Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Porteur Rack value/price differences?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-17, 03:36 PM
TourDeHood

Bikes: Surly Midnight Special, All-City Big Block, Surly Karate Monkey (sold), Kona Jake(gone)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I am really curious about the difference in cost/value when it comes to these. Is the Velo Orange(Soma, Gamoh, etc) really worth $80 more than say, Origin 8? or 60 more than Rawland? Or even over $100 more than a Pure Cycle? Not to mention Pass & Stow (which I get...it's handmade).

My question is what exactly are you paying for when you purchase a higher end rack and does that price translate when it comes to overall value.

I am happy to grab a higher end one, I just want to make sure it is ($50, $100, etc) more of a rack.

Last edited by TourDeHood; 05-08-17 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-08-17, 05:15 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
It depends on what your hauling and how heavy it is? Have you visited any bike shops to see what they have and compare?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-08-17, 06:17 PM
wschruba

Liked 64 Times in 49 Posts
Racks vary wildly in their overall quality and features when you look at something for, say, $80, and an equivalent for $180.

To use Nitto as an example, their "Campee" front rack retails just around $300. An "equivalent" product might be Velo Orange's version, even though it is stainless versus chromoly, at $200. The Nitto rack has a far higher finish level (plainly obvious, if you actually see them in person), and the lowrider mounts are removable, if you don't need them. On the other hand, the Velo Orange rack has a decaleur integrated, and the Nitto does not.

Features are important, but so is material and finish. You would need to pick what is most important for your uses--that might be a $20 aluminum front mini-rack, or it might be a $150 chromoly one.

To get more than generalizations, you might start by saying what you plan to use it/them for.
Old 05-08-17, 06:21 PM
TourDeHood

Bikes: Surly Midnight Special, All-City Big Block, Surly Karate Monkey (sold), Kona Jake(gone)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
It depends on what your hauling and how heavy it is? Have you visited any bike shops to see what they have and compare?
Yeah, I hit up my LBS's and they spoke mostly about weight, looks and reputation.

I am not going to be carrying huge loads so capacity is not an issue. I simply dig the way they look, in addition to their functionality TBH.
Old 05-08-17, 06:28 PM
TourDeHood

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wschruba
Racks vary wildly in their overall quality and features when you look at something for, say, $80, and an equivalent for $180.

To use Nitto as an example, their "Campee" front rack retails just around $300. An "equivalent" product might be Velo Orange's version, even though it is stainless versus chromoly, at $200. The Nitto rack has a far higher finish level (plainly obvious, if you actually see them in person), and the lowrider mounts are removable, if you don't need them. On the other hand, the Velo Orange rack has a decaleur integrated, and the Nitto does not.

Features are important, but so is material and finish. You would need to pick what is most important for your uses--that might be a $20 aluminum front mini-rack, or it might be a $150 chromoly one.

To get more than generalizations, you might start by saying what you plan to use it/them for.

Full disclosure...I just think portuer racks look badazz! I do however see my myself using it (I have a sweet rack bag, summer jobs delivering food, grocery runs etc). I dont need one that has pannier hooks, just perhaps a rail.
Old 05-09-17, 03:50 AM
blakcloud

Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I owned two Gamoh porteur racks and both diving boards broke while the bikes were loaded. Lucky for me I used a toe clip strap on the second one to use as a fail-safe device and it held the rack in place until I could fix it. When the first one broke I didn't crash but it was scary. Gamoh has since beefed up this part on the new racks. I ended up selling them because they weighed a ton and I really didn't need something that heavy duty. Now I use a mini front rack from Nitto.

If I needed a new porteur rack I would buy a Pass and Stow. I saw the rack and met the builder at NAHBS and this rack is well built. It might be overkill for you and your needs but outside of custom this is the one to buy.
Old 05-09-17, 07:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
you are comparing ready mades,? (No personal experience with any, you list)

Consider hiring one custom made for you and then you can specify what you need it to do.

Have one made by Paul Comp.. their 'flatbed' , in aluminum , I don't haul much.. it is made to fit most bikes.

so mounting flexibility not surprisingly, reduces the rigidity ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-09-17 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-09-17, 07:21 AM
indyfabz

Liked 16,180 Times in 7,598 Posts
Originally Posted by wschruba
To use Nitto as an example, their "Campee" front rack retails just around $300.

If you are talking about this (which I own), $218 through Rivendell:

https://www.rivbike.com/collections/...rack-34f-20075

Nickel plated CrMo steel. Lots of hardware for a good fit. Worth every penny to me. I have used the front platform to carry large bundles of packaged firewood to my campsite. Also large enough for a sleeping bag if I need extra room for food some days.
Old 05-09-17, 09:07 AM
blakcloud

Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
If you are talking about this (which I own), $218 through Rivendell:

https://www.rivbike.com/collections/...rack-34f-20075
I think a Campee is really this one. Nitto Campee Front 650b Touring Rack
Old 05-09-17, 10:57 AM
indyfabz

Liked 16,180 Times in 7,598 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
I think a Campee is really this one. Nitto Campee Front 650b Touring Rack
Zoinks! Didn't know they were still around. I have seen the Nitto one from Rivendell referred to as the Campee. Thought it was a replacement for the original, but that seems to not be the case.
Old 05-09-17, 12:10 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by TourDeHood
I dont need one that has pannier hooks, just perhaps a rail.
I think the expensive ones from VO and Soma have eyelets to attach rails and lights. That, and the small-batch-penalty is why they cost more.
Old 05-09-17, 12:18 PM
Craptacular8

Liked 38 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
I think the expensive ones from VO and Soma have eyelets to attach rails and lights. That, and the small-batch-penalty is why they cost more.
The VO rack includes the rails around the platform. It also has the bosses for attaching lights, or other accutrements. I have and use the VO porteur rack. Very nice finish.