Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Riding the Raleigh DL-1

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Riding the Raleigh DL-1

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-17, 01:43 PM
blackhawknj

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Riding the Raleigh DL-1

i finally got my Raleigh DL-1 on the road. A 1976, otherwise unridden, a new bike for all practical purposes. Came with the original Raleigh tyres and tubes, had to replace a tube. Has the very desireable-to me-22" frame, I had a 24" badged as a Royal Scot, not meant for my 5'10" height and 30" inseam. Installed a SRAM 24 tooth cog, that lowers the gears nicely. I live at the top of a fairly long-about 7/8 of a mile grade, hence 3rd Gear is about 73-close to my favorite level gear of 70, the other two are for hill climbing. Lengthened the chain by two links plus a half link, found that in a local bike shop, superior design, has a nut and square bolt at the one end. Had to replace a chain tensioner, got one at a local bike shop, had to enlarge the center hole, fits fine now. A Midland rear rack, made a bracket for a flasher, a Carradice College bag, an old Union block generator in front. Has a cheap generic saddle on it, a sheepskin saddle cover makes it comfortable. Have Kenda tires on order plus a Brooks B-73. Realized a pad is missing from the front brake, found that reduces stopping power by 50%-a pad missing from a more modern style reduces stopping power by 100%. The 28x 1 1/2" tires absorb road shock nicely. In service as a commuter. Lets me go back 50-60 years or so.
Old 04-21-17, 02:20 PM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Bikes: Trek 7.4, Gitane Super Corsa '71, Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, Charrel '78, Tommasini Diamante, Trek Verve+

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
let's see some photos please!
Old 04-21-17, 03:24 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 3,998 Times in 2,377 Posts
Good choice to choose a cog where 3rd gear is your flat land one, learned this from a old mentor long ago and it still is sensible. While I have a too large stable already if I came across a 26/590 wheeled rod brake bike I'd likely add to my collection. Andy.
Old 04-22-17, 01:10 AM
BigChief

Liked 104 Times in 86 Posts
You're going back more like 80 years. Your DL-1 isn't much different than the Model 1 Popular of the 1930s. The Tourist model 2 was really just a deluxe version of the model 1. At some point, Raleigh replaced the model 2 designation with the DL for deluxe and it remained that way till the bitter end. I really like these bikes. A very elegant ride.
Old 04-22-17, 07:44 AM
jcb3

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Nice job riding a DL-1. I rode one around in the 70s and remember the tank-like handling (nothing slowed it down once it was going, but was not exactly a cornering machine) and that it made a Schwinn Varsity feel lightweight
Old 04-22-17, 08:44 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Liked 5,404 Times in 1,869 Posts
Yep, we need pics, lots of them! The tires are OK? I usually find dry, cracked rubber on the old original tires.
Old 04-22-17, 12:06 PM
blackhawknj

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Pictures when I figure out how, I'm still back in the 1960s when it comes to technology. The tires were in good shape, unridden, however the generator wheel of the Union Block Generator chewed up the sidewall of the front tire. Probably make a Forrester wheel.
I recall reading Raleigh advertisements from the 1970s saying the DL-1 was "especially designed for tall people." On another board a member said when it was introduced frame standover height was not as important, being up off the ground from rough pavement, unpaved roads, horse manure was, and with much less traffic, no traffic lights, stop and go cycling comfort was not as crucial.
Old 04-22-17, 03:33 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Liked 936 Times in 356 Posts
The "tall riders" thinking in the ad was an attempt to find a niche for what was, by that point, a thoroughly traditional and "backward looking" bicycle. As you mention, the DL-1's size, large wheels, and ground clearance all are meant to deal with obstacles and difficult roads. At least that was the purpose in the early 20th century for this type of bike.

The DL-1 is one of the classic "commuter" bikes. It could well be you're in an area where the DL-1 is actually quite a good choice, depending on the roads, traffic, and situations you deal with commuting.

If our roads deteriorate enough, we will have roads like we had in the early 20th century: rough with many holes and obstacles requiring bigger tires, higher ground clearance, and more robust frames.
Old 04-22-17, 05:59 PM
frameteam2003

Bikes: old,older.and very old

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride one on our Retiree city ride---My DL is heavily modified but retains the 635iso tire size and great DL ride. Nuttin better for a nice slow city type ride