Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Home gym

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-17, 05:43 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Home gym

Off topic, but I wanted to get input into this. I decided to set up a home gym about 18 months ago, when I was off work and couldn't get away from the house much at all - I was doing home care/hospice for my mother, and had literally no idea if I would be stuck there for weeks, months, or a few years. Fate being ironic, she died a few months after that, and I was able to resume my life outside of that role, which meant getting back to the gym near my office on a regular basis, 3 to 5 times a week.

I ordered a bunch of equipment. It's all been sitting there waiting to be used. I have the following major equipment: treadmill, rower, skiier, olympic style weight bench/rack, bowflex multi-purpose resistance machine, cycling trainer. In minor stuff, I have: dumbell sets, a couple of kettlebells, a couple of medicine balls, resistance bands, a TRX kit (pretty basic one), ab dolly, bosu, stability platform, a couple of VIPRs, a rope ladder, a heavy bag and punching bag, I'm sure a few other odds and ends that I can't remember right now. And I do have a couple of different foam rollers, mats, etc for stretches and rolling out sore muscles, which is important.

I know there are a few more things I need to do this the right way: a set of jump boxes, a couple of different weights of Active Motion bars, one more very heavy kettlebell, and some kind of weight sled along the lines of a Prowler.

So, what else do I need - any input on other equipment anyone likes/uses/recommends?

My main quandry though is where to set this up? I have two choices - use two separate smaller rooms that are at opposite ends of the house - I would make one a cardio room, the other a weight room -- OR, put it all downstairs in my basement in one space? The down side of that is getting the treadmill down there, it's an old house, and there isn't a lot of room to move big things around a tight landing/turn in the stairs.

So, keep it all together in one place, or spread it out into two rooms?
Old 03-25-17, 06:20 AM
LiquorLad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should of got a power rack over the Bow Flex. You can do all the necessary compound lifts on it like incline/ flat/ decline bench press, pull ups/ chin ups, front/ back squats, barbell lunges, calf raises, bent over rows, good mornings, dips, etc. And you can expand on that if it has a cables that take Olympic weights for various triceps, arm curls, abs, & rowing excercises.

With free weighs your using balancing muscles, can move up in very gradual weight, and move with smoother motions, something you can't do on a Bow Flex. As well as 100lbs on a Bow Flex isn't the same with free weights.

To expand on what you already have, I'd look at adding some dumbells, at least one mirror, a fan, curling bar, & some Olympic weights. Good luck with your workouts!

Last edited by LiquorLad; 03-25-17 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-25-17, 07:19 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Liked 943 Times in 505 Posts
I like the basement option, not only because your equipment will be all together, but it's cooler down there. That's where my home gym is. I have mirrors on one wall too.
Old 03-25-17, 09:36 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I like the basement option, not only because your equipment will be all together, but it's cooler down there. That's where my home gym is. I have mirrors on one wall too.
I had that thought, too. I keep my house cold in the winter (60 at night and daytime, 65-68 when I'm there) because I like it that way. I keep it warmer in the summer because the AC really gobbles electricity - and the temp I am most comfortable doing cardio at would require cracking the AC to high to cool off the room.
Old 03-25-17, 11:01 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Liked 1,761 Times in 873 Posts
My wife keeps her dumb bell in bed with her at night.
Old 03-25-17, 01:43 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Liked 850 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
That's funny stuff!

Dan
Old 03-25-17, 03:51 PM
RunForTheHills

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Usually you can remove the console and arms from the treadmill with a few bolts and unplug the wiring harness to make it easier to move. I have done this and put the deck on its side on a furniture dolly to move one between rooms by myself. For taking it downstairs, I would hire a couple of young guys with strong backs.
Old 03-25-17, 04:59 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Liked 552 Times in 159 Posts
Here is what I have in the basement, approaching 80yo. Not shown - weight bench, dip bar (I attach to the safety cage) and pullup bar. However, I find as I gain more maturity over the past 10 years I tend much more towards body weight exercises - TRX, pushups, pullups, chinups, planks, dips. In addition, a lot of stretching, spinning (have videos), bicycling, swimming, balance activities and walking. You can see one of my videos for my TRX workouts on the monitors. I also go to the gym from time to time and "amaze" the folks there with 32 unassisted dips in a row. All the folks my age do assisted dips and chinups. I really do not do bench press and similar much any more.

Last edited by gobicycling; 03-25-17 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-26-17, 07:25 PM
B. Carfree

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I'd also vote for putting the whole thing in the basement. I tend to warm up with lots of cardio and then move on to weights, so I want them all together.

As far as any additional equipment, you might consider rollers instead of the trainer. There's something magical about the bike control and pedaling technique that one learns by routinely using rollers. They come with all sorts of bells and whistles now, so you can also get a good resistance workout on them. Also, they can be stored in such a way as to take up very little space, if that's an issue.
Old 04-05-17, 12:52 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,385 Posts
wish I could help ya. but I can't workout at home. if I go to the gym, I do something. too many distractions at home like filling the bird feeder
Old 04-05-17, 01:36 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
I'm a big fan of P90X - primarily bodyweight and gravity, with a few dumbbells and tension bands here and there.
Old 04-06-17, 07:50 AM
CrankyOne

Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Over complicated for me. I have a TACX trainer, some free weights, and a big rubber ball. Floor is rubbery stuff. (my wife has an elliptical).

Most of my daily exercise is riding my bike and walking to lunch, grocery, and other places. I also do a few pushups, sit ups, and leg raises. If weather prevents riding outside then I'll occasionally hop on the TACX. My goal is to stay healthy, fit, not overweight, and not too unappealing for the gals at the beach.
Old 04-06-17, 06:44 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Liked 351 Times in 198 Posts
I put together a decent home gym...Spinning bike, elliptical trainer, and a Weider Crossbow strength trainer.

I found myself quitting earlier than I should on the days I wasn't motivated, so I joined a gym.

I seem to be more motivated whenever dues are involved.
Old 04-06-17, 07:34 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I guess the positive is that it is singular, and not plural...
Old 04-07-17, 12:53 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
I have found martial art training to be good due to the release of fight (or flight) adrenalin. I find it more and more difficult to get the oomph for exercise. Imagining I am fighting helps. I want a couple of 4 to 6 lbs dumbbells, limb weights and a punch bag.
Old 04-07-17, 08:49 PM
Timj219

Bikes: 2017 Giant Escape 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your problem might be easier to solve if you had less stuff. Maybe all the equipment adds to the enjoyment so you're willing to give up all that space. But you could probably get/stay just as fit with just dumbbells, incline bench, rollers and maybe a pullup-dip station. Use the extra space for your other interests.
Old 04-11-17, 01:21 AM
Tony G

Bikes: Crown Jewel,Serotta ottrott, Serotta CSI and a few more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd consider a home gym but I'd miss all the yoga pants at the Y.

After a bad injury I was introduced to TRX as part of the rehab. If I were to do a home gym all I could think of that I can't address with a TRX would be heavy resistance for my legs... squats etc.