Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Looking for 26" skinwall tires - suggestions"

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-17, 08:38 PM
DanBF

Bikes: 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1987 Schwinn Prelude, 1974 Schwinn World Traveler, 1999 Bianchi Campione, 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper, Schwinn High Plains

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking for a minimal tread 26" skinwall or tan sidewall tire for my 1990 Schwinn High Plains bicycle - a mid-range mountain bike that came stock with 2.0" tires. This bike probably won't see any off-road use other than country roads or rail to trail limestone trails and won't ever be used in snow. I will mainly use it to commute about 5 miles one way to work but I may take it on a two day rail-trail ride. Panaracer Pasela PT's would be ideal except I can't find anything wider than 1.75 inches wide. I wonder if that size would look "lost" on the bike. I would prefer something about 2" wide and less than $35 per tire if possible. I like Pasela PTs because I've heard they are have a nice balance between durability and smooth ride and moderate price. I'm not considering Compass brand tires because they have the reputation of being fragile and expensive.

The only tires I found in my search are the WTB DTH and the DMR Supermoto but I know nothing about them. I really like the old school look of skinwall tires but I may go with Schwalbe Big Apple, Big Ben or Marathon green guard tires if I have to. I heard the Marathon Green Guard tires have good rolling resistance but can be rough riding.

Anyways, I'd like to hear what you think.
Old 04-03-17, 10:23 PM
RunForTheHills

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Did you try searching for gumwall tires? It seems like there is quite a few.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...rds=26+gumwall
Old 04-03-17, 11:03 PM
DanBF

Bikes: 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1987 Schwinn Prelude, 1974 Schwinn World Traveler, 1999 Bianchi Campione, 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper, Schwinn High Plains

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Your search is bringing mostly a bunch of the Schwinn 26" "fractional" pre mountain bike tires. Different animal. The Kenda K838 might be a possibility though. It is available in the 1.95 size. The Kenda K53 is too aggressive and at $13 probably crap. Schwalbe Road Cruiser HS 377 is interesting but max size is 1.75 so I would probably go with the Pasela instead.
Old 04-03-17, 11:57 PM
QStorm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A company named Resist makes a minimal tread skinwall 26 x 2.25 tire called the Nomad.

Nomad Tires by Resist Parts ? Demolition Parts Co

I've never used it but it looks really interesting. Also, Compass makes the Rat Trap Pass slick skinwall tires in 26 x 2.3

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...rat-trap-pass/

I've also never used these either but a lot of people swear by them and love them even if they are kind of pricey....
Old 04-04-17, 12:35 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Liked 2,150 Times in 1,402 Posts
The Pasela shouldn't look amiss. MTB tires got bigger, back then they were 1.95-2.1, not 2.3 like today, and tires today seem to run true to listed size while the old ones were smaller than listed.

If you want a very light and fast balloon option you could look at the Rat Trap Pass from Compass.

Original bike look:
Schwinn catalogs, 1981 - 1990 (436 of 456)
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-04-17, 08:13 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Liked 943 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by DanBF
I'm not considering Compass brand tires because they have the reputation of being fragile and expensive.

I've not had any trouble over the two years I've used Compass tires on several bikes, nor have I read reviews of them being fragile. Maybe you know something I don't?

They are a bit more expensive than most other tires though, which I suppose could be a deal breaker for some. But they ride soooo nice....
Old 04-04-17, 08:26 AM
grolby

Liked 92 Times in 63 Posts
On a 1990 MTB, 1.75" Paselas should look just fine.
Old 04-04-17, 09:46 AM
DanBF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your replies. I'm going to get the 1.75" Paselas. It just occurred to me that fat tires also increase your bottom bracket height and my bike being an MTB already is high compared to a road bike. And 1.75" should be plenty to give a smooth ride on roads and rail trails.

I am keeping the Compass tires in mind for when I get a nicer bike. I just hate to have so much $$$ invested in a bike that could get stolen.
Old 04-11-17, 05:22 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,600 Times in 1,593 Posts
I'm a little late to chime in, but I've had the 1.75" Paselas on one bike for years, and I love them. They are reasonably fast, light, and durable for the price.

I plan to try the Compass 1.8" Naches Pass once these wear out, but I realize they probably won't be three times better.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-11-17, 07:09 PM
wschruba

Liked 66 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by DanBF
[snip]I'm not considering Compass brand tires because they have the reputation of being fragile and expensive.
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I've not had any trouble over the two years I've used Compass tires on several bikes, nor have I read reviews of them being fragile. Maybe you know something I don't?

They are a bit more expensive than most other tires though, which I suppose could be a deal breaker for some. But they ride soooo nice....
I ride some of their larger 700 tires regularly over chip seal, field stone, and the occasional area of broken seashells (dropped by the seagulls onto the only hard surface around)...I have no problems with them whatsoever.

They are quite a bit lighter than other brands 'slick' tires, but most of that is in the sidewalls. How many sidewall cuts have you gotten on your tires?
Old 04-11-17, 07:19 PM
TourDeHood

Bikes: Surly Midnight Special, All-City Big Block, Surly Karate Monkey (sold), Kona Jake(gone)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Gumwall, not skinwall.
Old 04-11-17, 09:12 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Liked 943 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by wschruba
They are quite a bit lighter than other brands 'slick' tires, but most of that is in the sidewalls.
There also are no flat protection layers of any sort in the tread of Compass tires which would increase their rolling resistance.

How many sidewall cuts have you gotten on your tires?
No sidewall cuts and only one flat total for me. This is with over 3000 miles on my first pair (still rolling) and over a thousand each on two other bikes. At least for me, those extra flat protection layers which degrade the ride are not missed.

Compass also offers an "Extralight" version, which weighs slightly less than their "Standard" and is even more supple and expensive. I believe the only difference is a thinner sidewall. I've not tried them because I figure the standard is plenty light enough. (248g vs. 229g in the 28mm)