line from old Mickey Rooney / Judy Garland movies, “Hey kids, Let’s put on a show.” FWIW, my usual reply is:
Captain Bringdown replying here, as I do to other threads of a similar nature, about the question of LIABILITY for the other riders...
Originally Posted by welshTerrier2
I started a very successful casual cycling club five years ago. It didn’t all happen overnight and it’s taken lots of work to make it what it is today...

Check out the League of American Bicyclists’ insurance program. If you join the League, you can get coverage through their program. We charge just $10 a year dues which pays for the League membership and the insurance. You can get a copy of their waiver form on the League’s website. We have people sign the waiver before every ride. Some groups just do it once a year. The insurance has been great for our members and it protects us too…
Captain Bringdown again. I have met with @welshTerrier2, and ridden a couple of times with his Club. Hats off to him. He is very dedicated and has developed a well-organized and sociable group with an active Ride schedule on great routes. I have limited access to their rides due to geography and time, but this riding season might be better for me, wT2.